2022 our 25th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

Shop our online store for music lovers
SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Pianoteq
Steinway Spiro Layering
(ad)
Piano Life Saver - Dampp Chaser
Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver
(ad)
Wessell Nickel & Gross
PianoForAll
Who's Online Now
41 members (Azalingchan, AndrewJCW, anotherscott, brennbaer, 80k, Auror, bwv543, anamnesis, 7 invisible), 4,963 guests, and 249 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
(ad)
Estonia Pianos
Estonia Pianos
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
#3216727 05/16/22 02:45 PM
Joined: Mar 2022
Posts: 638
500 Post Club Member
OP Offline
500 Post Club Member
Joined: Mar 2022
Posts: 638
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
Any ways to fix these without replacing keytops? Mainly the gray spot one.

I’m not sure how this even happened... the gray spot is on middle C and I don’t think it’s something on top, it is still smooth with the rest of the key.

(ad)
Piano & Music Accessories
piano accessories music gifts tuning and moving equipment
Joined: Jun 2003
Posts: 30,651
B
BDB Offline
Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member
Offline
Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member
B
Joined: Jun 2003
Posts: 30,651
It might have been a flaw from when it was made. There probably is no good way to fix it.


Semipro Tech
Joined: Feb 2002
Posts: 1,578
1000 Post Club Member
Offline
1000 Post Club Member
Joined: Feb 2002
Posts: 1,578
Ask your piano tuner at the next appointment. I think you should just keep playing it as is!
The one on the edge of the key looks like polishing compound that has become hardened in place. It will scrape off easily if done carefully.


Don Mannino, MPA
Kawai America
Joined: Mar 2022
Posts: 638
500 Post Club Member
OP Offline
500 Post Club Member
Joined: Mar 2022
Posts: 638
Originally Posted by KawaiDon
Ask your piano tuner at the next appointment. I think you should just keep playing it as is!
The one on the edge of the key looks like polishing compound that has become hardened in place. It will scrape off easily if done carefully.
I actually don’t really care. Not that I don’t want to fix it but ITS OK, just wondering incase I sell and someone cares.

I think that’s the case, it bumps up from the rest of the key. (Meaning it’s on top)

Originally Posted by BDB
It might have been a flaw from when it was made. There probably is no good way to fix it.
Probably correct, at least the spot.

Thanks 😊

Last edited by probably blue; 05/16/22 08:55 PM.
Joined: Nov 2018
Posts: 7
R
Junior Member
Offline
Junior Member
R
Joined: Nov 2018
Posts: 7
Finally somebody posted about this!

Joined: Jun 2003
Posts: 30,651
B
BDB Offline
Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member
Offline
Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member
B
Joined: Jun 2003
Posts: 30,651
I agree with Don about the polishing compound, which is the problem and maybe the solution.


Semipro Tech
Joined: Mar 2022
Posts: 638
500 Post Club Member
OP Offline
500 Post Club Member
Joined: Mar 2022
Posts: 638
Originally Posted by Rallent
Finally somebody posted about this!
? Did you also need help?

Originally Posted by BDB
I agree with Don about the polishing compound, which is the problem and maybe the solution.
✔️ ✔️

Joined: May 2011
Posts: 440
B
Full Member
Offline
Full Member
B
Joined: May 2011
Posts: 440
The black spot is in the key and is there to show you where middle C is. smile

I have actually seen this more than once in new keytop sets. I usually don't see it until I'm polishing the keys so I have to stop and replace it with a new one. That's why I always keep an extra set of keytops around.


Professional Piano Technician serving the Tampa bay area. website: mckaigpianoservice.com
Joined: Mar 2022
Posts: 1,750
S
1000 Post Club Member
Online Content
1000 Post Club Member
S
Joined: Mar 2022
Posts: 1,750
I assume it wasn't there in the beginning. Otherwise you probably would have noticed it after all this time. If you tried to rub it off gently with a damp micro-fibre cloth, and it doesn't come off, then it could well be stained into there - burrowed right in. Hair dye or something - hard to say.

Hopefully the piano tech can help out. It sounds fine, as you mentioned that you're ok with it. And if you do want to sell the piano later, then the tech could probably help as well - eg. keytop or key replacement.

Joined: Mar 2022
Posts: 638
500 Post Club Member
OP Offline
500 Post Club Member
Joined: Mar 2022
Posts: 638
Originally Posted by Bill McKaig,RPT
The black spot is in the key and is there to show you where middle C is. smile

I have actually seen this more than once in new keytop sets. I usually don't see it until I'm polishing the keys so I have to stop and replace it with a new one. That's why I always keep an extra set of keytops around.
Okay thanks!

Originally Posted by SouthPark
I assume it wasn't there in the beginning. Otherwise you probably would have noticed it after all this time. If you tried to rub it off gently with a damp micro-fibre cloth, and it doesn't come off, then it could well be stained into there - burrowed right in. Hair dye or something - hard to say.

Hopefully the piano tech can help out. It sounds fine, as you mentioned that you're ok with it. And if you do want to sell the piano later, then the tech could probably help as well - eg. keytop or key replacement.
I rubbed it with everything you said before and it did not come off.

I think it was there when I checked the piano out. I didn’t mind though.

I will ask my tech at the next tuning.
Thank you

Last edited by probably blue; 05/17/22 02:31 PM.
Joined: Dec 2012
Posts: 6,222
E
6000 Post Club Member
Offline
6000 Post Club Member
E
Joined: Dec 2012
Posts: 6,222
Get some auto cleaner/polishing wax and apply it with a paper towel. Remove dried was with a soft cotton rag.

There are tricks with CA glue but that can wait until you report back on the wax job.,


In a seemingly infinite universe-infinite human creativity is-seemingly possible.
According to NASA, 93% of the earth like planets possible in the known universe have yet to be formed.
Contact: toneman1@me.com
Joined: Mar 2022
Posts: 638
500 Post Club Member
OP Offline
500 Post Club Member
Joined: Mar 2022
Posts: 638
I will probably leave it. Maybe later!

Joined: Mar 2022
Posts: 1,750
S
1000 Post Club Member
Online Content
1000 Post Club Member
S
Joined: Mar 2022
Posts: 1,750
Originally Posted by probably blue
I rubbed it with everything you said before and it did not come off.

I think it was there when I checked the piano out. I didn’t mind though.

I will ask my tech at the next tuning.
Thank you

It may well have been there. It seems like a very clean dot. Also gives some nice individuality/character.

Joined: Mar 2022
Posts: 638
500 Post Club Member
OP Offline
500 Post Club Member
Joined: Mar 2022
Posts: 638
Originally Posted by SouthPark
Originally Posted by probably blue
I rubbed it with everything you said before and it did not come off.

I think it was there when I checked the piano out. I didn’t mind though.

I will ask my tech at the next tuning.
Thank you

It may well have been there. It seems like a very clean dot. Also gives some nice individuality/character.
Yup, I will leave it!

“Rare middle c dot piano!” (JK)

Maybe I’ll get rid of the polished compound one though.


Moderated by  Piano World 

Link Copied to Clipboard
(ad)
Best of Piano Buyer
Piano Buyer - Read the Articles, Explore the website
(ad)
PianoDisc

PianoDisc
(ad)
Faust Harrison Pianos
Faust Harrison 100+ Steinway pianos
(ad)
Mason & Hamlin Pianos
New Topics - Multiple Forums
KAWAI ES-100 upgrade worth it in my situation?
by Ciferz - 07/03/22 08:37 PM
Back to the Piano
by DDobs - 07/03/22 05:36 PM
Beginner digital piano buying advice
by pianist2022 - 07/03/22 02:10 PM
Next Repertoire Pieces for my Student?
by RepertoireHunter - 07/03/22 01:58 PM
Piano bench too uncomfortable
by lorez - 07/03/22 11:10 AM
Download Sheet Music
Virtual Sheet Music - Classical Sheet Music Downloads
What's Hot!!
FREE June Newsletter is Here!
--------------------
Forums RULES, Terms of Service & HELP
(updated 06/06/2022)
-------------------
Music Store Going Out of Business Sale!
---------------------
Mr. PianoWorld's Original Composition
---------------------
Sell Your Piano on our world famous Piano Forums!
---------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
-------------------
ADVERTISE on Piano World
Forum Statistics
Forums43
Topics213,794
Posts3,205,232
Members105,710
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010
Please Support Our Advertisers

Faust Harrison 100+ Steinways

Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver

 Best of Piano Buyer

PianoTeq Bechstein
Visit our online store for gifts for music lovers

Virtual Sheet Music - Classical Sheet Music Downloads



 
Help keep the forums up and running with a donation, any amount is appreciated!
Or by becoming a Subscribing member! Thank-you.
Donate   Subscribe
 
Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations | Pianos For Sale | Sell Your Piano |

Advertise on Piano World
| Subscribe | Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map | Free Newsletter | MapleStreetMusicShop.com - Our store in Cornish Maine


© copyright 1997 - 2022 Piano World ® all rights reserved
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission
Powered by UBB.threads™ PHP Forum Software 7.7.5