2022 our 25th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

Shop our online store for music lovers
SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Pianoteq
Steinway Spiro Layering
(ad)
Piano Life Saver - Dampp Chaser
Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver
(ad)
Wessell Nickel & Gross
PianoForAll
Who's Online Now
46 members (Azalingchan, 80k, Auror, brennbaer, anotherscott, bwv543, anamnesis, DDobs, 8 invisible), 5,112 guests, and 251 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
(ad)
Estonia Pianos
Estonia Pianos
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
D
500 Post Club Member
OP Offline
500 Post Club Member
D
Hi friends,

As I extensively use the Garritan CFX Concert Grand on standalone, I discovered something rather disturbing.

My laptop is a Dell Precision 3540 running Windows 11 Pro, 32GB of RAM. The software in theory should use about 180 to 190 MB of RAM. At least that's how it began according to the "Advanced" page. However, I would look in my task manager after playing for sometime, or if I leave it sitting idle for a few moments and return. Then I notice two things:
1. There can be occasional drop outs / crackles in the audio;
2. My ram usage would jump up quite a bit. My initial over all ram consumption is around 15% or 16%, with 26 to 27 GB of remaining ram. When Garritan CFX runs for an extended period of time, the ram usage jumps up to around 50%, with a half of my ram consumed.

The solution is to end Garritan CFX's process from the task manager and restart the software, then everything becomes normal again.

I believe this is a memory leak? Is there a way to solve this problem?

Thanks!

David

S
1000 Post Club Member
Online Content
1000 Post Club Member
S
Is that computer dedicated to running that software only? Could try a computer with all unnecessary services disabled.

D
500 Post Club Member
OP Offline
500 Post Club Member
D
Originally Posted by SouthPark
Is that computer dedicated to running that software only? Could try a computer with all unnecessary services disabled.

I only have one computer, and I can't possibly disable too many services. My over all system ram consumption is from 4 to 5 GB, and the only abnormal RAm is with the CFX. The other programs that I have, like Ivory II American Concert D, have very normal RAM usage and no audio drop outs. Just this Garritan can have problems without restarting the software.

S
1000 Post Club Member
Online Content
1000 Post Club Member
S
Thanks david. In that case ...... you could be onto something with the garritan cfx.

D
500 Post Club Member
OP Offline
500 Post Club Member
D
Thanks david. In that case ...... you could be onto something with the garritan cfx.

I'm afraid so... smile

3000 Post Club Member
3000 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by David Lai
Hi friends,

As I extensively use the Garritan CFX Concert Grand on standalone, I discovered something rather disturbing.

My laptop is a Dell Precision 3540 running Windows 11 Pro, 32GB of RAM. The software in theory should use about 180 to 190 MB of RAM. At least that's how it began according to the "Advanced" page. However, I would look in my task manager after playing for sometime, or if I leave it sitting idle for a few moments and return. Then I notice two things:
2. My ram usage would jump up quite a bit. My initial over all ram consumption is around 15% or 16%, with 26 to 27 GB of remaining ram. When Garritan CFX runs for an extended period of time, the ram usage jumps up to around 50%, with a half of my ram consumed.

The solution is to end Garritan CFX's process from the task manager and restart the software, then everything becomes normal again.

Thanks!

David

Can you run two copies of the program and use one, close it when that process leaks and then you've got one open to continue with?
If it takes ages to close down, you could use vba to instantly shut it, if you needed to reboot to get your RAM usage reduced.

E.g., plonk this in an excel VB editor module and assign a button to run it:

Sub TerminateApp1()
'---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
' Terminates the exe process specified.
' Uses WMI (Windows Management Instrumentation) to query all running processes
' then terminates ALL instances of the exe process held in the variable strTerminateThis.
'---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Dim strTerminateThis As String
'The variable to hold the process to terminate

Dim objWMIcimv2 As Object, objProcess As Object, objList As Object
Dim intError As Integer

'Process to terminate – you could specify and .exe program name here

strTerminateThis = "Creative Cloud.exe"

'Connect to CIMV2 Namespace and then find the .exe process

Set objWMIcimv2 = GetObject("winmgmts:{impersonationLevel=impersonate}!\\.\root\cimv2")
Set objList = objWMIcimv2.ExecQuery("select * from win32_process where name='" & strTerminateThis & "'")
For Each objProcess In objList
intError = objProcess.Terminate 'Terminates a process and all of its threads.
'Return value is 0 for success. Any other number is an error.
If intError <> 0 Then Exit For
Next

'ALL instances of exe (strTerminateThis) have been terminated
Set objWMIcimv2 = Nothing
Set objList = Nothing
Set objProcess = Nothing

End Sub

This might help: seems to be lots of hits on it:
https://www.google.com/search?q=wha...04j0j15&sourceid=chrome&ie=UTF-8

Instruments......Kawai MP7SE.............................................(Past - Kawai MP7, Yamaha PSR7000)
Software..........Sibelius 7; Neuratron Photoscore Pro 8
Stand...............K&M 18953 Table-style Stage Piano Stand
Piano stool.......K&M 14093 Piano stool
G
6000 Post Club Member
6000 Post Club Member
G
David,

What RAM/disk settings do you use for Garritan CFX?

I'm not sure if this will be helpful to you as I'm on a Mac, but what I've observed is that while Garritan CFX CAN use a lot of RAM if you allocate it, it really doesn't need it to function well. In fact, I found that for best results (zero cracks, pops or dropouts), the best setting is to give it the bare minimum of RAM needed. 1 to 1.5GB total, with 16kB disk pre-caching. This way, Garritan is streaming most of the data it needs straight from SSD, and avoiding the use of RAM storage, which in my case seemed to be subjecting it to OS-level buffering and disk caching that added to the latency.

I discovered this solution after noticing that when I allocated 8-16+GB of RAM to CFX, it would play flawlessly as it was filling up RAM, but once the RAM buffer was full, it would start to experience cracks. So the arguably slower initial load of samples from SSD to memory for real-time play was effortless for it, but once the majority of the sample set was in RAM, THEN it couldn't keep up. By starving CFX of RAM by only allocating 1GB, I could force it to fetch directly from SSD, thus avoiding the problem.

Hope that helps!

Bosendorfer D214VC ENPro
Past: Yamaha P-85, P-105, CP50, Kawai MP11, Kawai NV-10
P
P
Rebooting is your friend. Expect leaks from all your software.

D
500 Post Club Member
OP Offline
500 Post Club Member
D
Originally Posted by Gombessa
David,

What RAM/disk settings do you use for Garritan CFX?

I'm not sure if this will be helpful to you as I'm on a Mac, but what I've observed is that while Garritan CFX CAN use a lot of RAM if you allocate it, it really doesn't need it to function well. In fact, I found that for best results (zero cracks, pops or dropouts), the best setting is to give it the bare minimum of RAM needed. 1 to 1.5GB total, with 16kB disk pre-caching. This way, Garritan is streaming most of the data it needs straight from SSD, and avoiding the use of RAM storage, which in my case seemed to be subjecting it to OS-level buffering and disk caching that added to the latency.

I discovered this solution after noticing that when I allocated 8-16+GB of RAM to CFX, it would play flawlessly as it was filling up RAM, but once the RAM buffer was full, it would start to experience cracks. So the arguably slower initial load of samples from SSD to memory for real-time play was effortless for it, but once the majority of the sample set was in RAM, THEN it couldn't keep up. By starving CFX of RAM by only allocating 1GB, I could force it to fetch directly from SSD, thus avoiding the problem.

Hope that helps!

So far, your solution is the most helpful, Gombessa! I've got now 1.25 GB ram and 16KB caching. So far I've been intentionally letting it sit idle, and no pops just now after 20 minutes or so of sitting idle. Maybe I could just use 256 MB of RAM, because the samples that I load is about 180 MB or so, according to what Garritan CFX's interface says. smile

Thank you!

David

D
500 Post Club Member
OP Offline
500 Post Club Member
D
Originally Posted by Doug M.
Hi friends,

Thanks!

David

Can you run two copies of the program and use one, close it when that process leaks and then you've got one open to continue with?
If it takes ages to close down, you could use vba to instantly shut it, if you needed to reboot to get your RAM usage reduced.

E.g., plonk this in an excel VB editor module and assign a button to run it:

Sub TerminateApp1()
' Terminates the exe process specified.
' Uses WMI (Windows Management Instrumentation) to query all running processes
' then terminates ALL instances of the exe process held in the variable strTerminateThis.

Dim strTerminateThis As String
'The variable to hold the process to terminate

Dim objWMIcimv2 As Object, objProcess As Object, objList As Object
Dim intError As Integer

'Process to terminate – you could specify and .exe program name here

strTerminateThis = "Creative Cloud.exe"

'Connect to CIMV2 Namespace and then find the .exe process

Set objWMIcimv2 = GetObject("winmgmts:{impersonationLevel=impersonate}!\\.\root\cimv2")
Set objList = objWMIcimv2.ExecQuery("select * from win32_process where name='" & strTerminateThis & "'")
For Each objProcess In objList
intError = objProcess.Terminate 'Terminates a process and all of its threads.
'Return value is 0 for success. Any other number is an error.
If intError <> 0 Then Exit For
Next

'ALL instances of exe (strTerminateThis) have been terminated
Set objWMIcimv2 = Nothing
Set objList = Nothing
Set objProcess = Nothing

End Sub

This might help: seems to be lots of hits on it:
https://www.google.com/search?q=wha...04j0j15&sourceid=chrome&ie=UTF-8

Thank you for this. But the problem is, I run it on standalone, not on the VST host.

D
500 Post Club Member
OP Offline
500 Post Club Member
D
Originally Posted by PianoMan51
Rebooting is your friend. Expect leaks from all your software.

I shut down my laptop from time to time, yes. What I was talking about was having to restart Garritan CFX the standalone software.

S
1000 Post Club Member
Online Content
1000 Post Club Member
S
So - there is an important difference when the software is operating ------ as in no idle is occurring. As in operating flawlessly - and indefinitely (without idle coming into the picture). And then some issues occur after an idle, right?

D
500 Post Club Member
OP Offline
500 Post Club Member
D
So - there is an important difference when the software is operating ------ as in no idle is occurring. As in operating flawlessly - and indefinitely (without idle coming into the picture). And then some issues occur after an idle, right?

Right. When it starts up, everything is good. However, if I just left the software running for sometime without touching my VPC1, and then after, say, 15 minutes, I touch the keyboard and play for a while, it starts to eat my ram up.

S
1000 Post Club Member
Online Content
1000 Post Club Member
S
I see. Thanks David. No info.

G
6000 Post Club Member
6000 Post Club Member
G
Maybe I could just use 256 MB of RAM, because the samples that I load is about 180 MB or so, according to what Garritan CFX's interface says. smile

I found that when I allocate less than 1GB RAM (say 512MB), the smallest disk pre-caching setting of 16kB was too large to fit in RAM, and this itself caused cracks/pops/dropouts. So for me, the smallest amount of RAM that could support the minimum size of 16kB was 1 to 1.5GB. Maybe on PC it'll work better, or you may have an option to use even less of a sample pre-cache size?

Best of luck!

Bosendorfer D214VC ENPro
S
1000 Post Club Member
Online Content
1000 Post Club Member
S
I see. Thanks David. No info.

Typo --- 'nice'

3000 Post Club Member
Online Content
3000 Post Club Member
So far, your solution is the most helpful, Gombessa! I've got now 1.25 GB ram and 16KB caching.

lolatu discussed the memory leak with Garritan's tech support but I think nothing was changed, unfortunately. The thread is interesting in any case:

http://forum.pianoworld.com/ubbthreads.php/topics/2716043/stable-garritan-cfx.html

Here are some popular solutions:

- Extremely low "Engine RAM allocation" & "Inst Disc Pre-Caching" as recommended by Gombessa.

- Exit and relaunch Garritan CFX every few hours to purge RAM

- Unrelated to memory leaks but to reduce crackles try:

-- Increasing "polophony" in the Advanced tab

-- Minimize the Aria player so it is not showing on the screen. On the upper right corner of the player there is the typical windows dash, box and X; pressing the dash would minimize the player

-- Oddly, I thought a few people found better performance using an external SSD. Your internal nvme drive should be so much better but enough people found the external drives to work great it is worth considering

-- I thought you had optimised your laptop for VIs so did not offer any of the typical Windows tweaks (feel free to ask).

Fun but impractical idea: A RAMDisk might run Garritan best but I never heard of someone using that. It is a bit painful to setup and use and would require at least 64GB of RAM. Not practical.

Q
Q
I’d recommend downloading Latencymon. It’ll measure what resources are in use. It also has instructions on which services you can safely disable (temporarily, if needed) in order to run the piano software smoothly.

https://m.majorgeeks.com/files/details/latencymon.html

Last edited by Quatschmacher; 05/19/22 07:50 AM.
G
6000 Post Club Member
6000 Post Club Member
G
I think David has a thread where he is in fact using Latencymon?

Bosendorfer D214VC ENPro
D
500 Post Club Member
OP Offline
500 Post Club Member
D
A couple of replies here.

1. Yes, I've tuned my laptop so that all my music programs run as expected -- that is, normally. I also have an external audio interface, where now all audio goes out of. The issue at play here is where Garritan CFX eats away at my ram.

2. I've used Latencymon before, thinking I might be able to reduce the buffer size from 64 to 32. However, when I posted it to the forum, you all recommended me to stick with 64 if it runs well and not change, so that's the path I took. I've since uninstalled Latencymon.

3. I'm using all my piano VST's standalone in my internal SSD.

Have a nice day!

David

Moderated by  Piano World 

Link Copied to Clipboard
(ad)
Best of Piano Buyer
Piano Buyer - Read the Articles, Explore the website
(ad)
PianoDisc

PianoDisc
(ad)
Faust Harrison Pianos
Faust Harrison 100+ Steinway pianos
(ad)
Mason & Hamlin Pianos
New Topics - Multiple Forums
KAWAI ES-100 upgrade worth it in my situation?
by Ciferz - 07/03/22 08:37 PM
Back to the Piano
by DDobs - 07/03/22 05:36 PM
Beginner digital piano buying advice
by pianist2022 - 07/03/22 02:10 PM
Next Repertoire Pieces for my Student?
by RepertoireHunter - 07/03/22 01:58 PM
Piano bench too uncomfortable
by lorez - 07/03/22 11:10 AM
Download Sheet Music
Virtual Sheet Music - Classical Sheet Music Downloads
What's Hot!!
FREE June Newsletter is Here!
--------------------
Forums RULES, Terms of Service & HELP
(updated 06/06/2022)
-------------------
Music Store Going Out of Business Sale!
---------------------
Mr. PianoWorld's Original Composition
---------------------
Sell Your Piano on our world famous Piano Forums!
---------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
-------------------
ADVERTISE on Piano World
Forum Statistics
Forums43
Topics213,794
Posts3,205,232
Members105,710
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010
Please Support Our Advertisers

Faust Harrison 100+ Steinways

Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver

Best of Piano Buyer

PianoTeq Bechstein
Visit our online store for gifts for music lovers

Virtual Sheet Music - Classical Sheet Music Downloads

Help keep the forums up and running with a donation, any amount is appreciated!
Or by becoming a Subscribing member! Thank-you.
Donate   Subscribe

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations | Pianos For Sale | Sell Your Piano |

Advertise on Piano World
| Subscribe | Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map | Free Newsletter | MapleStreetMusicShop.com - Our store in Cornish Maine

© copyright 1997 - 2022 Piano World ® all rights reserved
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission