2022 our 25th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Who's Online Now
56 members (Animisha, Burkhard, aphexdisklavier, benkeys, 1200s, akse0435, AlkansBookcase, 13 invisible), 1,881 guests, and 256 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 3 of 3 1 2 3
S
PW Gold Subscriber
Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member
PW Gold Subscriber
S
IMHO
Any translation, no matter if flawed, is better than no translation. Hopefully, any blips can be worked out through context. Only Using it will answer this question.

4000 Post Club Member
4000 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by thepianoplayer416
Originally Posted by PatG
If you don't speak the language offered in the tutorial you can translate subtitles to a your language shown in this quick video:

How accurate is Google Translate? In the past I've come across translations that are out of context and practically laughing out loud. 😄😄

Once I used Google T to turn a paragraph in Chinese to English. The Chinese phrase 打风 came up as "battle the wind". If you do a Google search on it, a number of links would come up and the common translation is: to be hit by a storm (typhoon in particular). If you translate the word 台风 into English you get typhoon & vice versa. It's a noun with just 1 meaning so translating either way is not a problem. When you have words that can be used in combination with other words to give different meanings, Google translate can be off.

Another example: "car park". The word car is understood to be a vehicle to get around but park can be used as a noun or a verb. GT might turn car park into "car garden" in another language.
In Polish the word for "free" has two meanings but they are different than in English. One is "free" as in free speech and the other meaning is "slow". You can imagine the hilariousness that ensues when foreigners learn about our "slow elections" and "slow bus rides". 😄

3000 Post Club Member
OP Online Content
3000 Post Club Member
Could we please not start a different discussion here, so this thread can be a collection of tutorials about pieces and nothing else? Thank you.

Playing the piano is learning to create, playfully and deeply seriously, our own music in the world.
... feeling like the pianist on the Titanic ...
Animisha, I cannot let it go completely, when it involves my profession that I'm trained and experienced in. The statement about "any translation" is incorrect, and unless you know both languages you cannot always tell. However, a good tutorial teaches through the showing. Therefore one can use a tutorial that is in a language one doesn't know, because we can see and hear what the teacher is doing. In fact, it's been pointed out to me that teachers don't always do what they say they are doing, or they're doing something else that they don't talk about which is worth noticing. So words might matter less. The bottom line is that I wouldn't rule out a lesson in a language I don't know, because the spoken word is secondary to the demonstration. I've learned things from a few. I think a couple were in Chinese, and I think Italian. I learned some useful things. Sometimes when based in another country, there seems to be a whole different angle.

T
3000 Post Club Member
3000 Post Club Member
T
Getting access to foreign videos from a Google search is usually by chance. Especially when you're accessing videos in an unfamiliar text. Once you find the first video, you'd follow the links to other videos in the same language. The name of the YouTube channel may not be in the English alphabet so you'd bookmark the link to access it later.

I've seen a few Chinese piano tutorials on YouTube including 科学钢琴. The channel does have a logo with the name Pianology on it. If you do a search under the English name, a lot of links except the intended tutorials would come up. The Comments section you see all the posts are in Chinese like very few outside that language group would access the videos.

4000 Post Club Member
4000 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by keystring
Sometimes when based in another country, there seems to be a whole different angle.
Oh yes, definitely true. I noticed there is a pronounced difference in approaches between the anglo-sphere and other European countries.

BTW, getting back on topic, I don't think he has been mentioned in this thread but Greg Niemczuk has some very useful stuff although somewhat advanced. His tutorials on the Chopin etudes are the best tutorials I have ever seen about these pieces.
https://www.youtube.com/c/gregniemczukofficial/videos

3000 Post Club Member
OP Online Content
3000 Post Club Member
Greg Niemczuk, very nice Qazsedcft!

Playing the piano is learning to create, playfully and deeply seriously, our own music in the world.
2000 Post Club Member
2000 Post Club Member
I learn a lot by watching his videos, even when the pieces are too advanced for me to play. And he tells such interesting things about the pieces and the composers.

"I have never tried that before, so I think I should definitely be able to do that." Pippi Longstocking
T
3000 Post Club Member
3000 Post Club Member
T
Piano tutorials from different places are not always accessible. Here is a video on fingerings in Chinese. The title 如何设计指法 (how to decide for the fingerings) and everything else is in the same language. The captions are all in Chinese but no CC in English:

Unfortunately the video is only free for Chinese speakers. As open as YouTube can be, not all videos are intended for a wider audience outside a culture group who understands a language... free or otherwise.

Originally Posted by thepianoplayer416
Unfortunately the video is only free for Chinese speakers. As open as YouTube can be, not all videos are intended for a wider audience outside a culture group who understands a language... free or otherwise.

I just watched the whole video - so, for free. One can sort of get the gist about fingering just by watching. There is always the question, regardless of language, whether the video is also a good one, whether what is being taught and demonstrated is correct, and so on. Years ago I wanted to be able to see foot motion for pedal. I came upon a Chinese video where about 10 students, one after the other, were shown using the sustain pedal - 10 feet in white socks, one after the other. That video was helpful to me at the time, only through the visual.

You could say that Dr. Mortensen's videos are not intended for us. We know he intends them for his students, so that he doesn't have to show the same thing over and over - he can refer to his videos, and I think I understand that he teaches groups more than individuals. Nonetheless, these videos are inordinately useful for many of us here, for whom they are not intended.

3000 Post Club Member
OP Online Content
3000 Post Club Member
I found a very nice free tutorial of Mozart's Romanze (piano arrangement of the 2nd movement of Eine Kleine Nachtmusik) by Simon Mulligan. He has a series of ABRSM prep tutorials, from the 2017-2018 syllabus: https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLFP9n74EIJVB3CMa_qymjqSsOKkBe7zh3

Edit: I see now that quite a few are demonstrations rather than tutorials. But still, there are maybe ten true tutorials. cool

Last edited by Animisha; 05/27/23 06:06 AM.

N
N
Sonata Secrets:

Page 3 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  Bart K, platuser 

Link Copied to Clipboard
What's Hot!!
Piano World Has Been Sold!
--------------------
Forums RULES, Terms of Service & HELP
(updated 06/06/2022)
---------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
(ad)
(ad)
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Estonia 1990
by Iberia - 04/16/24 11:01 AM
Very Cheap Piano?
by Tweedpipe - 04/16/24 10:13 AM
Practical Meaning of SMP
by rneedle - 04/16/24 09:57 AM
Country style lessons
by Stephen_James - 04/16/24 06:04 AM
How Much to Sell For?
by TexasMom1 - 04/15/24 10:23 PM
Forum Statistics
Forums43
Topics223,390
Posts3,349,248
Members111,632
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations |

Advertise on Piano World
| Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map

Copyright © VerticalScope Inc. All Rights Reserved.
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission