2022 our 25th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

Shop our online store for music lovers
SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Pianoteq
Steinway Spiro Layering
(ad)
Piano Life Saver - Dampp Chaser
Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver
(ad)
Wessell Nickel & Gross
PianoForAll
Who's Online Now
80 members (accordeur, AndrewJCW, AaronSF, Azalingchan, AJB, beeboss, belcanto89, 22 invisible), 995 guests, and 318 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
(ad)
Estonia Pianos
Estonia Pianos
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
C
OP Offline
C
Hi all,

I'm fairly new here and have been lurking for a bit. I just saw this deal on Pocketmags I thought I'd share because it's something I had been watching for: entire back catalog of Pianist Magazine for $124.99. I'm not schilling for them, but I am a subscriber and have been pretty happy with the content, especially the music itself; often better than copies from IMSLP and the like, plus discussion. Anyway, fwiw, enjoy!

B
Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member
Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member
B
I have been a subscriber since its inception, and I've kept all the issues. It has introduced me to lots of fine music over the years, as well as composers I'd never heard of before. I mainly use the music scores in it for sight-reading.

One uninteresting fact: I first 'performed' (sight-read the piano part while singing with my group) Bridge Over Troubled Water while on the ferry ship between Skagway (AK) and Bellingham (WA) many years ago: there was an 'official' Simon & Garfunkel piano songbook (with the well-known grainy photo on the front cover, and full lyrics, piano accompaniments and guitar chords) in the piano bench, which I used for our pop group's, er, I mean climbing team's pub performance. But I noticed that one important harmonic progression in the score was 'wrong', i.e. not what S & G actually used in their recording and live performances, so I corrected it when I played.

After that, I sought out other S & G books whenever I visited the music stores in London, but all of them contained that wrong harmony. Very odd.

But then, several years ago, one issue of Pianist Magazine included the song in its pages (one of its rare forays into the pop world). And I was surprised and pleased to see that it contained all the correct harmonies, and the piano part is the closest to what the pianist actually played in their recording. It's still the only score of the song that I've seen which contains the correct harmony.......

"I don't play accurately - anyone can play accurately - but I play with wonderful expression. As far as the piano is concerned, sentiment is my forte. I keep science for Life."
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
I thought it meant the Pianist magazines have back issues when I first saw the title. 🤪

Last edited by probably blue; 05/19/22 06:10 PM.
B
B
I couldn't seem to find this offer. Can you share a link?

C
OP Offline
C
Sorry, it may just be for current subscribers; viewing the page when logged out of my account shows the prices at their usual $7.99 https://pocketmags.com/us/pianist-magazine/issues

1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
AFAIK, Pocketmags only sells digital issues starting from #55 (and special ones). Issues 1-54 are not available from them.

Last edited by VladK; 05/20/22 09:25 PM.

Wise men speak because they have something to say; Fools because they have to say something. (falsely attributed to Plato)
Vlad,
Adult beginner
C
OP Offline
C
That's true, I'm guessing it's when they converted to digital format options for the subscription though I don't know that? In any case it's a nice trove of material for sightreading practice and repertoire building for me.

P
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
P
I have digital format from #55. For copyright reasons, they are unable to go back any further. A shame as there were some great contemporary pieces taht I would have loved to learn. This is the only magazine I subscribe to these days. #jello of those who have the pre 55 editions.

C
OP Offline
C
related note, I have found the now copyright-free materials from Etude Magazine here (and many of course on IMSLP): http://www.pianophilia.com/phpBB3/viewtopic.php?f=11&t=1212

For example, I downloaded a copy of Debussy's Reverie from this magazine, at the time of publication it was a "new piece" and the discussion around it so interesting to see, maybe one of it's first times in popular print. I bet there are more examples of this, just takes time!

Moderated by  Brendan, Kreisler 

Link Copied to Clipboard
(ad)
Best of Piano Buyer
Piano Buyer - Read the Articles, Explore the website
(ad)
PianoDisc

PianoDisc
(ad)
Faust Harrison Pianos
Faust Harrison 100+ Steinway pianos
(ad)
Mason & Hamlin Pianos
New Topics - Multiple Forums
My Perfect Piano
by drewhpianoman - 07/06/22 02:44 PM
Looking to upgrade my piano
by TX3Q - 07/06/22 12:57 PM
Music theory - Key identification
by Animisha - 07/06/22 11:21 AM
Yamaha P-125 String Resonance
by Petzold - 07/06/22 09:50 AM
Piano saver system? does everyone use this?
by NJ_Piano_Mom - 07/06/22 09:00 AM
Download Sheet Music
Virtual Sheet Music - Classical Sheet Music Downloads
What's Hot!!
FREE June Newsletter is Here!
--------------------
Forums RULES, Terms of Service & HELP
(updated 06/06/2022)
-------------------
Music Store Going Out of Business Sale!
---------------------
Mr. PianoWorld's Original Composition
---------------------
Sell Your Piano on our world famous Piano Forums!
---------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
-------------------
ADVERTISE on Piano World
Forum Statistics
Forums43
Topics213,831
Posts3,205,880
Members105,737
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010
Please Support Our Advertisers

Faust Harrison 100+ Steinways

Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver

Best of Piano Buyer

PianoTeq Bechstein
Visit our online store for gifts for music lovers

Virtual Sheet Music - Classical Sheet Music Downloads

Help keep the forums up and running with a donation, any amount is appreciated!
Or by becoming a Subscribing member! Thank-you.
Donate   Subscribe

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations | Pianos For Sale | Sell Your Piano |

Advertise on Piano World
| Subscribe | Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map | Free Newsletter | MapleStreetMusicShop.com - Our store in Cornish Maine

© copyright 1997 - 2022 Piano World ® all rights reserved
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission