2022 our 25th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

Shop our online store for music lovers
SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Pianoteq
Steinway Spiro Layering
(ad)
Piano Life Saver - Dampp Chaser
Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver
(ad)
Wessell Nickel & Gross
PianoForAll
Who's Online Now
75 members (80k, anotherscott, Animisha, 36251, axomas, Anevsky, BMKE, AndreaH, Adem, 14 invisible), 4,544 guests, and 270 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
(ad)
Estonia Pianos
Estonia Pianos
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 2 1 2
Gold Subscriber
Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member
Gold Subscriber
Originally Posted by Sidokar
Originally Posted by pianoloverus
My guess is that a surprisingly high percentage of buyers would be willing to pay a lower price even if they could not try out the piano. I think the typical buyer is not like the typical PW poster.

Yes, thats possible. I would see that more in the digital piano area; once you have chosen the model you want, you can order it anywhere, including online.

The acoustic piano business is shrinking in the US. There were over 100,000 acoustic piano sold at the turn of the century down to about 20,000 in 2020 of which 6,000 grands. So, for those, I would think dealers should be more flexible and open to any opportunity. The digital pianos business is in expansion.

I believe those sales statistics reflect new pianos only. As the price of new pianos increases, don’t you see some expansion in preowned pianos being sold?

"Music, rich, full of feeling, not soulless, is like a crystal on which the sun falls and brings forth from it a whole rainbow" - F. Chopin
"I never dreamt with my own two hands I could touch the sky" - Sappho

It's ok to be a Work In Progress
A
Silver Supporter until Feb 1 2020
Silver Supporter until Feb 1 2020
A
I also see pianos for sale at Costco, at special displays at the front of the store every few months. I think those are part of travelling road shows where big dealers or distributors move from store to store and sell their goods. There are pianos on display and customers can play them. There is a salesman who can also demonstrate the piano. I understand Costco's policy is that the dealer or distributor gives a significant discount on the list price of the piano (good value to the Costco customer is a must), and pays Costco either a commission or a display fee or both.

The customer buys the piano by model number and color and pays Costco. The piano (not the one in the store) is shipped to the customer's home with whatever setup is included in the price. Not sure, but probably Costco guarantees satisfaction and will refund the purchase price if the customer is not happy with the purchase. There may be a time limit. Costco is famous for its very generous refund policy. Of course, Costco would do a chargeback to the dealer or distributor including the shipping costs.

I have no idea how successful these sales are, but I have seen them fairly regularly at our local Costco, so they have to be beneficial to all parties. Given the huge number of customers who shop at Costco and would see the displays, there would be a much higher volume of people who at least stop to ask questions and listen, and maybe even play than a typical piano store gets. So the discounted price made up in volume of sales makes a lot of sense. Costco benefits because it has no inventory risk and probably gets some up front money no matter what the sales are.

Last edited by astrotoy; 04/04/22 03:31 PM.

Boesendorfer 225 (1985)
Yamaha S400E (predecessor to CF4) Disklavier (1992)
S
3000 Post Club Member
Online Content
3000 Post Club Member
S
Originally Posted by dogperson
I believe those sales statistics reflect new pianos only. As the price of new pianos increases, don’t you see some expansion in preowned pianos being sold?

The sales statistics I have seen do not say explicitely if that is new or new and used. What is certain is that the considerable amount of available used pianos necessarily limits the number of new piano being sold. And the stats cant take into account the transactions between individuals. By comparison in China where there is very few used pianos the market of new pianos is booming (60,000/year). Nonetheless there is no doubt that the digital pianos are taking over. I have seen a number of 188,000 units sold in 2020 in US.

Blüthner model 6

Platinum Supporter until December 31, 2022
8000 Post Club Member
Online Content

8000 Post Club Member

Last edited by Piano World; 04/05/22 09:23 AM.
OP Online Content
What does that thread say? When I try to access it, I get "Warning, potential security risk!" so I don't want to open it.

8000 Post Club Member
Online Content

8000 Post Club Member
What does that thread say? When I try to access it, I get "Warning, potential security risk!" so I don't want to open it.

Funny you say that, because I got a warning too. Since it was a PW link, I just bypassed it and got to the thread. But it was a little odd. And now that I look it it, it looks like Google is trying to make it an https link, instead of http (the "s" variant for secure). I think the warning is because the explicit link says it's https[ecure], but the server responds with http.

Anyway, I found the thread through Google, but now that I know where it is (it's about a year old), it was easy to re-find through PW's interface. So here's another PW-native link to the post:

http://forums.pianoworld.com/ubbthr...-piano-dealer-etiquette.html#Post3085411

Or, here's the post I was referencing:

Originally Posted by Steve Cohen
What applies here is the "Threshold Rule", a clause in the overwhelming majority of dealer agreements. It prohibits an authorized dealer from quoting prices until the shopper has physically crossed the threshold of the store. This includes telephone, email, text messaging, etc.

How to Upload Pictures
“If it sounds good, it IS good.” ― Duke Ellington!

Founder - Owner - Host
6000 Post Club Member
Founder - Owner - Host
6000 Post Club Member
It was a mixed issue.
The root forum site is forum.pianoworld.com, not forums.pianoworld.com
Then there's the ongoing issue of the images not being at https.

Changing the entire forums over to https would require finding every image and changing it's link to https.
There are tens of thousands of them.

- Frank B.
Founder / Owner / Host
PianoWorld.com
www.PianoSupplies.com
Maple Street Music Shop
Find Us On:
Facebook.com/PianoWorldDotCom
www.youtube.com/PianoWorldDotCom
www.linkedin.com/in/pianoworld
My Keyboards:
Estonia L-190, Yamaha P-80, Harpsichord (kit), Bilhorn Telescope Organ c 1880, Antique Pump Organ, 1850 concertina, 3 digital pianos
-------------------------
It's Fun To Play the Piano ... PLEASE Pass It On!
Please invite every piano enthusiast you know to join our piano forums!

E
E
Making an OT reply from the thread, but first of all thank you for what you do and especially for popping into random threads like this to respond to issues. There may be someone in the community who can help with this? A script could ferret out the offending images and handle the changeover— the order of 10s of thousands, I know I don’t have to tell you, is a pretty manageable task for a machine to handle. I’m a designer, not a developer, so can’t offer much more help than this, but it might be a quick rainy day project for a developer who feels like giving back (maybe over in the DP forums hee hee).

Just putting that out there; I’m sure you already have a big stack of rainy day projects smile.

E
E
I had one dealer who satisfied the threshold rule by just doing a conversation over FaceTime. Once he was comfortable that I was a real, serious customer, all pricing info and availability came over text.

I have always found the “come in and we’ll talk” method a bit off-putting, old-school, and car-salesman-like. Alas, I ended up buying from a dealer who did just that— they had the best price In the end.

OP Online Content
Originally Posted by Retsacnal
What applies here is the "Threshold Rule", a clause in the overwhelming majority of dealer agreements. It prohibits an authorized dealer from quoting prices until the shopper has physically crossed the threshold of the store. This includes telephone, email, text messaging, etc.
I think that answers the question in my OP definitively. Unfortunately, some dealers don't abide by the dealer agreements(and possibly a tiny percent don't have the threshold clause in their agreements).

8000 Post Club Member
Online Content

8000 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by Piano World
Changing the entire forums over to https would require ...

For me, this remains a non-issue. I know it "flares up" from time to time, but I still have no problem with PW remaining http. Browsers are becoming more alarmist, and a certain hegemonic search engine is trying to force the whole internet to https, but it's not necessary for a site like PW (IMO).

How to Upload Pictures

8000 Post Club Member
Online Content

8000 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by Retsacnal
I think that answers the question in my OP definitively. Unfortunately, some dealers don't abide by the dealer agreements(and possibly a tiny percent don't have the threshold clause in their agreements).

I thought it would (remembering the recent thread).

Of course, some individuals may play "looser" with the rules. That's human nature I suppose.

How to Upload Pictures

G
6000 Post Club Member
6000 Post Club Member
G

Not to stir up, but I wonder if there's backup for the "overwhelming majority" claim...and even if it is, this rule strikes me as something made for an offline, pre-internet world. When it comes to "advertising," I would expect there's a pretty sizable body of case law diving into what constitutes public advertising (versus directed price offers or negotiations), what a threshold is, whether you can satisfy the rule virtually, or if it even applies to MOTO/internet distance sales, for example if a buyer initiates a negotiation over the phone. I do think manufacturers have a vested interest in maintaining price controls, but I don't know that I've seen enough here to conclude that such a rule is de rigeuer or that it's a given that dealers are outright flauting it in breach of contract.

Bosendorfer D214VC ENPro
Past: Yamaha P-85, P-105, CP50, Kawai MP11, Kawai NV-10
OP Online Content
Originally Posted by Gombessa

Not to stir up, but I wonder if there's backup for the "overwhelming majority" claim...and even if it is, this rule strikes me as something made for an offline, pre-internet world. When it comes to "advertising," I would expect there's a pretty sizable body of case law diving into what constitutes public advertising (versus directed price offers or negotiations), what a threshold is, whether you can satisfy the rule virtually, or if it even applies to MOTO/internet distance sales, for example if a buyer initiates a negotiation over the phone. I do think manufacturers have a vested interest in maintaining price controls, but I don't know that I've seen enough here to conclude that such a rule is de rigeuer or that it's a given that dealers are outright flaunting it in breach of contract.
The person quoted on this from the other thread is a major piano industry person and knows what he is talking about. He did indicate that it's possible that a few dealer contracts might not have the "threshold rule". The reason which I previously stated for the threshold rule is pretty obvious, and the rule is reasonable and well thought out IMO.

Page 2 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  Ken Knapp, Piano World 

Link Copied to Clipboard
(ad)
Best of Piano Buyer
Piano Buyer - Read the Articles, Explore the website
(ad)
PianoDisc

PianoDisc
(ad)
Faust Harrison Pianos
Faust Harrison 100+ Steinway pianos
(ad)
Mason & Hamlin Pianos
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Beginner digital piano buying advice
by pianist2022 - 07/03/22 02:10 PM
Next Repertoire Pieces for my Student?
by RepertoireHunter - 07/03/22 01:58 PM
Piano bench too uncomfortable
by lorez - 07/03/22 11:10 AM
Small high end grands
by AndreaH - 07/03/22 08:50 AM
Historial orchestral sight reading
by boo1234 - 07/03/22 08:23 AM
Download Sheet Music
Virtual Sheet Music - Classical Sheet Music Downloads
What's Hot!!
FREE June Newsletter is Here!
--------------------
Forums RULES, Terms of Service & HELP
(updated 06/06/2022)
-------------------
Music Store Going Out of Business Sale!
---------------------
Mr. PianoWorld's Original Composition
---------------------
Sell Your Piano on our world famous Piano Forums!
---------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
-------------------
ADVERTISE on Piano World
Forum Statistics
Forums43
Topics213,791
Posts3,205,155
Members105,708
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010
Please Support Our Advertisers

Faust Harrison 100+ Steinways

Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver

Best of Piano Buyer

PianoTeq Bechstein
Visit our online store for gifts for music lovers

Virtual Sheet Music - Classical Sheet Music Downloads

Help keep the forums up and running with a donation, any amount is appreciated!
Or by becoming a Subscribing member! Thank-you.
Donate   Subscribe

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations | Pianos For Sale | Sell Your Piano |

Advertise on Piano World
| Subscribe | Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map | Free Newsletter | MapleStreetMusicShop.com - Our store in Cornish Maine

© copyright 1997 - 2022 Piano World ® all rights reserved
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission