2022 our 25th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Who's Online Now
28 members (APianistHasNoName, crab89, Fried Chicken, CraiginNZ, bwv543, Cominut, Colin Miles, 9 invisible), 1,217 guests, and 286 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
#3228302 06/26/22 02:36 PM
R
Rhailey Offline OP
OP Offline
R
If given the choice between 2 kawais, a 40 year old, 6’2” for 6k and a 30 year old 5’8” for 7k, which would you pick? Assuming both are in good condition, moderate wear, and both have good tone.

Thanks
Ridley

G
9000 Post Club Member
9000 Post Club Member
G
Originally Posted by Rhailey
If given the choice between 2 kawais, a 40 year old, 6’2” for 6k and a 30 year old 5’8” for 7k, which would you pick? Assuming both are in good condition, moderate wear, and both have good tone.

Thanks
Ridley

Well your hypothetical kind of implies everything is in the same condition, meaning nothing on the 40yo will wear down and break any earlier, including the strings, action or soundboard. In that case, the age is meaningless, right? So just choose the larger piano if you can fit it.

Bosendorfer D214VC ENPro
Past: Yamaha P-85, P-105, CP50, Kawai MP11, Kawai NV10
Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member
Good condition according to your evaluation or a tech's evaluation? I think "good" has a pretty big range and an inspection by a tech, assuming it's not already done, should be considered especially if you are reasonably sure you're going to buy one of the pianos. It's even possible that the 40 year old is in better condition than the 30 year old piano and then the choice would be easy because of its greater length.

How is the bass tone in the 6'2" piano vs. the shorter model? Do you have any preferences about the touch, tone, and appearance of either piano? Are the two piano at the same location?

Last edited by pianoloverus; 06/26/22 02:48 PM.
R
Rhailey Offline OP
OP Offline
R
Thanks for the well thought out responses. Like everything, I guess it just depends. I haven see or played with of these pianos, I suppose I was just wondering if the 10 extra years on the larger piano would automatically make it less desirable than the younger smaller piano.

From what I’ve read here, pianos have a 50 year lifespan (very generally speaking)

Thanks for the well thought out responses. Like everything, I guess it just depends. I haven see or played with of these pianos, I suppose I was just wondering if the 10 extra years on the larger piano would automatically make it less desirable than the younger smaller piano.

From what I’ve read here, pianos have a 50 year lifespan (very generally speaking)
The ten extra years don't automatically make it less desirable. And even if the older piano is in slightly worse condition it has the advantage of being longer.

You should first play both pianos assuming they're reasonably close by and then, if either appeals to you, hire a tech for an inspection of one of both. Some 30 or 40 year old pianos are in great condition and some are in terrible condition. You cannot go by an ad or seller's opinion that they says they are in excellent condition which is I guess is all you know right now.

Saying pianos have a 50 year life span is just an estimate which depends greatly on the quality of the piano and the care it received, It also doesn't mean that piano has to be junked after 50 years.

R
Rhailey Offline OP
OP Offline
R
Thank you all

R
Rhailey Offline OP
OP Offline
R
I played one of these pianos today, the 40 year old 6’ kawai and found the action to be too heavy. I did play a Yamaha of a similar age, g2, in great condition (rarely played, good environment, etc). I really loved the touch and sound - what price would you think is fair for this piano? Not including delivery

Gold Subscriber
Gold Subscriber
I played one of these pianos today, the 40 year old 6’ kawai and found the action to be too heavy. I did play a Yamaha of a similar age, g2, in great condition (rarely played, good environment, etc). I really loved the touch and sound - what price would you think is fair for this piano? Not including delivery

Price depends on the market in a specific area. There is no way to estimate a "fair" price not knowing where you are, nor how good that "great condition" is, nor what the market is like for used Yamaha G2s. The best suggestion one could make would be to check what is available in your area and find what comparable instruments are selling for, if such are even on the market

Otherwise, a technician, after inspecting a piano that you may want to buy, could probably give you a better idea of a fair price for the Yamaha G2.

Regards,

BruceD
- - - - -
Estonia 190
S
S
i dont think its possible both will have the same condition. Piano over 30 years is likely need to be reconditioned at least. I would take pick the one with better condition, and leave some budget for tech for prep work.

PLEYEL P124
R
Rhailey Offline OP
OP Offline
R
I’m in Georgia

Moderated by  Gombessa, Piano World, platuser 

Link Copied to Clipboard
What's Hot!!
Piano World Has Been Sold!
--------------------
Forums RULES, Terms of Service & HELP
(updated 06/06/2022)
---------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
(ad)
(ad)
New Topics - Multiple Forums
How Much to Sell For?
by TexasMom1 - 04/15/24 10:23 PM
Song lyrics have become simpler and more repetitive
by FrankCox - 04/15/24 07:42 PM
New bass strings sound tubby
by Emery Wang - 04/15/24 06:54 PM
Pianodisc PDS-128+ calibration
by Dalem01 - 04/15/24 04:50 PM
Forum Statistics
Forums43
Topics223,384
Posts3,349,178
Members111,631
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations |

Advertise on Piano World
| Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map

Copyright © VerticalScope Inc. All Rights Reserved.
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission