2022 our 25th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

Shop our online store for music lovers
SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Pianoteq
Steinway Spiro Layering
(ad)
Piano Life Saver - Dampp Chaser
Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver
(ad)
Wessell Nickel & Gross
PianoForAll
Who's Online Now
46 members (AndreaH, Anevsky, 80k, axomas, BillS728, Carey, AndyP, Bruce In Philly, David B, 4 invisible), 3,002 guests, and 250 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
(ad)
Estonia Pianos
Estonia Pianos
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
J
1000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
1000 Post Club Member
J
Just wondering how your 218 is holding up. (Mine’s been great, but I DO baby it.)

Has anyone been able to directly compare it (in the same listening environment) to a similar-sized non-Chinese instrument?

S
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
S
John, what did you think about the recording my (then new) S7X? If you don't remember it's on Youtube if you search for Rachmaninoff and S7X. Of course it's difficult to compare pianos through recordings, but perhaps you could comment on how you think it compares with your 218.

As you know I seriously considered the 218 and liked it a lot, before ultimately going with the S7X. It had a very pretty sound. Something I liked was an unusual amount of sustain in the high treble. Even a piano tech working on another piano noticed this while I was playing, commenting that many pianos have no sustain at all up there. The dealer believed it was due to the 3-layer soundboard where the grain on the outer layers runs at an angle to the central layer allowing sound to move around the soundboard. This has some plausibility to it to me. Bosendorfer also have an unusually nice treble which might be due to the rim on the RHS of the piano being part of the soundboard. It's possible the 218 is less powerful than Yamaha/Steinway and has a "fluffier" sound rather than a pointed sound. Could also be voicing or the fact that it was near new.

If money was a key consideration the 218 would have won hands down as the S7X was 3.3 times the price.

S
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
S
Originally Posted by johnlewisgrant
Has anyone been able to directly compare it (in the same listening environment) to a similar-sized non-Chinese instrument?

The Hailun dealer also dealt Schimmels. I greatly preferred the 218 to any of the far more expensive Schimmels (except probably the concert grand), although part of this is personal preference as I like growl in the bass, and also the pretty delicate treble sound of the 218.

Last edited by Sonepica; 05/05/22 10:01 PM.
J
1000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
1000 Post Club Member
J
This website/blogspot I assume? http://sonepica.blogspot.com/

Beautiful sound (and great technique). Interesting Yamaha. Not the typical "Yamaha" sound. Sounds more "German," for what such descriptions are worth. Schimmels I have played, and I like them. A poor man's Steinway, I suppose. Which makes the Hailun 218 a very poor man's Steinway. I really wish Hailuns were seriously marketed in Toronto. I'm completely unable to find another that I can compare mine with. Toronto has grown VERY big (bigger now than Chicago now), but we seriously lag Chicago in classical music content (concerts, piano shops, private capital funding of our music institutions). Glenn Gould was a product of a piano culture that thrived in Toronto before and after WW2. Growing up here in the 50s, 60s, and 70s it seemed that every middle class family in this town had an upright; long winters and nothing much to do other than hockey, skiing, and pounding the upright. Decent high school music programs, as well, back then. The TSO (our orchestra) had Karl Ancerl (Czech emigre). The glory days. All gone now. (But we DO have some decent concert halls.)

I digress.

Moderated by  Ken Knapp, Piano World 

Link Copied to Clipboard
(ad)
Best of Piano Buyer
Piano Buyer - Read the Articles, Explore the website
(ad)
PianoDisc

PianoDisc
(ad)
Faust Harrison Pianos
Faust Harrison 100+ Steinway pianos
(ad)
Mason & Hamlin Pianos
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Summer school in UK
by FarmGirl - 06/30/22 11:12 PM
Recommended tech in NYC?
by skern49 - 06/30/22 07:39 PM
UEFI / BIOS settings regarding CPU
by David Lai - 06/30/22 07:26 PM
When you play the real Rhodes...
by Rhodes74 - 06/30/22 06:23 PM
Help with keyboard stand
by Visalia - 06/30/22 02:35 PM
Download Sheet Music
Virtual Sheet Music - Classical Sheet Music Downloads
What's Hot!!
FREE June Newsletter is Here!
--------------------
Forums RULES, Terms of Service & HELP
(updated 06/06/2022)
-------------------
Music Store Going Out of Business Sale!
---------------------
Mr. PianoWorld's Original Composition
---------------------
Sell Your Piano on our world famous Piano Forums!
---------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
-------------------
ADVERTISE on Piano World
Forum Statistics
Forums43
Topics213,753
Posts3,204,567
Members105,685
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010
Please Support Our Advertisers

Faust Harrison 100+ Steinways

Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver

Best of Piano Buyer

PianoTeq Bechstein
Visit our online store for gifts for music lovers

Virtual Sheet Music - Classical Sheet Music Downloads

Help keep the forums up and running with a donation, any amount is appreciated!
Or by becoming a Subscribing member! Thank-you.
Donate   Subscribe

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations | Pianos For Sale | Sell Your Piano |

Advertise on Piano World
| Subscribe | Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map | Free Newsletter | MapleStreetMusicShop.com - Our store in Cornish Maine

© copyright 1997 - 2022 Piano World ® all rights reserved
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission