2022 our 25th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

Shop our online store for music lovers
SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Pianoteq
Steinway Spiro Layering
(ad)
Piano Life Saver - Dampp Chaser
Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver
(ad)
Wessell Nickel & Gross
PianoForAll
Who's Online Now
69 members (Bill McKaig,RPT, BMKE, accordeur, 5stringbanjo, 0day, AJB, brennbaer, 10 invisible), 691 guests, and 291 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
(ad)
Estonia Pianos
Estonia Pianos
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 3 of 3 1 2 3

Platinum Supporter until November 30 2022
Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member
Online Content

Originally Posted by Mark_C
While it's without what we might call the extreme outlyingness of those others, I find it extremely "note-y," in large part because of the slowness of the tempo but even within such a tempo, it would have been easily possible for it to be not nearly so note-y.
To me this aspect makes it sound like anything what Chopin could ever have sounded like. To me it's pretty anti-Chopin.
To me, the problem is not the slow tempo as much as the deliberate distortion of the rhythmic flow of the Nocturne's melodic line. The simplest way I can explain it is that the pianist frequently hangs on to upbeats and delays striking downbeats. It's like he is constantly hesitating. This becomes most evident to me when I simply listen to the recording rather than watch the video. When I view the video I am intrigued somewhat by the pianist's hand motions and facial expressions. Without those distractions, however, the interpretation itself seems unmusical and incongruent with Chopin's style.

Mason and Hamlin BB - 91640
Kawai K-500 Upright
Kawai CA-65 Digital
Korg SP-100 Stage Piano
YouTube channel - http://www.youtube.com/user/pianophilo
S
3000 Post Club Member
Online Content
3000 Post Club Member
S
Originally Posted by Carey
To me, the problem is not the slow tempo as much as the deliberate distortion of the rhythmic flow of the Nocturne's melodic line. The simplest way I can explain it is that the pianist frequently hangs on to upbeats and delays striking downbeats. It's like he is constantly hesitating. This becomes most evident to me when I simply listen to the recording rather than watch the video. When I view the video I am intrigued somewhat by the pianist's hand motions and facial expressions. Without those distractions, however, the interpretation itself seems unmusical and incongruent with Chopin's style.

It is interesting how perception can vary. I see that the various delays and rubato actually shape the phrasing. With a very slow tempo like this one, it is necessary to let the flow breath a lot. This version of 62/2 reminds me of the unique version of Arrau. Arrau is darker and more dramatic and contrasted (probably also more nuanced), Pogorelich version is a long meditation. I think Chopin's style is likely what you are used to hear from most pianists which is also a more direct, rythmically aligned versions. But that is what makes his version different. I dont think you can say it is unmusical, personal certainly and unconventional. But as pianoloverus suggested one should forget all other versions, your own preferences and not try to find something that isnt there but just listen it for what it is. That said you can dislike it, thats why there are personalities.

Blüthner model 6

Online Content

Originally Posted by Sidokar
Originally Posted by Carey
It is interesting how perception can vary. I see that the various delays and rubato actually shape the phrasing. With a very slow tempo like this one, it is necessary to let the flow breath a lot. This version of 62/2 reminds me of the unique version of Arrau. Arrau is darker and more dramatic and contrasted (probably also more nuanced), Pogorelich version is a long meditation. I think Chopin's style is likely what you are used to hear from most pianists which is also a more direct, rythmically aligned versions. But that is what makes his version different. I dont think you can say it is unmusical, personal certainly and unconventional. But as pianoloverus suggested one should forget all other versions, your own preferences and not try to find something that isnt there but just listen it for what it is. That said you can dislike it, thats why there are personalities.
Thank you for this additional perspective.

Mason and Hamlin BB - 91640
Kawai K-500 Upright
Kawai CA-65 Digital
Korg SP-100 Stage Piano
YouTube channel - http://www.youtube.com/user/pianophilo
D
3000 Post Club Member
3000 Post Club Member
D
I heard the 3rd sonata on the radio today. The trio of the Scherzo is something quite unique, to be honest: crazy. The Largo is even madder. The finale is ok-ish but that's not good enough, short: what a strange interpretation, not to my liking at all, it's time for Pogo to get down to earth again (was he ever here?) and not play the eccentric anymore unless he wants to get hosed down by critics and he simply doesn't mind, I just can't understand, it's probably my fault.

Longtemps, je me suis couché de bonne heure, but not anymore!
Page 3 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  Brendan, Kreisler 

Link Copied to Clipboard
(ad)
Best of Piano Buyer
Piano Buyer - Read the Articles, Explore the website
(ad)
PianoDisc

PianoDisc
(ad)
Faust Harrison Pianos
Faust Harrison 100+ Steinway pianos
(ad)
Mason & Hamlin Pianos
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Is a CPT necessary?
by Petoskeyguy - 08/13/22 11:07 AM
Yamaha clp 785 horrible chorus effect
by Chrisgilx - 08/13/22 10:51 AM
How are you learning?
by bennevis - 08/13/22 09:41 AM
Here am and a little help
by Mayopapayo - 08/13/22 07:14 AM
Download Sheet Music
Virtual Sheet Music - Classical Sheet Music Downloads
What's Hot!!
FREE June Newsletter is Here!
--------------------
Forums RULES, Terms of Service & HELP
(updated 06/06/2022)
-------------------
Music Store Going Out of Business Sale!
---------------------
Mr. PianoWorld's Original Composition
---------------------
Sell Your Piano on our world famous Piano Forums!
---------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
-------------------
ADVERTISE on Piano World
Forum Statistics
Forums43
Topics214,377
Posts3,215,993
Members106,078
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010
Please Support Our Advertisers

Faust Harrison 100+ Steinways

Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver

Best of Piano Buyer

PianoTeq Bechstein
Visit our online store for gifts for music lovers

Virtual Sheet Music - Classical Sheet Music Downloads

Help keep the forums up and running with a donation, any amount is appreciated!
Or by becoming a Subscribing member! Thank-you.
Donate   Subscribe

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations | Pianos For Sale | Sell Your Piano |

Advertise on Piano World
| Subscribe | Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map | Free Newsletter | MapleStreetMusicShop.com - Our store in Cornish Maine

© copyright 1997 - 2022 Piano World ® all rights reserved
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission