2022 our 25th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Who's Online Now
27 members (Burkhard, AlkansBookcase, brennbaer, cmoody31, dh371, 20/20 Vision, admodios, clothearednincompo, 6 invisible), 1,217 guests, and 325 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
K.D. Offline OP
OP Offline
My wife and I are purchasing a baby grand (our first piano) as a family gift this holiday season. After some shopping, we are prepared to buy a new Weber WG-50. The size is perfect for our room and the sounds is wonderful. Our intention is hobby/practice for the entire family. The "deal" we've found is just over $5K for piano and bench. Does that seem fair? I'm also curious if any other owners of similar pianos have any opinions to share.

Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member
Chinese piano, same as the Bergmann, built in the same YC factory. The price is good, and it would be a better starter than many us ever enjoyed.

TNCR. Over 20 years. Over 2,000,000 posts. And a new site...

https://nodebb.the-new-coffee-room.club

Where pianists and others talk about everything. And nothing.
9000 Post Club Member
9000 Post Club Member
Dang.... I'm forgetting model numbers.... I think the WG-50 is Korean. The Chinese one of that size has a different model number if I remember correctly, but since I refused to stock the things I can't recall what it was.....

E
E
Larry why did you "refuse" to stock them?

9000 Post Club Member
9000 Post Club Member
The Chinese YC product was "buggy", and never improved. It sounded like someone was beating the strings with metal spoons when you played them, the actions were horrible, and the fit and finish sucked. One of the worst excuses for a piano I've ever seen from China other than the first Pearl Rivers to make it over here.

If you'd like a less diplomatic version of that let me know...... wink

Originally posted by Larry:
Dang.... I'm forgetting model numbers.... I think the WG-50 is Korean. The Chinese one of that size has a different model number if I remember correctly, but since I refused to stock the things I can't recall what it was.....
And you may well be right...

I know there was a change when the Chinese product was introduced, and all the Korean stuff went to WGS numbers.

The little Korean was a much better product than the initial Chinese stuff. I'm thinking that if this is a new piano, that it is probably Chinese, cuz te small Korean was phased out a couple of years ago. Also, I don't think anyone sold the little Korean that cheap...more like 7-8K, if memory serves me correctly (which is getting less likely each day...).

TNCR. Over 20 years. Over 2,000,000 posts. And a new site...

https://nodebb.the-new-coffee-room.club

Where pianists and others talk about everything. And nothing.
E
E
Gosh Larry, how do you REALLY feel??
wink

K. D.

Here is the thread to the decoder ring for the Webers part numbers.

Dave

http://www.pianoworld.com/ubb/cgi-bin/ultimatebb.cgi?/topic/1/1450.html

9000 Post Club Member
9000 Post Club Member
know there was a change when the Chinese product was introduced, and all the Korean stuff went to WGS numbers.

Not all the Korean models went to the WGS numbers. Only the Special Edition, or whatever they were called. Geez.... my memory......

AH! Now I remember!

WG and 2 numbers were Korean, ie, WG-50 = Korean
WG and 3 numbers were Chinese, ie WG-150 = Chinese
WSG was the Korean built Weber/Pramberger stuff.

500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
Weber is out of business, unless the name was purchased by a different parent company. As far as I know, Samsung owns the name and is still honoring warranties--I hope, as I'm waiting for a check done for work done this past MOnday on a WG60.

A recurring problem in Weber pianos (the ones manufactured by Young Chang, at any rate) was expanding action brackets. They would swell because the zinc content in the metal would take on moisture, from what I've been told. Major regulation problems, such as incredibly heavy feel, hammers blocking or bobbling against strings, would occur throughout the piano.

I don't know the age of the WG 50 you're looking at, but find out if is from the era of expansion! Don't know exactly when the problem was rectified, if ever, but that information should be available through Young Chang.

Dave Stahl

Dave Stahl
Dave Stahl Piano Service
Santa Clara, CA
Serving most of the greater SF Bay Area
http://dstahlpiano.net
K.D. Offline OP
OP Offline
WOW! This is a lot more information than I expected. I appreciate everyone's time.

I am concerned a bit by a few of the comments posted. Hopefully some follow up will help me sort this one out.

The piano is on sale (3rd Store opening/Big Christmas Sale). The original price was $8790. The store owner told me that he purchased 30 of this model to celebrate the new store opening, and, as a result, is able to offer them at the reduced price...reading that YC has filed bankruptcy supports this idea (fire sale, possibly?).

I've confirmed that it is a WG-50, Korean made. That settles some of the concerns brought up by comments posted about the Chinese models. What about the expanding action bracket...1) is that a problem with this model, and, if so, 2) is it easily fixed?

Again, thank you for all the comments. I greatly appreciate the help!

Best Regards,
Kory

P
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
P
If you'd like a less diplomatic version of that let me know...... [Wink]

9000 Post Club Member
9000 Post Club Member
Weber still has a service department, and parts can be obtained under warranty. Samsung is very solid, so as long as parts are made by YC, or by the supplier to YC as the case may be, you have no problem. Because the expanding action brackets are a recognized issue that they have no choice but to address (sort of like a car having a recall, although the brackets have never been officially considered a "recall) Weber will supply the dealer with a new set of brackets. If you buy the piano, insist that the brackets be replaced, and make sure they actually do it.

500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
Larry offers good advice. I would make sure the brackets in the piano are of the non-expanding variety BEFORE you get it in your home, and make certain that the dealer delivers the piano in decent regulation should you choose to buy it.

Samsung has been relatively accessible in my dealings with them, and they offer a reasonable reimbursement for changing the brackets. The dealer shouldn't have a problem with replacing them.

Dave Stahl

Dave Stahl
Dave Stahl Piano Service
Santa Clara, CA
Serving most of the greater SF Bay Area
http://dstahlpiano.net
S
S
Originally posted by Larry:
The Chinese YC product was "buggy", and never improved. It sounded like someone was beating the strings with metal spoons when you played them, the actions were horrible, and the fit and finish sucked. One of the worst excuses for a piano I've ever seen from China other than the first Pearl Rivers to make it over here.

If you'd like a less diplomatic version of that let me know...... wink
While that may have been true years ago, for the past two years the Bergmann products are much improved and are among the better Chinese instruments I've seen.

Piano Industry Consultant

Co-author (with Larry Fine) of Practical Piano Valuation
www.jasonsmc@msn.com

Contributing Editor & Consultant - Acoustic & Digital Piano Buyer

Retired owned of Jasons Music Center
Maryland/DC/No. VA
Family Owned and Operated Since 1937.

K.D. Offline OP
OP Offline
Reading comments about Weber and the pending status of YC caused me to reconsider the WG-50. Our latest find is a Story & Clark Model 152. This piano is slightly more expensive ($6250) than the Weber, but comes with the guarantee of a "real" company, in more ways than one!

I've read as many posts as I can find about the 152. For the most part, it seems to be a liked piano. I would greatly appreciate any comments regarding the SC 152.

I've noticed posts from the Kansas City area. Dealers posts welcomed... =)

M
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
M
I almost bought the Story & Clark piano but the 5'5" model. They have a 10 yr warranty & are made in the Dongbei (best chinese factory) in China. They are shipped to the Story & Clark factory in PA where they are assembled & prepped before being sent on to the dealers. The PA factory personnel were very helpful to me when I called asking a few questions I had about their pianos. They even fedexed me a sample of their available finshes.

I ended up buying a 5'9" Kohler & Campbell because I wanted something a bit larger &was offered a better deal dollar wise,& liked the tone a *little* better. (However from what I am learning, how the piano is "prepped" is crucial to the tone) Overall I think the Story & Clark pianos are quite nice & I absolutely would have bought one.

Realize that while this is a very informative forum on many levels, there is a bit of distain for "low end" Asian pianos overall here. (Some justified, cheaper many times *does* translate to more quality issues) Thus most of the feedback you are likely to receive will be negative to luke warm at best regarding the Story & Clark pianos.

I know the Piano Book by Larry Fine is highly recommended & have heard that he says some nice things about the Story & Clark in there.

I would base your decision on your own tastes & what pleases you sound wise & the feel you get for the dealership.

Good luck to you. Let us know what you buy!

Moderated by  Gombessa, Piano World, platuser 

Link Copied to Clipboard
What's Hot!!
Piano World Has Been Sold!
--------------------
Forums RULES, Terms of Service & HELP
(updated 06/06/2022)
---------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
(ad)
(ad)
New Topics - Multiple Forums
How Much to Sell For?
by TexasMom1 - 04/15/24 10:23 PM
Song lyrics have become simpler and more repetitive
by FrankCox - 04/15/24 07:42 PM
New bass strings sound tubby
by Emery Wang - 04/15/24 06:54 PM
Pianodisc PDS-128+ calibration
by Dalem01 - 04/15/24 04:50 PM
Forum Statistics
Forums43
Topics223,384
Posts3,349,164
Members111,630
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations |

Advertise on Piano World
| Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map

Copyright © VerticalScope Inc. All Rights Reserved.
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission