2022 our 25th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

Shop our online store for music lovers
SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Pianoteq
Steinway Spiro Layering
(ad)
Piano Life Saver - Dampp Chaser
Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver
(ad)
Wessell Nickel & Gross
PianoForAll
Who's Online Now
42 members (accordeur, Damien PG, chocolatelover, blueviewlaguna., David B, gossipmore, dilyara, 10 invisible), 2,661 guests, and 344 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
(ad)
Estonia Pianos
Estonia Pianos
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
E
OP Offline
E
Hello all,

I’m a beginner player and is taking 1:1 classes. I currently have a Yamaha digital piano that I bought 10 years ago and I am thinking to get a real piano. I’m considering these two below, what do you guys think? Which one will you pick? Are the prices fair Or are there other models you all can recommend? Thank you in advance for all the feedbacks. 😊

1. Boston GB 156 from 2021 model (basically new) for $19,900
2. Yamaha GC1 Brand new for $20,000

B
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
B
I have tried them both and they are really great pianos. I do think the Boston might have the edge for me and it also has some really nice details and I think it’s places one step above the GC1 when it comes to features.

But I would pick the one that feels best for you to play on and the sound you like the best ☺️

500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
Hi Emeraldwynn, welcome to Piano World! 🥳

Make sure to play each piano for a while, go to dealers and look on Craigslist, Offerup, and whatever.
Basically make sure you like the tone and touch of the piano.

On this forum we VERY HEAVILY (I’m serious)
recommend having a independent piano tech inspect the piano, personally I did not but it was a risk.

Would the Boston be better because it’s basically new? Does the price go down that fast after buying new?

Are both of theses from a dealer? Piano dealers usually charge more but IMO they are usually more trustworthy than private.

Hope you get a good piano 🎹

E
OP Offline
E
Thanks!! Yes these two pianos are selling by the same dealer (shop) 😊

E
OP Offline
E
Originally Posted by Emeraldwynn
Hello all,

I’m a beginner player and is taking 1:1 classes. I currently have a Yamaha digital piano that I bought 10 years ago and I am thinking to get a real piano. I’m considering these two below, what do you guys think? Which one will you pick? Are the prices fair Or are there other models you all can recommend? Thank you in advance for all the feedbacks. 😊

Both pianos are selling by the same dealer shop:
1. Boston GB 156 (5’1 1/2, 156cm) from 2021 model (basically new) for $19,900
2. Yamaha GC1 (5’3, 161cm) Brand new for $20,000

S
3000 Post Club Member
3000 Post Club Member
S
For me the Boston will have more harmonic richness, with a deeper bass. The Yamaha will be lighter and clearer. But at the end it comes down to what you like best.

Blüthner model 6
Platinum Subscriber
Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member
Platinum Subscriber
I should add that the Boston 156 is NOT the same quality as the larger Boston pianos.

I prefer the Yamaha line musically - and more importantly - if there is a service issue. Yamaha is the company that all others compare themselves to in that regard. (That is a quote from PianoBuyer)

Your preference should guide you, but I personally would choose the GC-1.

(Full Disclosure - I chose to sell Yamaha 5 years ago and I love the way they support me as a dealer and my clients.)

Good luck,

Rich Galassini
Cunningham Piano Company
Visit one of our four locations
(215) 991-0834 direct
rich@cunninghampiano.com
Learn more about the Matchless Cunningham
7000 Post Club Member
7000 Post Club Member
I am also a fan of the Boston grands, but I agree, there's a big jump in going to the next one up in size (163) or the one above that (178).

I actually don't think I played the 156 very much... the 163 and 178 I have multiple models because I visited two different dealers who sell Boston, and they each had several instruments, but I didn't spend much time on the 156.

I have a Yamaha C2 (5'8", so very close to the Boston 178, like maybe only half an inch size difference? Someone else do that math).

Anyway, my piano was 20 y/o when I bought it, and at the time there were no used Bostons for me to consider. But I would have really struggled to choose if the Boston 178 was in within my budget. Because I loved the Bostons I played. But I also loved my Yamaha and of course now that I've had it for almost three years, I know exactly what a great instrument it is....

Back to your choices... The sound/tone/feel of the Boston and the Yamaha were totally different in my experience, so I would say, go and play them again and try to pay attention to how each sounds and feels.

This should give you your answer.

But if you still can't decide, buy the Yamaha. whome

Started piano June 1999.
Proud owner of a Yamaha C2

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

Platinum Supporter until November 30 2022

Platinum Supporter until November 30 2022
Originally Posted by Rich Galassini
I should add that the Boston 156 is NOT the same quality as the larger Boston pianos.
Rich - Just curious. The specs for the 156 seem identical to those of the 163 and 178, and all three models are built in Japan. Why would the quality differ? smile

Mason and Hamlin BB - 91640
Kawai K-500 Upright
Kawai CA-65 Digital
Korg SP-100 Stage Piano
YouTube channel - http://www.youtube.com/user/pianophilo
C
C
I’d go with Yamaha. But I’d probably also consider some preowned instruments. You might end up with a better piano for your money by sacrificing the brand-newness.

1978 Bösendorfer 225 (restoration)
1984 Yamaha U1 (gray market)
V
V
Yamaha piano is always famous by its durability like a workhorse but Boston is also not a low quality one if we don’t want to say “premium level” as Piano Buyer magazine. Therefore the key thing is your favorite touch and tone. As my view, Yamaha and Boston are totally in opposite sides of touch and tone so I think you should spend sufficient time to try both. A few minute playing won’t help. We should try to avoid to buy a piano then recognize we cannot tolerate its sounds (for example my wife cannot stand for Yamaha piano sounds smile.

Every day is a gift
7000 Post Club Member
7000 Post Club Member
Yamaha and Boston are totally in opposite sides of touch and tone so I think you should spend sufficient time to try both. A few minute playing won’t help.

This cannot be stressed enough! When I was piano shopping, I brought my sheet music and I spent 20+ minutes on any piano that I liked.

At some point I also decided to avoid buying anything on the first visit. IOW, if I went to a dealer's and liked a piano there, I made a rule for myself that I had to wait a few days or a week and go back and play it again. That worked well for me, esp. early on in my piano shopping when I was less confident in making a selection. (This was also pre-covid and I didn't feel like it was very likely that someone would come along and buy something before I had a chance to.)

Started piano June 1999.
Proud owner of a Yamaha C2

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
S
500 Post Club Member
Online Content
500 Post Club Member
S
20k seems like a reasonable price for the gc1. The SMP (suggested maximum price) on PianoBuyer is 24.4K, so the quoted price is about 20% off the SMP. This is in the expected ballpark, especially as it seems it is a seller’s market and people are not getting as much of a discount as they used to. The SMP of the Boston is about the same as the Yamaha. If the piano is from 2021 but has not been sold previously, it is still considered a new piano. If it was sold previously, I would ask myself why it’s back with the dealers (it would be strange to me that it’s no longer with its original owner). If you’re interested in buying it, I might have it checked by an independent technician, particularly as it was turned back to the store so quickly. Also, make sure that you get the manufacturer’s warranty… some of them don’t convey after the first owner.

But before all this, I would maybe take a couple steps back and think about other options. Some people very strongly feel they want a grand piano, even a small one, rather than a vertical/upright piano, and that’s totally fine if you’re one of those people. But as you haven’t indicated that this is the case, I would recommend at least considering upright pianos. A $20k budget will go a very long way with upright pianos, and you can get a really really nice upright with this budget. Also with this budget, you may be able to find a lightly used but somewhat longer grand. If you’ve got the space, some extra inches will really help with the bass of the piano.

I think this article from PianoBuyer is really great: https://www.pianobuyer.com/article/five-mistakes-first-time-piano-buyers-make/
I’d pay particular attention to #2, Shopping Backwards.

Best wishes with your piano shopping! Have fun!

Moderated by  Ken Knapp, Piano World 

Link Copied to Clipboard
(ad)
Best of Piano Buyer
Piano Buyer - Read the Articles, Explore the website
(ad)
PianoDisc

PianoDisc
(ad)
Faust Harrison Pianos
Faust Harrison 100+ Steinway pianos
(ad)
Mason & Hamlin Pianos
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Clavinova CVP-203 as master keyboard
by manednews - 06/25/22 09:04 PM
"B" is not a beginner's key ?
by Charles Cohen - 06/25/22 07:35 PM
Mendelssohn Op. 54 Variation #13
by Ardith - 06/25/22 07:19 PM
New Yamaha Synth Coming?!
by Doug M. - 06/25/22 03:30 PM
Download Sheet Music
Virtual Sheet Music - Classical Sheet Music Downloads
What's Hot!!
FREE June Newsletter is Here!
--------------------
Forums RULES, Terms of Service & HELP
(updated 06/06/2022)
-------------------
Music Store Going Out of Business Sale!
---------------------
Mr. PianoWorld's Original Composition
---------------------
Sell Your Piano on our world famous Piano Forums!
---------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
-------------------
ADVERTISE on Piano World
Forum Statistics
Forums43
Topics213,667
Posts3,203,261
Members105,644
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010
Please Support Our Advertisers

Faust Harrison 100+ Steinways

Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver

Best of Piano Buyer

PianoTeq Bechstein
Visit our online store for gifts for music lovers

Virtual Sheet Music - Classical Sheet Music Downloads

Help keep the forums up and running with a donation, any amount is appreciated!
Or by becoming a Subscribing member! Thank-you.
Donate   Subscribe

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations | Pianos For Sale | Sell Your Piano |

Advertise on Piano World
| Subscribe | Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map | Free Newsletter | MapleStreetMusicShop.com - Our store in Cornish Maine

© copyright 1997 - 2022 Piano World ® all rights reserved
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission