2022 our 25th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Who's Online Now
60 members (Barry_Braksick, BadSanta, danbot3, Animisha, Burkhard, aphexdisklavier, benkeys, 10 invisible), 1,830 guests, and 279 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
#3217918 05/20/22 03:00 PM
M
Moo :) Offline OP
2000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
2000 Post Club Member
M
I taught myself this outside of lessons but wanted to play it to others

I had a few queries:

Does the articulation work with all the quavers detached and all the semiquaver legato?

Also, do you suggest to play the same on the repeat or do people normally make some changes when they repeat to make it more interesting ?

It sounds a bit heavy to me still but how to make it lighter ?

Thanks

Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member
Online Content
I think you should work on keeping the rhythm steadier. It's hard to find two measures in a row where the beat was remained steady. For now you probably need to play it more slowly to do that and to avoid wrong notes/hesitations. Use a metronome unless you can hear how unsteady it is on the video.

Changes aren't necessary on the repeat although I think this is a much more common practice today than 25 years ago. But you shouldn't be worried about things like that until you can play it with the correct notes and the rhythm steady.

M
2000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
2000 Post Club Member
M
Ok. I will try to practice slower with a metronome then. Thank you.

B
BDB Offline
B
I think the articulation is fine. You will probably gain more fluidity as you become more confident with the piece.

Semipro Tech
M
2000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
2000 Post Club Member
M
Thank you. I did try slower with the metronome.

I do tend to get this problem of getting faster in the middle of baroque pieces and losing the beat. It's difficult to spot when you learn pieces outside of lessons.

I was thinking also that even with a metronome you may be on the beat but not precisely even with the notes in between the beats.

Online Content
Originally Posted by Moo :)
Thank you. I did try slower with the metronome.

I do tend to get this problem of getting faster in the middle of baroque pieces and losing the beat. It's difficult to spot when you learn pieces outside of lessons.

I was thinking also that even with a metronome you may be on the beat but not precisely even with the notes in between the beats.
This was clearly MUCH steadier than your original recording, maybe 99% there. I suggest continued practice with the metronome for a while and possibly even slower since there were a few slight hesitations which I think were more related to not being 100% secure on the notes. And make sure to do most of the practicing on fairly short sections and not just from the beginning to the end. If you sense there was a slight hesitation or difficulty with a note practice those parts particularly. You could also try playing without the metronome, recording yourself, and seeing if you can tell how steady the rhythm.

You don't have to worry about what you mentioned in your last sentence.

500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
For me, I set my metronome then, I do a measure or two and remember the beat and after that I just tap my foot to the beat 🤷‍♂️

For notes in between beats I just try to match the ones that ARE on the beat. Don’t worry.

S
PW Gold Subscriber
PW Gold Subscriber
S
Originally Posted by probably blue
For me, I set my metronome then, I do a measure or two and remember the beat and after that I just tap my foot to the beat 🤷‍♂️

For notes in between beats I just try to match the ones that ARE on the beat. Don’t worry.

Eventually, you will need to use your foot for the pedal— so you might consider not using it to tap the beat. If you can’t internalize the beat, stick with the metronome.

Online Content
For me, I set my metronome then, I do a measure or and remember the beat and after that I just tap my foot to the beat 🤷‍♂️
That sounds more like using a metronome to set the tempo rather than to keep the rhythm steady. Someone who does not play with a steady rhythm could easily end up tapping their foot to what they play or not tapping their foot steadily. IOW if one is using the metronome to keep the rhythm steady one should generally keep it on while practicing.

500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by dogperson

Eventually, you will need to use your foot for the pedal— so you might consider not using it to tap the beat. If you can’t internalize the beat, stick with the metronome.
For easy pieces-forgot to write that. It’s not like I’m doing that for a hard pieces with pedal LOL.

Originally Posted by pianoloverus
For me, I set my metronome then, I do a measure or and remember the beat and after that I just tap my foot to the beat 🤷‍♂️
That sounds more like using a metronome to set the tempo rather than to keep the rhythm steady. Someone who does not play with a steady rhythm could easily end up tapping their foot to what they play or not tapping their foot steadily. IOW if one is using the metronome to keep the rhythm steady one should generally keep it on while practicing.
Ok? (Deleted)

Last edited by probably blue; 05/23/22 07:57 PM.
R
R
I used to play like that and people didn't like it. May I suggest that you try to sing it first, then play it. It should not sound like a typewriter, which is what happens when we imitate the
harpsichord on the piano. Your tempo and articulation are good.

M
2000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
2000 Post Club Member
M
Thank you for the comment. Your Beethoven bagatelle rubinsteinway was really excellent.

I however hate singing. It reminds me of abrsm aural test exams in childhood. One teacher tortured me with that test and I could never do it.

I am struggling with the baroque period a lot but having listened to many pianists play baroque pieces I think it's a common problem. I hear many people struggle with it so I think it's just something about picking more of this period pieces in lessons.

I have to rework on my last Scarlatti sonata again as I have this problem with getting out of tempo so I think I'll record it much slower and even.

I have done a lot of pieces with the two lines so the little prelude was just an experiment out of lessons so thank you for the tips.

I am trying to learn the three voice and have finished a sinfonia in lessons and am planning to learn another one in lessons.

Last edited by Moo :); 05/28/22 07:29 AM.

Link Copied to Clipboard
What's Hot!!
Piano World Has Been Sold!
--------------------
Forums RULES, Terms of Service & HELP
(updated 06/06/2022)
---------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
(ad)
(ad)
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Estonia 1990
by Iberia - 04/16/24 11:01 AM
Very Cheap Piano?
by Tweedpipe - 04/16/24 10:13 AM
Practical Meaning of SMP
by rneedle - 04/16/24 09:57 AM
Country style lessons
by Stephen_James - 04/16/24 06:04 AM
How Much to Sell For?
by TexasMom1 - 04/15/24 10:23 PM
Forum Statistics
Forums43
Topics223,390
Posts3,349,260
Members111,632
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations |

Advertise on Piano World
| Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map

Copyright © VerticalScope Inc. All Rights Reserved.
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission