2022 our 25th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

Shop our online store for music lovers
SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Pianoteq
Steinway Spiro Layering
(ad)
Piano Life Saver - Dampp Chaser
Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver
(ad)
Wessell Nickel & Gross
PianoForAll
Who's Online Now
45 members (Flygbladet, CentauriB, FrankCox, fred768, Alex Hutor, accordeur, Dore, AprilE, 6 invisible), 918 guests, and 292 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
(ad)
Estonia Pianos
Estonia Pianos
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
M
OP Offline
M
I am 74 and decided to learn piano. Can anyone recommend any good online courses for beginners?

Thanks

(ad)
Piano & Music Accessories
piano accessories music gifts tuning and moving equipment
S
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
S
What kind of music are you interested in learning? Do you have a background with other instruments?

2000 Post Club Member
2000 Post Club Member
Hi mwsheeler, welcome to Piano World, and congratulations with your decision to learn to play the piano!

The best online course for beginners you can take is the one at Piano Career Academy. The lessons are of a very high quality, and you can make a recording of your playing and submit it every week, and you will get feedback, so you know that you are on the right track. There is a lot of emphasis on technique - that is, you will learn not just to play the right notes at the right time, but also how to play beautifully and expressively! The course builds up very gradually, you learn one step at the time.

I was a student there for almost four years, and I will be forever grateful for the way that they taught me to play the piano.

Playing the piano is learning to create, playfully and deeply seriously, our own music in the world.
... feeling like the pianist on the Titanic ...
S
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
S
If you’re very much focused on classical piano, a lot of people, like Animisha, have wonderful things to say about Piano Career Academy. If you want a more general introduction to piano (that also builds in some pop and jazz concepts), I would recommend the Beginner Piano class with Zachary Deak (https://artistworks.com/beginner-piano-lessons). He is a classical pianist but does build the curriculum more broadly. I beta tested the course, and it seemed very well constructed. The video exchanges in both these options are really important, as feedback is invaluable, especially at the early stages of learning. I know Artistworks has periodic promotions where you can get the 1 year/unlimited video exchanges for a substantial discount.

Good luck. My biggest advice is to find something that does provide individualized feedback from a teacher.

3rd vote for piano career academy - also piano.tv with allysia - both are excellent.

There's always time to learn something new.
S
S
Since you don't have a whole lot of time left, I'd recommend the Piano Dojo course. it's one of the few that doesn't go overboard on technique, but makes technique happen. good luck.

K
K
Since you may have perhaps 30 or more years of playing ahead of you, it might be worth taking as much time as you like and enjoying every minute.

I’m just about to start to use LiberyParkMusic which is online and starts free for 30 days then $15 per month with no ongoing contract. Flowkey (online app) is also free at entry level.

A teacher with experience in teaching adult beginners also seems to me to be a good plan!

I’ve been playing piano for 1 month (nearly) and as I’m a youthful 60ish I may have 50 years playing to look forward to!

2000 Post Club Member
2000 Post Club Member
Hi KeithElliott! Can you submit recordings of your playing, and do you get feedback? Because I think that especially when you are a beginner, getting feedback on your playing is crucial, so you don't get bad habits that get ingrained.

Playing the piano is learning to create, playfully and deeply seriously, our own music in the world.
2000 Post Club Member
2000 Post Club Member
Mwsheeler, are you still around? Have you decided on a course yet? How is it going? smile

K
K
Hi Animisha,

With LibertyParkMusic I believe you can submit recordings for comments. I haven’t used this facility yet.

They seem to offer a free trial for 30days then menu pricing from $15 per month up to $99 per month. I understand that at the $99/mth level you get 2 video call reviews per month with teachers. Their website is worth a look.

I should add that I have no personal connection with LibertyParkMusic apart from liking them and having received good advice from them.

2000 Post Club Member
2000 Post Club Member
Thank you KeithElliot!

T
2000 Post Club Member
Online Content
2000 Post Club Member
T

N
NXR Offline
N
I use Pianote. Their short, focused videos match my (short and getting shorter) attention span and I get something out of every video. Their app does not tie into a MIDI interface, which is kind of odd for an app, but I find I do not miss it with them. I also use Skoove, which does tie to MIDI. I'm rapidly approaching 70 and unlike some of you folks who apparently are planning to live well past 100, I'd be extremely happy to get another 20 years on this planet in reasonably good health. smile

I have no illusions about how good I may get but I'm doing this because I want to, not because I have to. It's really fun when I get stuck on a note visually and somehow my fingers remember where to go by themselves. That always brings a smile to my face. It's been a long time since I actually learned something completely new, not related to anything I ever did before, and it's great to know I still can.

Ray

Kawai CA99, Satin Black
Yamaha P-121
Kawai X-150D
A bit late to the convo here, mwsheeler, but if you decide to try Pianote, I recommend you dip your toe before jumping in with both feet and buying an annual or lifetime sub. Pianote is interesting and, at a beginner level, useful but the community can be a bit much. Some of the instructors are pretty level-headed and some of them teach with this Romper Room on amphetamine approach. With some of the instructors, everything is "awesome" and "magical" and "amazing" and "unbelievable" and the over-the-top amped up giddiness goes beyond puerile and can get in the way of the actual piano instruction. On the forum boards, every single post gets responded to by one or more mods with how awesome and insightful the original post was. After a while it starts to feel like this is how L. Ron or Rajneesh might've conducted mass piano instruction.

Pianote's not without its merits, but you may want to have a syringe of insulin on hand when you give it a go.

Last edited by TheyLaughedWhen; 07/22/22 12:24 PM.
J
Online Content
J
also seconding PCA. this will set your foundation great with really loose relaxed hands

Yamaha YUS5 TA2 // NI Noire // started Oct 2020 // working on RCM Level 3 (31%)
W
W
I will recommend Key Notes. It is a bit expensive but the content is of very high quality.
It easy competes with the best of PCA in terms of useful tips and explanations.
https://www.key-notes.com/key-notes-membership

J
Online Content
J
does Key Notes have some type of video exchange with the teacher? having the teacher review your actual playing and provide comments/feedback is pretty critical imo

Yamaha YUS5 TA2 // NI Noire // started Oct 2020 // working on RCM Level 3 (31%)
W
W
Originally Posted by JosephW
does Key Notes have some type of video exchange with the teacher? having the teacher review your actual playing and provide comments/feedback is pretty critical imo

I dont think so. Never saw that option when I was a member.

Link Copied to Clipboard
(ad)
Best of Piano Buyer
Piano Buyer - Read the Articles, Explore the website
(ad)
PianoDisc

PianoDisc
(ad)
Faust Harrison Pianos
Faust Harrison 100+ Steinway pianos
(ad)
Mason & Hamlin Pianos
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Nature Boy in different keys
by Jt2nd - 08/15/22 07:17 PM
Boston Vertical string breakage
by P W Grey - 08/15/22 04:33 PM
cantabile
by SouthPark - 08/15/22 04:29 PM
Finish on 1963 Kawai 7'4" grand.
by Donald1 - 08/15/22 04:23 PM
Teaching while pursuing non-music degree?
by txpianoplayer - 08/15/22 03:21 PM
Download Sheet Music
Virtual Sheet Music - Classical Sheet Music Downloads
What's Hot!!
FREE June Newsletter is Here!
--------------------
Forums RULES, Terms of Service & HELP
(updated 06/06/2022)
-------------------
Music Store Going Out of Business Sale!
---------------------
Mr. PianoWorld's Original Composition
---------------------
Sell Your Piano on our world famous Piano Forums!
---------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
-------------------
ADVERTISE on Piano World
Forum Statistics
Forums43
Topics214,416
Posts3,216,648
Members106,089
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010
Please Support Our Advertisers

Faust Harrison 100+ Steinways

Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver

Best of Piano Buyer

PianoTeq Bechstein
Visit our online store for gifts for music lovers

Virtual Sheet Music - Classical Sheet Music Downloads

Help keep the forums up and running with a donation, any amount is appreciated!
Or by becoming a Subscribing member! Thank-you.
Donate   Subscribe

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations | Pianos For Sale | Sell Your Piano |

Advertise on Piano World
| Subscribe | Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map | Free Newsletter | MapleStreetMusicShop.com - Our store in Cornish Maine

© copyright 1997 - 2022 Piano World ® all rights reserved
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission