2022 our 25th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

Shop our online store for music lovers
SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Pianoteq
Steinway Spiro Layering
(ad)
Piano Life Saver - Dampp Chaser
Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver
(ad)
Wessell Nickel & Gross
PianoForAll
Who's Online Now
69 members (AJB, antune, babooshka, anotherscott, 0day, 36251, 16 invisible), 1,054 guests, and 286 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
(ad)
Estonia Pianos
Estonia Pianos
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 8 of 14 1 2 6 7 8 9 10 13 14
B
B
I am surprised by Khandohi and Shmuckler. Optics are at play for including Anna (sole female) and Stephenson (United States). But both can play, really everyone is deserving at this stage. Kamei was the biggest notable exception, I thought he outplayed everyone except Lim.
Disappointed that Marcel did not advance, he had the most creative programming, and was getting stronger at each stage. And I loved his Mozart.

Estonia 190 #6209
Working on:
Liszt: Chasse Neige
F

Silver Supporter until Jan 02 2013
2000 Post Club Member

Silver Supporter until Jan 02 2013
2000 Post Club Member
F
I’m speechless. I thought both Tadokoro and Kamei did very well. But they are both young. Especially Kamei. I am certain that the experience of the world stage make them progress even more.
At least we were treated with their excellent performances.

K
K
Concertos we'll hear:

Beethoven 1st (Geniushene)
Beethoven 3rd (Choni, Lim)
Chopin 1st (Khandohi)
Gershwin (Stephenson)
Grieg (Shmukler)

Prokofiev 3rd (Choni)
Rachmaninov 2nd (Khandohi)
Rachmaninov 3rd (Lim, Shmukler, Stephenson)
Tchaikovsky 1st (Geniushene)

First time I can recall that the Gershwin and Grieg concertos are being played here.

Feels like a lot of Rachmaninov 3rds, but it could be worse. In 2001 they not only had *4* competitors playing it, they also had each competitor play each of their concerti twice, making it 8 performances total.

3000 Post Club Member
3000 Post Club Member
I told you so about Shmukler.

I was never that keen on Tadokoro, but enough people are that I'm sure the future is bright for him.

Khandohi was never on my radar, I'll have to review his performances.

I thought Lim was the best of the Koreans, and I'm sure he will medal!

WhoDwaldi
Howard (by Kawai) 5' 10"
P
P
Some of the standout performances for me were:

Choni - Quarterfinal recital: Prok Sarcasms, L’Isle Joyeuse, Dante Sonata
Geniushena - Semifinal recital: Beethoven Bagatelles, Prok 8
Khandohi - Prok 6
Lim - K482 Concerto, overall level of accomplishment for his age
Shmukler - Prok 8
Stephenson - Prok 7, Liszt B Minor Ballade, Firebird, K467 Concerto

Of those not making through, I particularly remember:
Kamei - Semifinal recital: La Campanella, Gaspard, Islamey
Sun - Quarterfinal recital: Vine Bagatelles, Chopin Fantasy, Bach-Busoni Chaconne
Tadokoro - Strategic error in programming mostly all groups of smaller pieces (variations, suites, individual pieces, etc.).

K
K
Some of my own highlights so far from the finalists (still haven't caught up on all the semifinal recitals)

Choni: 2nd movement of his Rachmaninov Sonata, the slower moments in his Dante Sonata
Geniushena: Her preliminary round Etudes Tableaux (#4 in particular, but the whole set, really)
Khandohi: Schumann Symphonic Etudes and Prokofiev sonata.
Lim: His Mozart (both the Sonata and the Concerto) and his Scriabin.
Shmukler: His Bach-Busoni.
Stephenson: His Haydn sonata and Liszt Ballade

S
S
I didn't go through the performance of each & every contestant (no time, so just randomly watched a few), but I trust the panel of judges make a rational call. If taking away the performance element for the time being, isn't the combination of finalists (nationality, gender, race) fit the current political environment of US?

500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
Yes!
FOUR of my Original Choices from the Preliminary Round made it all the way to the Finals!

This would be my favorite order:
1 Yunchan Lim
2 Clayton Stephenson
3 Dmytro Choni
4 Ilya Shmukler

This will probably be the actual order:
#1 Yunchan Lim
#2 Dmytro Choni
#3 Anna Geniushene
#4 Clayton Stephenson
#5 Ilya Shmukler
#6 Uladzislau Khandohi

I think 'the kid' is going to steal the show and take the whole thing.
3hearts

Will now be watching all the Concertos
Disappointed tho that Sun did not make it thru - would love to have heard the Beethoven 5th!

These are just all my opinion
Can't wait to read some of the other opinions/posts

brdwyguy

PS reading many of the posts, esp Brendan's, I am learning what to listen for in the performances.
I don't know many of these pieces so can't tell if someone is playing a wrong note/chord/etc.
I DO know the Beethoven 5th & Prokofiev 3rd, why I was pulling a little for 'Sun' - so I could follow along with my
piano score. LOL

Last edited by brdwyguy; 06/13/22 08:40 AM.

1961-1964: Lester or Emerson Upright
1969-1992: Westbrook Spinet
1991-2021: Schomacker Model A (1912) "Schoowie"
2021-Present: Steinway Model A (1912) "Amalia"

To Listen to my Music is to know me. To know me all you need do is listen to my music.
B
Brendan Offline OP
5000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
5000 Post Club Member
B
Originally Posted by BeeZee4
I am surprised by Khandohi and Shmuckler. Optics are at play for including Anna (sole female) and Stephenson (United States). But both can play, really everyone is deserving at this stage. Kamei was the biggest notable exception, I thought he outplayed everyone except Lim.
Disappointed that Marcel did not advance, he had the most creative programming, and was getting stronger at each stage. And I loved his Mozart.

I'm also inclined to believe that something else is going on. There was no reason to omit Kamei in favor of Shmukler, who very much fits the stereotype of standard competition playing in the 90s/early 2000s and has musically already shown us his limits (you can very much tell the influence of his teacher, Ioudenitch). Similarly, I like Clayton's energy and drive but don't think that he also played better than Kamei. Anna had several obvious memory slips in her Prokofiev and was pretty harsh with the accents and articulation in her Beethoven, but she went last. The Verdi-Liszt was lovely, though.

Khandohi is more of a new generation of Russian pianists in the style of Shiskin and Trifonov (he's clearly emulating their mannerisms), but musically it's not compelling to my ears.

Anyway, whatever - competitions are competitions and someone always ends up going home before they probably should. My honest feeling is that Choni or Lim will win and Stephenson will get a top prize.

Final schedule:

Bass Performance Hall

TUESDAY, JUNE 14, 2022

Final Round Concert 1

7:30 p.m.
Yunchan Lim, South Korea, 18 – BEETHOVEN Piano Concerto No. 3 in C Minor, op. 37
Ilya Shmukler, Russia, 27 – RACHMANINOV Piano Concerto No. 3 in D Minor, op. 30
20-minute intermission
Clayton Stephenson, United States, 23– GERSHWIN Piano Concerto in F Major

WEDNESDAY, JUNE 15, 2022

Final Round Concert 2

Uladzislau Khandohi, Belarus, 20 – RACHMANINOV Piano Concerto No. 2 in C Minor, op. 18
Anna Geniushene, Russia, 31 – BEETHOVEN Piano Concerto No. 1 in C Major, op. 15
20-minute intermission
Dmytro Choni, Ukraine, 28 – PROKOFIEV Piano Concerto No. 3 in C Major, op. 26

FRIDAY, JUNE 17, 2022

Final Round Concert 3

Clayton Stephenson, United States, 23 – RACHMANINOV Piano Concerto No. 3 in D Minor, op. 30
Ilya Shmukler, Russia, 27 – GRIEG Piano Concerto in A Minor, op. 16
20-minute intermission
Yunchan Lim, South Korea, 18 – RACHMANINOV Piano Concerto No. 3 in D Minor, op. 30

SATURDAY, JUNE 18, 2022

Final Round Concert 4

3:00 p.m.
Dmytro Choni, Ukraine, 28 – BEETHOVEN Piano Concerto No. 3 in C Minor, op. 37
Uladzislau Khandohi, Belarus, 20 – CHOPIN Piano Concerto No. 1 in E Minor, op. 11
20-minute intermission
Anna Geniushene, Russia, 31 – TCHAIKOVSKY Piano Concerto No. 1 in B-flat Minor, op. 23

B
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
B
Originally Posted by Brendan
Originally Posted by BeeZee4

I'm also inclined to believe that something else is going on. There was no reason to omit Kamei in favor of Shmukler, who very much fits the stereotype of standard competition playing in the 90s/early 2000s and has musically already shown us his limits (you can very much tell the influence of his teacher, Ioudenitch). Similarly, I like Clayton's energy and drive but don't think that he also played better than Kamei. Anna had several obvious memory slips in her Prokofiev and was pretty harsh with the accents and articulation in her Beethoven, but she went last. The Verdi-Liszt was lovely, though.

Khandohi is more of a new generation of Russian pianists in the style of Shiskin and Trifonov (he's clearly emulating their mannerisms), but musically it's not compelling to my ears.

Anyway, whatever - competitions are competitions and someone always ends up going home before they probably should. My honest feeling is that Choni or Lim will win and Stephenson will get a top prize.

Final schedule:

Bass Performance Hall

TUESDAY, JUNE 14, 2022

Final Round Concert 1

Yunchan Lim, South Korea, 18 – BEETHOVEN Piano Concerto No. 3 in C Minor, op. 37
Ilya Shmukler, Russia, 27 – RACHMANINOV Piano Concerto No. 3 in D Minor, op. 30
20-minute intermission
Clayton Stephenson, United States, 23– GERSHWIN Piano Concerto in F Major

WEDNESDAY, JUNE 15, 2022

Final Round Concert 2

Uladzislau Khandohi, Belarus, 20 – RACHMANINOV Piano Concerto No. 2 in C Minor, op. 18
Anna Geniushene, Russia, 31 – BEETHOVEN Piano Concerto No. 1 in C Major, op. 15
20-minute intermission
Dmytro Choni, Ukraine, 28 – PROKOFIEV Piano Concerto No. 3 in C Major, op. 26

FRIDAY, JUNE 17, 2022

Final Round Concert 3

Clayton Stephenson, United States, 23 – RACHMANINOV Piano Concerto No. 3 in D Minor, op. 30
Ilya Shmukler, Russia, 27 – GRIEG Piano Concerto in A Minor, op. 16
20-minute intermission
Yunchan Lim, South Korea, 18 – RACHMANINOV Piano Concerto No. 3 in D Minor, op. 30

SATURDAY, JUNE 18, 2022

Final Round Concert 4

3:00 p.m.
Dmytro Choni, Ukraine, 28 – BEETHOVEN Piano Concerto No. 3 in C Minor, op. 37
Uladzislau Khandohi, Belarus, 20 – CHOPIN Piano Concerto No. 1 in E Minor, op. 11
20-minute intermission
Anna Geniushene, Russia, 31 – TCHAIKOVSKY Piano Concerto No. 1 in B-flat Minor, op. 23

Why would they put two Rach 3 on the same night? There was enough variety to space it out.

T
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
T
This is kind of late but, wow Lim's Feux Follets was incredibly competent. I haven't listened to all the rounds but Lim's technique shines through the tough competition IMO.

V
V
Historically speaking, the final roster of the Cliburn has always seemed to indicate that diversity is a major consideration. This might explain some questionable--or even downright perplexing--decisions.

(Remember a few Cliburns back there was THE PIANIST WHO MUST NOT BE NAMED whose inclusion left us all bewildered?)

That said, given the importance of representation I can't get too mad about it. And--if I may further indulge my unfounded suspicions--it seems that sometimes they may choose to leave out an artist who is already clearly so developed and already has such career momentum that they will likely do fine without being able to list "Cliburn Competition Finalist" on their C. V., whereas others can really use that boost. In this competition, Kamei is the sacrificial lamb. While disappointing, I can't say I'm worried about his future prospects as a pianist.

K
K
Originally Posted by boo1234
Why would they put two Rach 3 on the same night? There was enough variety to space it out.

They wanted to space out everyone's concerto performances equally, so they put three people on Tuesday/Friday, and the other three on Wednesday/Saturday.

Khandohi, Choni, and Geniushene all had their long solo recitals on Sunday afternoon/evening, so were put in the Wednesday/Saturday group. That left the three Rach 3 players on Tuesday/Friday, meaning two of them had to be on the same day.

K
K
On a separate note: It seems unfounded (and unfair to the pianists in question) to assume that certain pianists made the final due to "diversity quotas" or anything else separate from their playing.

500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
I like Geniushene. She seems genuine. Pun half-intended.

Soli Chopin gloria
W
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
W
I've attended the Cliburn semi finals in 2001 and 2009. Loved every minute of the live performances so am so glad to have live internet access and replays. This year was incredibly demanding of the performers and I've listened to almost all of the gorgeous music. The talent is deep and whether or not diversity is a consideration, ALL of them are worthy competitors in their own rights. I'm looking forward to the finals and will applaud any of these finalists as the winner.

[Linked Image]
Wise as in learner
Buff as in Colorado Buffalo
B
B
Originally Posted by vers la flan
Historically speaking, the final roster of the Cliburn has always seemed to indicate that diversity is a major consideration. This might explain some questionable--or even downright perplexing--decisions.

(Remember a few Cliburns back there was THE PIANIST WHO MUST NOT BE NAMED whose inclusion left us all bewildered?)

That said, given the importance of representation I can't get too mad about it. And--if I may further indulge my unfounded suspicions--it seems that sometimes they may choose to leave out an artist who is already clearly so developed and already has such career momentum that they will likely do fine without being able to list "Cliburn Competition Finalist" on their C. V., whereas others can really use that boost. In this competition, Kamei is the sacrificial lamb. While disappointing, I can't say I'm worried about his future prospects as a pianist.

Past Cliburn winners don't seem to have a big career momentum generated by other winners of prestigious competitions (Daniil Trifinov, Alexander Kantorow, Seong-jin Cho for instance, winners of either the Tchaikovsky or Chopin). Their debut albums have generated critical raves and their recitals and concert appearances have generated many fans. Jury is still out for Bruce Liu, but who really remembers Andre Michel Schub, Jose Feghali or Alexander Kobrin? Ioudenich is now teaching (one if his students is a finalist here), and as far as Olga Kern is concerned, I would rather see Mitsuko, Beatrice Rana or Yuja in recital. So not every winner is never guaranteed a solid performing career. But public exposure at the Finals stage can boost one's prospects in a performing career if they so desire.

Estonia 190 #6209
Working on:
Liszt: Chasse Neige
K
K
Late to the party on this one, but Shmukler wins my "Where the *** did that come from?" award for his semifinal recital. After his first recital, I was dreading the thought of a similarly assultative approach to Brahms and Prokofiev. Instead, we got an elegant set of variations (with Brahms and Handel both shining through in generous measures) and a Prokofiev sonata with a fantastic degree of control, giving the ending all that much more power when he finally let the leash off.

Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member
Online Content
Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member
I have only been watching the replays so far. What is the link to the live video? Does one have to subscribe to medici to watch the live performances?

Thanks!

Last edited by pianoloverus; 06/13/22 08:47 PM.
W
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
W
Medici.tv broadcasts live and carries replays. I just look for Cliburn Medici and it pops up.

[Linked Image]
Wise as in learner
Buff as in Colorado Buffalo
Page 8 of 14 1 2 6 7 8 9 10 13 14

Moderated by  Brendan, Kreisler 

Link Copied to Clipboard
(ad)
Best of Piano Buyer
Piano Buyer - Read the Articles, Explore the website
(ad)
PianoDisc

PianoDisc
(ad)
Faust Harrison Pianos
Faust Harrison 100+ Steinway pianos
(ad)
Mason & Hamlin Pianos
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Yamaha clp 785 horrible chorus effect
by Chrisgilx - 08/13/22 10:51 AM
How are you learning?
by bennevis - 08/13/22 09:41 AM
Here am and a little help
by Mayopapayo - 08/13/22 07:14 AM
Inspiration
by Pingvin - 08/13/22 06:08 AM
Download Sheet Music
Virtual Sheet Music - Classical Sheet Music Downloads
What's Hot!!
FREE June Newsletter is Here!
--------------------
Forums RULES, Terms of Service & HELP
(updated 06/06/2022)
-------------------
Music Store Going Out of Business Sale!
---------------------
Mr. PianoWorld's Original Composition
---------------------
Sell Your Piano on our world famous Piano Forums!
---------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
-------------------
ADVERTISE on Piano World
Forum Statistics
Forums43
Topics214,375
Posts3,215,974
Members106,078
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010
Please Support Our Advertisers

Faust Harrison 100+ Steinways

Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver

Best of Piano Buyer

PianoTeq Bechstein
Visit our online store for gifts for music lovers

Virtual Sheet Music - Classical Sheet Music Downloads

Help keep the forums up and running with a donation, any amount is appreciated!
Or by becoming a Subscribing member! Thank-you.
Donate   Subscribe

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations | Pianos For Sale | Sell Your Piano |

Advertise on Piano World
| Subscribe | Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map | Free Newsletter | MapleStreetMusicShop.com - Our store in Cornish Maine

© copyright 1997 - 2022 Piano World ® all rights reserved
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission