2022 our 25th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

Shop our online store for music lovers
SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Pianoteq
Steinway Spiro Layering
(ad)
Piano Life Saver - Dampp Chaser
Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver
(ad)
Wessell Nickel & Gross
PianoForAll
Who's Online Now
68 members (antune, Carey, ambrozy, Appalachian, Andrew E., 17 invisible), 961 guests, and 331 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
(ad)
Estonia Pianos
Estonia Pianos
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
#3237121 07/30/22 11:27 AM
2000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
2000 Post Club Member
I’m picking up a Yamaha N1x about three hours away and I’m hoping not to need a piano moving service.

I see from some unboxing/assembly videos that the piano does ship in two pieces with about 8 bolts holding it together.

If I have several people willing to help, do you think it would safely fit in a Ford Expedition?

1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
I suggest you talk to someone who works at the place where you must drive 3 hours to pick up the N1X; and ask them a few questions.

#1, will they be giving you 2 boxes or 1?; either way, will they measure and give you the dimensions of each box?

Typically, this kind of DP will have the main/top unit in a big box along with the pieces for assembling the lower parts of the cabinetry, plus a second, smaller box containing the bench , or maybe Yamaha now squeezes everything into one bigger box …. either way it will help you to know ahead of time if you will be putting one or two boxes in your car AND the dimensions of each box. Expeditions are large vehicles but it will be a hassle if you arrive there to pick up the pieces and discover you do not have enough space to safely fit all DP pieces plus people pieces for the ride home.

Last edited by drewr; 07/30/22 12:47 PM.

- Kawai MP7 and LSR308 monitors
- Roland HP-508
- DT770 Pro-80 and MDR-7506 phones
2000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
2000 Post Club Member
This is already assembled. I would be taking it apart back into the two pieces it came as (plus the two front legs and bench), and reassembling at home.

I really hope this is possible. The economics of this become unfeasible if I’m hiring a piano mover so I’m hoping patience, time and a careful plan will make this workable.

1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by TwoSnowflakes
This is already assembled. I would be taking it apart back into the two pieces it came as….

For sake of discussion: lets start with pretending it fits into your car. I can only assume you’ve already realized there is a distinct difference between “ it fits” and ‘it safely fits”. A 3 hour car ride implies some stop & go on various roads - city, side streets, highways , on/off ramps and possibly one or more stretches of uneven pavement and intersections with red lights. Anywhere along the way that might unexpectedly require you to brake hard & quick runs the risk of propelling the piano forward by way of that pesky inertia thing. Some people might view this as potentially unsafe. As such, i suggest you consider some type of restraining device other than passengers or strategically placed pillows - like seat-belts-for-large-DPs - to offset the possibility of your DP becoming a projectile headed towards the front seats.

Good luck!

- Roland HP-508
2000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
2000 Post Club Member
For sure. I plan to come with blankets and straps to keep it stationary and cushioned. I’m also thinking the suspension on the Expedition might be kinder than renting a u haul cargo van anyway. If it can feasibly be put into two manageable pieces I think it’ll work. The question is whether or not it actually disassembles as easily as the assembly videos make it seem.

The whole thing is only 257 pounds assembled so I feel like this is do-able?

I will check the dimensions of the cargo space of the expedition.

1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
It probably seems that i am being a stickler on whether or not you can transport an N1X as originally stated/asked. I know it can probably be done. The safety factor is a whole ‘nother question and for this reason, i have gradually become much more a stickler as ive gotten older.

I currently live in the rural, small town community where i was born and raised. To put it simply, yes, even in rural communities, it has generally become unsafe to get in a car and go out on the roads anywhere at any time. 6 days ago Monday i was traveling on the main highway that bypasses the small town near where i live. I came upon the scene of a crash that happened a few minutes prior. I saw a half of a car in the middle of the road, the other half in hundreds of broken pieces scattered on the pavement.

In Spring 2016’ i packed up residence in suburban Piitsburgh and moved back to the community where i was born. On the final trip, i had a fully boxed HP508 nestled into a 1999 Subaru Forester station wagon; it fit, but just barely able to safely close the rear hatch AND the driver’s rear view mirror gave me a good view of the big box and a partial view of the highway behind 😱. I drove the Forester while my landlord ( and good friend, and garage operator) followed in my pick up truck, also loaded to just over the brim. He had recently done some work on the engine and brakes and volunteered to help/drive.

This was also a 3 hour drive. The first hour was the most hectic as far as heavy traffic while weaving & bobbing & getting through AND then out of the metro city area by way of the large 5-7 lane hazard officially known as the Interstate 376/22East. Most city people like to drive on driveways and park on parkways but in greater Pittsburgh they alternate between these two tasks on the road appropriately nicknamed “the parkway”.

So far, quite stressful but otherwise so good. The middle hour/section was lighter highway traffic through mostly rural & hilly areas with only a few intersections with green lights waiting to go yellow ( the new normal for red) stop lights. Just as i was ready to go through an intersection, the light turned yellow. In that split second i wanted to go but decided to stop ….. and then heard the screeching tires of my old Dodge coming to a sideways halt just short of impact 🥵. An hour later we arrived at destination, despite the stress, there was no visible damage to my self, car, truck and goods …. but i do hesitate to call this a safe way to transport a piano.

Last edited by drewr; 07/31/22 01:04 PM.

- Roland HP-508
T
T
It’s possible, but you need to measure everything, get protective equipment, have at least two other people with you, and exercise caution and dillegence. I had to do this for my previous instrument.

When I bought my CLP-785, I was told I’d have to wait a few days to get it delivered. However, I’d already sold my P-515, and had a performance coming up, so I didn’t want to be without a piano at home to practice on.

So, I rented a smaller U-Haul and took someone with me to pick it up. I bought two very thick King size blankets, three large rolls of bubble wrap, and went for it. Covered the floor of the U-Haul with the blankets. The 785 was a floor model, so there were no boxes. It can be separated into two parts: the top part with the keys and speakers, and the bottom larger speaker part with pedals. We wrapped both parts up in bubble wrap, put the third layer of bubble wrap on top of the blanket, and set the two parts of the 785 over the bubble wrap, and headed back home. Put the hazards on and drove about 40 MPH the whole way, traveling in the slow lane, and avoiding any sudden or quick stops (because I forgot the straps, lol). Got home, and the person with me helped bring the parts into my house, where I then set them up.

I say all this to say that, based on my experience with moving the 785, moving the N1X is doable. Although the latter is slightly larger and much heavier, they are similar enough in dimensions and in that they can be separated in two parts that you could use a similar approach to moving the N1X as I did with the 785.

If you’re going to do it, though, do it with diligence and care:
  • You’re going to need at least three, healthy, able-bodied people with you if you plan to move it in one piece. It is 257 pounds/117 kilograms. Mine was professionally delivered, and the three delivery guys still had to exert some effort to get it moving, especially when it comes to stairs and corners. So make sure the people with you can carry heavier objects for long distances, and be sure they know how delicate it is. They can’t just drop it when they get tired, not lift properly, or be haphazard. And extreme care should be exercise throughout due to the real action inside. Even if you separate it into two parts, I would still recommend at least three people to carry the top part.
  • I would wrap both parts in a large blanket, bubble wrap, and securely tie the blanket and bubble wrap around the instrument/parts of the instrument before moving it/them. I would not use the original boxing or packaging, because there’s no guarantee the box/packaging hasn’t degraded to some extent due to moisture or storage over time, depending on where they’ve kept it, and it may not be able to support the weight of the instrument. If you must use a box, buy your own.
  • If you plan on using your Ford Expedition, measure to make sure you have enough space.
  • If you’re going to move the instrument in one part, standing upright, the space needs to be at least 45 inches tall, 60 inches wide, and 45 inches deep.
  • If you’re going to move it in one part, laid flat, the space needs to be at least 40 inches tall, 60 inches wide, and 50 inches long.
  • If you’re going to move it in two parts, the space needs to be at least 65 inches long, 40 inches tall, and 60 inches wide.
  • Do you have that kind of space in your Expedition? If not, rent a U-Haul or comparable small moving truck from a competitor company.

Best of luck to you and much success as you move your instrument!

2000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
2000 Post Club Member
Thanks for all the info and the caution. I measured the interior space of my car (i actually have two slightly smaller suvs, one of which I’d rather take because I’d be borrowing the Expedition from a friend) and I think I might be ok with one of my own vehicles.

The larger of the two SUV’s has about 65” depth from the tailgate forward if you put down the second row seats, and it has 43” of space between the rear wheel wells (narrowest part). The useable height is about 32 inches. If the N1X is transported on its back, then it should fit: the piano is 40” tall, sliding on its back between the rear wheels, 24” deep (front edge of keyboard won’t touch the ceiling), and it’s 58” wide, and thus should fit between the backs of the front row and the rear tailgate. If the keyboard action should really better be transported flat, and/or it’s a lot easier to maneuver in pieces, then ok, I can do that too.

Blankets and straps, and I think it might be ok.

I’ll have adequate help on both ends; 257 pounds is heavy but not ridiculously so and where it’s being extracted from and transported to are both easily accessible first floor locations.

J
Online Content
J
I purchased a NU1X a few months ago. I also debated whether to transport it myself in my minivan or to have it professionally delivered. I decided on the latter and I'm glad I did.

This is a multi-thousand-dollar instrument. Don't go cheap on transporting it. If you don't want to have it professionally delivered, at the very least, rent a U-Haul and use a dolly to move it. U-hauls aren't that expensive.

1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by sudden_stops
Put the hazards on and drove about 40 MPH the whole way, traveling in the slow lane, and avoiding any sudden or quick stops

The need for sudden braking is probably top of the list of circumstances difficult to plan/predict for a 3 hour car ride; especially when it comes to cargo that may be partly packaged yet is along for the ride partly loose. 250 pounds of anything in the rear compartments not strapped in - whether its a drunk uncle or bubble-wrapped & blanketed DP - could end up as a projectile headed towards the cockpit upon quickly coming to a stop. Just ask my 80 pound American Bulldog who loved to ride in the front passenger seat of my pickup truck 🙃

- Roland HP-508
3000 Post Club Member
Online Content
3000 Post Club Member
Carefully check the dimensions of the "mouth" of the door-tailgate, which tends to be much smaller than the interior dimensions.

Also, check the manual or dealer for proper transport orientation, as the piano mechanism might not be transportable sidewards/upside down, etc.

2000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
2000 Post Club Member
Yes I specifically checked for the opening of the tailgate itself. Still awaiting word on whether it can be transported on its back; planning for disassembly if not.

T
T
Originally Posted by TwoSnowflakes
Thanks for all the info and the caution. I measured the interior space of my car (i actually have two slightly smaller suvs, one of which I’d rather take because I’d be borrowing the Expedition from a friend) and I think I might be ok with one of my own vehicles.

The larger of the two SUV’s has about 65” depth from the tailgate forward if you put down the second row seats, and it has 43” of space between the rear wheel wells (narrowest part). The useable height is about 32 inches. If the N1X is transported on its back, then it should fit: the piano is 40” tall, sliding on its back between the rear wheels, 24” deep (front edge of keyboard won’t touch the ceiling), and it’s 58” wide, and thus should fit between the backs of the front row and the rear tailgate. If the keyboard action should really better be transported flat, and/or it’s a lot easier to maneuver in pieces, then ok, I can do that too.

Blankets and straps, and I think it might be ok.

I’ll have adequate help on both ends; 257 pounds is heavy but not ridiculously so and where it’s being extracted from and transported to are both easily accessible first floor locations.

Sounds good. As long as you’ve measured it well, have the transport planned, and have help on both ends. It’s an effort, but as long as you do it cautiously, it should go well.

Originally Posted by drewr
Originally Posted by sudden_stops
Put the hazards on and drove about 40 MPH the whole way, traveling in the slow lane, and avoiding any sudden or quick stops

The need for sudden braking is probably top of the list of circumstances difficult to plan/predict for a 3 hour car ride; especially when it comes to cargo that may be partly packaged yet is along for the ride partly loose. 250 pounds of anything in the rear compartments not strapped in - whether its a drunk uncle or bubble-wrapped & blanketed DP - could end up as a projectile headed towards the cockpit upon quickly coming to a stop. Just ask my 80 pound American Bulldog who loved to ride in the front passenger seat of my pickup truck 🙃

Tell me about it! Luckily, my journey was only an hour/hour-and-a-half back. I also live in a big metropolitan area, so it was pretty much main streets from the piano store to the highway, highway for an hour, then main streets back home. It was also rush hour on the highway, so super slow traffic. It made the trip longer, but in hindsight, being rush hour probably also made it safer because I had no temptations to go above 40 MPH because I couldn’t. With the hazards on and going slowly, I managed to avoid any foolery. grin

Moderated by  Piano World 

Link Copied to Clipboard
(ad)
Piano Buying Guide
The Definitive Piano Buying Guide
(ad)
PianoDisc

PianoDisc
(ad)
Faust Harrison Pianos
Faust Harrison 100+ Steinway pianos
(ad)
Mason & Hamlin Pianos
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Practicing is Fun!
by malkin - 08/19/22 05:52 PM
Trade-in question
by RealPlayer - 08/19/22 03:09 PM
Kawai CA-67 (used) vs CA-49?
by JasonD - 08/19/22 02:47 PM
Download Sheet Music
Virtual Sheet Music - Classical Sheet Music Downloads
What's Hot!!
FREE June Newsletter is Here!
--------------------
Forums RULES, Terms of Service & HELP
(updated 06/06/2022)
-------------------
Music Store Going Out of Business Sale!
---------------------
Mr. PianoWorld's Original Composition
---------------------
Sell Your Piano on our world famous Piano Forums!
---------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
-------------------
ADVERTISE on Piano World
Forum Statistics
Forums43
Topics214,471
Posts3,217,640
Members106,122
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010
Please Support Our Advertisers

Faust Harrison 100+ Steinways

Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver

Best of Piano Buyer

PianoTeq Bechstein
Visit our online store for gifts for music lovers

Virtual Sheet Music - Classical Sheet Music Downloads

Help keep the forums up and running with a donation, any amount is appreciated!
Or by becoming a Subscribing member! Thank-you.
Donate   Subscribe

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations | Pianos For Sale | Sell Your Piano |

Advertise on Piano World
| Subscribe | Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map | Free Newsletter | MapleStreetMusicShop.com - Our store in Cornish Maine

© copyright 1997 - 2022 Piano World ® all rights reserved
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission