2022 our 25th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Who's Online Now
29 members (Burkhard, AlkansBookcase, brennbaer, cmoody31, dh371, 20/20 Vision, admodios, 8 invisible), 1,230 guests, and 329 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 2 1 2
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by pianoloverus
Originally Posted by Rubens
Hamelin is known for occasionally playing very long encores, depending on his mood and inspiration. In addition to the aforementioned Op.111, he also once played the full Sonata D960 by Schubert as an encore! How silly and pretentious of him, right? You wouldn't want to be part of the unlucky audience that has to suffer one of those recitals, right?
Unnecessarily sarcastic.

Although I think this is too long for an encore, it's far better than the Rach 2 in the two piano version which sounds quite poor without orchestra. And the Schubert much greater music IMO.

Alright friend, I'll tone down the nastiness (for now) because I think there is actually potential for a fairly interesting side-conversation here.
First, about the two piano versions of concertos. I'd say it sounds worse in concertos where the orchestral part is more vital (e.g., Brahms 2). In the case of Rach, the piano part is self-sufficient enough to be played with satisfactory effect without an actual orchestra. Actually Libetta's intention was most likely to play the soloist part with no accompaniment at all. I don't think adding the 2nd piano made it sound much worse, although I'll admit the excitement of the 'spur of the moment' context makes up for the less than ideal combination.
About Schubert D960 being much greater music than Rach 2... Maybe. However, IMO in Schubert the final product is more 'performance-sensitive' (demands more musical skills from the performer IMO) than Rach. In the hands of a top tier performer, Schubert D960 > Rach 2, no doubt. But if the performance is just average, I'd actually find the Rach less of a chore to listen to.

Soli Chopin gloria
M
M
OK now my list:

1. Chopin Polonaise op.53
2. Rachmaninov: Lilacs, Prelude G-major 32/5 and D major 32/2
3. Couperin Le Tic Toc Chop
4. Debussy Clair de Lune
5. Scriabin 8/12 and 42/5
6. Schumann-Liszt Gretchen am Spinnrade
7. Ravel jeux d'eau
8. Bach-Siloti Prelude b minor

I can't stand Chopin Prelude in c# op post., as everyone and their gradma is playing it as an encore.

Personaly would like more often hear some Transcendental Etudes, Hungarian Rhapsodies, Paganini Etudes, Bach Toccatas, some heavy repertoire smile

B
BDB Offline
Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member
B
I heard Tomas Vasary play a concert of Kodaly pieces and sets of Brahms variations. He played Brahms' First Paganini Variations as a first encore, and the Second as a second, which were neatly divided by applause.

Semipro Tech
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
I think the reason some performers embark into long encores is not out of pretentiousness or for showing off, but more because they want to take advantage of the shift in mood that happens after the official program is done. The optional nature of the encore is a reassuring aspect . The performer can choose to play the piece or not, depending on how confident they are to play it well at that moment. This is a significant upside. Let's not forget that encores are generally prepared and practiced just like the official program is, despite their apparent 'spur of the moment-ness'. Only an idiot would think that the performer hasn't prepared most (if not all) of their encores beforehand!

Soli Chopin gloria
F
F
Egon Petri used to play Busoni's transcription of Mozart's Serenade from Don Giovanni as an encore. That's a piece I started learning myself.

https://www.youtube.com/@4ms (Music and hobbies)
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
Liszt's Sursum Corda is one of my favorite, especially in a large hall. Certainly not overplayed, which is a plus.

Soli Chopin gloria
Alright friend, I'll tone down the nastiness (for now) because I think there is actually potential for a fairly interesting side-conversation here
Another arrogant and obnoxious comment.
Actually Libetta's intention was most likely to play the soloist part with no accompaniment at all.
It's hard to believe this is a serious comment.

Last edited by pianoloverus; 02/14/22 11:06 PM.
D
3000 Post Club Member
3000 Post Club Member
D
Hamelin is known for occasionally playing very long encores, depending on his mood and inspiration. In addition to the aforementioned Op.111, he also once played the full Sonata D960 by Schubert as an encore! How silly and pretentious of him, right? You wouldn't want to be part of the unlucky audience that has to suffer one of those recitals, right?

It would be a privilege.

D
3000 Post Club Member
3000 Post Club Member
D
The encore(s) need to be considered in the context of the recital programme. After a Mozart recital, for instance, probably only Mozart would be possible. Or perhaps Bach.

After some programmes an encore is impossible and would break the mood. For example, after Winterreise. What could you play after Beethoven Op 109 - 110 - 111? Probably, nothing. Or perhaps, some Bach.

S
5000 Post Club Member
5000 Post Club Member
S
If one puts aside the exceptional cases, most pianists prepare a set of 2 or 3 encores in advance with the program. That is basically part of the program, so to speak. It is polite from the audience to ask for encores (would be really frustrating for the pianist if that wasnt the case ....) and polite for the performer to play a couple.

Personally in classical piano concerts I get saturated after 2 hours or 2,5 hours (but I have attended a few Wagner operas of 5 hours ....), so playing an additional 30 minutes of encore would be too much for me.

Blüthner model 6
M
M
Originally Posted by David-G

It would be a privilege.

It would be boring. I once attended MAH recital and by far it was the biggest disappointment it ever had on any classical concerto (so with orchestra or recital only).

Originally Posted by David-G
The encore(s) need to be considered in the context of the recital programme. After a Mozart recital, for instance, probably only Mozart would be possible. Or perhaps Bach.

After some programmes an encore is impossible and would break the mood. For example, after Winterreise. What could you play after Beethoven Op 109 - 110 - 111? Probably, nothing. Or perhaps, some Bach.
In general, I agree. But a long time ago I attended an all Mozart recital by Uchida. Her first encore was a short work by Schoenberg. After the Beethoven one could play a Beethoven Bagatelle. I have heard the last three Schubert Sonatas played in recital but can't remember if their were any encores or what they were.

If the last piece on a recital is a technical show piece, I don't think the first encore should be another show piece.

A
A
I once attended an unforgettable recital by violinist Dora Schwarzberg, and she played a whole hour of encores. Apparently, where she was performing (Valdres, Norway), it was normal to keep clapping and calling performers back onto the stage, but it didn't necessarily mean you were expected to play an encore each time. But she did. She is a heavy person, and at one point after walking out and then back onto the stage in slow steps, she told the audience something like, "We have many, many encores. So if you want to go home tonight, it's better that I stay here!" It was effectively a second recital. It was all really interesting and not very typical for violin encores- I remember Wagner's Albumblatt, Polka and Suite in the old style by Schnittke (whom she considers one of the greatest composers), and this moving Valse by Tchaikovsky.

"Love has to be the starting point- love of music. It is one of my firmest convictions that love always produces some knowledge, while knowledge only rarely produces something similar to love."
Arthur Schnabel

5000 Post Club Member
5000 Post Club Member
That sounds wonderful. I love Schnittke too.

B
BDB Offline
B
In the US, there are union rules and possibly community restrictions which will prevent encores from going on too long. Go too long, and you end up paying the crew penalty money.

Semipro Tech
2000 Post Club Member
2000 Post Club Member

SRF
P
P
What about the Rubenstein classic—
Falla’s Ritual Fire Dance!

D
3000 Post Club Member
3000 Post Club Member
D
The weirdest set of encores I ever heard were 5 of the 6 moments musicaux (Schubert) by Sokolov, everyone waited for nr.6 and then he dissappeared, haha.

Longtemps, je me suis couché de bonne heure, but not anymore!
Originally Posted by dolce sfogato
The weirdest set of encores I ever heard were 5 of the 6 moments musicaux (Schubert) by Sokolov, everyone waited for nr.6 and then he dissappeared, haha.
Even just 5 moments musicaux are weird.

Page 2 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  Brendan, platuser 

Link Copied to Clipboard
What's Hot!!
Piano World Has Been Sold!
--------------------
Forums RULES, Terms of Service & HELP
(updated 06/06/2022)
---------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
(ad)
(ad)
New Topics - Multiple Forums
How Much to Sell For?
by TexasMom1 - 04/15/24 10:23 PM
Song lyrics have become simpler and more repetitive
by FrankCox - 04/15/24 07:42 PM
New bass strings sound tubby
by Emery Wang - 04/15/24 06:54 PM
Pianodisc PDS-128+ calibration
by Dalem01 - 04/15/24 04:50 PM
Forum Statistics
Forums43
Topics223,384
Posts3,349,166
Members111,630
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations |

Advertise on Piano World
| Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map

Copyright © VerticalScope Inc. All Rights Reserved.
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission