2022 our 25th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Who's Online Now
68 members (accordeur, akse0435, danno858, AlkansBookcase, David B, Barry_Braksick, BadSanta, danbot3, 12 invisible), 1,841 guests, and 302 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
M
Mta88 Offline OP
1000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
1000 Post Club Member
M
Hi Guys,

So I've recently discovered the convenience and awesome USB over audio feature with my Korg B2

I've got a D1 but lately due to medical reasons I find myself using the B2 because of it's lighter action and the convenience of just a quick plug and play using my Mac or iPad has basically taken over how I play.

One issue I'm experiencing is, when using the audio over USB feature, the sound is a bit soft on the B2.

This seems to be a limitation with the built in USB/audio interface in the B2 I'm guessing.

But I'm pretty sure the speakers can handle more

is there anyway to amplify the output from my Mac when using contact without causing much distortion?

I'm already setting the thing to +12 Decibels using he slider thingy atop at the right corner

I'm using the M1 MacBook Pro in case anyone was wondering.

for near silent practice though this is amazing. Considering I've got 3 kids, one being a toddler the silent practice is welcome but occasionally I get 3-5 mins home alone , I'd wanna play a little louder smile

any help will be greatly appreciated guys .

Cheers.

On another note I've always had issues with kontakt being too quiet in most of my computers. I'm not sure why. I tend to unconsciously compensate for the low volume output in how I play which isn't great because the tone of the piano changes to a significant degree.

Btw the B2 responds beautifully with Pianoteq and Vintage D. I'm pleasantly surprised by this combination. Whatever Built in velocity curves this digital has seems to be pretty awesome when coupled with software both on iOS and Mac OS. I'm guessing the experience will be very similar with windows version of kontakt I don't see why not.

ok let me stop typing and allow you folks to reply.

Thanks again
Cheers

Last edited by Mta88; 06/26/22 11:33 AM.

Korg D1:AKG K240 MKII:KRK Rokit 6 gen 3 Pair Studio Monitors::Pianoteq Bechstein, Petrof, Grotrian, Steinway B, Steinway D,:Garritan CFX:Ravenscroft:Modern U:Galaxy Vintage D, Galaxy Bluthner Baby Grand,
Acoustics:
KAYSERBURG UH 132 Royal Vertical:
1934 Danemann Upright:
K
K
Originally Posted by Mta88
Hi Guys,

So I've recently discovered the convenience and awesome USB over audio feature with my Korg B2

I've got a D1 but lately due to medical reasons I find myself using the B2 because of it's lighter action and the convenience of just a quick plug and play using my Mac or iPad has basically taken over how I play.

One issue I'm experiencing is, when using the audio over USB feature, the sound is a bit soft on the B2.

This seems to be a limitation with the built in USB/audio interface in the B2 I'm guessing.

is there anyway to amplify the output from my Mac when using contact without causing much distortion?

I'm already setting the thing to +12 Decibels using he slider thingy atop at the right corner

for near silent practice though this is amazing. Considering I've got 3 kids, one being a toddler the silent practice is welcome but occasionally I get 3-5 mins home alone , I'd wanna play a little louder smile

Cheers.

On another note I've always had issues with kontakt being too quiet in most of my computers. I'm not sure why. I tend to unconsciously compensate for the low volume output in how I play which isn't great because the tone of the piano changes to a significant degree.

Btw the B2 responds beautifully with Pianoteq and Vintage D. I'm pleasantly surprised by this combination. Whatever Built in velocity curves this digital has seems to be pretty awesome when coupled with software both on iOS and Mac OS. I'm guessing the experience will be very similar with windows version of kontakt I don't see why not.

Thanks again
Cheers

I have a Korg LP-380U and I have similar experience.
I think a lot has to do with the location of the speakers being under the key keybed. A lot of the high frequencies don't reach your ears.
I have a set of monitor speakers, but the sound of the monitors sounds too harsh.
So the best compromise for me is to have one instance playing through monitor speakers and another through my KORG speakers.
That works well for vsts that have different mic positions.

M
Mta88 Offline OP
1000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
1000 Post Club Member
M
ok so I feel like a complete idiot.

After all these years I am now spotting the master editor for volume that's been staring me in the face ...

Wow I feel rather stupid.

I've completely ignored that and just used the slider on the instrument ...

I wonder though.

Will adjusting anyone of these cause significant distortion ?

Which would be preferable. adjusting the volume slider at the top right corner or adjusting the master editor volume at the top left corner.

Or just slightly adjusting both a little so there aren't any issues.

Forgive me if I'm asking stupid questions

Thanks in advance for any responses
Cheers

Korg D1:AKG K240 MKII:KRK Rokit 6 gen 3 Pair Studio Monitors::Pianoteq Bechstein, Petrof, Grotrian, Steinway B, Steinway D,:Garritan CFX:Ravenscroft:Modern U:Galaxy Vintage D, Galaxy Bluthner Baby Grand,
Acoustics:
1934 Danemann Upright:
M
Mta88 Offline OP
1000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
1000 Post Club Member
M
Originally Posted by karoloydi
Hi Guys,

Cheers.

Thanks again
Cheers

I have a Korg LP-380U and I have similar experience.
I think a lot has to do with the location of the speakers being under the key keybed. A lot of the high frequencies don't reach your ears.
I have a set of monitor speakers, but the sound of the monitors sounds too harsh.
So the best compromise for me is to have one instance playing through monitor speakers and another through my KORG speakers.
That works well for vsts that have different mic positions.

I've got monitors as well but also find that they don't sound that great when playing VSTs.

Due to space constraints they aren't available for use at the moment. The KRKs I have are packed away for the time being. They will come out to play soon once some space is cleared up.

There is something about having built in speakers play the sound of Vsts that is so Natural. despite the limitations of the speakers..
Maybe is how the sound reaches our ears
Maybe its the vibrations on the keys themselves.

It just makes it feel like you're sitting at a nice piano really. Hard to explain.

The LP380U you say...

That's amazing

Who knows if I ever do get a sale for my two slabs I may just get one of those.

Hard to sell anything musical in Trinidad we don't really have the customer base or clientele for it .

Acoustics:
1934 Danemann Upright:
M
Mta88 Offline OP
1000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
1000 Post Club Member
M
Did you try to adjust the Master volume? As soon as I get a chance I'll try that later today.

Currently time constraints only allow me short bursts of running away for a few songs to play lol..

I'm beginning to wonder if the analytical nature of my studio monitor headphones are killing the experience of live piano playing, and whether I'll be better off with some sort of "hifi" headphones.

anyways for now this is enough and will suffice.

Dangerous to put headphones on with 3 kids they are always finding new colourful ways to almost kill themselves. (all boys)

Acoustics:
1934 Danemann Upright:
S
5000 Post Club Member
5000 Post Club Member
S
It just makes it feel like you're sitting at a nice piano really. Hard to explain.

That's the exact idea. Many people will indeed feel that - and that is nice to know.

E
EPW Offline
2000 Post Club Member
2000 Post Club Member
E
Dangerous to put headphones on with 3 kids they are always finding new colourful ways to almost kill themselves. (all boys)

My condolences to you wink

I say this as being one of three brothers. We kept our mother busy!

All these years playing and I still consider myself a novice.
M
Mta88 Offline OP
1000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
1000 Post Club Member
M
Originally Posted by EPW

My condolences to you wink

I say this as being one of three brothers. We kept our mother busy!

Dude… imagine that with Covid home schooling particularly in the first year where the teachers and everyone was adjusting .

Lolll.

And a 1 month old soon after . Yea. Piano took a backseat .

Acoustics:
1934 Danemann Upright:
M
Mta88 Offline OP
1000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
1000 Post Club Member
M
Sooooo. I’m getting distortion with vintage D at moderate volumes.

Both using my studio monitor headphones and the built in speakers of the korg b2

Any idea how to fix this ?

Tried playing with the Master Volume and the slider for vintage D. Both produce the same result .

What am I doing wrong
I doubt my studio monitors are the limitation . Are they?

The korg b2 speakers are 15watt each

Not getting this with pianoteq

Haven’t hooked up the studio monitor speakers to test them out yet .

Was considering maybe using the headphone amp with the headphones ? Maybe it’s the software amplification is the limitation. I have a k240 mkii akg headphones .

MacBook Pro m1
frown

Acoustics:
1934 Danemann Upright:
M
Mta88 Offline OP
1000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
1000 Post Club Member
M
Ok so I’m case anyone ever runs into this issue Im just putting it out there the solution

Was rather simple actually

The computer volume adjustment from the touch at wasn’t recognizing that a usb audio device needed adjusting

This may or may not be a bug

Had to go into the apple icon thingy, then sound output and then adjust the second slider that doesn’t show up by default . Was set to one quarter I have all the amplification I need now and I’m in piano bliss with the modern U and my korg b2

Also I ticked the box saying to show the icon always on desktop whether in use or not

No more need to amplify via the software

Feels like I’m just sitting at a nice piano smile

Thanks for the help/replies.

Cheers

Loving my mac once more .

Acoustics:
1934 Danemann Upright:
S
5000 Post Club Member
5000 Post Club Member
S

That's because you are sitting at a nice piano.

M
Mta88 Offline OP
1000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
1000 Post Club Member
M
Originally Posted by SouthPark

That's because you are sitting at a nice piano.

Touché

Not sure if used that right but oh well lol

Acoustics:
1934 Danemann Upright:
S
5000 Post Club Member
5000 Post Club Member
S
Touché
Not sure if used that right but oh well lol

+10000

M
Mta88 Offline OP
1000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
1000 Post Club Member
M
I’m not sure which I like more. Modern U thru b2 speakers or vintage D.

I’m surprised at how nice it sounds

Maybe it’s because the speakers are facing up compared to the other digital pianos I’ve used. Gives u that sort of effect.

The vibration of the keys due to the speakers being so close to them really does help

Acoustics:
1934 Danemann Upright:

Link Copied to Clipboard
What's Hot!!
Piano World Has Been Sold!
--------------------
Forums RULES, Terms of Service & HELP
(updated 06/06/2022)
---------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
(ad)
(ad)
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Estonia 1990
by Iberia - 04/16/24 11:01 AM
Very Cheap Piano?
by Tweedpipe - 04/16/24 10:13 AM
Practical Meaning of SMP
by rneedle - 04/16/24 09:57 AM
Country style lessons
by Stephen_James - 04/16/24 06:04 AM
How Much to Sell For?
by TexasMom1 - 04/15/24 10:23 PM
Forum Statistics
Forums43
Topics223,390
Posts3,349,260
Members111,633
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations |

Advertise on Piano World
| Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map

Copyright © VerticalScope Inc. All Rights Reserved.
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission