2022 our 25th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

Shop our online store for music lovers
SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Pianoteq
Steinway Spiro Layering
(ad)
Piano Life Saver - Dampp Chaser
Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver
(ad)
Wessell Nickel & Gross
PianoForAll
Who's Online Now
34 members (80k, brennbaer, Frank Illenberger, Charles Cohen, clothearednincompo, CharlesXX, CraiginNZ, 9 invisible), 2,296 guests, and 275 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
(ad)
Estonia Pianos
Estonia Pianos
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Ubu Offline OP
500 Post Club Member
OP Offline
500 Post Club Member
I'm practicing a little bit of modal interchange of chords. So I've been studying lidian mode for a while.

Ok, second degree chord in lidian is dominant, II7. I try to play instead bIImaj (the napolitan 6th in classic harmony). It doesn't work at all.

But then i think, lidian starts on 5th degree of a major scale. And bIImaj works fine on a major scale. So maybe i have to count 5 notes up. So i count from the second degree of lidian, 5 notes up. That's the 6th. In lidian it is VImin. I play bVImaj instead. And it works perfectly!

So now im a little bit confused. When playing some mode, do i have to take into account the degree of the major scale over wich it is build, in order to make the chords interchange work?

In other words, is it actually bVImaj the napolitan 6th of lidian instead of bIImaj?

(ad)
Piano & Music Accessories
piano accessories music gifts tuning and moving equipment
B
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
B
Instead of thinking of the Lydian as the 5th mode of a major scale maybe try thinking of it as just an optional flavour of a normal major scale - a major scale with a sharp 4th. You can use the Lydian scale often to play over a major chord (whether it is tonic or subdominant) and also add in the sharp 11 (or 4 if you like) into chord voicings to make the harmony a bit more interesting.

If you think of it like this then the modal interchange chords are all the same as they would be for a regular key of C (things like Fm, Ab major etc). You could even consider a C lydian chord as a modal interchange chord itself (Dmaj triad/C for example) - you are not really in the key of C lydian, rather C lydian is a scale choice that you play over a C major tonality.
I am not sure if this exactly answers your question but I have tried my best.

Last edited by beeboss; 06/19/22 04:55 AM.
Ubu Offline OP
500 Post Club Member
OP Offline
500 Post Club Member
Thankyou for your answer.

I understand what you say, and i agree in considering each mode as flavours by themselves, not just degrees of the major scale.

But when i found that i could not by any means make sound right a bIImaj on lidian mode, but unexpectedly bVImaj sounds right, i started trying to understand why is that.

That's when my grasp started, that may be it is just because lidian starts on 5th of major.

B
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
B
Well I suppose when you say it “doesn’t sound right” then that is a judgement based upon the sort of sounds you like or the sounds you are used to. To me it sounds perfectly fine, and is a pretty common sound - Dbmaj7 going to Cmaj 7 sharp11- the kind of thing that one may play as an intro to a tune like ‘girl from ipanema’ maybe, hardly dissonant or controversial.

I put a couple of chords into a score writing programe to show you a typical voicing but I can’t work out how to upload it for display here…hmm

I guess I can spell it out…

ist chord Db maj13 - Left hand just plays Db, right hand plays (in ascending order) Ab Bb Eb F
2nd chord Cmaj7 sharp 11 - LH plays C, RH plays G B E Fsharp

The Dbmaj 7 chord would probably take Db lydian scale so it is really just a chord being transposed down a semitone

Ubu Offline OP
500 Post Club Member
OP Offline
500 Post Club Member
Damm, you are right, it works. I can even use it as a true napolitan in combination with V7. I don't know why i was so convinced that it couldn't work. Thankyou very much.

S
3000 Post Club Member
3000 Post Club Member
S
Originally Posted by Ubu
I'm practicing a little bit of modal interchange of chords. So I've been studying lidian mode for a while.

Ok, second degree chord in lidian is dominant, II7. I try to play instead bIImaj (the napolitan 6th in classic harmony). It doesn't work at all.

But then i think, lidian starts on 5th degree of a major scale. And bIImaj works fine on a major scale. So maybe i have to count 5 notes up. So i count from the second degree of lidian, 5 notes up. That's the 6th. In lidian it is VImin. I play bVImaj instead. And it works perfectly!

So now im a little bit confused. When playing some mode, do i have to take into account the degree of the major scale over wich it is build, in order to make the chords interchange work?

In other words, is it actually bVImaj the napolitan 6th of lidian instead of bIImaj?

The lydian mode starts on the 4th degree of the C scale. In lydian you cant construct a Neapolitan chord the way it is done in a major or minor scale since the 4th degree is sharped and thus you get an augmented third instead of a major one. If I understand what you doing. When you say you use flatVI it depends what sort of chord sequence you play but yes in Lydian mode the flatVI is the same chord as the neapolitan II in major.

Blüthner model 6
B
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
B
Originally Posted by Sidokar
The lydian mode starts on the 4th degree of the C scale.

Yes, Lydian is the 4th mode of the major scale, apologies for my earlier typo.

If you want to work out what C lydian scale is though you can count up the 5th degree of the major scale from C (ie to G) and then play the major scale based on that note - this is then C Lydian (ie G major). I can see how this stuff in confusing.

2000 Post Club Member
2000 Post Club Member
We cannot function in a Lydian mode as if it were a major scale because it does not have the Subdominant note of 4. That eliminates most of the chords that occur naturally in major scale harmony. Thus we don't find a very useful set of diatonic chords in a Lydian mode.

The "Lydian" is essentially applied as a major 7th chord with an added #4 and not much more than that.
And of course, we don't like playing a natural 4 on a major 7th chord, so we might try Lydian...

Neopolitan 6th? We call that bII in jazz and pop harmony, which seems much clearer to me.

Why are we trying to apply classical theory to Lydian in the "non-classical" forum?

Harry Likas was the Technical Editor of Mark Levine's "The Jazz Theory Book" and also helped develop "The Jazz Piano Book." Harry spends his time teaching jazz piano online and playing solo piano gigs.
Ubu Offline OP
500 Post Club Member
OP Offline
500 Post Club Member
My initial question was about how to make sound right a bIImaj over lydian actually. I called napolitan just for simplicity.

And yes it was my mistake to say lidian starts on 5 of major. Is the other way around, major starts on 5 of lidian, i think that's where i made the error.

2000 Post Club Member
2000 Post Club Member
Why not play this?

||: Db | C LYD :||

Harry Likas was the Technical Editor of Mark Levine's "The Jazz Theory Book" and also helped develop "The Jazz Piano Book." Harry spends his time teaching jazz piano online and playing solo piano gigs.

Link Copied to Clipboard
(ad)
Best of Piano Buyer
Piano Buyer - Read the Articles, Explore the website
(ad)
PianoDisc

PianoDisc
(ad)
Faust Harrison Pianos
Faust Harrison 100+ Steinway pianos
(ad)
Mason & Hamlin Pianos
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Kawai VPC 1 / Pianoteq latency question
by DFx - 06/29/22 10:35 PM
Best tuning hammer for $100
by onerj - 06/29/22 05:56 PM
Mendolson-Liszt Lieder s.547
by danno858 - 06/29/22 04:28 PM
Anybody else noticed this?
by mivaldes - 06/29/22 03:14 PM
Roland Hp704 VSTs
by axomas - 06/29/22 03:10 PM
Download Sheet Music
Virtual Sheet Music - Classical Sheet Music Downloads
What's Hot!!
FREE June Newsletter is Here!
--------------------
Forums RULES, Terms of Service & HELP
(updated 06/06/2022)
-------------------
Music Store Going Out of Business Sale!
---------------------
Mr. PianoWorld's Original Composition
---------------------
Sell Your Piano on our world famous Piano Forums!
---------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
-------------------
ADVERTISE on Piano World
Forum Statistics
Forums43
Topics213,733
Posts3,204,332
Members105,678
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010
Please Support Our Advertisers

Faust Harrison 100+ Steinways

Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver

Best of Piano Buyer

PianoTeq Bechstein
Visit our online store for gifts for music lovers

Virtual Sheet Music - Classical Sheet Music Downloads

Help keep the forums up and running with a donation, any amount is appreciated!
Or by becoming a Subscribing member! Thank-you.
Donate   Subscribe

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations | Pianos For Sale | Sell Your Piano |

Advertise on Piano World
| Subscribe | Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map | Free Newsletter | MapleStreetMusicShop.com - Our store in Cornish Maine

© copyright 1997 - 2022 Piano World ® all rights reserved
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission