2022 our 25th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

Shop our online store for music lovers
SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Pianoteq
Steinway Spiro Layering
(ad)
Piano Life Saver - Dampp Chaser
Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver
(ad)
Wessell Nickel & Gross
PianoForAll
Who's Online Now
79 members (80k, Animisha, 36251, axomas, Anevsky, anotherscott, AndreaH, Adem, Azalingchan, 15 invisible), 4,554 guests, and 274 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
(ad)
Estonia Pianos
Estonia Pianos
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
#3159982 09/27/21 06:21 PM
Sam S Offline OP
5000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
5000 Post Club Member
[Linked Image]

My Yamaha P-105 keyboard, and my camper. Playing piano outside! I use headphones so I don't disturb anyone with my banging. It's actually pretty rare for the weather to be in that "Goldilocks" zone so I can do this. Usually when camping I am playing inside. When it's not being used the piano is kept in a soft case and stored in the shower or on top of the bed.

I also take it with me when driving somewhere and staying in a motel. Works pretty good for a keyboard. Nothing fancy, just the basics. My home piano is a Yamaha C3.

Sam

Back to School at 62: How I earned a BM degree in Piano Performance/Piano Pedagogy in my retirement!
ABF Online Recitals
ABF Recital Index
D
D
Nice, I take a Roland along when we go camping. we have a teardrop so I keep it in the back of the car and set it up on tables. I really appreciate the distractions of playing outside, when I get back to my piano at home, it feels like a different universe.

Kawai RX3
Yamaha CLP 785
Roland FP 30
Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member
Looks like fun, Sam! Outside in the fresh air, playing some of your favorite pieces!

You have the best of both piano worlds, my friend, both inside and out! smile

Enjoy your vacation!

Rick

Piano enthusiast and amateur musician: "Treat others the way you would like to be treated". Yamaha C7. YouTube Channel
M
2000 Post Club Member
2000 Post Club Member
M
I sent this to my piano teacher. He now does all his teaching online and has been trying to figure out a good setup to travel while he's teaching. This would be perfect.

Yamaha P90, Kawai GL-10
j&j Offline
4000 Post Club Member
4000 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by Rickster
Looks like fun, Sam! Outside in the fresh air, playing some of your favorite pieces!

You have the best of both piano worlds, my friend, both inside and out! smile

Enjoy your vacation!

Rick

Exactly!

Your set up outside could make a great Yamaha keyboard and acoustic piano commercial. Your C3 at home and your P-105 when RV’ ing.

Is it me, or am I seeing lots of “going RVing” commercials lately? The perfect distraction after a pandemic. Seeing Sam’s setup, that could really be a great getaway.

Last edited by j&j; 09/28/21 08:36 AM.

J & J
Estonia L190 Hidden Beauty
The reason I’m old and wise is because God protected me when I was young and stupid.
[Linked Image]
Sam S Offline OP
5000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
5000 Post Club Member
One of the attractions of the camper/RV is that you have your own bedroom, kitchen, and bathroom.

I almost never use the speakers on the keyboard. I could have saved on weight and gotten something with no speakers I guess.

Sam

Back to School at 62: How I earned a BM degree in Piano Performance/Piano Pedagogy in my retirement!
ABF Online Recitals
ABF Recital Index
Wow... That's a great idea. I love musical instruments because I graduated from music school. But when my family and I go camping, the most I take with me is a guitar. And at evening gatherings around the campfire, I always play the guitar. Perhaps if I had a portable piano, I would also carry it in the van. But unfortunately, I don't have it. When we chose Chicago camping sites with my wife, she always wanted to find a large lake and forest. She loves such gatherings with music... If she could play an instrument, we would have a good musical group, ahaha.

Originally Posted by pawaparen
Wow... That's a great idea. I love musical instruments because I graduated from music school. But when my family and I go camping, the most I take with me is a guitar. And at evening gatherings around the campfire, I always play the guitar. Perhaps if I had a portable piano, I would also carry it in the van. But unfortunately, I don't have it. When we chose Chicago camping sites with my wife, she always wanted to find a large lake and forest. She loves such gatherings with music... If she could play an instrument, we would have a good musical group, ahaha.

Re: Taking powered musical instruments camping; some of the newer digital stage/slab pianos can be powered by batteries for short periods of time (a few hours?). I know some of the newer 88 weighted key Casios can use batteries, as well as AC for power, and perhaps other brands too. A nice option to have when camping or in remote areas with no AC power available.

Also, we had a Piano Buddies event last weekend, and Sam said they were headed out west to the Grand Canyon this week. He's probably outside playing his Yamaha P-105 keyboard now. smile

Rick

Piano enthusiast and amateur musician: "Treat others the way you would like to be treated". Yamaha C7. YouTube Channel
2000 Post Club Member
Online Content
2000 Post Club Member
Playing outside, in the shade with a soft breeze through my hair... it is my dream! Enjoy yourself Sam!

Playing the piano is learning to create, playfully and deeply seriously, our own music in the world.
... feeling like the pianist on the Titanic ...
7000 Post Club Member
7000 Post Club Member
I've always wanted to be able to play outside!

But the closest I ever got was this photo my husband photoshopped of me in a forest.... Not quite the same as being there! whome

[Linked Image]

Started piano June 1999.
Proud owner of a Yamaha C2

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by ShiroKuro
I've always wanted to be able to play outside!

But the closest I ever got was this photo my husband photoshopped of me in a forest.... Not quite the same as being there! whome

[Linked Image]
ha

2000 Post Club Member
Online Content
2000 Post Club Member
Not quite the same as being outside, but still a lovely picture ShiroKuro!

Playing the piano is learning to create, playfully and deeply seriously, our own music in the world.
... feeling like the pianist on the Titanic ...
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
Search “piano outside” on google, or whatever you use.

7000 Post Club Member
7000 Post Club Member
Thanks Animisha! As I recall, I was inspired by visuals from The Forest of Piano:

[Linked Image]

Started piano June 1999.
Proud owner of a Yamaha C2

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
Sam S Offline OP
5000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
5000 Post Club Member
Just got back from a 5000 mile swing through the western US - here's a picture from a campground outside of Zion National Park in Springdale Utah. I'm setup under the awning on the side of the camper. It was so bright I had to wear my old-man shades! I managed to practice every 2 or 3 days...

[Linked Image]

It was a fun trip, but it is always good to be back playing my C3!

Sam

ABF Online Recitals
ABF Recital Index
Originally Posted by Sam S
Just got back from a 5000 mile swing through the western US - here's a picture from a campground outside of Zion National Park in Springdale Utah. I'm setup under the awning on the side of the camper. It was so bright I had to wear my old-man shades! I managed to practice every 2 or 3 days...

[Linked Image]

It was a fun trip, but it is always good to be back playing my C3!

Sam

Awesome picture, Sam, and you look great with those old-man shades on! smile

And, I like your makeshift clothes line with the walking shoes and socks drying out in the wind and the sun!

Glad y'all had a safe, and enjoyable trip!

Rick

S
500 Post Club Member
Online Content
500 Post Club Member
S
Sounds like it was a great trip, and thanks for sharing the photo!

500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
Epic!

S
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
S
Originally Posted by Sam S
My Yamaha P-105 keyboard, and my camper. Playing piano outside! I use headphones so I don't disturb anyone with my banging. It's actually pretty rare for the weather to be in that "Goldilocks" zone so I can do this. Usually when camping I am playing inside. When it's not being used the piano is kept in a soft case and stored in the shower or on top of the bed.

That is called living the dream. Very nice.

A
Silver Supporter until Feb 1 2020
Silver Supporter until Feb 1 2020
A
We were at the 2002 Winter Olympics in Salt Lake City, walking around town when we had an off day from the events. Next to Abravanel Hall, outside, Steinway had set up several grands, including Horowitz's piano, and IIRC Cliburn's piano, maybe one owned by Rubinstein as well as one or two other fancy creations. They were under some protective roof, I think in a heated area (it was the Winter Olympics) and anyone could sit down and play the pianos. My wife took the opportunity to play (she had played the Emperor at the Cliburn Amateur competition two or three years earlier when it was just for piano concertos and the three winners each got to play one movement of their concerto with the Ft. Worth Symphony. ) So she played part of the first movement of the Emperor. Not sure how Steinway maintained the pianos with the temperature issues.

Boesendorfer 225 (1985)
Yamaha S400E (predecessor to CF4) Disklavier (1992)

Moderated by  Ken Knapp, Piano World 

Link Copied to Clipboard
(ad)
Best of Piano Buyer
Piano Buyer - Read the Articles, Explore the website
(ad)
PianoDisc

PianoDisc
(ad)
Faust Harrison Pianos
Faust Harrison 100+ Steinway pianos
(ad)
Mason & Hamlin Pianos
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Beginner digital piano buying advice
by pianist2022 - 07/03/22 02:10 PM
Next Repertoire Pieces for my Student?
by RepertoireHunter - 07/03/22 01:58 PM
Piano bench too uncomfortable
by lorez - 07/03/22 11:10 AM
Small high end grands
by AndreaH - 07/03/22 08:50 AM
Historial orchestral sight reading
by boo1234 - 07/03/22 08:23 AM
Download Sheet Music
Virtual Sheet Music - Classical Sheet Music Downloads
What's Hot!!
FREE June Newsletter is Here!
--------------------
Forums RULES, Terms of Service & HELP
(updated 06/06/2022)
-------------------
Music Store Going Out of Business Sale!
---------------------
Mr. PianoWorld's Original Composition
---------------------
Sell Your Piano on our world famous Piano Forums!
---------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
-------------------
ADVERTISE on Piano World
Forum Statistics
Forums43
Topics213,791
Posts3,205,155
Members105,708
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010
Please Support Our Advertisers

Faust Harrison 100+ Steinways

Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver

Best of Piano Buyer

PianoTeq Bechstein
Visit our online store for gifts for music lovers

Virtual Sheet Music - Classical Sheet Music Downloads

Help keep the forums up and running with a donation, any amount is appreciated!
Or by becoming a Subscribing member! Thank-you.
Donate   Subscribe

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations | Pianos For Sale | Sell Your Piano |

Advertise on Piano World
| Subscribe | Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map | Free Newsletter | MapleStreetMusicShop.com - Our store in Cornish Maine

© copyright 1997 - 2022 Piano World ® all rights reserved
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission