2022 our 25th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

Shop our online store for music lovers
SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Pianoteq
Steinway Spiro Layering
(ad)
Piano Life Saver - Dampp Chaser
Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver
(ad)
Wessell Nickel & Gross
PianoForAll
Who's Online Now
68 members (AndreaH, BillS728, anotherscott, 80k, AaronSF, BMKE, 3B43, ambrozy, 17 invisible), 3,940 guests, and 304 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
(ad)
Estonia Pianos
Estonia Pianos
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
D
OP Offline
D
I'm searching for a DP which is not pricy but will last me for a few years. The sound and all the other cool features are not as important to me as the action is.

Almost everyone says the PHA-4 feels better than the GHS and RHC and it also has that triple sensor thing BUT it's heavy which means it can be tiring and it takes time rise up so it's not suitable for fast repetitions and that's something that can limit me in the far future. I was wondering if that's a valid reason to skip the FP-30X and go for the other options. If so, which one should I choose?

3000 Post Club Member
3000 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by DavidMan
I'm searching for a DP which is not pricy but will last me for a few years. The sound and all the other cool features are not as important to me as the action is.

Almost everyone says the PHA-4 feels better than the GHS and RHC and it also has that triple sensor thing BUT it's heavy which means it can be tiring and it takes time rise up so it's not suitable for fast repetitions and that's something that can limit me in the far future. I was wondering if that's a valid reason to skip the FP-30X and go for the other options. If so, which one should I choose?

What's your budget?
Are you willing to buy used instruments?

Instruments......Kawai MP7SE.............................................(Past - Kawai MP7, Yamaha PSR7000)
Software..........Sibelius 7; Neuratron Photoscore Pro 8
Stand...............K&M 18953 Table-style Stage Piano Stand
Piano stool.......K&M 14093 Piano stool
D
OP Offline
D
1000 USD and I am willing to buy used items if its really worth it

3000 Post Club Member
3000 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by DavidMan
1000 USD and I am willing to buy used items if its really worth it

I would say that for people reaching grade 6, the benefit of buying a used digital (especially if you have a lowish budget) is that you are able to buy a piano with a more nuanced action: which can cope better with the requirements of grade-6 to 8 pieces.

Also, if buying a recent model used, the sampling bit-rate etc., will be much higher in an intermediately priced piano than in a lower priced model.

Now from a beginner's perspective, yes you can buy a new instrument for $1000 which will suffice.
The depreciation with digital pianos is worse than for cars.
A new $1,600 mid-level portable piano (e.g., ES920, FP90X, P515 etc) will sell used about 2 years later for a tad over $1000.
A new $850 low-priced portable piano (e.g., ES110; FP30X, P125) will sell used for about $350--$450

An intermediate level portable piano should last ----maintainance free---for about 10 years. If you do have to pay for ware-and-tear repairs due to regular intensive practice, then the cost of repair will be relatively low---typically the labour bill for 2h work dwarfs the part cost e.g., $70/h.

Ergo, buying 2-3 year old used digital piano is not a bad bargain.

As you test before you buy a used instrument, you can ensure it fully works before purchasing ---whereas new instruments get shipped by the store to your house and you get what you get.

So what I advise is to go to a store and test lots of models from low-mid-&-high priced models---get an idea of what they feel and sound like to play.
If you feel like buying an intermediate level portable or cabinet piano, you can always come back to this question and ask tips on buying used.
*there are a few posts on this topic already which can be googled smile.

Last edited by Doug M.; 06/21/22 10:23 AM.

Instruments......Kawai MP7SE.............................................(Past - Kawai MP7, Yamaha PSR7000)
K
Online Content
K
if the es110 NEW is 555 euro, get that. otherwise fp30x. but do try them first you might hate one or the other.

_
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
_
> Almost everyone says the PHA-4 feels better than the GHS and RHC and it also has that triple sensor thing BUT it's heavy which means it can be tiring and it takes time rise up so it's not suitable for fast repetitions and that's something that can limit me in the far future. I was wondering if that's a valid reason to skip the FP-30X and go for the other options. If so, which one should I choose?

You should try them yourself and choose which you like the most. Ignore what everybody says because this is very subjective. The ES120 is not widely available yet but should have slightly improved action (though one may prefer discounted ES110). Regarding Yamaha slabs, you may also try the lower CLP7x5 series, the GTS action will likely soon migrate to their slabs too.

3000 Post Club Member
3000 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by _sem_
> Almost everyone says the PHA-4 feels better than the GHS and RHC and it also has that triple sensor thing BUT it's heavy which means it can be tiring and it takes time rise up so it's not suitable for fast repetitions and that's something that can limit me in the far future. I was wondering if that's a valid reason to skip the FP-30X and go for the other options. If so, which one should I choose?

You should try them yourself and choose which you like the most. Ignore what everybody says because this is very subjective. The ES120 is not widely available yet but should have slightly improved action (though one may prefer discounted ES110). Regarding Yamaha slabs, you may also try the lower CLP7x5 series, the GTS action will likely soon migrate to their slabs too.

Fyi David: GTS (Grand Touch - Small) - a modified version of the NXW action with improvements in weighting of the black keys. I think Sem is talking about the GTS in the Yamaha cabinet pianos...
CLP735 is plastic
CLP745 is wood.

Also fyi: the Yamaha digital piano nomenclature is confusing so..
CLP = Clavinova
CSP = Clavinova Smart Piano (comes with an app (Smart Pianist) to help you learn and other education gizmos).
CVP = Clavinova Versatile Piano (an arranger piano series using similar technology to the Tyros/genos arranger workstations and the electone series organs)

Last edited by Doug M.; 06/21/22 10:59 AM.

N
N
With a budget of 1000, I'd probably go for a Kawai ES110. I wouldn't say "everyone' thinks the PHA-4 is better. I'd rank them roughly equally, maybe a slight edge to the kawai. It should be quite easy to find somewhere to play the roland if you're in the US and not too hard to find an ES110 or ES520 to try out the Kawai action.

9000 Post Club Member
9000 Post Club Member
Any of the actions you describe and the pianos attached to them will get you into the upper grades. GHS from Yamaha is ok, but I still found it taxing some years ago, for my dodgy fingers. PHA 4 is fine to play but is not light. RHC found on the ES110 is to me, the best. The piano itself is very dynamic, but you soon learn to get used to this, like you'd have to on an acoustic.
ES110 does not have good speakers, but they do a reaonable job. and the piano's cheap. Mine has a 5 year g'tee on it.

"I am not a man. I am a free number"

"[Linked Image]"
K
Online Content
K
peterws, are you sure you're talking about ghs, i've played ghs myself, I wouldnt' classify it as much heavier than the rhc, it's tighter at the top, but overall, pretty close in resistance taking the whole travel into account.

of course, all actions are fundamentally Inferior to the RHC.

Last edited by KawaFanboi; 06/21/22 07:13 PM.
M
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
M
I wouldn't worry about repetition rate whatsoever.

I've had all the actions you mention and I would steer clear of the GHS - the constant up-weight made playing this for extended periods quite tiring.

I loved the RHC action in the ES 110 I had - I never fell in love with the (RHC 2 ?) action in the ES 520.

If I had to pick a cheap DP solely on action I would go with the 110 every time.
If I were to broaden my criteria and also consider sound and features the FP-30X would be my choice - action is fine and USB audio is a key feature to me - but may be entirely meaningless to you depending on what you'll be doing with the instrument.

Cheers
Morten

9000 Post Club Member
9000 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by KawaFanboi
peterws, are you sure you're talking about ghs, i've played ghs myself, I wouldnt' classify it as much heavier than the rhc, it's tighter at the top, but overall, pretty close in resistance taking the whole travel into account.

of course, all actions are fundamentally Inferior to the RHC.

I been playing GHS for years on my DGXs. I had three; they were fine istruments and the keyboard too, was fine but tiring particularly if you dug further into the keys for any prolonged period. I found GH and GH3 to be no better, since of course, they were heavier.
RHC isn't perfect, but it's the best I'll find for my purposes at the moment..
It's a grest compromise.

"I am not a man. I am a free number"

"[Linked Image]"

Moderated by  Piano World 

Link Copied to Clipboard
(ad)
Best of Piano Buyer
Piano Buyer - Read the Articles, Explore the website
(ad)
PianoDisc

PianoDisc
(ad)
Faust Harrison Pianos
Faust Harrison 100+ Steinway pianos
(ad)
Mason & Hamlin Pianos
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Kawai NV5 sustain pedal problem
by John Dean - 07/01/22 05:41 PM
Grand piano cover
by Belger1900 - 07/01/22 05:14 PM
Piano books by Debbie Hess
by song of the bride - 07/01/22 05:08 PM
Handal Messiah sinfonia
by Moo :) - 07/01/22 03:53 PM
Why did I waited so long?
by ignazioc - 07/01/22 03:19 PM
Download Sheet Music
Virtual Sheet Music - Classical Sheet Music Downloads
What's Hot!!
FREE June Newsletter is Here!
--------------------
Forums RULES, Terms of Service & HELP
(updated 06/06/2022)
-------------------
Music Store Going Out of Business Sale!
---------------------
Mr. PianoWorld's Original Composition
---------------------
Sell Your Piano on our world famous Piano Forums!
---------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
-------------------
ADVERTISE on Piano World
Forum Statistics
Forums43
Topics213,764
Posts3,204,732
Members105,689
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010
Please Support Our Advertisers

Faust Harrison 100+ Steinways

Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver

Best of Piano Buyer

PianoTeq Bechstein
Visit our online store for gifts for music lovers

Virtual Sheet Music - Classical Sheet Music Downloads

Help keep the forums up and running with a donation, any amount is appreciated!
Or by becoming a Subscribing member! Thank-you.
Donate   Subscribe

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations | Pianos For Sale | Sell Your Piano |

Advertise on Piano World
| Subscribe | Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map | Free Newsletter | MapleStreetMusicShop.com - Our store in Cornish Maine

© copyright 1997 - 2022 Piano World ® all rights reserved
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission