2022 our 25th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

Shop our online store for music lovers
SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Pianoteq
Steinway Spiro Layering
(ad)
Piano Life Saver - Dampp Chaser
Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver
(ad)
Wessell Nickel & Gross
PianoForAll
Who's Online Now
63 members (BMKE, Brendan, 36251, Andrew E., AndrewJCW, brdwyguy, ambrozy, 15 invisible), 619 guests, and 286 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
(ad)
Estonia Pianos
Estonia Pianos
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 7 of 14 1 2 5 6 7 8 9 13 14
3000 Post Club Member
3000 Post Club Member
And now back to the sports desk in the studio... grin

WhoDwaldi
Howard (by Kawai) 5' 10"
B
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
B
I would be shocked if Lim didn’t win the mozart concerto prize if not the whole thing. His 22 was fantastic.

Last edited by boo1234; 06/11/22 10:41 PM.
P
P
Yes, Lim’s Mozart was quite wonderful. He had great dynamic control and good balance between the hands, unlike in the Transcendental Etudes. It was beautiful playing and the audience reacted with great enthusiasm.

B
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
B
How funny would it be if all the non 20s made it? Although i think it is unlikely since the one who played 9 was not that good. But, I think there is a good chance for 4 of the non d minors to make it.

B
B
Lim's rendition of #22 was indeed a successful enterprise. First of the concerto makes a lot of demands on the wind and horn sections, the soloist is not always highlighted. But his interactions with those orchestral sections when called for was impressive. Tonal colors and phrasing were spot on. Addition of decorative ornamentation showed a pianist in full control of his musicianship, despite his youth. This Mozart only solidifies his chances of advancing.

Were that Clayton took more chances in the so called "Elvira Madigan" concerto. His playing was solid, phrasing and shaping of the elements were all there, but he could have done more to impress. His fate now lies with the jury.

Ilya Shmukler had to follow young Lim (nice that he gave a congratulatory embrace to Lim before going onstage). The final d minor concerto of the competition and by then the orchestra was probably fatigued by it. Ilya did them no favors as well, he played well enough but not enough to stand out, as Choni gave a stronger rendition. Missed notes in transparent Mozart also plagued his playing. If he doesn't advance I believe it will only help Clayton.

Estonia 190 #6209
Working on:
Liszt: Chasse Neige
B
Brendan Online Content OP
5000 Post Club Member
OP Online Content
5000 Post Club Member
B
Stephenson - Much improved from his solo round! I was actually wondering whether he had the finger technique to bring this across or not, but he delivered. It had charm elegance, and was in sync with the orchestra (aside from one missed entrance in the third movement, which he caught). The only thing that I didn't like was that he did none of the eingangs and it was the equivalent of awkward conversational silence. The first two movements were the best.

Shin - Probably the best D minor, or at least tied with Choni for the best. Super confident, dramatic, the right tone quality, etc. He again comes across as a serious musician with the technical skills and musical intelligence to make his interpretations work.

Lim - The kid's going to win a prize, or possibly the whole thing. There's no debating it at this point; he hasn't faltered in any of his rounds, has played the hardest programs and concerti (there's a reason why no one plays this concerto, it's crazy difficult), and seems to only get better as he goes. I really gotta give it to the woodwinds in this performance, especially the flutist. She was amazing and kept up with his tempo in the finale (which, to be fair was more on the Allegro assai/vivace side than an elegant Allegro 6/8).

Shmukler - Had the thankless job of not only playing after Lim but also playing the last D minor. In both categories, it didn't reflect well. He did fine in spite of some smudges, but I'm not sure if it's enough to pass him. His solo program was on a higher level.

Here's my educated guess:

Kamei
Lim
Choni
Geniushene
Stephenson
Tadokoro/Shin

3000 Post Club Member
3000 Post Club Member
I don't quite get the notion that Clayton doesn't "have fingers" and is primarily a chordal pianist. He has fine technique across the board! I'm seeing, but not hearing a great deal of tension in most of the Koreans, which is dangerous because that tension is being "rewarded" and will potentially come back to bite them later in life with physical problems.

Is there some new "super urtext" version of K. 467 that was being followed? You used to hear exactly the same "little cadenzas" from everybody who ever played/recorded this. laugh

I do really admire Lim. And I wouldn't rule out Shmukler from the finals, there's just something about his playing that juries tend to like.

WhoDwaldi
Howard (by Kawai) 5' 10"
3000 Post Club Member
3000 Post Club Member
Pretty good assessment/review, I think, agreeing with consensus here. smile

https://www.onstagentx.com/cliburn/...lEeRxQSbG11GOrGaXid1X39Z6mNXD3JVkQ5fuku4

WhoDwaldi
Howard (by Kawai) 5' 10"
B
Brendan Online Content OP
5000 Post Club Member
OP Online Content
5000 Post Club Member
B
Originally Posted by WhoDwaldi
I don't quite get the notion that Clayton doesn't "have fingers" and is primarily a chordal pianist. He has fine technique across the board! I'm seeing, but not hearing a great deal of tension in most of the Koreans, which is dangerous because that tension is being "rewarded" and will potentially come back to bite them later in life with physical problems.

Is there some new "super urtext" version of K. 467 that was being followed? You used to hear exactly the same "little cadenzas" from everybody who ever played/recorded this. laugh

I do really admire Lim. And I wouldn't rule out Shmukler from the finals, there's just something about his playing that juries tend to like.

I felt there were some control issues in the Waldstein and the first movement of Gargoyles in particular. Maybe it's more that his finger technique is less reliable after a certain tempo? He chose more moderate tempi for the Mozart last night and it was perfectly under control. Of course, that's not possible in the last movement of the Rachmaninoff, so...I might be wrong, but as I've said I think he's good to for the finals.

3000 Post Club Member
3000 Post Club Member
My sense having been there laugh is that CS gets tangled up occasionally and unpredictably in finger passages during nervy conditions, but powers on through. A "not my fault, I practiced" thing. grin

WhoDwaldi
Howard (by Kawai) 5' 10"
V
V
I haven't been able to catch most of this live but have they always been doing this Steinway shilling? Kind of disappointing.

B
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
B
Originally Posted by vers la flan
I haven't been able to catch most of this live but have they always been doing this Steinway shilling? Kind of disappointing.

Well they are a sponsor. What do you expect? These things don’t pay for themselves.

500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
If only Mason & Hamlin could be a sponsor. This is in the USA after all. I would just love to hear more elite pianists play on M&H's!

Soli Chopin gloria
V
V
I suppose it’s fair not to expect anything else considering Steinway’s history of strong arm business tactics, but the reason it’s disappointing to me is that the competition did previously offer a selection of other pianos.

B
B
My choice for the Finals:
Clayton Stephenson
Kamei
Lim
Todakoro
Choni
Shin
Kim or Anna

Estonia 190 #6209
Working on:
Liszt: Chasse Neige
P
P
My choice for the Finals (in rough order of preference) -
Kamei , Lim - both are a notch above everyone (which most people seem to agree on)
Kim - liked his playing a lot since the 2017 competition, hoping he advances this time
Tadokoro - not a huge fan of his prelim, but he definitely grew on me in later stages!
Geniushene - like her style a lot, very elegant playing
Sun - semis wasn’t his best, but overall love his playing. Hoping he gets a chance this time in the finals!

Could go either way -
Park - liked his Prokofiev, Schumann was meh but overall I like his style.
Shin - did well overall, not really any strong feelings to be honest.
Khandoni - ditto Shin
Choni - ditto Khandoni

Not as impressed by their playing -
Shmukler - good pianist, very solid facility, but I felt his playing was a little monotonic (especially dynamics). Maybe others heard differently though idk. Felt the same way in 2017 too.
Stephenson - good pianist, but to be honest, his playing did not sound like it was on the same level as the other competitors (especially technically) and wasn’t really convincing.

Will be interesting to see what the jury decides

Last edited by pianoforever2080; 06/12/22 11:15 PM.
P
P
Finalists:

Choni
Geniushena
Khandohi
Lim
Shmukler
Stephenson

Last edited by Piano Doug; 06/12/22 11:45 PM.
A
A
Pretty surprised by these choices. Kamei and Honggi Kim in particular seemed deserving. I didn't think Shmukler or Stephenson were on the same level.

Last edited by adoser; 06/12/22 11:49 PM.
V
V
Huh. Well I guess Kamei is this competition’s (Dasol Kim, Frederic Chiu, Ivo Pogorelich…)

Not bad company, frankly.

B
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
B
I am surprised by Stephenson, Shmukler, and Khandohi.

Page 7 of 14 1 2 5 6 7 8 9 13 14

Moderated by  Brendan, Kreisler 

Link Copied to Clipboard
(ad)
Best of Piano Buyer
Piano Buyer - Read the Articles, Explore the website
(ad)
PianoDisc

PianoDisc
(ad)
Faust Harrison Pianos
Faust Harrison 100+ Steinway pianos
(ad)
Mason & Hamlin Pianos
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Dissonant overtones when mute rail is engaged
by MattH22 - 08/11/22 08:36 PM
Your piano teacher
by Dscally - 08/11/22 07:25 PM
To RD-2000 owners
by PianoStartsAt33 - 08/11/22 07:18 PM
Buying a Yamaha U1?
by ada d. - 08/11/22 05:31 PM
What does a bouncy key action mean?
by Raquel Cruz - 08/11/22 04:38 PM
Download Sheet Music
Virtual Sheet Music - Classical Sheet Music Downloads
What's Hot!!
FREE June Newsletter is Here!
--------------------
Forums RULES, Terms of Service & HELP
(updated 06/06/2022)
-------------------
Music Store Going Out of Business Sale!
---------------------
Mr. PianoWorld's Original Composition
---------------------
Sell Your Piano on our world famous Piano Forums!
---------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
-------------------
ADVERTISE on Piano World
Forum Statistics
Forums43
Topics214,349
Posts3,215,587
Members106,065
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010
Please Support Our Advertisers

Faust Harrison 100+ Steinways

Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver

Best of Piano Buyer

PianoTeq Bechstein
Visit our online store for gifts for music lovers

Virtual Sheet Music - Classical Sheet Music Downloads

Help keep the forums up and running with a donation, any amount is appreciated!
Or by becoming a Subscribing member! Thank-you.
Donate   Subscribe

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations | Pianos For Sale | Sell Your Piano |

Advertise on Piano World
| Subscribe | Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map | Free Newsletter | MapleStreetMusicShop.com - Our store in Cornish Maine

© copyright 1997 - 2022 Piano World ® all rights reserved
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission