2022 our 25th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

Shop our online store for music lovers
SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Pianoteq
Steinway Spiro Layering
(ad)
Piano Life Saver - Dampp Chaser
Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver
(ad)
Wessell Nickel & Gross
PianoForAll
Who's Online Now
66 members (Appalachian, Andrew E., Catlady, accordeur, 17 invisible), 956 guests, and 337 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
(ad)
Estonia Pianos
Estonia Pianos
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
#3236521 07/28/22 06:48 AM
M
OP Offline
M
Hi,

Any users on here? Any Tips ?

Mainly planning to use hooked to my es110 for the piano sounds and use the sounds when I play with my 80s band and playing for musicals.

thanks

https://www.scoreexchange.com/profiles/musicman

https://soundcloud.com/musicmantees

kawai es920 Kawai ES110 ( re bought) Yamaha PSR-S770 (arriving on Monday)Yamaha MODX7
Online Content
How exciting <-: I don't have the MODX7 but I read occasionally about it on this forum. I recently got the Roland Fantom-07 which is related. Looks like our boards share relative light weight/portability, reasonable number of keys, and a nice touch-screen, plus synth sounds/flow. I am a so, so piano player but also enjoy the non-piano sounds of the Fantom-07. Wish you fun with your new board.

C
7000 Post Club Member
7000 Post Club Member
C
FWIW --

If you want fellow owners, try Googling

yamaha modx forum

Some of the hits seem to be inactive, but some are pretty lively.

You might have some luck on keyboardforums.com --

. Charles
---------------------------
PX-350 / microKorg XL+ / Pianoteq
F
F
MODX is discontinued. An upgraded model is due but may take a while. Maybe until next year.

500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by Fleer
MODX is discontinued. An upgraded model is due but may take a while. Maybe until next year.

I guess this is not what the OP wanted to hear...

I own two Montage 6 (one black, one white) and they are very powerful instruments. The player is 90% or more what makes a difference (I am just a beginner, I know by experience grin)

Enjoy your MODX7 thumb

Jose

Yamaha U3H
Kawai VPC1
...plus some other DPs, synths, controllers and VSTs

[Linked Image]
A
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
A

LOL since when next year is "due"?

Kawai MP7SE, Yamaha MOTF XF6, Yamaha WX5, Yamaha Pacifica 112v
M
OP Offline
M

I do know that - I started the rumour that is was discontinued. wink

To be fair that is why I got it for such a good price. At the moment any new model replacement will be double the price I would think.

I have heard that any replacement will not be until the new year at the earliest and I have gigs coming up in the next few months.

The Montage is not been discontinued only the modx-one reason maybe shortage of chips .They share the same chip so yamaha has decided to use the chips in the montage.

but thanks for the replys.

kawai es920 Kawai ES110 ( re bought) Yamaha PSR-S770 (arriving on Monday)Yamaha MODX7
F
F
Enjoy your new keys!

A
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
A
Originally Posted by musicman100

I do know that - I started the rumour that is was discontinued. wink

To be fair that is why I got it for such a good price. At the moment any new model replacement will be double the price I would think.

I have heard that any replacement will not be until the new year at the earliest and I have gigs coming up in the next few months.

The Montage is not been discontinued only the modx-one reason maybe shortage of chips .They share the same chip so yamaha has decided to use the chips in the montage.

but thanks for the replys.

That has been the tradition. The only chip they share is the sound generator chips made by Yamaha and (most likely) the audio interface chip. The "MO" series always have 1/2 polyphony and thus only 1/2 number of sound-generating chips on board.

I highly doubt Yamaha would ever come up with anything new.

Historically, the flagship synth trim first gets an update, then they water down the board and release it as the MO-blah series.

M
OP Offline
M
Enjoy your new keys!

Thanks

Originally Posted by Abdol
[quote=Fleer]MODX is discontinued. An upgraded model is due but may take a while. Maybe until next year.

I

That has been the tradition. The only chip they share is the sound generator chips made by Yamaha and (most likely) the audio interface chip. The "MO" series always have 1/2 polyphony and thus only 1/2 number of sound-generating chips on board.

I highly doubt Yamaha would ever come up with anything new.

Historically, the flagship synth trim first gets an update, then they water down the board and release it as the MO-blah series.

No they share most of the chips just that the montage has two SWP70 chips and the better output.

Look here

http://sandsoftwaresound.net/yamaha-modx-inside-stuff/

http://sandsoftwaresound.net/yamaha-montage-internals-revisted/

A
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
A
No they share most of the chips just that the montage has two SWP70 chips and the better output.

Look here

http://sandsoftwaresound.net/yamaha-modx-inside-stuff/

http://sandsoftwaresound.net/yamaha-montage-internals-revisted/

Yes, they do! and the SWP70 is the sound (tone) generator chip. Read that article you posted more carefully.

We are not talking about the control surface or the screen. What matters is the sound chip and the interface chip (Steinberg/Yamaha chip).

Last edited by Abdol; 08/02/22 04:18 PM.

I heard this talk about Yamaha lowering the quality of chips in some of the later produced Montages (not those in the early years, 2016 etc.)
Not sure if it's true. I had a Montage 8 for a couple of years, haven't noticed any difference in the output/sound quality between Montage and MODX when listening to sound comparisons.

Congratz for the board btw. The preset sounds are still pretty dope though navigating/synthesizing sounds is a big pain for me.
IMO They should have made a module of the Montage engine, for people not caring about the crappy keybed.

My Piano Youtube Channel : https://www.youtube.com/YotamCohenMusic
A
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
A
Originally Posted by Chummy
I heard this talk about Yamaha lowering the quality of chips in some of the later produced Montages (not those in the early years, 2016 etc.)
Not sure if it's true. I had a Montage 8 for a couple of years, haven't noticed any difference in the output/sound quality between Montage and MODX when listening to sound comparisons.

Congratz for the board btw. The preset sounds are still pretty dope though navigating/synthesizing sounds is a big pain for me.
IMO They should have made a module of the Montage engine, for people not caring about the crappy keybed.

that was the case when MOTIF and MOX/F were out. My MOTIF XF sounds exactly the same as a MOX/F unless you use the analog out. Then there'll be a subtle difference. I'd say 10%.

When recording digital there is -0- difference.

Online Content
Hi there,

I can't comment on Montage/MODX, I don't have those. But I learned a lot from this forum, therefore I want to return the favor when I can. Thus, I can share a little info on chip testing, on a very high level. Whether any of this applies depends on the product, technology, market, test program supplier, etc.

So, "lowering the quality" of chips can mean many things. As you may know, microchips are produced from wafers and it takes many process steps until they are complete. When the chips are complete, there is chip on wafer testing or/and chip in package testing. If chips during testing do not work or do not fulfill specs, they can be discarded or potentially re-used for lesser product requiring only part of the functionality. This is very product/market specific. But in general, the more chips/components need to be thrown away, the lower the yield and the higher is the average production cost of that chip/component.

There are many avenues for increasing the yield or to ship chips.

a) Early fails in the field. If a chip/product fails early in the field during warranty, there is a cost to repair the product. This can be potentially reduced by "burn-in", e.g. testing the chip under stress condition (e.g., higher voltage, higher temperature). This depends on technology, if the technology is transistor gate oxide based, then chips with a partially punctured/compromised gate oxide is what this test could weed out. If one decides to reduce this test, more chips will be available with potentially higher early fail rate in the field.

b) Reliability/When will the chip fail in the field/Warranty
Dependent on technology it can be statistically predicted, when a chip approximately will fail in the field. Ideally the time until failure exceeds the warranty time. Let's call the time until failure that exceeds the warranty the "margin". This margin can be reduced by less strongly testing thereby resulting in more chips (that will fail on average sooner).

c) Strange fail mechanisms.
Again very dependent on technology product. Even well design product can exhibit failure modes (race conditions, etc.) that are triggered only under very specific conditions. E.g. temperature, operation of the input knobs, etc. These are very complicated fail modes and there can be several of those. If the frequency of these fail modes is sufficiently high, then it is better to develop a test for these modes so that they do not go out in the field and cause a customer return. However, this is a fine line/tradeoff. There is also something as testing too much, thereby reducing yield/chips and increasing the average production cost.

d) Voltage/temperature margin
You want to use your digital piano outside in warm Texas as well as in cooler Canada. In addition, there may be a fluctuation in voltage supplied by the power supply that comes with the DP. That means, chip testing must also be done for under-voltage and worst case temperature, although not necessarily all together in the same test. This creates a margin to failure. One can obtain more chips by reducing this margin a little, thereby trading customer returns against number chips available.

e) Speed
This relates to the ability of certain chips to operate at a minimum speed plus some safety margin. Chips/components that are not fast enough would need to be channeled into lesser products (if possible) or discarded.

These are just very general testing/yield considerations that may or may not apply to this specific case.

All the best.

Last edited by MandM; 08/04/22 12:47 PM.

Moderated by  Piano World 

Link Copied to Clipboard
(ad)
Piano Buying Guide
The Definitive Piano Buying Guide
(ad)
PianoDisc

PianoDisc
(ad)
Faust Harrison Pianos
Faust Harrison 100+ Steinway pianos
(ad)
Mason & Hamlin Pianos
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Practicing is Fun!
by malkin - 08/19/22 05:52 PM
Trade-in question
by RealPlayer - 08/19/22 03:09 PM
Kawai CA-67 (used) vs CA-49?
by JasonD - 08/19/22 02:47 PM
Download Sheet Music
Virtual Sheet Music - Classical Sheet Music Downloads
What's Hot!!
FREE June Newsletter is Here!
--------------------
Forums RULES, Terms of Service & HELP
(updated 06/06/2022)
-------------------
Music Store Going Out of Business Sale!
---------------------
Mr. PianoWorld's Original Composition
---------------------
Sell Your Piano on our world famous Piano Forums!
---------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
-------------------
ADVERTISE on Piano World
Forum Statistics
Forums43
Topics214,471
Posts3,217,629
Members106,122
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010
Please Support Our Advertisers

Faust Harrison 100+ Steinways

Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver

Best of Piano Buyer

PianoTeq Bechstein
Visit our online store for gifts for music lovers

Virtual Sheet Music - Classical Sheet Music Downloads

Help keep the forums up and running with a donation, any amount is appreciated!
Or by becoming a Subscribing member! Thank-you.
Donate   Subscribe

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations | Pianos For Sale | Sell Your Piano |

Advertise on Piano World
| Subscribe | Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map | Free Newsletter | MapleStreetMusicShop.com - Our store in Cornish Maine

© copyright 1997 - 2022 Piano World ® all rights reserved
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission