2022 our 25th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

Shop our online store for music lovers
SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Pianoteq
Steinway Spiro Layering
(ad)
Piano Life Saver - Dampp Chaser
Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver
(ad)
Wessell Nickel & Gross
PianoForAll
Who's Online Now
46 members (Alex C, Dariusz D, axomas, CraiginNZ, Damien PG, Andrew E., Ciferz, butchkoch, Catlady, BlackKnight, 8 invisible), 812 guests, and 232 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
(ad)
Estonia Pianos
Estonia Pianos
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
2000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
2000 Post Club Member
I use Alfred's complete book of scales, chords, arpeggios & cadences. For C major two-octave arpeggios they show different fingerings for the root position, 1st inversion and 2nd inversion. This is for the right hand.

Root position, starting with F1 on C: 1 2 3 1 2 3
First inversion, starting with F1 on E: 1 2 4 1 2 4
Second inversion, starting with F1 on G: 1 2 4 1 2 4

Personally, I prefer the fingering of the second inversion. The advantage is that the longest stretch (between G and C) is made by F1 and F2, and the thumb doesn't need to travel as far as in the official root position fingering.

My question is: Why do they (and others) teach this uncomfortable fingering for the root position and not the most comfortable fingering?

Playing the piano is learning to create, playfully and deeply seriously, our own music in the world.
... feeling like the pianist on the Titanic ...
(ad)
Piano & Music Accessories
piano accessories music gifts tuning and moving equipment
2000 Post Club Member
2000 Post Club Member
You can play using the 2nd inversion but then you will have one more position shift. The point of these different inversions is to start with the thumb on the lowest note and minimize the number of transitions.

Z
4000 Post Club Member
4000 Post Club Member
Z
If you try broken chords, as you should before learning arpeggios, the fingering should be pretty obvious. If you still don't get it, try playing the arpeggios or broken chords as block chords, playing all four fingers together.

Richard
2000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
2000 Post Club Member
PS Maybe I was not fully clear. If I would play a two-octave arpeggio starting on C, I would prefer to simply play 2 4 1 2 4 1 instead of 1 2 3 1 2 3.

So why is the uncomfortable fingering for the root position recommended?

Playing the piano is learning to create, playfully and deeply seriously, our own music in the world.
2000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
2000 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by Qazsedcft
You can play using the 2nd inversion but then you will have one more position shift. The point of these different inversions is to start with the thumb on the lowest note and minimize the number of transitions.

But what is the point of starting with the thumb on the lowest note? Why not start with F2 on the lowest note (see example above)?

Z
4000 Post Club Member
4000 Post Club Member
Z
Because it makes more sense when you include the octave with your fifth finger in standard chord playing...

Richard
2000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
2000 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by zrtf90
If you try broken chords, as you should before learning arpeggios, the fingering should be pretty obvious.

If you mean three note arpeggios, I have learned them well. I don't see how this relates to my question.

If you still don't get it, try playing the arpeggios or broken chords as block chords, playing all four fingers together.

Of course, when playing four note block chords (root position), you use fingers 1 2 3 5. But one of my points is that the thumb needs to travel far when playing long arpeggios using fingers 1 2 3, and that is not the case when practising four note blocked chords.
So, still the same question, why not play four note block chords in the way that is most comfortable for four note block chords, and long arpeggios in the way that is most comfortable for long arpeggios?

2000 Post Club Member
2000 Post Club Member
BTW, all white key arpeggios are the least comfortable and rather difficult to play properly. The best ones to learn proper arpeggio technique are the ones that have two black keys (A-flat major, D-flat major, E-flat major, F-sharp minor, G-sharp minor, C-sharp minor).

2000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
2000 Post Club Member
Because it makes more sense when you include the octave with your fifth finger in standard chord playing...

I don't see the point of letting the way blocked chords are played dictate the way in which long arpeggios are played. Each in its own best way, I would say.
But you may be correct in that this is the explanation of why they recommend this fingering for long arpeggios.

2000 Post Club Member
2000 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by Animisha
PS Maybe I was not fully clear. If I would play a two-octave arpeggio starting on C, I would prefer to simply play 2 4 1 2 4 1 instead of 1 2 3 1 2 3.

The standard fingering uses 5 at the top to have fewer transitions.

2000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
2000 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by Qazsedcft

The standard fingering uses 5 at the top to have fewer transitions.

Yes, that is true. My fingering is a bit more clumsy at the top: 2 4 1 2 4 1 2 1 4 2 1 4 2

Z
4000 Post Club Member
4000 Post Club Member
Z
The standard fingering will also be more useful when arpeggios are encountered in music without having to shift hands first. Scale and arpeggio fingerings aren't taught to make scales and arpeggios easier but to facilitate playing pieces.

Last edited by zrtf90; 03/05/22 08:08 AM.

Richard
2000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
2000 Post Club Member
I get it. Thank you! ­čÖĆ

Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member
Online Content
Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member
I think the fingering you don't like is chosen because it's easier to pass the thumb under F3 than under F4.

S
3000 Post Club Member
3000 Post Club Member
S
It is really a matter of practice and being used to. I dont find the 123 to be more difficult. But the main reason is that when you will increase speed, the thumb under is to a large extent replaced by a hand translation which is much more faster. In that situation keeping the 123 to play CEG is much more convenient than using 241.

That said and to make things more complicated, in fact with real music you may need, in some cases, to use a different fingering than the standard one, though as a beginner you probably wont encounter such cases. It is usefull to get used to use different fingering with various configurations.

Bl├╝thner model 6
2000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
2000 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by Sidokar
But the main reason is that when you will increase speed, the thumb under is to a large extent replaced by a hand translation which is much more faster. In that situation keeping the 123 to play CEG is much more convenient than using 241.

Hi Sidokar, what do you mean by "hand translation"?

S
3000 Post Club Member
3000 Post Club Member
S
But the main reason is that when you will increase speed, the thumb under is to a large extent replaced by a hand translation which is much more faster. In that situation keeping the 123 to play CEG is much more convenient than using 241.

It means that instead of passing your thumb under, you actually move your hand horizontally with a short jump. When the tempo is fast enough, it will sound like legato when in reality it is not. Of course when the tempo is really slow, you still need to do some form of thumb under in order to keep the legato, unless you use the pedal. There are plenty of videos on that. This one explains it quite well. You can also listen to Zhdanov arpeggio playing video for some more advanced tips.

Bl├╝thner model 6
2000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
2000 Post Club Member
Thank you! cool

N
4000 Post Club Member
4000 Post Club Member
N

It means that instead of passing your thumb under, you actually move your hand horizontally with a short jump. When the tempo is fast enough, it will sound like legato when in reality it is not.

1.This is a wonderful video with a terrible confusing title. The teacher must not only show correctly, but explain in words as accurately as possible - which in this case does not take place in the title. The real explanation is hidden between 227 comments. One wrong phrase - and a student can poke around at the piano for decades. The title should have been:
HOW NOT TO KEEP STATIC AND INTENSE THE THUMB UNDER THE PALM.

2.The pianist's hand and fingers must breathe; this means when the thumb comes under the palm, the distance between the fingers decreases naturally (in no case by intentional squeezing of the fingers).
- 0:26

- 5:22

Last edited by Nahum; 03/05/22 01:00 PM.
2000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
2000 Post Club Member
I have a follow-up question. How important is it to strictly follow the given fingering for finger 3 and finger 4 when playing long arpeggios?

Furthermore, I find that the given fingering is not the same everywhere. For instance, in Alfred's book F major 2nd inversion RH says 1 2 4 1 2 4 5 whereas a file that I downloaded from Piano Street says 1 2 3 1 2 3 5.

Can I choose which fingering suits my fingers like best, or is it important that I follow Alfred's fingering?

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Link Copied to Clipboard
(ad)
Best of Piano Buyer
Piano Buyer - Read the Articles, Explore the website
(ad)
PianoDisc

PianoDisc
(ad)
Faust Harrison Pianos
Faust Harrison 100+ Steinway pianos
(ad)
Mason & Hamlin Pianos
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Haessler
by PianistEsq - 07/06/22 12:05 AM
Garritan CFX sustain problem
by mwf - 07/05/22 11:29 PM
First digital piano for my almost 6 year-old son.
by New2music - 07/05/22 10:54 PM
What Level is this Arrangement?
by showard - 07/05/22 09:36 PM
which piano? or other options?
by NJ_Piano_Mom - 07/05/22 08:27 PM
Download Sheet Music
Virtual Sheet Music - Classical Sheet Music Downloads
What's Hot!!
FREE June Newsletter is Here!
--------------------
Forums RULES, Terms of Service & HELP
(updated 06/06/2022)
-------------------
Music Store Going Out of Business Sale!
---------------------
Mr. PianoWorld's Original Composition
---------------------
Sell Your Piano on our world famous Piano Forums!
---------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
-------------------
ADVERTISE on Piano World
Forum Statistics
Forums43
Topics213,823
Posts3,205,776
Members105,732
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010
Please Support Our Advertisers

Faust Harrison 100+ Steinways

Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver

Best of Piano Buyer

PianoTeq Bechstein
Visit our online store for gifts for music lovers

Virtual Sheet Music - Classical Sheet Music Downloads

Help keep the forums up and running with a donation, any amount is appreciated!
Or by becoming a Subscribing member! Thank-you.
Donate   Subscribe

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations | Pianos For Sale | Sell Your Piano |

Advertise on Piano World
| Subscribe | Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map | Free Newsletter | MapleStreetMusicShop.com - Our store in Cornish Maine

© copyright 1997 - 2022 Piano World ® all rights reserved
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission