2022 our 25th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

Shop our online store for music lovers
SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Pianoteq
Steinway Spiro Layering
(ad)
Piano Life Saver - Dampp Chaser
Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver
(ad)
Wessell Nickel & Gross
PianoForAll
Who's Online Now
50 members (AndrewJCW, Carey, 36251, ChickenBrother, BMKE, Brendan, 13 invisible), 608 guests, and 272 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
(ad)
Estonia Pianos
Estonia Pianos
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
L
LMA Offline OP
OP Offline
L
My Technics PX204 is not well. It was bought in 1996 and did very well over the years. 5 children used it. I do have a Steinway baby grand also that they use.

I looked locally and there is a used Technics that is 15 years old for $500. It doesn’t seem like it was used much. I inquired on the model number. I will go look at it.

I have a son playing harpsichord on the digital piano and that is why I need another digital piano.

Fix old digital piano? Buy used Technics? Buy new digital piano? I’m not sure what to do.

Last edited by LMA; 02/16/22 10:16 AM.
L
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
L
Spend a bit more then $500 on a new digital piano and you will be much happier compared to a 15 year old technics

Casio PX series are not expensive and good.

CDP series is cheaper but I don't know much about them. You will have to do some research

When you play, never mind who listens to you. R.Schumann.

Casio GP-400

2006 August Förster 215
E
EPW Online Content
1000 Post Club Member
Online Content
1000 Post Club Member
E
Roland FP30X 🙂

All these years playing and I still consider myself a novice.
R
R
Originally Posted by EPW
Roland FP30X 🙂

I second this.

Just a little more, but way way better then anything that is 15 years old

Ron

Ron

BÖSENDORFER 280VC, Steinway D-274, Garritan Abbey Road Studios CFX, Bechstein Digital, Ravenscroft275, Noire, Lounge Lizard EP-4, Auddict_Dorian_Marko, Modern U, The Grandeur, Lounge Lizard EP-4, 300_Grand_Compact, Pianoteq, Synthology_American_D
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
If you specifically want a replacement so your son can continue playing Harpsichord, i strongly suggest you and he try playing some first.

You will be hard pressed to find a new or used DP that does not have at least one or more Harpsi voices, but just like nearly every/all DP features, people have found that under various circumstances, some seem to sound better than others.

Even if you are leaning towards the local, used, Technics of unknown model, for $500, you should try it first if possible. If this pans out, great; if not, you may want to raise your budget and then look around locally for a more modern DP and try their Harpsichord voices, with headphones, with internal speakers, and then go from there.

Good luck to you & son , and here is hoping that your next post comes sooner than 16 years from now! 🙂

Last edited by drewr; 02/16/22 12:20 PM.

- Kawai MP7 and LSR308 monitors
- Roland HP-508
- DT770 Pro-80 and MDR-7506 phones
L
LMA Offline OP
OP Offline
L
Thank you! I will check out these models. My Technics purchase was a present to myself and It worked with my apartment at the time.

I have just been a lurker! I hadn’t needed any piano help for years after I bought my Steinway from reading posts here. The kids used both pianos. We have a good technician for the Steinway.

My son wanted to take up harpsichord when he discovered the harpsichord button. He plays on a real harpsichord at his instructor’s house and said the Technics DP is close to the instructor’s harpsichord.

Now that the DP is probably dead, my son wants another one to continue his studies.

I also found a 20 year old Yamaha CVP-96 for $200 but I would offer less. I don’t have a lot of extra money to put toward a DP, considering I already own a baby grand. This would just be for the harpsichord part.

3000 Post Club Member
3000 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by LMA
My Technics PX204 is not well. It was bought in 1996 and did very well over the years. 5 children used it. I do have a Steinway baby grand also that they use.

I looked locally and there is a used Technics that is 15 years old for $500. It doesn’t seem like it was used much. I inquired on the model number. I will go look at it.

I have a son playing harpsichord on the digital piano and that is why I need another digital piano.

Fix old digital piano? Buy used Technics? Buy new digital piano? I’m not sure what to do.

It would have to be a big no to the used Technics from me.

How much money are you willing to push to?

Last edited by Doug M.; 02/16/22 06:19 PM.

Instruments......Kawai MP7SE.............................................(Past - Kawai MP7, Yamaha PSR7000)
Software..........Sibelius 7; Neuratron Photoscore Pro 8
Stand...............K&M 18953 Table-style Stage Piano Stand
Piano stool.......K&M 14093 Piano stool
L
LMA Offline OP
OP Offline
L
Originally Posted by Doug M.

I was going to offer $100 for the used Technics. It says OBO also. We never used the electronic connections in the previous DP, so electronics for connecting to other equipment is not a feature we need. I don’t have a lot of extra money to spend on a second piano.

Last edited by LMA; 02/16/22 06:36 PM.
P
5000 Post Club Member
5000 Post Club Member
P

If you’re willing to push to 1.5K, I’d recommend the P-515; if that’s too high, then I’d recommend the P-125 for about $699.99!

These are built like tanks, and, IMHO, way better than comparably priced Rolands.

P.S.

I second the “NO” vote for the Technics; as a matter of fact, if they give it to you for free, still, say NO!

3000 Post Club Member
3000 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by LMA

I was going to offer $100 for the used Technics. It says OBO also. We never used the electronic connections in the previous DP, so electronics for connecting to other equipment is not a feature we need. I don’t have a lot of extra money to spend on a second piano.

What ever you consider buying used, make sure you play with all the DSP and chorus etc switched on: ie, to check that it can handle the same as when it was first brought.

Old parts for Technics are not so easy to come by. I'd be tempted to look for the equivalent Yamaha CLP, as you're more likely to be able to get it fixed.

Instruments......Kawai MP7SE.............................................(Past - Kawai MP7, Yamaha PSR7000)
M
M
I would think, a new/slightly used, keyboard would be just great for practice. Without breaking the bank. Yamaha has a slough of models. Kawai also has some. Casio. And more. You might want to consider something lik ethat.

Jon ...

Kawai CA67
A Tired, Retired, Dreamer ...
E
EPW Online Content
1000 Post Club Member
Online Content
1000 Post Club Member
E
I would get one with a built in audio interface for the convenience because you never know what the future holds

All these years playing and I still consider myself a novice.
E
E
Originally Posted by LMA

I have just upgraded my near 20 year old Yamaha CLP 115 with new felts, a 100w amplifier, 2x50w speakers, and Pianoteq running on a Raspberry Pi. It sounds incredible. The keyboard is quite adequate for my standard of play. I could have spent thousands on a new DP and still not had the same quality of sound.
I know nothing about electronics but it was quite an easy thing to do and because it was a very basic DP there was plenty of room to fit small components.
I am also streaming Spotify through it from a Macmini and that is also an amazing sound to my non-audiophile ears. Far better than my 400w Muso streamer.
It had four levels of velocity originally, hard, medium, soft and very soft, or something like that. It now has 127! That is some upgrade.

L
LMA Offline OP
OP Offline
L
Thank you all. I checked out the Technics and it did not sound good. My old one played and sounded well and was much better than the one I saw. So I may try to fix it for the sake of learning to fix it but that is a separate idea.

So back to square 1. What is a reasonably priced DP with harpsichord emulation? I saw the digital harpsichords advertised but I want more flexibility with a DP. My 10 year old would like to play around with the electronic music aspect of the DO.

My price range is $1000 or less. Please keep in mind that I own a Steinway baby grand that is the main piano. And no keyboards please. The teacher bans keyboards for practice especially when there are decent free pianos advertised locally.

Thank you.

Last edited by LMA; 02/20/22 11:52 AM.
L
LMA Offline OP
OP Offline
L
Originally Posted by ean2
I have just upgraded my near 20 year old Yamaha CLP 115 with new felts, a 100w amplifier, 2x50w speakers, and Pianoteq running on a Raspberry Pi. It sounds incredible. The keyboard is quite adequate for my standard of play. I could have spent thousands on a new DP and still not had the same quality of sound.
I know nothing about electronics but it was quite an easy thing to do and because it was a very basic DP there was plenty of room to fit small components.
I am also streaming Spotify through it from a Macmini and that is also an amazing sound to my non-audiophile ears. Far better than my 400w Muso streamer.
It had four levels of velocity originally, hard, medium, soft and very soft, or something like that. It now has 127! That is some upgrade.

How did you know where to start?

A
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
A
Originally Posted by LMA

The final decision is up to you. A mid-range cabinet digital piano is not going to be a noticeable upgrade if you've already been happy with what you have.

The rest depends on your budget and how comfortable you're in buying new vs used gears.

Kawai MP7SE, Yamaha MOTF XF6, Yamaha WX5, Yamaha Pacifica 112v
C
3000 Post Club Member
3000 Post Club Member
C
Originally Posted by LMA
What is a reasonably priced DP with harpsichord emulation?

Many do have it, but the quality varies of course.

I have an already discontinued Kawai ES-100 (they are now selling an ES-110) and it has one harpsichord sound and it lacks the key-off sound i.e. when the key is released on a harpischord the plectrum slightly touches the string also in that direction.

If the piano is advertised as GM2 (General MIDI level 2) compatible then it at least has a harpsichord sound in it, but it's not certain that all the sounds can be selected for playing on the keyboard. It could be just for MIDI playback compatibility. The User's Manuals list the available sounds and are usually available on manufacturers' websites.

In the cheap end there's Yamaha's P and Arius (YDP) series models, Roland's FP, F and RP series, Korg C1 and LP-380, Casio PX (Privia) and AP (Celviano) series and Kawai has the ES-110, KDP-120 and CN-29. I haven't checked their preset sound lists.

3000 Post Club Member
3000 Post Club Member
Hi LMA,

I would go to a big store and try a bunch of instruments out in order to get an idea of the field of play.
The VST option allows you to get a great harpsichord sound e.g., pianoteq.

I would first get experience of different levels of piano (by cost) and come back with your thoughts.
Action is a key aspect for pianists, so maybe take your son with you so both of you can experience the various models and that way, you'll be able to compare your perspectives.

There is a possibility of going for a piano-controller plus VST setup (VPC1 plus monitors, PC/laptop and VST instrument); therefore, maybe try the Kawai grand feel action (similar to the RM3II action) in order to get an idea of whether that is a possibility for you. The following Kawai digital piano instruments have the Grand Feel action: CS10, CS7, CP1, CP2, MP11, MP11SE. The Grand Feel II is also pretty similar, giving you these also: CA97, CA67, CS8, CS11, CA78, CA98.

Try to get a good spead of instruments to test: Yamaha, Roland, Kawai, Korg, Nord, Kurzweil, Viscount, Crumar, Dexibell, and controllers by Studio-logic etc.

1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by LMA
So back to square 1. What is a reasonably priced DP with harpsichord emulation? I saw the digital harpsichords advertised but I want more flexibility with a DP. My 10 year old would like to play around with the electronic

My price range is $1000 or less.

And no keyboards please. The teacher bans keyboards for practice especially when there are decent free pianos advertised locally.

Thank you.

For the sake of clarity regarding terminology, i interpret “ no keyboards” to mean the teacher requires a full 88-key DP or AP, nothing under 88 key models allowed.

Sometimes, people can have loose interpretation for “ keyboard”, for instance, some use the term interchangeably with slab/portable.

If your ten year old will enjoy experimenting with some of the electronic features that come with both cabinet & slab model DPs, he should be happy with most of the models at or under $1000.

For now, i suggest avoiding the VST route. If/when you & he get up and running with a suitable DP, you can always think about adding the various VST pieces later - involves its own scope of setup-learning - perhaps with the idea of your son also learning about piggy banks …. and working / saving for future expenditures of things VST 🙂

Last edited by drewr; 02/20/22 01:55 PM.

- Kawai MP7 and LSR308 monitors
- Roland HP-508
- DT770 Pro-80 and MDR-7506 phones
L
LMA Offline OP
OP Offline
L
The Casio PX-770 is one option that may work. Opinions on that model as a harpsichord?

The teacher doesn’t want the shorter electronic keyboards you find in a lot of stores because we may use the digital piano as a piano anyway.

Thank you.

Last edited by LMA; 02/21/22 12:46 PM.
Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  Piano World 

Link Copied to Clipboard
(ad)
Best of Piano Buyer
Piano Buyer - Read the Articles, Explore the website
(ad)
PianoDisc

PianoDisc
(ad)
Faust Harrison Pianos
Faust Harrison 100+ Steinway pianos
(ad)
Mason & Hamlin Pianos
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Two, Three and Four Hamburg Steinways in Concert
by Joseph Fleetwood - 08/11/22 10:32 PM
Dissonant overtones when mute rail is engaged
by MattH22 - 08/11/22 08:36 PM
Your piano teacher
by Dscally - 08/11/22 07:25 PM
To RD-2000 owners
by PianoStartsAt33 - 08/11/22 07:18 PM
Buying a Yamaha U1?
by ada d. - 08/11/22 05:31 PM
Download Sheet Music
Virtual Sheet Music - Classical Sheet Music Downloads
What's Hot!!
FREE June Newsletter is Here!
--------------------
Forums RULES, Terms of Service & HELP
(updated 06/06/2022)
-------------------
Music Store Going Out of Business Sale!
---------------------
Mr. PianoWorld's Original Composition
---------------------
Sell Your Piano on our world famous Piano Forums!
---------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
-------------------
ADVERTISE on Piano World
Forum Statistics
Forums43
Topics214,350
Posts3,215,596
Members106,065
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010
Please Support Our Advertisers

Faust Harrison 100+ Steinways

Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver

Best of Piano Buyer

PianoTeq Bechstein
Visit our online store for gifts for music lovers

Virtual Sheet Music - Classical Sheet Music Downloads

Help keep the forums up and running with a donation, any amount is appreciated!
Or by becoming a Subscribing member! Thank-you.
Donate   Subscribe

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations | Pianos For Sale | Sell Your Piano |

Advertise on Piano World
| Subscribe | Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map | Free Newsletter | MapleStreetMusicShop.com - Our store in Cornish Maine

© copyright 1997 - 2022 Piano World ® all rights reserved
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission