2022 our 25th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Who's Online Now
65 members (anotherscott, Bellyman, brennbaer, busa, Barly, 1957, btcomm, 13 invisible), 1,975 guests, and 331 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
#3229593 07/01/22 05:14 PM
B
OP Offline
B
Hi :-)

Just ordered my Kawai GL30 (1,66cm) and can´t wait until it gets delivered.
I have searched online for a cover for the piano. One of these quilted covers that looks quite nice in the living room.
I have found a lot of offerings in the states. None im my country. Does not bother me much. Will just take some time to get here.

Does anybody have any tips for me or by any chance owns something comparable? Would like to get some advice before buying. Maybe some links or pictures :-)

Thanks.

S
PW Gold Subscriber
Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member
PW Gold Subscriber
S
Hi
I think the discussion on this linked thread will be helpful:

https://forum.pianoworld.com//ubbthr...vers-vs-polyester-blend.html#Post2562653

Dawson’s piano covers
Wool is preferred

Gold Subscriber
Gold Subscriber
Is there a particular reason that you want - or need - to buy a cover for your piano? Many of us love the look of our instrument when it's not being played and would not like to see it covered.

Any covers I have seen have a rather institutional look to them and would no be suitable for most home decor.

Of course your taste and needs may be quite different; just curious.

https://www.pianosupplies.com/pianos/grand_covers.html on this website does sell piano covers, but I don't know about shipping. You could enquire.

Regards,

BruceD
- - - - -
Estonia 190
G
9000 Post Club Member
9000 Post Club Member
G
I've heard of people using them for sound damping. And when the piano isn't used a lot for long periods (like at a second/summer home). But I'm lifting my lid every day or so, there's no point I would want a cover unless we were vacating the house for a year for some reason.

Bosendorfer D214VC ENPro
Past: Yamaha P-85, P-105, CP50, Kawai MP11, Kawai NV10
D
D
I use a dust cover over the inside works to keep dust out of the strings. It works well, doesn't really affect the sound and just has to be shaken out once in a while. This way I can keep the lid up and get playing without having to remove a big cover. Just an option you might want to consider if protecting your piano is your concern.

Bosendorfer 200
Yamaha P515 - camping piano!
Previous - Kawai RX3, Yamaha c3 (1985), Yamaha CLP 785, Roland FP30
Recording Gear - Focusrite Clarette, Rode NT1-A's

Gold Subscriber
Gold Subscriber
Originally Posted by drewhpianoman
I use a dust cover over the inside works to keep dust out of the strings. [...]

They are also known as "string covers." As well as keeping dust from collecting inside the piano, on the strings, on the soundboard and on actions parts, those that are made of pure wool felt also keep ambiant moisture (eventually causing rust) from settling on the strings.

In my case, I have not noticed any reduction in tonal quality caused by the string cover; others have argued that strong covers do affect the tone of a piano.

Be aware that some websites that advertise piano string covers, actually are just selling the wool felt by quarter-yard. Edwards, on the other hand, offers custom-made piano string covers.

Edwards Piano String Covers

I would be very surprised if something similar were not available in the OP's home country. Although, going back to the original post, this may not be what would interest the OP.

Regards,

BruceD
- - - - -
Estonia 190
4000 Post Club Member
4000 Post Club Member
It really depends what sort of cover you want. I have 4 pianos here each with a very different cover.

The ballroom isn't used much as a room so the piano in there has a super tough cover. This was made by a guy in Sofia who does such things. I had a huge paper sheet and I literally cut out the shape, sent it to him, selected which grade of cover I needed and he did the rest. It looks good and fits the piano like a glove. That one you wouldn't want in your living area. It looks too institutional. It's waterproof and has a fleece lining. That's a 2.8 metre Bluthner concert grand.

The music room piano has a cover which was made by the mother of a friend. It's just black cloth. She worked for years in a sewing factory. She came, took various measurements and came back with it a week later. I am no clothologist but think it is some cotton blend. There is a flap at the keyboard end which can be folded back when playing. It has some white tassels around the bottom which were a later addition and certainly made a difference. That's a 2 metre C Bechstein. Again that its perfectly.

In the snooker room I have a not quite baby grand. When I was in China some 7 years ago I simply got someone to order me one online. It's sort of fake velvet. It doesn't quite fit correctly but it is absolutely adequate for purpose. I could get the woman who made the one for the Bechstein to take it in very slightly but I don't see the point. It's a piano cover and it covers my piano.

For sake of completeness the cover for the C Bechstein upright in my office is also fake velvet. That too was from China.

Currently working towards "Twinkle twinkle little star"
M
2000 Post Club Member
2000 Post Club Member
M
Originally Posted by Belger1900
Does anybody have any tips for me or by any chance owns something comparable? Would like to get some advice before buying. Maybe some links or pictures :-)
Here's the "cover" I made for mine. I went to the fabric store and asked them for the material they use for speaker covers. I trimmed it around the edges with a scissors so it kind of fits. I really wanted it to keep the piano from getting scratched because I put all kinds of stuff on it. I also gently fold it up every few weeks and take it outside to shake it out. We have dogs and farm animals so things get pretty dusty.

Yamaha P90, Kawai GL-10
S
spk Online Happy
Online Happy
S
I purchased a cover with side slits from vandaking.com for my Grotrian 200 with a decorative rosewood case. I keep it covered all the time, keeping the front pulled back to play. I wanted to protect the finish plus dampen the sound, way too much sound for a house.

Fits perfectly, covers are customizable, excellent buying experience.

8000 Post Club Member
8000 Post Club Member
I used to have a cover for the top when I had an upright because I set stuff up there all the time, but I don't have a cover for my grand. I never set anything on the lid, and I keep it completely closed when not playing. But I play most every day, so when I play, I open the lid and put it on the prop stick, and when I'm done, I close it all up again (fallboard and everything).

Some people don't like having to do this, but it's become such a habit for me that it doesn't feel like it takes any time.

Started piano June 1999.
Proud owner of a Yamaha C2

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
G
9000 Post Club Member
9000 Post Club Member
G
Originally Posted by ShiroKuro
I never set anything on the lid, and I keep it completely closed when not playing. But I play most every day, so when I play, I open the lid and put it on the prop stick, and when I'm done, I close it all up again (fallboard and everything).

ShiroKuro, I do the same every day, and I always wonder if 1) there is any harm keeping the lid open versus 2) if there is any harm opening and closing it every day. I have no idea, but I suspect closing it keeps a little bit of dust away (my house is very dusty for some reason).

Bosendorfer D214VC ENPro
Past: Yamaha P-85, P-105, CP50, Kawai MP11, Kawai NV10
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
I have a Clairevoire piano cover, it is velvet but a bit pricey, I have the water proof version (cats & uhhh...) that is... $300. (Amazon)

Mine is perfect because I love velvet and it’s pretty cat proof, I would get something thicker if you are looking for more impact proof.

Once I looked for covers and (from the same supplier) Vandaking was the cheapest.

Last edited by probably blue; 07/02/22 11:08 AM.
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by BruceD
Originally Posted by drewhpianoman
I use a dust cover over the inside works to keep dust out of the strings. [...]

They are also known as "string covers." As well as keeping dust from collecting inside the piano, on the strings, on the soundboard and on actions parts, those that are made of pure wool felt also keep ambiant moisture (eventually causing rust) from settling on the strings.

In my case, I have not noticed any reduction in tonal quality caused by the string cover; others have argued that strong covers do affect the tone of a piano.

Be aware that some websites that advertise piano string covers, actually are just selling the wool felt by quarter-yard. Edwards, on the other hand, offers custom-made piano string covers.

Edwards Piano String Covers

I would be very surprised if something similar were not available in the OP's home country. Although, going back to the original post, this may not be what would interest the OP.

Regards,

As Bruce noted, wool string covers keep dust away AND regulate ambient moisture to prevent string corrosion. Only wool felt provides the latter benefit, as wool fibers are amazing in their ability to absorb moisture and then release it slowly. The Edwards covers come with built-in "battens," which are lightweight wood sticks sewn into the string cover. They sit on top of the harp struts just above the strings so that the string cover itself does not touch the strings and mute the sound (you can play the piano with the string cover in place).

My experience is that leaving the string cover in place does affect the sound a little, cutting out some of the brightest tones. As I like the brightness, I typically fully raise the lid and remove the string cover before playing. It takes about 30 seconds to roll up the cover and remove it. It takes maybe a minute to put it back in place...so no big deal.

String covers, along with a Dampp Chaser system (or some other solution to keeping humidity constant near the soundboard) can really extend the life of a piano. Yes, they aren't cheap, but given how much pianos cost, the expense of a string cover is not a huge add-on. Edwards's craftsmanship is quite high, and they have patterns for almost all grand pianos.

August Förster 215
B
OP Offline
B
First of all thanks for the feedback smile
I want to have the dust cover because:
- I have different people in my home. I want to be sure nobody scratches the piano.
- I would like to dampen the sound a bit.
- I don't want the piano full of dust (I don't play everyday)

The link to vandaking is good. I will send them an email.

500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
Good idea thumb

B
OP Offline
B
Originally Posted by probably blue
I have a Clairevoire piano cover, it is velvet but a bit pricey, I have the water proof version (cats & uhhh...) that is... $300. (Amazon)

Mine is perfect because I love velvet and it’s pretty cat proof, I would get something thicker if you are looking for more impact proof.

Once I looked for covers and (from the same supplier) Vandaking was the cheapest.

Are you satisfied with the clairevoire? Outside is velvet and inside is also a layer of something?

8000 Post Club Member
8000 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by Gombessa
Originally Posted by ShiroKuro
I never set anything on the lid, and I keep it completely closed when not playing. But I play most every day, so when I play, I open the lid and put it on the prop stick, and when I'm done, I close it all up again (fallboard and everything).

ShiroKuro, I do the same every day, and I always wonder if 1) there is any harm keeping the lid open versus 2) if there is any harm opening and closing it every day. I have no idea, but I suspect closing it keeps a little bit of dust away (my house is very dusty for some reason).

Re #1: I think the drawbacks to keeping the lid open probably include more dust in the piano, and maybe possibility of slightly lower tuning stability?? Maybe not.

Re #2: I suspect any "wear and tear" from opening and closing the lid is less than the strain on the wood and hardware of keeping it open all the time.

Here is where build-quality probably comes into play as well. A lower tier piano, or a much older piano, may have lower quality hardware. But I can't imagine a Yamaha C-series (or even G-series) piano that couldn't take daily opening and closing. Same for your Bosie!

Started piano June 1999.
Proud owner of a Yamaha C2

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

Moderated by  Gombessa, Piano World, platuser 

Link Copied to Clipboard
What's Hot!!
Piano World Has Been Sold!
--------------------
Forums RULES, Terms of Service & HELP
(updated 06/06/2022)
---------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
(ad)
(ad)
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Very Cheap Piano?
by Tweedpipe - 04/16/24 10:13 AM
Country style lessons
by Stephen_James - 04/16/24 06:04 AM
How Much to Sell For?
by TexasMom1 - 04/15/24 10:23 PM
Song lyrics have become simpler and more repetitive
by FrankCox - 04/15/24 07:42 PM
New bass strings sound tubby
by Emery Wang - 04/15/24 06:54 PM
Forum Statistics
Forums43
Topics223,387
Posts3,349,212
Members111,632
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations |

Advertise on Piano World
| Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map

Copyright © VerticalScope Inc. All Rights Reserved.
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission