2022 our 25th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

Shop our online store for music lovers
SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Pianoteq
Steinway Spiro Layering
(ad)
Piano Life Saver - Dampp Chaser
Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver
(ad)
Wessell Nickel & Gross
PianoForAll
Who's Online Now
85 members (Aaron McKeon, Bill88, 36251, AJB, anotherscott, babooshka, Abdol, Animisha, 14 invisible), 661 guests, and 274 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
(ad)
Estonia Pianos
Estonia Pianos
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 6 of 14 1 2 4 5 6 7 8 13 14
B
B
Four Mozart Concerti: 2 d minor, one "Jeunehomme" and one B flat, the final concerto Wolfie wrote.

Kim was ok, a rather pedestrian account. The tempo was a little draggy. The playing was decent, but did not come alive for me.

Marcel! What a gem! He was engaged from start to finish, semi conducting on his own at times. Lyrical, beautiful Mozart sounds. Loved his ornaments, very tasteful. Made the 2nd movement, which can be a rather sparse affair, come alive with such grace. The rondo really sparkled. And his rubato was very subtle and tasteful as well.

Kahndohi played the "Jeunehomme". He looked way too serious and his playing kinda reflected that. Not a whole lot of charm in his reading. And a heavy action, which only showcased the Steinway's shortcomings. Not "Mozartean" at all.

Choni was revelatory in his d minor reading. Dramatic, urgent, a brisk tempo in the 1st movement. A great Mozartean feel which looked ahead to Beethoven. And the Ludwig cadenzas were dispatched with authority and fire. A winning performance. Handsome, blonde . . . and Ukrainian. Guess who will make the finals?

Estonia 190 #6209
Working on:
Liszt: Chasse Neige
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
I predict the mustache will take the gold.

Soli Chopin gloria
S
3000 Post Club Member
Online Content
3000 Post Club Member
S
I think we should tame a little the usage of superlatives. I have heard some good pianists, but so far, more technically (super)proficient than musically inventive.

Blüthner model 6
B
Brendan Offline OP
5000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
5000 Post Club Member
B
2nd half of last night:

Khandohi - a little too serious/aggressive for the piece, particularly in the first two movements. It's still very much in the early Mozart stile galant and not as dramatic as some of his later concerti, and there are so many things you can do with the piece to keep it light and elegant. He was kind of similar to Kim in that he didn't damage his standing but also didn't advance it in light of the other performers. The last movement was super fast and the orchestra could hardly keep up with him, but he at last had a lighter articulation than the previous movements.

Choni - great! He brought the drama and intensity to the piece that Kim lacked without sacrificing tone quality and character. He comes across as a serious/conscientious musician and like Marcel, he's getting better with each round. Personally I'd say Marcel had a slight edge this round purely on terms of personal taste (his finale was unbeatable because of its creativity), but I'd be perfectly happy with Choni too.

3000 Post Club Member
3000 Post Club Member
I thought one of the competitors, I'm too nice to say which, should have been beaten over the head with a Schenkerian analysis book, and I don't believe in violence or even totally buy Schenker's theories. laugh I kept screaming, "That's not where the phrase goes!" at the screen. If the intuition is bad, it needs intellectualization!

Oh, well.

That said, I detest the patronizing attitude that some newspaper critics have about, "these young people with little musical maturity." So what! That's what you get get with a competition. As Barenboim used to say of himself, they will play things differently, later.

WhoDwaldi
Howard (by Kawai) 5' 10"
W
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
W
My listening experience has not included many of these selections so I've enjoyed hearing them. At the moment listening to Shin's interpretation of Schumann's Humoreske. Many nice parts within a very diverse terrain in the piece. Loved Kamai and his dynamic recital but also Stephenson. Still not a Prokofiev fan but overall the listening is a pleasure.

[Linked Image]
Wise as in learner
Buff as in Colorado Buffalo
V
V
For me, there's Lim and Kamei, and then everyone else. At this point, I wouldn't be disappointed if they shared the top prize.

B
B
After Lim's finger busting rendition of the complete Liszt Transcendental Etudes, Shmuckler counterpunches with a bravura Brahms Handel Variations and Proko #8. At this point, stamina, both physical and emotional can takes it toll after days of playing. But both acquitted themselves well.

Playing a complete Transcendental Etudes is a real marathon. Daniil Trifonov immediately comes to mind, and Lim was up to the challenge. Granted not all the etudes are musically satisfying individually but in a live recital the impact is staggering, especially on a technical level. Still there were moments of repose and graceful interpretation and tonal colors exhibited in "Paysage" and "Harmonies du Soir". At only 18, Lim exhibits a nice maturity in his playing. His cycle created a satisfying arc, ending with a chilling "Chasse Neige" with (tremolos to die for).

Shmuckler's virtuosity is never in doubt. The Brahms is more transparent than Liszt so any errors can show up immediately, but not enough to detract from the overall impact of his playing. His touch continues to be on the aggressive side and that works especially well in the Prokofiev. Still, I enjoyed his Brahms playing.

Estonia 190 #6209
Working on:
B
Brendan Offline OP
5000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
5000 Post Club Member
B
Lim - tied with Kamei with the biggest flex of the competition, although I'd give the edge to Kamei for variety of programming. It's really up to you to decide whether you loved or hated his approach or if sitting through all of the Transcendental Etudes is your thing or not (I vacillated back and forth), but there's no denying that he can play anything under pressure at an insanely high level. Like Kamei, you're probably not going to hear these pieces played better in a live concert, or possibly even on a recording. Feux Follets was unreal (and FUN), but Vision, Wilde Jagd, and Harmonies du Soir lacked nuance (it's not "fff" the whole time). Chasse neige was a wonderful closer, with perfect tremolos as BeeZee said. He was there to win, started playing before the audience finished clapping at his entrance, and took no prisoners the whole time. So yeah, I think he'll be in the finals as there's a 0% chance of things going wrong in his Mozart.

Shmukler - he continues to surprise me. I had written him off after the first round (everything loud and fast), then he made a big turnaround with his quarterfinals Debussy, and how here he is playing elegant, thoughtful, and shapely Brahms (in spite of a few slips and some struggles here and there, but it's such a hard piece). The Prokofiev was great - perfect atmosphere for the first movement and a rock solid tempo in the finale with no faking on the last page! It's rare to hear it without things falling apart at the end. Whether he advances will depend on his concerto as well as the other contestants, but I'm liking him a lot more now than I initially did.

P
P
Prok 8 sure is popular this year, lol

P
P
I just listened to Lim playing the Transcendental Etudes. Very impressive yet, to me, not completely satisfying. There’s no denying the powerful impact of a performance of the whole set and there were standout moments. As Brendan mentioned, Feux Follets was a fun romp, but there were too many moments in the set where the display of awesome technique seemed the aesthetic conception.

It was continuously frustrating to me that he kept losing the line, especially when making nuanced diminuendos while still keeping the accompanying figurations at a forte level and above. This was especially evident when the melody passed into the left hand, or when both hands had dense chords or passagework. There was great inconsistency in his ability to float the line buoyantly above the rest. Voicing, especially between the hands but also within them, was not well conceptualized and/or executed.

Is it easy to do this with the Etudes? Nope. Would I be happy to play them exactly as he did in such a high-pressured situation? Yes!!! Is he an incredibly talented and accomplished pianist? Absolutely!! Was this an unbelievable performance for someone as young as he? You bet! It will be interesting to hear him as he matures.

P
P
Shmukler - Wow! First-rate Brahms and the Prokofiev Eight Sonata was the best I’ve heard. In both pieces he demonstrated tremendous dynamic control. The kaleidoscopic triads in the Prokoviev were sensational and the way he built to an intense finale in the third movement was thrilling. He demonstrated an amazing musical mind, formidable technique, and a great ear.

B
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
B
I like Kamei’s F major concerto. geniushene had a lot of audible mistakes in the last movment of 503. I couldn’t br\ing myself to listen to another d minor.

B
Brendan Offline OP
5000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
5000 Post Club Member
B
I agree that #20 is threadbare at this point. The only thing someone could do would be to either improv (see below) or use a contemporary cadenza by Boulez or Schnittke (neither exist, but you get the idea).

Sun - Harsh and pushed throughout, although I'll concede that it might be the mics. The last movement was pretty heavy, but he overall did better than his solo round. I think he's about 50/50 to pass on.

Kamei - Elegant, well-shaped, and beautiful. I felt like was acting for the camera in a few places in terms of how much he was looking at the orchestra, but it at least got the desired collaborative effect. This concerto is pretty hard on for the woodwinds (the second movement is almost a triple concerto for flute, bassoon, and piano) and the last movement has a few crazy fugato sections, so the flaws of the FWSO unfortunately were on full display in a few places (mostly intonation in the winds and strings). It's not Kamei's fault, and he handled it well, but I don't think they were expecting to play this concerto.

Park - Finally some new cadenzas! I had a feeling that he would play his own after saying that he was also interested in composition, and they were very clever and added a lot to his performance. Strangely, he omitted the eingang in the third movement, and coupled with a few obvious slips it was the wasn't his strongest showing. The first two movements were very direct, almost as if he wanted to make a point about un-Romanticizing the piece. Either you'll love it or hate it. For me, it helped me hear some passages with fresh ears. I think he'll have to really bring it in his solo round to get back into consideration.

Geniushene - Obviously not her first rodeo, and congrats to her for playing so well in such a stressful situation when pregnant (I also noticed that her wrists were taped up; the physical fatigue of this competition is insane). She knows how to play with orchestra and it shows. She had great collaboration with the ensemble, added some lovely ornaments to the finale, and kept things within range as far as tone quality goes (some people play this with a Beethoven sound and treat it like a proto Emperor Concerto). Yes, there were a few smudges in the last movement, but it was a strong performance overall. She's still in the running.

My ranking based purely on the concerti:

Tadokoro > Choni > Kamei > Geniushene > everyone else.

B
B
The winning Mozartean last night was Kamei, who demonstrated an elegance and lyricism and grace coupled with a great communication with the orchestra in the F major. As Brendan noted, the 2nd movement in particular drew a tight conversation with the woodwinds and kamei responded in true chamber music style. And yes at times it was the orchestra who faltered occasionally, not the soloist. The contrapuntal passages in the final movement was their chance to shine, they did well, but I do miss a more tightly scripted orchestra with such fugal writing. Kamei's playing was enjoyable throughout.

Park had nice moments throughout his rendering of the d minor. As noted, his own cadenzas stood out from the rest. To me the rest felt pretty straightforward Mozart, satisfying but pretty safe.

Anna brought power and vigor to the most symphonic of the Mozart concerti. I would have liked more freedom in exploring the ornamental areas, Wolfie gives one that opportunity and she could have added more. Especially in the 2nd movement. But overall it was a good performance and she understood the architectural aura of the piece. The Steinway's power was in great balance with the orchestra in this instance.

So far for me, the candidates to advance would be: Choni, Kamei, Lim, Marcel. Have yet to hear Stephenson's Mozart, but he's still on the cusp. Anna is still in the mix, but she has to play her final recital. Shmuckler is also still a viable candidate. I really hope Tadokoro (Marcel) advances. Would like to hear his Beethoven No. 1 and a gang busters Proko 3.

Estonia 190 #6209
Working on:
B
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
B
How many go through to the final? I see a lot of Rach 3 out there and Beethoven 1s and 3s. It makes for boring competition to me. I wish there was some way there was a pool of like 10 concertos that people had to prepare and then when you get selected past the prelims they draw out of a hat the 3 you have to play should you advance. Too many Mozart d minors and Rach 3s.

K
K
With regards to Khandohi's concerto -- I'm not sure how much of the heaviness was or wasn't his fault. It was already well established by the orchestra in both the first two movements long before he even entered.

B
B
Two semifinal recitals this afternoon.
Honggi Kim played Rach's Opus 23 10 preludes, Adam's "China Gate" which segued directly into the Barber sonata. His Rach was typical competition level, but with accidentals sprinkled throughout. Particularly apparent in the famous g minor, although it was played appropriately militaristic. But overall he didn't grab my attention. The Barber was its usual dissonant self, with a propulsive fugal finish. Still not convincing to my ears. And with a less than stellar Mozart d minor, I fear he's out.

Marcel Tadokoro on the other hand continues to impress. Such inventive programming, starting with Rameau "Le Rappel de Oiseaux" with chirpy bird motifs. His playing is sunny and fun, just like his personality. Next up were Scriabin Etudes, beautifully executed and technically accomplished. Rach's Corelli Variations followed. Again, a solid performance, taking his time to let Rach's spin on the Corelli slowly unravel to Rachian glory. Shades of the Paganini Rhapsody were touched upon. Marcel allowed the final octave chord in his left hand to fully diminish and immediately began the Debussy Nocturne. Fine playing, iridescent colors abounded. His playing was so captivating it elicited spontaneous applause from the audience -- the only one to occur in any of the semifinal recitals. I'm sure the jury took note.
Not yet done, Marcel finished with the Brahms/Paganini Variations Book 1 and 2. A virtuoso display with some dropped notes, but who's counting at this pace? The overall conception was not diminished. This is the 3rd iteration of these variations and the most convincing to me. With Marcel's wonderful read on the 27th Mozart concerto he better advance to the Finals.

Estonia 190 #6209
Working on:
Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member
Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by boo1234
How many go through to the final? I see a lot of Rach 3 out there and Beethoven 1s and 3s. It makes for boring competition to me. I wish there was some way there was a pool of like 10 concertos that people had to prepare and then when you get selected past the prelims they draw out of a hat the 3 you have to play should you advance. Too many Mozart d minors and Rach 3s.
The repertoire requirements for the competition are already huge. It's not realistic to expect participants to have ten concerti ready and doubly inappropriate for the competition to select those concerti. The three they have to prepare are already more than many or even most competitions. I think fairness to the competitors is more important than putting more variety in the recitals and concerto performances.

B
Brendan Offline OP
5000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
5000 Post Club Member
B
Kim - An overall solid recital. The Rachmaninoff had the right amount of contrast and control (perhaps too much at times), and he's comfortable onstage and playing at a high level. Is it enough to get through? I think that of the three previous semifinalists, he's probably 2nd in the running after Shmukler. The Adams and Barber were fantastic and he totally nailed the fugue, bringing out the jazz characteristics. I originally thought that he avoided big pieces because he's better at smaller forms, but he was able to bring a good sense of structure to the Barber (especially its disparate first movement). I'm not sure how much of a new perspective he brings to music-making, but he's a serious musician and a great player.

Tadokoro - Beautiful, varied program. It's great to hear Rameau and Scriabin Etudes live (he's played early French music every round and it has always been impressive). The Rach is on the same level as Schumann's Humoreske for me - not a great piece, awkward, and musically unsatisfying, but he brought command to it. Both books Brahms Pag are a formidable task, and he was under a lot of strain, but he got through it and nailed some of the famously difficult variations in Book 2. I think he'll pass.

Page 6 of 14 1 2 4 5 6 7 8 13 14

Moderated by  Brendan, Kreisler 

Link Copied to Clipboard
(ad)
Best of Piano Buyer
Piano Buyer - Read the Articles, Explore the website
(ad)
PianoDisc

PianoDisc
(ad)
Faust Harrison Pianos
Faust Harrison 100+ Steinway pianos
(ad)
Mason & Hamlin Pianos
New Topics - Multiple Forums
What happened to ONKYO
by Abdol - 08/17/22 09:23 AM
Shiedmayer Grands?
by russmagi - 08/17/22 09:16 AM
Which would you recommend and why - K8, K20 or U3?
by plumberpw - 08/17/22 08:00 AM
C2X Silent (SH2)?
by Jadam - 08/17/22 12:25 AM
Download Sheet Music
Virtual Sheet Music - Classical Sheet Music Downloads
What's Hot!!
FREE June Newsletter is Here!
--------------------
Forums RULES, Terms of Service & HELP
(updated 06/06/2022)
-------------------
Music Store Going Out of Business Sale!
---------------------
Mr. PianoWorld's Original Composition
---------------------
Sell Your Piano on our world famous Piano Forums!
---------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
-------------------
ADVERTISE on Piano World
Forum Statistics
Forums43
Topics214,433
Posts3,216,970
Members106,103
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010
Please Support Our Advertisers

Faust Harrison 100+ Steinways

Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver

Best of Piano Buyer

PianoTeq Bechstein
Visit our online store for gifts for music lovers

Virtual Sheet Music - Classical Sheet Music Downloads

Help keep the forums up and running with a donation, any amount is appreciated!
Or by becoming a Subscribing member! Thank-you.
Donate   Subscribe

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations | Pianos For Sale | Sell Your Piano |

Advertise on Piano World
| Subscribe | Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map | Free Newsletter | MapleStreetMusicShop.com - Our store in Cornish Maine

© copyright 1997 - 2022 Piano World ® all rights reserved
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission