2022 our 25th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Who's Online Now
57 members (brdwyguy, accordeur, Carey, AlkansBookcase, 20/20 Vision, Charles Cohen, 36251, benkeys, bcalvanese, 6 invisible), 1,896 guests, and 276 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
#32135 07/20/08 05:25 PM
CiCi Offline OP
OP Offline
I just bought a U3 which i think it is a little bit pricey (13K) but the saleman said he cannot lower the price, so i go with it ...

Anyway it's the 2nd piano i got since i was a young kid, but i wasn't the one who was taking care when i was young. So, i know nothing about how to take care of my new piano esp. when my mom who used to take care if it is 6000miles away ..... do i need to know anything specific to clean, or maintaining it in good shape?

And also is there any prep-work before and after?

Thank you.

500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
Hi cici,

Congratulations with your new Yamaha!

I think you are paying a lot for that U3, I think the sales person overpowered you, is there still room for negotiation??

The piano should be tuned for free at least once after a few weeks settling in your house, this should be the service of your dealer, check for details before you pay... make sure you get the one you played on in the store, did you write down the serial number?

The outside of the paino is easy:
You don't have to do anything but keep it dust free, use a duster for this, not a cloth, dust scratches on the piano finish!
For greasy fingers just use a glass cleaner, nothing agressive or abrasive, your piano dealer can probably tell u what to get, I live in europe, we call it glassex, it is used for window cleaning, normal household product, spray on a soft cloth (very soft, like a old t shirt) and then rub it over the dirty bit and it is brand new again!

That's it.....

Enjoy your new U3 and welcome to the Yamaha family

Easy he?

Schimmel Konzert 189 Tradition
CiCi Offline OP
OP Offline
Thank you GC1Patrick ......

I don't know if i can negotiate with the sales person again, but will give it a try. And i don't know what price should be "in the range" for the U3 in US so ...... where should i start with?

Yes, there's 2 free tuning coming with the piano, but i don't have the serial number yet as i'm waiting for the piano to be ship out .....

it sounds easy to maintain it ..... thanks GC1Patrick again ...

6000 Post Club Member
6000 Post Club Member
Don't forget to tune it at least a couple of times a year after the initial tunings are over with... That's an important part of how to properly maintain it too...

Jerry Groot RPT
Piano Technicians Guild
Grand Rapids, Michigan
www.grootpiano.com

We love to play BF2.
S
S
CiCi,

Don't give it a try, just turn it down as long as you haven't paid for it. $8000 would be good, but no more than $9000.

shanh

500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
A U3 is 8,170 euro's here in Holland, pianos in the US are cheaper, I think you jave a very bad deal, you should call other piano shops in your area for pricing... I heard on this forum people getting the grand piano that I have a Yamaha GC1 for 11000!!! Here the cost 13000 euro.....

You can only spend your dollar once and it sounds you are being stolen.....! Otherwise ask a friend or anyone to help u out who has more 'balls' to demand a normal price.

Good luck

Schimmel Konzert 189 Tradition
CiCi Offline OP
OP Offline
Thanks for the responds guys ...... but i put down payment on the piano already, so i think i made this turn down more difficult, isn't it?

$8000-9000?! oh my gosh ..... mine is really are overprice ....

1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
Originally posted by CiCi:
Thanks for the responds guys ...... but i put down payment on the piano already, so i think i made this turn down more difficult, isn't it?

$8000-9000?! oh my gosh ..... mine is really are overprice ....
Several ways that you might be able to cancel the order:

1} If the piano was not a "Special Ordered Piano"
2} You have not taken delivery of said piano.
3} If you haven't taken delivery and the piano is being financed.
4} If the piano has a full factory warranty, not limited, but full.
{Magnuson-Moss Warranty Act}

Some states have differing laws regarding cancellation of the purchase of some types of consumer goods. It might be worth your while to check into the laws of your state or the state from whence you put the deposit down on the piano.

Usually, a reputable dealer will give you your deposit back. provided the piano wasn't a special order piano finished in "Bilious Puce" with "Vermilion Inserts" and an adjustable matching padded "Rabbit Fur" bench. laugh

Good luck CiCi.

I bet you can win this one!

Bear

Barry J "Bear" Arnaut ♫
46 Years in the Piano Industry
Retired Kawai/Shigeru Kawai Regional Manager
(My posts and threads are my opinions only)
CiCi Offline OP
OP Offline
The sales person is off today, so no one there can arrange that they said.

And i've been calling other cities and States around asking for prices, so far no luck, all they said was i have to come to their shop. without going to the shop, they can't talk about prices on the phone. i wonder why's that.

So right now .... i'm stuck. Does anyone know any shop that are willing to ship to another state and got good price on an U3? I could really use some advice here, thankz.

CiCi Offline OP
OP Offline
and thanks bear, letting me know some ideas how to cancel it ~

F
4000 Post Club Member
4000 Post Club Member
F
The rep took advantage of you.

$9k tops.

Don't take delivery.

The salesman being out is a familiar story from posters in your situation.

Talk to the owner.

Don't take delivery.

CiCi Offline OP
OP Offline
9K tops is with or without tax?

F
4000 Post Club Member
4000 Post Club Member
F
I don't know the tax in your state.

Most people on PW recommend using the List Prices in Larry Fine's, The Annual Supplement To The Piano Book as the basis for beginning negotiations. The goal is to get a 30% discount off those prices. (California is a competitive market. We can do better than 30%.)

In the most recent supplement, a polished ebony U3 has a List Price of $12,490. A quick computation and I get $8,750.

Talk to the owner. Tell that person that you've decided to cancel the sale, unless you get a fair price.

Don't let this thing drag on. If you can't talk to the owner, call your state's attorney general's office and ask for the consumer affairs division. Explain that you put down a deposit but changed your mind. Ask what your rights are in your state.

If you can file a complaint, file it.

Don't take delivery.

CiCi Offline OP
OP Offline
The List price is $14,XXX now they said. And i called couple out of cities dealer also had the same listed price, so i guess the price went up.

That's why they said if you got it at 10K it would be "normal" .....

F
4000 Post Club Member
4000 Post Club Member
F
*If* there has been a price increase, then you'd have to calculate a new List Price - 30% = fair price.

$10k is still not $13k.

Don't take delivery.

Talk to the owner. If you can't talk that person, call your state attorney general's office and ask for the consumer affairs division. Bear gave you good advice.

If you talk to the consumer affairs office, just recite the facts: put down a deposit, changed mind, can't get anyone at seller to talk to you. What are your rights?

It's to your advantage to be on record as having tried to contact the owner. If phone contact is not possible, send a registered letter.

You should win this one.

Moderated by  Gombessa, Piano World, platuser 

Link Copied to Clipboard
What's Hot!!
Piano World Has Been Sold!
--------------------
Forums RULES, Terms of Service & HELP
(updated 06/06/2022)
---------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
(ad)
(ad)
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Recommended Songs for Beginners
by FreddyM - 04/16/24 03:20 PM
New DP for a 10 year old
by peelaaa - 04/16/24 02:47 PM
Estonia 1990
by Iberia - 04/16/24 11:01 AM
Very Cheap Piano?
by Tweedpipe - 04/16/24 10:13 AM
Practical Meaning of SMP
by rneedle - 04/16/24 09:57 AM
Forum Statistics
Forums43
Topics223,392
Posts3,349,293
Members111,634
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations |

Advertise on Piano World
| Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map

Copyright © VerticalScope Inc. All Rights Reserved.
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission