2022 our 25th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

Shop our online store for music lovers
SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Pianoteq
Steinway Spiro Layering
(ad)
Piano Life Saver - Dampp Chaser
Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver
(ad)
Wessell Nickel & Gross
PianoForAll
Who's Online Now
79 members (AaronSF, BillS728, BMKE, 3B43, ambrozy, 80k, BobTB, Belger1900, Bostonmoores, 15 invisible), 3,674 guests, and 331 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
(ad)
Estonia Pianos
Estonia Pianos
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Chummy Offline OP
OP Offline
hey guys I just found out about this Model S-7 Pro M by Dexibell 88 weighted keyboard with speakers

I noticed the weight 15.4 kilos with 2x35w speakers. The ES920 which I like its action weights 17 kilos even though it has 2x20w speakers. I am thinking of buying this board as a backup for my ES920 which is a month already in repair and is not expected to return soon. The specs just make me suspecious as to how they managed to get it so light and if the action is good piano like hammer action and not "semi weighted" or too cheap feeling. I can't find any dexibells on display but the Kawai RH3 I just liked so much as a gigging keyboard I wonder if you guys have experience can compare, comment on the action and on the S-7 Pro in general: how is it like, reliability, sounds, other features,// what do you not like about it and do you use it for gigging?

thanks for any advice and help
have a chill evening

N
N
The S7 Pro-M does have a weighted hammer action but unfortunately it is what I consider to be the worst 'name brand' hammer action on the market, the Fatar TP-100. It's possible dexibell has calibrated it to be better than usual, but imo it is mushy, heavy, and all around unpleasant to play compared to anything else on the market.

That said, the TP-100 is also likely the most common action that isn't proprietary and plenty of people get along with it just fine. Dexibell's built in sounds are also arguably some of the best on the market. Also note that the S7 Pro M and S7 Pro have entirely different actions, just to be clear, so you can't rely on impressions of one for the other.

I'd also caution that wattage is an unreliable spec on digital pianos. Actual sound output (and quality) depends on myriad other factors.

If you want something light while you wait for your kawai I'd suggest getting one of the more established digital pianos.
I'd I were you I'd just grab a Casio PX-S3100 for the super light weight, but some people find the pivot too short.

Chummy Offline OP
OP Offline
that's disappointing than. action is the most important feature for me frown seems to me the lighter board just don't have enough features and sound quality but the heavier speaker boards are just not too comfortable to carry around (FP-90x etc.). I guess there isn't a lightweight board with a good action (that's not a Roland FP-30X since I hate the action) a good user interface to easily split/layer and also a few more sounds (to include such as marimba etc..)

Chummy Offline OP
OP Offline
I've read some reviews on the PX-S3100 saying the action is uneven and the black keys are lighter or something. I would also ideally prefer something to be able to play high level technical stuff. i.e not to light, which is my the RHIII Kawai was perfect. Maybe another action in the lines of that one?

N
N
Originally Posted by Chummy
I've read some reviews on the PX-S3100 saying the action is uneven and the black keys are lighter or something. I would also ideally prefer something to be able to play high level technical stuff. i.e not to light, which is my the RHIII Kawai was perfect. Maybe another action in the lines of that one?

I think this is something you'd ideally just have to test yourself. I'm an early intermediate player so my own impressions may not be very relevant, but there are advanced players that seem to enjoy or at least get along with the casio action. A semi-finalist from the Chopin competition regularly uses a PX-S1100:

I'm pretty sure he was using the casio before the company started sponsoring him, but can't confirm for sure. Anyway, the point is that advanced playing is certainly possible. Whether it's enjoyable for you is another matter.

Personally I would pay no mind to the comments about uneven black and white keys. Not because it's not technically 'true,' but because it's a highly reductive comment of a more subtle physical experience - in-hand feel is more important. The black keys are lighter than the weight keys at the front, yes, but the difference becomes less and less apparent as you move toward the back of the keys. In my hands, it's not really noticeable unless I'm looking for it.

More importantly, it's not clear to me that it's actually worse for playing (my current piano is an MP11SE) than a design with perfectly equal weighting. After all, acoustic pianos have a lever offset between the white and black keys, and it's not like most digital pianos replicate that aspect of design.

The bigger issue for me is the short overall pivot length, but other than that, I really like the feel of the action. I would choose the Casio action over Yamaha GHS, Korg RH3 (not the same as the kawai RHIII, to be clear), Fatar TP100, and maybe the roland PHA-4. It feels sturdier than all those actions, is weighted nicely, and is highly sensitive to quieter dynamics. That said, I'd probably still rank Kawai's entry level RHC over it, at least for playing the built-in sounds.

You could also look for an older PX-360 or PX-560 (my previous digital piano), which have a different, longer action without the same key weighting issue. But I actually prefer the feel of the newer casio keys overall, and the sound quality on those is far superior.

Casio aside, and since you don't like the FP-30X, have you considered just getting an ES520 in the meantime? Seems like it'd get you very close to your ES920 experience.

Moderated by  Piano World 

Link Copied to Clipboard
(ad)
Best of Piano Buyer
Piano Buyer - Read the Articles, Explore the website
(ad)
PianoDisc

PianoDisc
(ad)
Faust Harrison Pianos
Faust Harrison 100+ Steinway pianos
(ad)
Mason & Hamlin Pianos
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Kawai NV5 sustain pedal problem
by John Dean - 07/01/22 05:41 PM
Grand piano cover
by Belger1900 - 07/01/22 05:14 PM
Piano books by Debbie Hess
by song of the bride - 07/01/22 05:08 PM
Handal Messiah sinfonia
by Moo :) - 07/01/22 03:53 PM
Why did I waited so long?
by ignazioc - 07/01/22 03:19 PM
Download Sheet Music
Virtual Sheet Music - Classical Sheet Music Downloads
What's Hot!!
FREE June Newsletter is Here!
--------------------
Forums RULES, Terms of Service & HELP
(updated 06/06/2022)
-------------------
Music Store Going Out of Business Sale!
---------------------
Mr. PianoWorld's Original Composition
---------------------
Sell Your Piano on our world famous Piano Forums!
---------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
-------------------
ADVERTISE on Piano World
Forum Statistics
Forums43
Topics213,763
Posts3,204,723
Members105,689
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010
Please Support Our Advertisers

Faust Harrison 100+ Steinways

Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver

Best of Piano Buyer

PianoTeq Bechstein
Visit our online store for gifts for music lovers

Virtual Sheet Music - Classical Sheet Music Downloads

Help keep the forums up and running with a donation, any amount is appreciated!
Or by becoming a Subscribing member! Thank-you.
Donate   Subscribe

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations | Pianos For Sale | Sell Your Piano |

Advertise on Piano World
| Subscribe | Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map | Free Newsletter | MapleStreetMusicShop.com - Our store in Cornish Maine

© copyright 1997 - 2022 Piano World ® all rights reserved
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission