2022 our 25th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

Shop our online store for music lovers
SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Pianoteq
Steinway Spiro Layering
(ad)
Piano Life Saver - Dampp Chaser
Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver
(ad)
Wessell Nickel & Gross
PianoForAll
Who's Online Now
39 members (Animisha, brennbaer, Carey, ChristoVanRensburg, AndrewJCW, bwv543, 8 invisible), 592 guests, and 260 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
(ad)
Estonia Pianos
Estonia Pianos
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
G
OP Offline
G
Hi all,
Given that I'm not a professional tuner but have been tuning my upright piano for 30 years, I now have a baby grand Kawai GL-10 piano that needs more frequent tuning than upright. Is it just because it's new? I don't remember these problems with the upright.
I can't just rely on a professional tuner because when a note or two start detuning and meowing, what do you do, you call him? no, of course you will call it when the piano is well detuned but in the meantime the few detuned notes are a punch in the stomach.
Also, the last three single-stringed notes, before the two-stringed ones begin, have a very nasal sound. Some advice?

Thanks to all

My music is on youtube or SoundCloud, name Giko Gomez
(ad)
Piano & Music Accessories
piano accessories music gifts tuning and moving equipment
J
J
A new piano will generally go out of tune faster than a piano in good shape that isn’t new. Also, a piano that was recently moved may take some time to settle into the new environment. Also, if the grand is in a different spot of the house which is more subjected to temperature or humidity swings then that could affect it as well.

That’s on top that pianos have their own personalities when it comes to tuning.

You didn’t say how long you’ve had the grand piano.

J
J
New strings take time to stretch out.

G
OP Offline
G
Originally Posted by joggerjazz
New strings take time to stretch out.

Thanks so much for you feedback
Then this solve both problem? The detune and the nasal sound?

J
J
Some notes have 2 or 3 strings. Different lengths per note and go out of phase.
An ongoing dillema. The more you tune it and keep temp/humidity constant the better it should stay in tune.
New strung pianos expect around 12 tunings before the speaking length of string settles down.

2000 Post Club Member
2000 Post Club Member
That 'nasal' sound may just be part of the design for this short piano... There are limitations that the crossover between bass and tenor reveal on many instruments.

Ron Koval

Piano/instrument technician
www.ronkoval.com

P
5000 Post Club Member
5000 Post Club Member
P
Originally Posted by Giko Gomez
Hi all,
Given that I'm not a professional tuner but have been tuning my upright piano for 30 years, I now have a baby grand Kawai GL-10 piano that needs more frequent tuning than upright. Is it just because it's new? I don't remember these problems with the upright.
I can't just rely on a professional tuner because when a note or two start detuning and meowing, what do you do, you call him? no, of course you will call it when the piano is well detuned but in the meantime the few detuned notes are a punch in the stomach.
Also, the last three single-stringed notes, before the two-stringed ones begin, have a very nasal sound. Some advice?

Thanks to all

A 30 year old piano vs a brand new one...yes, there is a difference. It generally takes about three years for it to settle down realistically. Also, you need good humidity control. Finally, you are talking the bass/tenor break which is always problematic on overstrung pianos. You need the services of a skilled tech who knows voicing and mass loading of the soundboard. If you look onside you will see that the last few notes in the tenor are in a completely different area of the soundboard, are on a separate bridge on the soundboard, AND have different wire than on the bass strings. Adding to that is the physical weight/size difference of the hammers right at that point. Yes, there is a reason why those notes sound "different"...a good reason.

Peter Grey Piano Doctor

Peter W. Grey, RPT
New Hampshire Seacoast
www.seacoastpianodoctor.com
pianodoctor57@gmail.com
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PK0T7_I_nV8
G
OP Offline
G
Originally Posted by P W Grey
Originally Posted by Giko Gomez
Hi all,

Thanks to all

A 30 year old piano vs a brand new one...yes, there is a difference. It generally takes about three years for it to settle down realistically. Also, you need good humidity control. Finally, you are talking the bass/tenor break which is always problematic on overstrung pianos. You need the services of a skilled tech who knows voicing and mass loading of the soundboard. If you look onside you will see that the last few notes in the tenor are in a completely different area of the soundboard, are on a separate bridge on the soundboard, AND have different wire than on the bass strings. Adding to that is the physical weight/size difference of the hammers right at that point. Yes, there is a reason why those notes sound "different"...a good reason.

Peter Grey Piano Doctor

i understand, but so, why only 3 notes sound different? Not only that 3 strings are hosted in a different armonic table.
Descending from hight to low notes, its are the first 3 notes with one string. all other are ok, of course i do not have the bass of a 278 piano, but at least not nasal.

A precisation, i bought my piano as new brand, but now it is 2 years old.

G
OP Offline
G
Originally Posted by joggerjazz
Some notes have 2 or 3 strings. Different lengths per note and go out of phase.
An ongoing dillema. The more you tune it and keep temp/humidity constant the better it should stay in tune.
New strung pianos expect around 12 tunings before the speaking length of string settles down.

Even i think to be good in tuning, once per year i call the tech, and i will talk about it, thanks

Moderated by  Piano World 

Link Copied to Clipboard
(ad)
Best of Piano Buyer
Piano Buyer - Read the Articles, Explore the website
(ad)
PianoDisc

PianoDisc
(ad)
Faust Harrison Pianos
Faust Harrison 100+ Steinway pianos
(ad)
Mason & Hamlin Pianos
New Topics - Multiple Forums
On-Stage KB9503B Adjustable Height Piano Bench
by TheophilusCarter - 08/12/22 10:15 PM
Cant i identify a piano, need help
by Orisolo - 08/12/22 09:34 PM
1983 Yamaha C7 Concert Grand Piano
by Joshua Lauriston - 08/12/22 05:39 PM
The Fugue, a Form or a Technique ?
by Sidokar - 08/12/22 06:34 AM
Download Sheet Music
Virtual Sheet Music - Classical Sheet Music Downloads
What's Hot!!
FREE June Newsletter is Here!
--------------------
Forums RULES, Terms of Service & HELP
(updated 06/06/2022)
-------------------
Music Store Going Out of Business Sale!
---------------------
Mr. PianoWorld's Original Composition
---------------------
Sell Your Piano on our world famous Piano Forums!
---------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
-------------------
ADVERTISE on Piano World
Forum Statistics
Forums43
Topics214,369
Posts3,215,892
Members106,074
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010
Please Support Our Advertisers

Faust Harrison 100+ Steinways

Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver

Best of Piano Buyer

PianoTeq Bechstein
Visit our online store for gifts for music lovers

Virtual Sheet Music - Classical Sheet Music Downloads

Help keep the forums up and running with a donation, any amount is appreciated!
Or by becoming a Subscribing member! Thank-you.
Donate   Subscribe

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations | Pianos For Sale | Sell Your Piano |

Advertise on Piano World
| Subscribe | Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map | Free Newsletter | MapleStreetMusicShop.com - Our store in Cornish Maine

© copyright 1997 - 2022 Piano World ® all rights reserved
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission