2022 our 25th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

Shop our online store for music lovers
SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Pianoteq
Steinway Spiro Layering
(ad)
Piano Life Saver - Dampp Chaser
Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver
(ad)
Wessell Nickel & Gross
PianoForAll
Who's Online Now
37 members (Carey, brennbaer, 0day, Christopher90, Alex Hutor, AndrewJCW, 8 invisible), 723 guests, and 227 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
(ad)
Estonia Pianos
Estonia Pianos
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
A
Ajax69 Offline OP
OP Offline
A
Hi all.

I might be selling my Kawai CS11 and could use some help with what price level is reasonable for a private sale.

I bought the piano new late 2019 and it's been sitting in my living room and played by me only since then. No kids, no cats. I'd say it's in mint condition = as new (externally).

I payed just over (the equivalent of) USD 4.000 when I bought it. I'm in Sweden, Europe.

Thank's for any tips.

Last edited by Ajax69; 03/28/22 07:14 AM.

Peter
--------------------------------
Yamaha U1 / Kawai CS11 / Kawai ES-120 / Hammond XK-3c
Working on: PCA Beginner Course and
Tim Richards - Improvising Blues Piano
Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member
Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member
Hello,

I'm certainly not in the know, when it comes to pre-owned/used digital piano prices, but I have been looking at used digital pianos for sale a lot lately. That said, I've noticed that used DP prices seem high to me, most of time, when compared to a new one of the same make and model.

In fact, many of the used DPs I've seen listed for sale on eBay, Craigslist, Facebook Marketplace, and the online music gear retailers, who sell used equipment, the prices seem pretty high; again, compared to new.

You could do a Google search of used Kawai CS11s for sale and get a pretty good idea. Since yours is like new, maybe find the best price for a new one, and discount that price maybe 10% or 20%?

You could also advertise it for sale at a moderate discount from new, and see what kind of response you get, if any at all. If not much response, then lower your price in small increments.

I think the price of most everything is higher these days, new and used.

Good luck!

Rick

Piano enthusiast and amateur musician: "Treat others the way you would like to be treated". Yamaha C7. YouTube Channel
A
Ajax69 Offline OP
OP Offline
A
Thanks Rick.

I'll do just that!

/ Stay safe!

Peter
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
Given that i too have a seldom-used DP for sale, i can relate to your situation.

Simply from having read at PW for years, ive noticed that used items in Europe generally are said to sell at higher price than in America. While i am unsure why, i suspect it has something to do with Europeans be less programmed into the disposable-society mentality. Regardless of the reason, being somewhere in Europe versus America could be to your advantage.

No matter where in the world we live, it is to both our advantage that the world economy is what it currently is. Regardless of the actual reasons short and or delayed supplies of new goods, this makes it an especially good time to be selling used goods.

If you live near an urban center IE. lots if people nearby, this too will be an advantage for selling used stuff.

Lastly, have you tried to be objective about your used DP? Pretend you are somebody else; how much might you pay for a used, former higher-end DP, well cared for but no warranty? Is there at least one well-reputed DP service shop nearby? If there isn’t, would you reconsider/lower how much you might pay for a used DP that will be difficult to have serviced IF something goes wrong?

Good luck.

- Kawai MP7 and LSR308 monitors
- Roland HP-508
- DT770 Pro-80 and MDR-7506 phones
A
Ajax69 Offline OP
OP Offline
A
Thanks drewr. Good points. I'll consider those.

There's actually an identical used CS11 for sale rather close to me. It's priced at USD 3.147 in a private sale. I'll keep an eye on that and see how it goes.

I also contacted my music store (Steinway Gallery Stockholm) where I bought mine, to see if they have any interest in re-selling it for me.

And good luck to you too!

Peter
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by Rickster
You could do a Google search of used Kawai CS11s for sale and get a pretty good idea. Since yours is like new, maybe find the best price for a new one, and discount that price maybe 10% or 20%?

You could also advertise it for sale at a moderate discount from new, and see what kind of response you get, if any at all. If not much response, then lower your price in small increments.

I think another factor when pricing used, once you get past “how used is it?” is “how old is the model?”. For instance, MP7 was superseded by SE 6 years ago. This means i have a lightly-used older model. I think CS11 is also an older model.

My starting “asking price” was 50% below what i paid new-in-box. I got 1 total inquiry, on craigslist, but i suspect this had more to do with being in a sparsely populated market and a somewhat shoddy operation of a small-market-craigslist affiliate.

YMMV

Last edited by drewr; 03/28/22 03:48 PM.

- Kawai MP7 and LSR308 monitors
- Roland HP-508
- DT770 Pro-80 and MDR-7506 phones
A
Ajax69 Offline OP
OP Offline
A
Originally Posted by drewr
Originally Posted by Rickster

I think another factor when pricing used, once you get past “how used is it?” is “how old is the model?”. For instance, MP7 was superseded by SE 6 years ago. This means i have a lightly-used older model. I think CS11 is also an older model.

My starting “asking price” was 50% below what i paid new-in-box. I got 1 total inquiry, on craigslist, but i suspect this had more to do with being in a sparsely populated market and a somewhat shoddy operation of a small-market-craigslist affiliate.

YMMV

So true. I was planning on 50% of new price to start with. But given present delivery problems on new products I might try and stretch that up a little... wink

Peter
3000 Post Club Member
3000 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by Ajax69
Hi all.

I might be selling my Kawai CS11 and could use some help with what price level is reasonable for a private sale.

I bought the piano new late 2019 and it's been sitting in my living room and played by me only since then. No kids, no cats. I'd say it's in mint condition = as new (externally).

I payed just over (the equivalent of) USD 4.000 when I bought it. I'm in Sweden, Europe.

Thank's for any tips.

Best check eBay for sold listings. The way you've looked after the instrument matters. If it's looking a bit worn and you've used it a lot, it's going to be more at the lower end of the spectrum. If you play infrequently and it's looking great still---and you keep it in a smoke-free pet free home, you can set the price closer to the upper end.

Instruments......Kawai MP7SE.............................................(Past - Kawai MP7, Yamaha PSR7000)
Software..........Sibelius 7; Neuratron Photoscore Pro 8
Stand...............K&M 18953 Table-style Stage Piano Stand
Piano stool.......K&M 14093 Piano stool

Moderated by  Piano World 

Link Copied to Clipboard
(ad)
Best of Piano Buyer
Piano Buyer - Read the Articles, Explore the website
(ad)
PianoDisc

PianoDisc
(ad)
Faust Harrison Pianos
Faust Harrison 100+ Steinway pianos
(ad)
Mason & Hamlin Pianos
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Boston UP-118S opinions
by skern49 - 08/08/22 10:22 PM
OT-ish: what kind of Yamaha is this?
by ShiroKuro - 08/08/22 06:53 PM
Crack on soundboard
by phucahwa - 08/08/22 05:43 PM
Cage:Sonatas and Interludes
by pianoloverus - 08/08/22 05:31 PM
Bluetooth Pedal - page turner
by danno858 - 08/08/22 04:00 PM
Download Sheet Music
Virtual Sheet Music - Classical Sheet Music Downloads
What's Hot!!
FREE June Newsletter is Here!
--------------------
Forums RULES, Terms of Service & HELP
(updated 06/06/2022)
-------------------
Music Store Going Out of Business Sale!
---------------------
Mr. PianoWorld's Original Composition
---------------------
Sell Your Piano on our world famous Piano Forums!
---------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
-------------------
ADVERTISE on Piano World
Forum Statistics
Forums43
Topics214,303
Posts3,214,910
Members106,036
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010
Please Support Our Advertisers

Faust Harrison 100+ Steinways

Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver

Best of Piano Buyer

PianoTeq Bechstein
Visit our online store for gifts for music lovers

Virtual Sheet Music - Classical Sheet Music Downloads

Help keep the forums up and running with a donation, any amount is appreciated!
Or by becoming a Subscribing member! Thank-you.
Donate   Subscribe

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations | Pianos For Sale | Sell Your Piano |

Advertise on Piano World
| Subscribe | Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map | Free Newsletter | MapleStreetMusicShop.com - Our store in Cornish Maine

© copyright 1997 - 2022 Piano World ® all rights reserved
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission