2022 our 25th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

Shop our online store for music lovers
SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Pianoteq
Steinway Spiro Layering
(ad)
Piano Life Saver - Dampp Chaser
Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver
(ad)
Wessell Nickel & Gross
PianoForAll
Who's Online Now
45 members (80k, AJB, Braathen, Anevsky, Calavera, axomas, CraiginNZ, 11 invisible), 663 guests, and 261 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
(ad)
Estonia Pianos
Estonia Pianos
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
OP Offline
Hello, if I am able to speak in Russian is there any possibility I can study music in Russia, or do something in Russia so I can be closer to Russian classical like musicology or teaching english, or even doing something within STEM there and in my free time studying the music there?

I feel like there is a lot of good resources and interesting history there, and I would like to do there or if anyone has some examples or any ideas on where I could atleast visit there for some point to watch some stuff that'd be cool.

My gods are: Cortot, Horowitz, and Sofronitsky,

Started piano during COVID, hopefully I can play Rachmaninoff, Rubinstein, and Scriabin compositions one day...
2000 Post Club Member
2000 Post Club Member
I’m thinking it’s probably not the best time to go to Russia. 🤔

Lisa
Cunningham Studio Grand & Yamaha CLP645
S
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
S
PabloBear, I hate to bring this up, but have you been following the news about the current situation between Russia and Ukraine, and where the US stands in this? (I’m assuming you live in the US). This seems like a very bad time to contemplate a discretionary trip to Russia.

EbonyK - you posted before I got mine in!

Last edited by Sgisela; 02/23/22 08:46 PM.
Gold Subscriber
Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member
Gold Subscriber
Pablobear
You can answer some of your questions by doing a Google search for visa types and residency in Russia.
Others here can fill you in on the music schools.

"Music, rich, full of feeling, not soulless, is like a crystal on which the sun falls and brings forth from it a whole rainbow" - F. Chopin
"I never dreamt with my own two hands I could touch the sky" - Sappho

It's ok to be a Work In Progress
J
4000 Post Club Member
4000 Post Club Member
J
I would add to the advice not to travel to Russia right now. Of course, wars come and go and in normal times, it's perfectly possible for anybody to apply to a Russian conservatoire. Although the standard in the main conservatoires is extremely high, there are many other conservatoires and music schools in the country other than St Petersburg and Moscow. Even at St Petersburg and Moscow, it's sometimes possible to go and study on account of being able to afford the international fees.

That said, it's perfectly possible to find a Russian-trained piano teacher in pretty much every country in the world. There are many Russian trained teachers in the USA, UK, all over Europe, Canada, South America, and you'll get training based in that system.

Can I ask, what is it about the Russian system specifically that attracts you? It's a good system, it has produced many phenomenal pianists and phenomenal techniques. Here are some of the things about the Russian system of piano playing that I like:

1. It's systematic in terms of technique. You are first trained in strong fundamentals. You are actually taught how to move your arm and hand in an ergonomic way, and you begin by playing single note exercises on one finger, so that you get used to a neutral hand position used on each finger. At first, you learn how to play a good detached sound, before moving on to legato.

2. There's a strong emphasis on characterisation. You are trained in how to not just type the right notes, but how to characterise pieces. This begins in the very first lessons. If you can get yourself an English copy of Nikolayev's "The Russian School of Piano Playing" you'll see what I mean.

3. It doesn't move that fast in the beginning but it's very comprehensive. You move on when you're ready, and when you move on it doesn't feel difficult. There aren't big jumps from playing beginner repertoire to playing more advanced repertoire because the technique is introduced in small increments.

People look at Russian pianists and see this huge technique, and some onlookers believe it's some kind of magic or even a rushed job, but it's not. It's an extremely well thought out system, it's intensive and absorbing. If you follow the Russian system from beginner level and do it properly, you can be playing ABRSM grade 5 or 6 level pieces with no feeling of difficulty within about three years, which is actually quite fast.

There's a HUGE emphasis on scales and arpeggios and studies. Why don't you find that video documentary on Rosina Lhevine? It's on YouTube, and it's fascinating.

YAMAHA Artist
Gold Subscriber
Gold Subscriber
I would echo Mr. Fleetwood's suggestion that, at the current time and given the uncertainty of the situation in Russia, it might be much better - and easier in many ways - to look for a Russian-trained piano teacher in your area. I would think that would would certainly be the first step to take.

My teacher, for example, has three masters degrees (performance, pedagogy and collaborative piano) from the Rimsky-Korsakov Conservatory in St. Petersburg where she studied exclusively with well-known Russian teachers. Start looking locally for a Russian-trained teacher if you think that that is what you need and then expand your search horizon as necessary if the local market does not meet your needs.

Regards,

BruceD
- - - - -
Estonia 190
M
M
Despite Russia great artistry in all fields and lovely usual people, it is since hundreds of years country governed by different type of psychologically ill dicatorships (be it tsars, Lenin, Stalin, Putin). I truly hope they will be as isolated as North Korea.

The only downside is, that they are one of the major supplier of oil and gas.

Personally I would now take 20 nuclear bombs and throw on on Kremlin, second on the district where Putin lives, Third on his opulent palace in Crimea (look videos) and few others on his secret military important places like ports with submarines etc.

If anyone asks, I live in Poland.

C
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
C
I haven't looked, but I would think in this digital age where information is so freely available there would be online resources (books, videos, tutorials) on any subject, including Russian piano technique. It can't substitute in-person coaching but maybe it's enough to guide you.

A rising tide lifts all the boats
2000 Post Club Member
Online Content
2000 Post Club Member
Well before you go read Bill Broders book The Red Notice a true story of a corrupt government and the murder of a young man who would not give up on the truth.
https://www.amnesty.org/en/location/europe-and-central-asia/russian-federation/

My piano's voice is my voice to God and the great unknown universe, and to those I love.In other words a hymn.That is all, but that is enough.Life goes on, despite pain and fear.Music is beautiful,life is beautiful.

Ubu Offline
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
I dont share the view that going now to Russia is dangerous. If you say Ukraine, or any place near the borders, then yes, don't go there. But Rusia in general is as safe now as any other moment. No one is going to go to war against Rusia. Too big for that. USA won't attack Rusia unless they are 100% backed up by Europe. And Europe has a huge dependence on Russia for energetic resources. So there will be a few more weeks of tv noise, then all will calm down.

2000 Post Club Member
2000 Post Club Member
I am sure there are places online to discuss politics. But not here.

Ken

Hammond Organ Technician
Piano Torturer

Moderated by  Ken Knapp, Piano World 

Link Copied to Clipboard
(ad)
Best of Piano Buyer
Piano Buyer - Read the Articles, Explore the website
(ad)
PianoDisc

PianoDisc
(ad)
Faust Harrison Pianos
Faust Harrison 100+ Steinway pianos
(ad)
Mason & Hamlin Pianos
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Haessler
by PianistEsq - 07/06/22 12:05 AM
Garritan CFX sustain problem
by mwf - 07/05/22 11:29 PM
First digital piano for my almost 6 year-old son.
by New2music - 07/05/22 10:54 PM
What Level is this Arrangement?
by showard - 07/05/22 09:36 PM
which piano? or other options?
by NJ_Piano_Mom - 07/05/22 08:27 PM
Download Sheet Music
Virtual Sheet Music - Classical Sheet Music Downloads
What's Hot!!
FREE June Newsletter is Here!
--------------------
Forums RULES, Terms of Service & HELP
(updated 06/06/2022)
-------------------
Music Store Going Out of Business Sale!
---------------------
Mr. PianoWorld's Original Composition
---------------------
Sell Your Piano on our world famous Piano Forums!
---------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
-------------------
ADVERTISE on Piano World
Forum Statistics
Forums43
Topics213,823
Posts3,205,751
Members105,732
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010
Please Support Our Advertisers

Faust Harrison 100+ Steinways

Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver

Best of Piano Buyer

PianoTeq Bechstein
Visit our online store for gifts for music lovers

Virtual Sheet Music - Classical Sheet Music Downloads

Help keep the forums up and running with a donation, any amount is appreciated!
Or by becoming a Subscribing member! Thank-you.
Donate   Subscribe

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations | Pianos For Sale | Sell Your Piano |

Advertise on Piano World
| Subscribe | Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map | Free Newsletter | MapleStreetMusicShop.com - Our store in Cornish Maine

© copyright 1997 - 2022 Piano World ® all rights reserved
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission