2022 our 25th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Who's Online Now
58 members (APianistHasNoName, Adam Reynolds, Carey, brdwyguy, beeboss, Chris B, Cheeeeee, 10 invisible), 1,853 guests, and 274 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 3 of 4 1 2 3 4
K
3000 Post Club Member
3000 Post Club Member
K
It's invalid, because the chosen measurement is an arbitrary point of reference. therefore it can not be compared between pianos, as on EACH piano that point represents a completely different set of optimization goals from their respective engineering group. like i said, sweetwater should've consulted their physics department. that list is not only useless and it confuses the customer. what they've done is the same as measuring the color of hair on 50 runners, and we're supposed to now infer the athlete's athletic characteristics. there may be a correlation, but it's so weak that it's useless.

Last edited by KawaFanboi; 08/01/22 09:06 AM.
C
4000 Post Club Member
4000 Post Club Member
C
As for the grading zones, here a former (then current) Roland employee mentions 7 zones for the PHA-4, at least the long keystick versions: http://forum.pianoworld.com/ubbthreads.php/topics/2392966/1.html

And still I see "individually weighted" mentioned for the PHA-4 Standard in many places. Not that I care, but they all get the idea from somewhere. If not from Roland, then where from?

"Roland PHA-4 [Standard] Action: 88 fully individually weighted graded hammer action keys WITH escapement, simulated ebony & ivory keytops & 5 levels of touch sensitivity" - https://www.pianotone.ca/roland-fp30-review/

"The Roland FP-30 uses the PHA-4 [Standard] (the 4 signifying 4th generation) hammer action on its keyboard. These trademark 'ivory feel’ keys are weighted individually and graded." - https://www.soundton.com/roland-fp-30-vs-yamaha-p-125/

"All 88 keys are individually and progressively weighted, heavier at the low end and gradually becoming lighter towards the top." - https://www.musicradar.com/reviews/roland-fp-10-digital-piano-review

"Key Action Weighted Individually PHA4" - https://bestdigitalpiano.net/reviews/roland-fp-30-vs-yamaha-ydp-144/

"The lower notes feel heavier than the lighter keys do, just like on an acoustic piano. This is because the keys are individually weighted in the Roland FP-10." - https://keyboardkraze.com/roland-fp10-review/

As for PHA-50:

"The keys are also individually weighted and graded. The left side keys feel heavy and gets lighter towards the right." - https://buydigitalpiano.com/roland-fp-90-review

Anyhow, even 7 zones should be enough.

K
3000 Post Club Member
3000 Post Club Member
K
those sites might be confused with the older different pha4 actions.

the new one is almost certainly 4 zones. maybe 7, but i doubt it.

you see here the first 21 keys use the same weights.

Last edited by KawaFanboi; 08/02/22 08:07 AM.
C
4000 Post Club Member
4000 Post Club Member
C
Originally Posted by KawaFanboi

No I don't.

If the weights are very similar in weight, they may also look very similar.

And I don't see what's stamped on each hammer which could also shed some light on the mystery.

And according to the former "Jay Roland" (now "JayGVan" and not working with digital pianos anymore) the long key stick PHA4 actions had 7 zones. So, if people were confusing the various PHA-4 actions, they'd say that the "Standard" has 7 zones.

It's quite a mystery this one. 😀

P
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
P
If you go to buy replacement hammers for the rd-2000 you find

The RD-2000 keybed was split into 4 zones and each zone used a different hammer. The group numbers 1 through 4 are stamped on the metal part of the hammer. N-1 through N-4 are for the white hammers and S1 through S4 and the black hammers. Be sure to select the group you need from the drop down box.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/163446332998?hash=item260e291e46:g:KFEAAOSwVMJcHqrR

I agree the descriptions are confusing but I can’t find any spare parts for Roland hammers that is more then 4 zones

FP-90x, PX-330
K
3000 Post Club Member
3000 Post Club Member
K
Originally Posted by clothearednincompo
Originally Posted by KawaFanboi

No I don't.

If the weights are very similar in weight, they may also look very similar.

And I don't see what's stamped on each hammer which could also shed some light on the mystery.

And according to the former "Jay Roland" (now "JayGVan" and not working with digital pianos anymore) the long key stick PHA4 actions had 7 zones. So, if people were confusing the various PHA-4 actions, they'd say that the "Standard" has 7 zones.

It's quite a mystery this one. 😀

but was he referring to the old pha4 or the new pha4 ??

given the design on the new pha4 , I'm pretty sure they're the same weight, because the armature is very short, in order to make much of a difference, they'd need a Larger difference in weight. if the armature was Longer like the old pha4, the weights can look more similar.

Last edited by KawaFanboi; 08/02/22 09:34 AM.
G
9000 Post Club Member
9000 Post Club Member
G
I searched for spare parts too and it's hard to find hammer assemblies to begin with, and I also clocked out at 4 zones...

The inner skeptic in me leans towards:

PHA-4 Standard is their budget action, why would that be linearly graded, and the more premium PHA-50 be 4 zoned?

Maybe JayRoland was referring to 4 while key assemblies and 4 black key assemblies (which isn't 7, but still)?

All of the 3p review claims seem to be quoting from the same review kit language of "individually weighted keys." I'm inclined to believe that simply means each key has its own weights not that each weight is different.

I feel if Roland incorporated a feature in their lowest end budget action only used on Yamaha and Kawai's highest tier DPs and hybrids, they'd say something about it in their official marketing on the FP-10/FP-30 sites...

I don't have a dog in this race and would be happy to see Roland (and others) linearly weight their keys, I'm just extremely skeptical about it, and would be thrilled to be proven wrong.

Bosendorfer D214VC ENPro
Past: Yamaha P-85, P-105, CP50, Kawai MP11, Kawai NV10
OP Offline
From what I've been investigating, only a couple actions are lineal graded. I can at least confirm that the GF2 on my CA97 is a 4 zone graded action, I'd doubt any other actions to be better than that..

What's still surprising me is that Rolands PHA50 is 8 zone graded which is by far the best option among the "zone graded" actions if you like to feel that subtle differences between lower and higher keys.

I'm intrigued about the "new" TP400W present on the VIVO S9 and the NUMA X GT whether is it any better than other actions in this regard.

Obviously grading alone doesn't make any action better than the other, but I'm sticking to the sole and mere point of this subject without considering ny other factors (not the point).

Regards,
David

P85>Kawai CA97>Numa X GT>FP90x>LX706
Pianoteq 8 Pro
http://youtube.com/DavidIzquierdoAzzouz
G
9000 Post Club Member
9000 Post Club Member
G
Originally Posted by overthinker
What's still surprising me is that Rolands PHA50 is 8 zone graded which is by far the best option among the "zone graded" actions if you like to feel that subtle differences between lower and higher keys.

I'm not sure the PHA-50 is 8-zones. The RD-2000 uses the PHA-50 action, and looking at this listing for replace the hammers:

ebay

The RD-2000 keybed was split into 4 zones and each zone used a different hammer. The group numbers 1 through 4 are stamped on the metal part of the hammer. N-1 through N-4 are for the white hammers and S1 through S4 and the black hammers. Be sure to select the group you need from the drop down box.

It seems like there are different part numbers for black and white keys but still only four zones. Arguably, maybe the weighting is different between black and white keys because of the hinge position, but that isn't an effect of "grading", it's just using different parts of maintain the same feel across black and white keys. As I said above, I strongly suspect this difference in part numbers accounts for mistaken reports that Roland actions are 7- or 8-zone weighted...

This is the same as I've seen for other Roland actions including the PHA-3...and Roland never mentioned when PHA-50 was released that they increased the number of zones. You would think they would mention that when they talk about adding features like additional stabilization pins.

Bosendorfer D214VC ENPro
OP Offline
Originally Posted by Gombessa
Grand Feel 1 is 4-zone weighted, asymmetrically (more of the bass keys are weighted the same, IIRC). I have not heard changes to GF2/GF3 in this regard. I can look for a pic if anyone is interested.

Usually, a piano will advertise if it is individually weighted, or "linearly graded", some of which include

Yamaha's highest tier Clavinovas: CLP-685/785
Yamaha AvantGrands
Kawai Novus (and I think the newer S variants have linearly graded damper weights as well as hammer weights)

Isn't the GF3 also linear graded? Hammers may be 4-zone weighted but there might be additional weights within the keys (or underneath them) that make the individual weights feel differentely?

What about the GP series (Casio)?

Pianoteq 8 Pro
G
9000 Post Club Member
9000 Post Club Member
G
Isn't the GF3 also linear graded? Hammers may be 4-zone weighted but there might be additional weights within the keys (or underneath them) that make the individual weights feel differentely?

What about the GP series (Casio)?

Nope, afraid not. GF3 isn't linearly graded neither in hammers nor keys to my knowledge. There are counterweights under the keys (87 in the GF1, 88 in GF2/GF3) but I don't recall those being graded at all (nor are they on acoustic piano keyboards).

I don't know about the Casio. The cosmetic hammers themselves aren't individually shaped as on an acoustic (they look the same size to me), but they might have weights hidden in them or elsewhere in the mechanism?
[Linked Image]

It looks like some of the exposed bass hammers have more ridges on them, but that only speaks to general grading.

Bosendorfer D214VC ENPro
OP Offline
Interesting Gombessa, so is the Yamaha CLP785 the only one linearly graded DP in this category?

Pianoteq 8 Pro
P
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
P
Interesting Gombessa, so is the Yamaha CLP785 the only one linearly graded DP in this category?

And I wonder what that really means in reality. Is there truly 88 different hammers?

Are they graded by hand?

Or is it just 10 zones or such a number.

the grand touch is a very shy key action with no pictures it seems.

FP-90x, PX-330
G
9000 Post Club Member
9000 Post Club Member
G
775, 785, and 795. And previously, the 675, 685 and 695GP
https://usa.yamaha.com/products/musical_instruments/pianos/clavinova/clp-685/specs.html#product-tabs
https://usa.yamaha.com/products/musical_instruments/pianos/clavinova/clp-785/specs.html#product-tabs

The x85 and x95 have additional counterweights built in, which IMO is an extremely odd feature to just add on, from an engineering perspective.

Originally Posted by Purdyd
And I wonder what that really means in reality. Is there truly 88 different hammers?

Are they graded by hand?

Yes to the first, almost certainly no to the second. The hammers themselves may be graded, but I highly doubt there is a Steinway-esque technician that individually crafts weighting for every key. I sure they don't even do that for the AvantGrands.

Or is it just 10 zones or such a number.

If it clearly claims linear grading, I don't see why we shouldn't take that at face value.

the grand touch is a very shy key action with no pictures it seems.

I've noticed over the years that a lot of the disassembly pictures and discussions have moved over to Facebook communities, or Chinese weibo/forums. I think honestly, Pianoworld is a bit of legacy piano community and we're in our sunset years; the trend and new generations are developing elsewhere. Just my $0.02.

Bosendorfer D214VC ENPro
P
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
P
From the looks of this, 88 separate hammers each with a unique part number.

https://www.ued.net/catalog/cat_item_idx_8914.html

I guess I’m surprised because there must be a tenth or eighth of a gram difference between hammers. Some very tight tolerance.

Last edited by Purdyd; 08/31/22 11:06 AM.

FP-90x, PX-330
G
9000 Post Club Member
9000 Post Club Member
G
In reality, I think the only real complexity is managing more part numbers in the inventory system.

The weighting is just a metal bar or slug cut to length. You can see how the Novus does it here:

[Linked Image]

Yamaha's DP hammer is just a metal bar. You can imagine they just line up 88 of them and grind them on a profile (in fact, I recall reading that some people have done just that in order to linearly-grade their own actions):

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

Again, nobody at the factory is weighing and cutting/profiling hammers. They just come fabbed as a set, and I bet due to manufacturing tolerances, a slightly shorter hammer may sometimes weigh the same or even more than a slightly longer one next to it. People can't really tell the difference in a 4-zone weighted DP, they're probably not going to notice variations in 88-zones.

Bosendorfer D214VC ENPro
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by Gombessa

The x85 and x95 have additional counterweights built in, which IMO is an extremely odd feature to just add on, from an engineering perspective.

Are they graded by hand?

Yes to the first, almost certainly no to the second. The hammers themselves may be graded, but I highly doubt there is a Steinway-esque technician that individually crafts weighting for every key. I sure they don't even do that for the AvantGrands.

I've noticed over the years that a lot of the disassembly pictures and discussions have moved over to Facebook communities, or Chinese weibo/forums. I think honestly, Pianoworld is a bit of legacy piano community and we're in our sunset years; the trend and new generations are developing elsewhere. Just my $0.02.

Several quotes relate to several confusions i have with the terminology i / we often see in the context of weighted actions. For instance “….. hammer-weighted action” is either a misnomer, or a poorly worded term, or a 🤷‍♂️ who knows what is meant? term . Hammer-weighted ,at face value, seems to refer to weighted hammer.

If the hammers have their own variances in weight not due to being purposely weighted or graded-weighted by a Steinway-esque tech, should the term more appropriately be linear-graded-key-weighted hammer action ? With the key-sticks being separate pieces in an action that also has hammers, are they both weighted, linearly, sometimes, or not, across different makes & models of actions AP and or DP?

Might as well included some of CEN’s observations re: touch-sensitive versus velocity-sensitive terminology with both apparently really referring to force-sensitive actions….. too many fuzzy terms that may help sell actions while not sufficiently describing the actions being sold🙂.

Last edited by drewr; 08/31/22 11:36 AM.

- Kawai MP7 and LSR308 monitors
- Roland HP-508
- DT770 Pro-80 and MDR-7506 phones
G
9000 Post Club Member
9000 Post Club Member
G
Originally Posted by drewr
If the hammers have their own variances in weight not due to being purposely weighted or graded-weighted by a Steinway-esque tech, should the term more appropriately be linear-graded-key-weighted hammer action ? With the key-sticks being separate pieces in an action that also has hammers, are they both weighted, linearly, sometimes, or not, across different makes & models of actions AP and or DP?

99% of the time, the only variation in weighting is at the hammers, not in the keys, which are usually identical across the range.

Some DPs also have counterweights in the keys, and of those, some actions have varying numbers of counterweights (GF1), and I don't recall specifically but maybe some also have zoned or individually graded key counterweighting. But I think this is fairly rare. In DPs, none of this suggest individual technician prep, it's all just an assembly line.

Bosendorfer D214VC ENPro
P
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
P
Well if there are separate part numbers I agree no one at the assembly is weighing and modifying hammers.

From what I can tell, the hammer is not just a wire. And it is not like the hybrid piano hammer.

https://forum.pianoworld.com//ubbthr...lavinova-clp-700-series.html#Post3053970

[Linked Image]

I wonder what the manufacturing tolerance is?

Last edited by Purdyd; 08/31/22 11:50 AM.

FP-90x, PX-330
G
9000 Post Club Member
9000 Post Club Member
G
Oh, nice find! You're right, it's pretty hard to find data/images of GT.

Bosendorfer D214VC ENPro
Page 3 of 4 1 2 3 4

Link Copied to Clipboard
What's Hot!!
Piano World Has Been Sold!
--------------------
Forums RULES, Terms of Service & HELP
(updated 06/06/2022)
---------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
(ad)
(ad)
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Recommended Songs for Beginners
by FreddyM - 04/16/24 03:20 PM
New DP for a 10 year old
by peelaaa - 04/16/24 02:47 PM
Estonia 1990
by Iberia - 04/16/24 11:01 AM
Very Cheap Piano?
by Tweedpipe - 04/16/24 10:13 AM
Practical Meaning of SMP
by rneedle - 04/16/24 09:57 AM
Forum Statistics
Forums43
Topics223,392
Posts3,349,302
Members111,634
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations |

Advertise on Piano World
| Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map

Copyright © VerticalScope Inc. All Rights Reserved.
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission