2022 our 25th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Who's Online Now
36 members (Davidnewmind, Dfrankjazz, brdwyguy, busa, benkeys, Burkhard, Erinmarriott, David Boyce, 20/20 Vision, 5 invisible), 1,131 guests, and 293 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
#3203245 03/23/22 07:34 AM
L
LELES Offline OP
OP Offline
L
The MP7es model currently has the same contact tape as the new es920 or continues with the same old one that presented many problems. I want to buy an MP7es, but I am very recessed regarding this problem that many people report.
I appreciate it right now.

Tog Online Content
Online Content
Hi Leles,

Both of the models you mention use the Kawai Responsive Hammer III action which is a folded plastic action and as such does not feature any 'slip tape' in its construction (do not confuse this with the similarly named RM3 Grand II action).

Apart from the MP11SE that uses the original Grand Feel action with 'slip tape' and the VPC1 midi controller which uses their RM3 Grand II action with 'slip tape' all of their current models use modified designs that do not use 'slip tape' in their construction and it is therefore unnecessary to worry about this non-issue (see Kawai's own website for further information!).

Hope this helps.

Kind regards,

Tog

Standard: Absolute beginner. Currently butchering Bach BWV846!
Kit: Kawai MP11SE; Focal Alpha 80 monitors (pair); the original REL 'Storm' Sub-woofer from the early 1990's ( manufactured by BK Electronics Ltd on behalf of REL); Roland Z-Stand; generic studio style speaker stands; HP Grado SR60
L
LELES Offline OP
OP Offline
L
Maybe I didn't use the right terms. I actually read that the mp7se had problems in the keys, as well as the es8 but that this was fixed in es920. But I wonder if it has also been corrected in the mp7es manufactured in recent years.

C
4000 Post Club Member
4000 Post Club Member
C
There's the "sensor tape". People usually call it "sensor strip".

There were some changes made to the whole sensor assembly including the printed circuit board and the silicone sensor strip. Apparently some repaired ES8 units got the new ones (based on what somebody reported on the forum) and probably Kawai is now using the new design for any new devices, but I don't really know that myself.

Tog Online Content
Online Content
Hi Leles,

That I am unable to help you with but remember that all forums tend to have a negative bias as people are more likely to post about problems and faults than they are to say that they are happy and satisfied. From reading this forum all manufacturers' have some faulty items of manufacture at times. What is important is how the local retailer and distributor deal with those faults.

I notice that you live in Brazil so have no personal experience of your local market as I'm based in the UK but perhaps Kawai James maybe able to comment further.

Finally, Kawai's marketing department (alongside many others) have produced a number of confusingly similar names for their actions and products over the years but this is fairly typical of all marketing departments for any product!

Kind regards.

Tog

Kit: Kawai MP11SE; Focal Alpha 80 monitors (pair); the original REL 'Storm' Sub-woofer from the early 1990's ( manufactured by BK Electronics Ltd on behalf of REL); Roland Z-Stand; generic studio style speaker stands; HP Grado SR60
A
2000 Post Club Member
2000 Post Club Member
A
Originally Posted by LELES
The MP7es model currently has the same contact tape as the new es920 or continues with the same old one that presented many problems. I want to buy an MP7es, but I am very recessed regarding this problem that many people report.
I appreciate it right now.

If you're talking about the famous keybed issue of ES8 and MP7SE, that's a long-gone and resolved issue. It was an issue in the early release of these keyboards but not anymore.

There hasn't been a single report regarding MP7SE keybed issue, so go ahead with you purchase.

L
LELES Offline OP
OP Offline
L
Thank you all very much, I'm more relaxed to make the purchase. Tog mentioned that I live in Brazil, yes I live here. And you know costs an MP7es here? $3, 500 dollars. Here we always pay twice the amount of Europe and USA. One MP11es They cost an incredible $7, 000 dollars. It's even unbelieving.

Last edited by LELES; 03/23/22 12:10 PM.
Tog Online Content
Online Content
Hi Leles,

Glad that you are more relaxed about making a substantial purchase.

It is all too easy for those of us fortunate to live in the 'developed' world to assume that everyone else enjoys the same advantages. It is not unusual in less 'developed' countries for governments to impose punitive rates of duty and tax on non-essential goods and services, frequently doubling or more their true cost.

In South Africa in the 1970s and 80s, during the arpartheid sanction era, this was also the case and as a former photographic retailer our SA customers would throw away all their packaging and didn't bother reclaiming UK sales tax (VAT) in order to make it look like they were returning with used equipment that they had already owned when they had left SA on holiday to try and avoid the punitive import duties!

Not really an option with a digital piano!!

Hope you enjoy your purchase for many years to come.

Kind regards,

Tog

Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member
Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member
I believe this topic has already been answered, however all current generation Kawai instruments featuring the RHIII action use the same redesigned key sensors.

Kind regards,
James
x

Employed by Kawai Japan, however the opinions I express are my own.
Nord Electro 3 & occasional rare groove player.

Link Copied to Clipboard
What's Hot!!
Piano World Has Been Sold!
--------------------
Forums RULES, Terms of Service & HELP
(updated 06/06/2022)
---------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
(ad)
(ad)
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Country style lessons
by Stephen_James - 04/16/24 06:04 AM
How Much to Sell For?
by TexasMom1 - 04/15/24 10:23 PM
Song lyrics have become simpler and more repetitive
by FrankCox - 04/15/24 07:42 PM
New bass strings sound tubby
by Emery Wang - 04/15/24 06:54 PM
Forum Statistics
Forums43
Topics223,385
Posts3,349,183
Members111,631
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations |

Advertise on Piano World
| Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map

Copyright © VerticalScope Inc. All Rights Reserved.
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission