2022 our 25th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

Shop our online store for music lovers
SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Pianoteq
Steinway Spiro Layering
(ad)
Piano Life Saver - Dampp Chaser
Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver
(ad)
Wessell Nickel & Gross
PianoForAll
Who's Online Now
40 members (Chris B, brdwyguy, AJB, Animisha, Andrew E., carlspost, 36251, 7 invisible), 600 guests, and 283 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
(ad)
Estonia Pianos
Estonia Pianos
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
#3230779 07/06/22 03:33 PM
peterws Offline OP
9000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
9000 Post Club Member
Anybody here find they need one, for a bad back, either permanent or temporary, and what might your thoughts be on this?
I've just started up with one; could be a combination of poor eyesight causing peering at times, (although my specs are as good as they get) which gives rise to poor posture on such occasions.
Could be too much practice on new material.

Your arms are supported by the shoulders in the playing position, producing adverse compensatory forces in the back anyway, which age may do nothing to alleviate!
Maybe I spend too much time riding bikes, or not enough. This unfortunately, might be a problem for which beer is not the answer . . . .

"I am not a man. I am a free number"

"[Linked Image]"
(ad)
Piano & Music Accessories
piano accessories music gifts tuning and moving equipment
C
7000 Post Club Member
7000 Post Club Member
C
You can get drum thrones with backrests.

When you say your specs are good, I hope you have them corrected for eye-to-score distance, when your posture is good.

. Charles
---------------------------
PX-350 / microKorg XL+ / Pianoteq
P
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
P
I use an ordinary dining chair, but it isn't ideal. Have a look for 'Beethoven Chairs' for the piano - adjustable seat, proper back rest (and a price to match, usually)

regards
Pete
peterws Offline OP
9000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
9000 Post Club Member
I could only see two modern designs. Cheapest was £329. Funny thing is, my back seems a lot better now, for some reason. Must be the weather; it's gonna rain!
Some of us (wife in particiular) have early warning weather detection systems which are pretty accurate . . .

"[Linked Image]"
4000 Post Club Member
4000 Post Club Member
Possibly an adjustable office chair?

The best one I ever had I got in the nineties. A friend of mine, long dead, sold such things. It had 4 casters and such things became illegal so he gave me it. It was wonderful.

Currently working towards "Twinkle twinkle little star"
S
2000 Post Club Member
2000 Post Club Member
S

T
2000 Post Club Member
2000 Post Club Member
T
The books & sheet music I'm reading has reasonably large print. Otherwise I'd scan my page into the computer so I can zoom in as much as I need.

When it comes to chair, my solution is an office chair without the arm rest on both sides. Some are made to be ergonomic and you can go into a specialty store for office furniture to find the best fit for your back.

Bike riding is something I have been doing regularly when spring started in March. It's mostly a necessity to keep travel cost down. On average I'd be riding between 20-30 km/wk. Living in a high-rise building I can even ride my bike in winter between the levels of the underground parking for exercise. Sitting in front of the computer or the piano keyboard for many hours is definitely a problem. I'd force myself to take the bike out and ride for at least an hour a day unless it's raining.

P
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
P
Originally Posted by peterws
I could only see two modern designs. Cheapest was £329. Funny thing is, my back seems a lot better now, for some reason. Must be the weather; it's gonna rain!
Some of us (wife in particiular) have early warning weather detection systems which are pretty accurate . . .
That's probably as cheap as they get - I've never seen one advertised for less. I wonder why they're called Beethoven chairs.
I've always hated piano benches (can't lean back between pieces!), so have always used an ordinary chair - with my old accoustic I sometimes used books on top of it to get the right height but with my current (ancient) DP with its much lower stand it's about right. Once I tried a drummers' throne (nasty, cheap thing tbh) but it was so uncomfortable that it got dumped.
Hope the back improves - maybe it should rain all the time!

regards
Pete
peterws Offline OP
9000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
9000 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by thepianoplayer416
The books & sheet music I'm reading has reasonably large print. Otherwise I'd scan my page into the computer so I can zoom in as much as I need.

When it comes to chair, my solution is an office chair without the arm rest on both sides. Some are made to be ergonomic and you can go into a specialty store for office furniture to find the best fit for your back.

Bike riding is something I have been doing regularly when spring started in March. It's mostly a necessity to keep travel cost down. On average I'd be riding between 20-30 km/wk. Living in a high-rise building I can even ride my bike in winter between the levels of the underground parking for exercise. Sitting in front of the computer or the piano keyboard for many hours is definitely a problem. I'd force myself to take the bike out and ride for at least an hour a day unless it's raining.

I'm now of the age where I crash bikes regularly. Near misses on the road are an everyday occurance, and motorbikes/horses/high powered scooters are using cycle tracks where I live.
Driving since the pandemic (since?) has deteriorated, but it's not all doom and gloom.
It's the gym bikes now for me! Les Mills courses in the Immersive Studio, ha ha!

I'll look into some office chairs.

"[Linked Image]"
Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member
Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member
Sam Smith has a nice piano "chair", with a back. I've sat in it while playing his Yamaha C3, and it is very comfortable. However, I don't think I leaned back in it much.

Maybe Sam will chime in and elaborate on his piano chair a bit...

Hope your back gets better, Peter!

Rick

Piano enthusiast and amateur musician: "Treat others the way you would like to be treated". Yamaha C7. YouTube Channel
W
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
W
Jansen in the US sells one that they import, but apparently it’s the same one that Yamaha uses for their pianos. Since you’re in Europe, you might try asking a local Yamaha dealer to see if they can special order one for you?

https://jansenpianobenches.com/products/adjustable-piano-chair-wood-back

I know here in Canada, a music store on the west coast sells it and other options as well.

https://www.tomleemusic.ca/search/?q=Piano+chair

FYI my teacher has this same chair for her students and it’s wonderful!

Last edited by WeakLeftHand; 07/07/22 11:06 AM.

Kawai K-500
Casio PX-735 (in retirement)
5000 Post Club Member
Online Content
5000 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by Rickster
Sam Smith has a nice piano "chair", with a back. I've sat in it while playing his Yamaha C3, and it is very comfortable. However, I don't think I leaned back in it much.

Maybe Sam will chime in and elaborate on his piano chair a bit...

Hope your back gets better, Peter!

Rick
I use one of these:

piano chair at amazon

Basically if is a sturdy chair with an adjustable seat and no arms. I never lean back in it, so I suppose the back is useless for me. But I like it - it is rock solid. If you were ok with the height, just a sturdy dining table chair or kitchen table chair with no arms would work as well.

I'm still riding bikes too - just rode my age in miles (68+) the other day. I try to do that every year. I ride on the paved roads and gravel roads - but I am in a rural area and can find roads without much traffic.

Sam

Back to School at 62: How I earned a BM degree in Piano Performance/Piano Pedagogy in my retirement!
ABF Online Recitals
ABF Recital Index

Link Copied to Clipboard
(ad)
Best of Piano Buyer
Piano Buyer - Read the Articles, Explore the website
(ad)
PianoDisc

PianoDisc
(ad)
Faust Harrison Pianos
Faust Harrison 100+ Steinway pianos
(ad)
Mason & Hamlin Pianos
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Piano Bench Question / Suggestions
by Haern - 08/16/22 04:47 AM
Nature Boy in different keys
by Jt2nd - 08/15/22 07:17 PM
Boston Vertical string breakage
by P W Grey - 08/15/22 04:33 PM
cantabile
by SouthPark - 08/15/22 04:29 PM
Finish on 1963 Kawai 7'4" grand.
by Donald1 - 08/15/22 04:23 PM
Download Sheet Music
Virtual Sheet Music - Classical Sheet Music Downloads
What's Hot!!
FREE June Newsletter is Here!
--------------------
Forums RULES, Terms of Service & HELP
(updated 06/06/2022)
-------------------
Music Store Going Out of Business Sale!
---------------------
Mr. PianoWorld's Original Composition
---------------------
Sell Your Piano on our world famous Piano Forums!
---------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
-------------------
ADVERTISE on Piano World
Forum Statistics
Forums43
Topics214,417
Posts3,216,670
Members106,089
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010
Please Support Our Advertisers

Faust Harrison 100+ Steinways

Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver

Best of Piano Buyer

PianoTeq Bechstein
Visit our online store for gifts for music lovers

Virtual Sheet Music - Classical Sheet Music Downloads

Help keep the forums up and running with a donation, any amount is appreciated!
Or by becoming a Subscribing member! Thank-you.
Donate   Subscribe

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations | Pianos For Sale | Sell Your Piano |

Advertise on Piano World
| Subscribe | Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map | Free Newsletter | MapleStreetMusicShop.com - Our store in Cornish Maine

© copyright 1997 - 2022 Piano World ® all rights reserved
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission