2022 our 25th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Who's Online Now
60 members (BadSanta, danbot3, Animisha, Burkhard, aphexdisklavier, benkeys, 1200s, 12 invisible), 1,853 guests, and 263 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
G
gr0wchy Offline OP
OP Offline
G
Hello,

I'm exploring the trial version of Pianoteq on my laptop connected via USB to my Casio PX-S1000 digital piano.

Since my laptop has Bluetooth, I tried using the PX-S1000 as Bluetooth speakers for audio from Pianoteq. However, I discovered that both the built-in Casio key sounds AND the Pianoteq outputs would come from the piano's speakers. I only want to hear what's coming from Pianoteq.

Is it possible to mute the key sounds from the piano, and only hear Pianoteq's output (via my laptop's Bluetooth connection) from the piano speakers? If so, how? Or is there a better way to use the piano's speakers as Pianoteq's output?

Thank you.

C
4000 Post Club Member
4000 Post Club Member
C
Bluetooth audio always has some delay which is probably too much and will be distracting. But the PX-S1000 does have the Audio In jack at the back.

Anyway, to silence the Casio, you'll need to look for "local control" in the User's Manual and turn it off as by default the key presses on the piano "locally control" the internal sound.

G
gr0wchy Offline OP
OP Offline
G
Aha! Thank you so much for educating me on the key word "local control". I've found it in the PX-S1000 manual. And good point about using the audio in jack instead, I'll try that.

V
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
V
Btw, if you have buzz noise when using the "audio in" connection (some keyboards do, others don't, no idea what happens with the casio px1000...) that is a ground loop and this type of simple cable extension deals with it (there are many vendors of these gadgets, and I assume that not all of them are of the same quality, and every purchase is a lottery):

https://www.amazon.com/BESIGN-Ground-Isolator-Stereo-System/dp/B06XQYN77L

G
gr0wchy Offline OP
OP Offline
G
Wow, I had no idea there is a fix for the buzzing noise I sometimes hear. Thank you @vagfilm, super helpful!

I followed your link, and some of the comments for the product claims that the cable extension dampens the bass in the audio signal. Have you ever experienced something like this?

F
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
F
Originally Posted by vagfilm
Btw, if you have buzz noise when using the "audio in" connection (some keyboards do, others don't, no idea what happens with the casio px1000...) that is a ground loop and this type of simple cable extension deals with it (there are many vendors of these gadgets, and I assume that not all of them are of the same quality, and every purchase is a lottery):

I've had a ground loop as well in the past, and tried a ground loop isolator similar to the one you posted. It improved it, but didn't resolve it completely, and it had a noticeable impact on the sound quality. (Maybe a more expensive isolator would have done better.)

The problem is that the piano is connected to the computer by USB, and the computer is connected back to the piano by an audio cable. There's power in the USB-cable, which is causing the ground loop. There are two options to completely eliminate it:

- You can connect a MIDI-interface such as the Roland UM-ONE MK2 to the computer and then connect the piano using MIDI-cables. This eliminates power running from the piano to the computer and it normally eliminates the ground loop because of that. (Assuming this piano actually has MIDI-connectors; some don't, anymore.)
- You can also use an audio interface such as the MOTU M2. This has several advantages: the better audio interfaces have an in-built ground loop break; the sound quality is better than the single chip in the computer; they have their own volume control (should you want/need that).

Kawai Novus NV-10 | Pianoteq 7
(Kremsegg 1 & 2, Ruckers II, Karsten, KIVIR, Steinway D, K2)
Intel NUC J5040, 8GB, SSD | iPad Pro 12.9 2018 | forScore
E
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
E
Originally Posted by vagfilm

Originally Posted by gr0wchy
Wow, I had no idea there is a fix for the buzzing noise I sometimes hear. Thank you @vagfilm, super helpful!

I followed your link, and some of the comments for the product claims that the cable extension dampens the bass in the audio signal. Have you ever experienced something like this?

There is a USB isolator that wont affect the audio(except for removing the hum).

1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
There is also the possibility of reducing / eliminating ground-loop-audio buzz noise by having the involved devices ( DP and Audio-into-DP device[s] ) plugged into the same electrical outlet. At a minimum, there are two requirements: 1) a good-quality multi-outlet power strip plugged into 2) a properly wired electrical outlet.

If OP does not already have a gqmops, buying one may cost as much or more than a good quality usb isolator. Either way, if any of the electrical oulet[s] in question are not properly grounded, the noise may not go away for good no matter how many gadgets are thrown at it.

Last edited by drewr; 05/24/22 12:41 PM.

- Kawai MP7 and LSR308 monitors
- Roland HP-508
- DT770 Pro-80 and MDR-7506 phones
V
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
V
Originally Posted by gr0wchy

No because I run the pc output directly to good headphones (or cheap speakers from time to time), so was simply relaying second hand information. But I don't understand how it would reduce low frequencies and not high...

Falsch post stresses the main point: an audio interface solves the issue, while the isolator or the midi-usb cable may or may not work (or add latency). And there are many good and cheaper solutions than a Motu. On the other hand, the isolator is so inexpensive that it is worth a shot...

G
gr0wchy Offline OP
OP Offline
G
Thanks for all the advice and wisdom. smile I might try starting with the audio cable isolator and see how far that gets me before buying new hardware... After an initial search, I see that these things can get expensive!!

Link Copied to Clipboard
What's Hot!!
Piano World Has Been Sold!
--------------------
Forums RULES, Terms of Service & HELP
(updated 06/06/2022)
---------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
(ad)
(ad)
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Estonia 1990
by Iberia - 04/16/24 11:01 AM
Very Cheap Piano?
by Tweedpipe - 04/16/24 10:13 AM
Practical Meaning of SMP
by rneedle - 04/16/24 09:57 AM
Country style lessons
by Stephen_James - 04/16/24 06:04 AM
How Much to Sell For?
by TexasMom1 - 04/15/24 10:23 PM
Forum Statistics
Forums43
Topics223,390
Posts3,349,259
Members111,632
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations |

Advertise on Piano World
| Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map

Copyright © VerticalScope Inc. All Rights Reserved.
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission