2022 our 25th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

Shop our online store for music lovers
SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Pianoteq
Steinway Spiro Layering
(ad)
Piano Life Saver - Dampp Chaser
Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver
(ad)
Wessell Nickel & Gross
PianoForAll
Who's Online Now
62 members (BravoRomeo, antune, babooshka, anotherscott, 0day, 36251, bobrunyan, 15 invisible), 1,057 guests, and 264 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
(ad)
Estonia Pianos
Estonia Pianos
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 3 of 3 1 2 3
G
7000 Post Club Member
7000 Post Club Member
G
Originally Posted by ShiroKuro
I'm trying to avoid saying exactly what I'm doing (not sure why!) but the point is, score on the iPad (plus paper scores as needed) leaning on the music rack, access to the laptop, the keyboard and track pad on the laptop (I don't need a mouse) and access to the webcam so that web cam is picking up me, not my bellybutton.

🤔🤔

Probably gonna just default to "Zoom piano lessons!"

Bosendorfer D214VC ENPro
Past: Yamaha P-85, P-105, CP50, Kawai MP11, Kawai NV-10
S
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
S
I do not have an Apple laptop, but thanks.

Sgisela, I have my sheet music on an iPad. Still need a laptop.

smile

I would close the fly lid, use something like the cork pad on top of the lid to hold the computer, and use an adjustable tablet stand (like this one: https://www.amazon.com/Tablet-Stand-Adjustable-Lamicall-Reader/dp/B01DBV1OKY?th=1 ) for the music. Everything’s on the lid/fly lid so you’re not stressing out the music desk with weight it wasn’t intended to bear, and you also have more room on the lid/fly lid.

L
1000 Post Club Member
Online Content
1000 Post Club Member
L
How about a camera you clip on the stand problem solved?

I have this camera

It works really well both Audio and Video and will be much better than the latop. For $20 it is a no brainer

Last edited by Learux; 05/27/22 08:38 PM.

When you play, never mind who listens to you. R.Schumann.

Casio GP-400

2006 August Förster 215
S
2000 Post Club Member
Online Content
2000 Post Club Member
S
Or try a 'tablet' instead of a laptop.

7000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
7000 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by Gombessa
Probably gonna just default to "Zoom piano lessons!"

Close enough!

Sgisela, that would be up too high for me.

Learux, I need to be able to see the laptop screen as well.

SouthPark, I have a tablet, also need a laptop.

smile

Started piano June 1999.
Proud owner of a Yamaha C2

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
- In front of you would be preferable? (Or not to the side all the way?
- Easy to put away
- Looks somewhat nice (well not ugly)
- Something so it doesn’t scratch
- Doesn’t heat the piano finish

Is this correct?

S
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
S
ShiroKuro, I was envisioning something like this (apologies that the photo is sideways, I couldn’t figure out how to rotate it once it uploaded this way).

[Linked Image]

If you get the right tablet holder (which the one in the photo is not) the bottom of the ipad will be flush with the lid. I did the measurements, and this would be just 1.5” higher (on my piano) than if it were to sit straight on the music desk, which is not much of a difference and works just fine for me to read music. All I could find to put the laptop on was a lazy Susan, so it’s a bit higher here than it would need to be. But I think you could adjust it forward/back (as well as the tilt of the screen) so that the height difference relative to sitting on the side of the music desk is not significant for your purposes. I will also say that I’m a very vertically challenged person, and a setup like this would not feel like it’s too high for me, so I have a hard time imagining that it’s too high for most people (who will be less vertically challenged than I am).
I think something along the lines of this setup is more straightforward (and less stressful to the piano/music desk) than trying to get all that hardware +/- books securely positioned on the music desk. But this is going to be my last post on the subject, as it seems you are quite determined to get everything on the music desk and I don’t have anything to add as to how that would be accomplished.

7000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
7000 Post Club Member
Sgisela, thanks for the photo! Hmm, you are probably right, that’s not that high, I would just need to get something for the iPad.

That would be better than buying a $50-100 table or shelf!

Started piano June 1999.

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
N
N
How about something like this…

https://www.amazon.com/MagicHold-Mo...y=9031608&hvtargid=pla-890772838010#

you could clamp it to the music desk. You could use some cloth or rubber to protect

E
Silver Subscriber
Silver Subscriber
E
Lots of good suggestions; here's another.

https://smile.amazon.com/gp/product/B001BBNROI/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_search_asin_title?ie=UTF8&psc=1

I found this height-adjustable laptop cart really helpful. It doesn't take up much space, comes in wood or matte gray finishes. I put it to the right (treble) of the piano so (if using Zoom) gives good visibility of entire keyboard and hands; wheels make it easy to move aside, even in a closet, for storage. If recording, I attach a remote mic or Zoom recorder on a tripod, through the USB slot, for better sound quality. This way, nothing is attached to or heating up the piano.

Working on: Schumann, Faschingsschwank aus Wien Op. 26; Mozart Piano Sonata No. 10 in C major, K. 330; Grieg, 25 Norwegian Folk Songs and Dances, 0p. 17 (selections)
W
4000 Post Club Member
4000 Post Club Member
W
[Linked Image]

Imagine a laptop sitting there, facing the person at the piano. Then the person would still have access to the music rack and whatever might be there.

That's good solution. Need to check the laptop is properly supported, use pads or something if necessary. My laptop has various ventilation holes underneath, presumably for good reason.

Ian Russell
Schiedmayer & Soehne, 1925 Model 14, 140cm
Ibach, 1905 F-IV, 235cm
Gold Subscriber
Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member
Gold Subscriber
Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member
Slightly OT, but nevertheless a related question:

If a laptop has ventilation holes on the bottom, can it really be used "on one's lap"? Would not whatever clothing one is wearing obstruct the ventilation?

My laptop which is nearing five years old and still going strong (knocking firmly on wood!) has no fan and no ventilation. I use it literally as a laptop, i.e., on my lap and it never gets warm.

Regards,

BruceD
- - - - -
Estonia 190
G
7000 Post Club Member
7000 Post Club Member
G
Bruce, all things in moderation. You probably won't fully obstruct all the vents all the time when on your lap. Modern systems will also throttle when on battery or when loads are light (or when temperatures start to rise).

But if you are maxing out the CPU with rendering or high performance gaming, your lap is forfeit even if the vents are completely unblocked.

Bosendorfer D214VC ENPro
Past: Yamaha P-85, P-105, CP50, Kawai MP11, Kawai NV-10
7000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
7000 Post Club Member
If a laptop has ventilation holes on the bottom, can it really be used "on one's lap"? Would not whatever clothing one is wearing obstruct the ventilation?

I believe that when a laptop is on a hard (solid) surface, those vents are meaningful (useful? functional?) because there is a space created by the vents. But if you put the laptop on fabric or something else soft and/or flexible, it's more likely that the space created by the vent is filled by the soft material.

Whether or not this becomes a problem depends on the laptop. If you can feel your laptop and it's never hot on the top or bottom, then I would say you don't have anything to worry about. I think some laptops are more prone to overheating and others not.

My laptop doesn't always run hot, but sometimes it gets hotter than other times, so it's worth it to me to make sure that the vents aren't blocked (so I never use it on anything other than a hard, solid surface). And also since I don't want to set something on my piano which might get hot, I decided I would only put the laptop on the computer with some kind of barrier to protect the piano from any possibility of heat.

An ounce of prevention is worth a pound of cure, as they say!

Started piano June 1999.

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
S
2000 Post Club Member
Online Content
2000 Post Club Member
S
As long as the laptop stays put, then that will be great. This probably includes making sure that tablets stay put as well - as in not accidentally falling, or scraping or damaging etc the piano. That's if one wants to keep the piano in good shape all the time. Otherwise, moving laptops and things like that about is accident waiting to happen, and could end in tears. But that's only if there is any concern about getting the piano scraped/scratched etc. Although, damages can usually be fixed if there is a need for it. Otherwise - marks etc could be seen to add character. Depends on situation I guess.

Tog Offline
Hi All,

Don't overthink this!

A simple lap-tray used for TV dinners (remember those?) that has a melamine top and a 'beanbag' underside (usually filled with polystyrene beads) will provide a hard surface to mount your laptop on without interfering with its ventilation, will be heat resistant and the soft underside will mould to whichever surface it's placed upon and probably cost under $10 from your local kitchenware store to boot!

Kind regards,

Tog

Last edited by Tog; 05/29/22 07:15 AM.

Standard: Absolute beginner. Currently butchering Bach BWV846!
Kit: Kawai MP11SE; Focal Alpha 80 monitors (pair); the original REL 'Storm' Sub-woofer from the early 1990's ( manufactured by BK Electronics Ltd on behalf of REL); Roland Z-Stand; generic studio style speaker stands; HP Grado SR60
Page 3 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  Ken Knapp, Piano World 

Link Copied to Clipboard
(ad)
Best of Piano Buyer
Piano Buyer - Read the Articles, Explore the website
(ad)
PianoDisc

PianoDisc
(ad)
Faust Harrison Pianos
Faust Harrison 100+ Steinway pianos
(ad)
Mason & Hamlin Pianos
New Topics - Multiple Forums
How are you learning?
by bennevis - 08/13/22 09:41 AM
Here am and a little help
by Mayopapayo - 08/13/22 07:14 AM
Inspiration
by Pingvin - 08/13/22 06:08 AM
New GSI Pianos
by stamkorg - 08/13/22 06:04 AM
Download Sheet Music
Virtual Sheet Music - Classical Sheet Music Downloads
What's Hot!!
FREE June Newsletter is Here!
--------------------
Forums RULES, Terms of Service & HELP
(updated 06/06/2022)
-------------------
Music Store Going Out of Business Sale!
---------------------
Mr. PianoWorld's Original Composition
---------------------
Sell Your Piano on our world famous Piano Forums!
---------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
-------------------
ADVERTISE on Piano World
Forum Statistics
Forums43
Topics214,375
Posts3,215,957
Members106,077
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010
Please Support Our Advertisers

Faust Harrison 100+ Steinways

Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver

Best of Piano Buyer

PianoTeq Bechstein
Visit our online store for gifts for music lovers

Virtual Sheet Music - Classical Sheet Music Downloads

Help keep the forums up and running with a donation, any amount is appreciated!
Or by becoming a Subscribing member! Thank-you.
Donate   Subscribe

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations | Pianos For Sale | Sell Your Piano |

Advertise on Piano World
| Subscribe | Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map | Free Newsletter | MapleStreetMusicShop.com - Our store in Cornish Maine

© copyright 1997 - 2022 Piano World ® all rights reserved
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission