2022 our 25th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Who's Online Now
70 members (Colin Miles, bcalvanese, 20/20 Vision, booms, 36251, Bruce Sato, Carey, AlkansBookcase, 10 invisible), 1,924 guests, and 261 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
R
Rhailey Offline OP
OP Offline
R
Hello,
I’m beginning to shop for a piano, and when I look on pianomart, the majority of the pianos near me are from a place in lilburn. I assume this is the same person posting all of these. Anyone have experience buying from this person? The prices seem reasonable
Thanks!

S
PW Gold Subscriber
Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member
PW Gold Subscriber
S
Do you live in the area? I’m sure someone will be able to answer your question, but please checkout Piano Works in Atlanta- many here have experience with the company and regard them highly

https://www.pianoworks.com/

7000 Post Club Member
7000 Post Club Member
There is one particular store in that area (and I think we're talking about the same one) that seems to spam the heck out of all the local Craigslists and Pianomart. I have not visited there, because I don't like their method of guerrilla advertising, and many of their listings are "by owner" when it is very obvious it is a storefront or "by dealer". Also, the pictures are of pianos in various houses and the ads have odd keywords or "tics" about their listings that make me suspicious.

Pianist, teacher, occasional technician, internet addict.
Piano Review Editor - Acoustic and Digital Piano Buyer
Please visit my YouTube Channel
M
2000 Post Club Member
2000 Post Club Member
M
I did a search on Lilburn's zip code on pianomart.com and got 200 listings .... wow.
I randomly picked some photos that appear to be in a private home, but the description includes a lot of boiler plate about shipping that doesn't make it feel like a private sale. So it seems like it must be a dealer who is either good with photoshop, or is having people take the pictures in their homes before they sell/tradein their pianos to the store, or he's advertising them on some kind of consignment agreement.

Yamaha P90, Kawai GL-10
8000 Post Club Member
8000 Post Club Member
Yes, the Lilburn listings are all the same, as are a few others that pop up in the GA area.

Those listings are not a "scam" in the sense that, he really does have pianos for sale, and if you buy a piano from him, you will get a piano.

But he and his associates are not people I would trust. My piano teacher visited his warehouse and was really turned off by the person who he met (whether it was the main guy or not, I don't recall), my teacher said that the pianos weren't prepped, the space wasn't climate controlled, and the person kept trying to push pianos that my teacher wasn't interested in, but wouldn't show him ones he drove there to see.

When I was piano shopping, I also heard similar things from a local-ish piano tech. This tech said that the Lilburn guy will sell anything, and say anything to sell. He doesn't care about the quality of the instruments. The tech also said that if someone felt really confident in their ability to screen an instrument, they might consider doing business with the guy, but it's sort of a buyer-beware situation.

Unfortunately.

So it seems like it must be a dealer who is either good with photoshop, or is having people take the pictures in their homes before they sell/tradein their pianos to the store

I think he also might have a screen that he stands up behind the pianos as well, it's meant to look like a living room or something.

He is all over Facebook Marketplace as well.

I remember being very discouraged by it all when I was piano shopping.

Last edited by ShiroKuro; 04/14/22 02:48 PM.

Started piano June 1999.
Proud owner of a Yamaha C2

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
8000 Post Club Member
8000 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by terminaldegree
There is one particular store in that area (and I think we're talking about the same one) that seems to spam the heck out of all the local Craigslists and Pianomart. I have not visited there, because I don't like their method of guerrilla advertising, and many of their listings are "by owner" when it is very obvious it is a storefront or "by dealer". Also, the pictures are of pianos in various houses and the ads have odd keywords or "tics" about their listings that make me suspicious.

BTW agree with these comments as well. I really dislike the smokescreen. The guy is a piano dealer, he should just be upfront about it.

And yes, he always says the same things and recycles the comments, one is something like "this isn't just a piece of furniture anymore."

Started piano June 1999.

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
Online Content
Originally Posted by ShiroKuro
Originally Posted by terminaldegree

BTW agree with these comments as well. I really dislike the smokescreen. The guy is a piano dealer, he should just be upfront about it.

And yes, he always says the same things and recycles the comments, one is something like "this isn't just a piece of furniture anymore."

I've mentioned this same dealer/seller here before, regarding all the Craigslist ads for used pianos he has, plus Facebook and others. As for the ads for pianos that appear to be in private homes, I think he owns some of the homes where the pianos are located. This is hearsay, because I was told by someone else, but I was told by an acquaintance of his that he owns several homes in and around the Lilburn area, mostly used for housing and storing all the pianos he has. He has hundreds, and possibly thousands of used pianos for sale, although he may work out of a couple of primary warehouse locations.

Also, FWIW, he's been in business for a long time, and does long-distance piano moving, and international sales, primarily Europe. And, to give credit where credit is due, he's a very good pianist (some of his YT ads shows him playing the pianos he is advertising).

Not sure this helps, but I hope it does...

Rick

Piano enthusiast and amateur musician: "Treat others the way you would like to be treated". Yamaha C7. YouTube Channel
R
Rhailey Offline OP
OP Offline
R
Thanks everyone; this confirms what I was thinking. Too bad that this person essentially monopolizes the piano mart searches.

I’ll check out piano works!

8000 Post Club Member
8000 Post Club Member
Hey Rick, thanks for those comments. I think it sort of puts it in perspective, that it's complicated.

And as I wrote above, "he really does have pianos for sale, and if you buy a piano from him, you will get a piano." Whether any of us wants to do business with him or not is a separate question.

BTW now I'm curious, I'll have to see if I can find some of his videos!

Started piano June 1999.

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
8000 Post Club Member
8000 Post Club Member
Best of luck to you Rhailey, keep us posted on how your search goes! smile

Started piano June 1999.

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
Online Content
Hey Rick, thanks for those comments. I think it sort of puts it in perspective, that it's complicated.

And as I wrote above, "he really does have pianos for sale, and if you buy a piano from him, you will get a piano." Whether any of us wants to do business with him or not is a separate question.

BTW now I'm curious, I'll have to see if I can find some of his videos!

Hi Dr. ShiroKuro! I've seen many of the guy's piano ads, and the videos where he's playing the piano he's advertising for sale. Of course, many piano dealers do that, whether they are playing themselves or one of their associates. He used to use the Vimeo videos a lot in his ads, and may still have some on his dealer website. But he can play well, in my opinion... way better than me, but that doesn't take much. smile

All the best!

Rick

Piano enthusiast and amateur musician: "Treat others the way you would like to be treated". Yamaha C7. YouTube Channel

Platinum Supporter until December 31, 2022
9000 Post Club Member

9000 Post Club Member
What's the world coming to when a local yocal can't flip a few pianos? wink

Search US techs by Zip Code
“If it sounds good, it IS good.” ― Duke Ellington!

B
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
B
Rhailey

When you go to Pianoworks - if you meet Sam Bennett, tell him that many people on pianoworks
recommended them!
Check out YouTube videos of Derek Vann playing some of their rebuilds!

Also, a little up the road in North Carolina in HENDERSONVILLE is another great family owned Piano Showroom
FREEBURG Pianos - is a great place and LEVI and his family Keith & Joanne are fantastic to deal with.

https://freeburgpianos.com/

Tell LEVI - Joey sent you ok?

PS I purchased my Steinway Model A rebuilt from 1912 - it's everything one wishes for in a rebuilt from the Golden Age.

brdwyguy

Last edited by brdwyguy; 04/15/22 06:39 PM.

1961-1964: Emerson Upright
1969-1992: Westbrook Spinet
1992-2021: Schomacker B (1912) "Schoowie"
2021-Present: Steinway Model A (1912) "Amalia"

To Listen to my Music is to know me. To know me all you need do is listen to my music.
8000 Post Club Member
8000 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by Retsacnal

(I know you're joking but) it's way more than a "few" pianos!

smh...

whome

Started piano June 1999.

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

9000 Post Club Member

9000 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by Retsacnal

(I know you're joking but) it's way more than a "few" pianos!

smh...

whome

A few per day...? whome

Is this the "Yamaha with a Steinway bench" guy?

Search US techs by Zip Code
“If it sounds good, it IS good.” ― Duke Ellington!

S
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
S
I think I saw a Young Chang with a Yamaha bench… I was kinda scratching my head about that…

The title of the advert is ‘one Atlanta owner grand piano with Yamaha C7 bench.’ And then you open the advert and it’s for a Young Chang G200. Seems a little misleading to me… who buys a piano because of the bench?

Last edited by Sgisela; 04/15/22 10:01 PM.
M
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
M
+1 for Piano Works and Sam Bennett and Derrick. Great guys with great pianos.

The other seller goes by A440 Pianos and the man's name is Pascal. I wouldn't buy a piano from him EVER. He's been in trouble with the law before too from what I understand about ivory imports. Also, for example:

https://arioso7.wordpress.com/2010/12/10/funeral-for-a-cracked-plate-piano-caveat-emptor/

The other two Atlanta stores that I would say are 'ok" are England Piano (Kawai dealer) and Piano Distributors (Yamaha). Personally I don't like Cooper pianos. It has a used car dealer vibe.

Again, I would just go talk to Sam at Piano Works if you didn't find something used (and that's a whole other conversation!)

Marcus Valdes

6000 Post Club Member
Online Content
6000 Post Club Member
Oh, that guy. I answered one of his ads about 10 years ago when I was looking for a good core piano to rebuild. I was sort of a hobby rebuilder back then. He had lots of good candidates, some really interesting pianos that would have been fun to rebuild. But they were all priced too high for me. He had a house and a storage building full of pianos.

The reason he advertises a name brand bench with his pianos is that when you search for a Yamaha or Steinway, his advertisement will come up, even though it is a Young Chang or an Ivers and Pond or whatever. That tactic tells you all you need to know...

Sam

Back to School at 62: How I earned a BM degree in Piano Performance/Piano Pedagogy in my retirement!
ABF Online Recitals
ABF Recital Index

Moderated by  Gombessa, Piano World, platuser 

Link Copied to Clipboard
What's Hot!!
Piano World Has Been Sold!
--------------------
Forums RULES, Terms of Service & HELP
(updated 06/06/2022)
---------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
(ad)
(ad)
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Recommended Songs for Beginners
by FreddyM - 04/16/24 03:20 PM
New DP for a 10 year old
by peelaaa - 04/16/24 02:47 PM
Estonia 1990
by Iberia - 04/16/24 11:01 AM
Very Cheap Piano?
by Tweedpipe - 04/16/24 10:13 AM
Practical Meaning of SMP
by rneedle - 04/16/24 09:57 AM
Forum Statistics
Forums43
Topics223,391
Posts3,349,282
Members111,634
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations |

Advertise on Piano World
| Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map

Copyright © VerticalScope Inc. All Rights Reserved.
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission