2022 our 25th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

Shop our online store for music lovers
SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Pianoteq
Steinway Spiro Layering
(ad)
Piano Life Saver - Dampp Chaser
Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver
(ad)
Wessell Nickel & Gross
PianoForAll
Who's Online Now
77 members (Amirhsol, bounced, Brendan, anotherscott, Abdol, BillS728, 0day, Animisha, bobrunyan, 17 invisible), 1,076 guests, and 457 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
(ad)
Estonia Pianos
Estonia Pianos
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
D
OP Offline
D
First off a huge thank you to everybody who contributes here. This is a phenomenal resource for piano info and has helped me a lot. It helped me decide on my Kawai ES8 and later, the mp11se.

Now, my situation/question:
I just purchased the K&M 18810 (omega) stand to use with my mp11se. (Before this stand, I had a sort of shelf setup that was solid but kind of unsightly and completely inflexible. I would prefer not to do that again since it was built into the wall and could not be moved.)

The stand is positioned either on the lowest setting or near-lowest. There is no wobble left to right, but considerable wobble front to back. (A little wobble when I move it just to test, but big wobble during a Rachmaninoff piece.) There aren't any troubleshooting notes in the instructions, and based on nearly everything I have read on the internet about these stands, it should be rock solid.

What should I fiddle with? I am going to try and tighten the knobs when I get home, but I am unsure what else to try.

[I used the K&M 18953 with my ES8 and know there is the 18950 that would fit the mp11se. My only beef with those stands is leg clearance. It was always a struggle with the 18953.]

F
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
F
You're sure the feet are solidly and evenly on the floor? None of them are even slightly above the floor? If you have it sitting on a soft surface like a rug or a carpet maybe it's just sinking into the nap or the backing.

The feet are not sliding at all on whatever floor covering you have it on?

If you're a zombie and you know it, bite your friend!
We got both kinds of music: Country and Western!
Casio Celviano AP-650
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
I have my MP11SE sitting on the 18810 Stand and there is basically no movement at all. Are all parts assembled the right way? The supports on the top must be mounted in the same direction as the feet, as they are not the same length on both sides.

Kawai: NV5 | Yamaha: CLP-745R
Pianoteq 7 Pro | Garritan CFX Full | Vienna Imperial | Keyscape Full | Ravenscroft 275 - Modern U - Model D - AG | Minigrand | The Oeser
P
500 Post Club Member
Online Content
500 Post Club Member
P
Well I would say it wobbles a bit front to back but is very solid side to side.

I think they should have had a gusset on the base between the legs and the vertical piece.

I never notice any wobble when playing.

FP-90x, PX-330
M
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
M
Just sold mine but it was rock solid - even when I had a VPC1 on it which is quite heavy - so it is not an inherent defect.
Which part is moving about ?

D
OP Offline
D
Thanks, everybody.

Feet are not sliding. Floor is tile and the feet are not on any grout lines.
It is assembled correctly.

The piano is moving front/back when I play hard and fast. Playing light or slower seem to be fine.

We have just decided to add a rug to the room to help with acoustics, and the stand may end up needing to rest on it. This is probably even more troublesome.

M
M
I can only report my experience with the same stand in conjunction with the Kawai ES 920. The stand stands flat on the floor. Makes a quality impression, adjustment options completely sufficient. No wobble, no yielding under pressure

M
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
M
Is it the joints in the stand wobling or just the very top part that the instrument sits on ?

D
D
The legs should be pretty tight in the outer tubing once the large height screws are tightened. I have no wobble on mine, and I also have a second tier keyboard on top.
Are you sure it's not the keyboard wobbling on the horizontal stays. It's possible the stays could be slightly misaligned? Look horizontally to see that they are parallel.
I've in the past had some wobble if the keyboard is placed with one its the bottom base screws sitting on the rubber feet needing some sideways adjustment.
I'm sure you've checked all these things, but thought I'd list them anyway :-)

The companions I can't live without: Kawai Acoustic Grand, Kawai MP11SE, Kronos2-73, Yamaha Montage8, Korg D1
Other important stuff: Studiologic NC2X, NI Komplete Ultimate 11, Sonuscore Elysion and Orchestra, Pianoteq 7, Experimenta Due.
D
OP Offline
D
Originally Posted by Deltajockey
The legs should be pretty tight in the outer tubing once the large height screws are tightened. I have no wobble on mine, and I also have a second tier keyboard on top.
Are you sure it's not the keyboard wobbling on the horizontal stays. It's possible the stays could be slightly misaligned? Look horizontally to see that they are parallel.
I've in the past had some wobble if the keyboard is placed with one its the bottom base screws sitting on the rubber feet needing some sideways adjustment.
I'm sure you've checked all these things, but thought I'd list them anyway :-)
No, I haven't actually! I have had to wait for my husband to help me move the piano to and fro, so no troubleshooting has happened yet. We hope to empty the room and reassemble it with the rug tomorrow, this time going through every screw on the stand to make sure it is tight and correct.

Originally Posted by Morten Olsson
Is it the joints in the stand wobling or just the very top part that the instrument sits on ?
I'm sorry that I'm not being specific enough. All I can say is that the piano feels like it is bouncing around once I really start playing. So the piano itself gets a bounce going in the forward/back dimension. It does not seem like the stand will collapse, but it is quite noticeable and detracts from the experience. I can ask my husband to watch it tomorrow while I am playing to see if he can provide more helpful guidance.

M
M
A video would perhaps be helpful for understanding

Q
Q

D
OP Offline
D
Yes! Exactly that video. The oscillations/bounce/wobble is front-back and is worse without the added straps. Considering it does not fully go away with the straps, I might have to consider a different stand.

The thing that keeps perplexing me is that there are *so many* reviewers and players who comment on this stand's stability. So either there is something up with *my stand* (assembly, location on floor, individual defects) or piano players are all unique and perhaps most of those reviewers aren't playing very hard. (Or both)

Thanks Quatschmacher for digging up that video. It's good to know I am not the only one!

Now, onto getting the hubby to help me lug my instrument around so we can further troubleshoot.

D
dmd Offline
5000 Post Club Member
5000 Post Club Member
D
Originally Posted by Display Name
Yes! Exactly that video. The oscillations/bounce/wobble is front-back and is worse without the added straps. Considering it does not fully go away with the straps, I might have to consider a different stand.

The thing that keeps perplexing me is that there are *so many* reviewers and players who comment on this stand's stability. So either there is something up with *my stand* (assembly, location on floor, individual defects) or piano players are all unique and perhaps most of those reviewers aren't playing very hard. (Or both)

Thanks Quatschmacher for digging up that video. It's good to know I am not the only one!

Now, onto getting the hubby to help me lug my instrument around so we can further troubleshoot.

I would stop "troubleshooting" it and return it.

Get one that works.

Don

Kawai MP7SE, On Stage KS7350 keyboard stand, KRK Classic 5 powered monitors, SennHeiser HD 559 Headphones
D
OP Offline
D
Originally Posted by dmd
[quote=Display Name]/quote]

Get one that works.

Which stand do you prefer?

A
A
Sorry if I add to your confusion, but I have the exact same setup you have (MP-11SE + K-M 18810) and had it for maybe one year. And it's allways been rock solid AFAIK. I usually don't bang the heck out of it when playing, but seeing your post I tried to rock it in all directions, but - won't wiggle a single mm.

Suppose you might have a lemon. Just return it if you can't find what's wrong.

Peter
--------------------------------
Yamaha U1 / Kawai CS11 / Kawai ES-120 / Hammond XK-3c
Working on: PCA Beginner Course and
Tim Richards - Improvising Blues Piano
D
D
I suppose it could be variations in the machining tolerances between batches etc. The horizontal stays have cutouts to avoid any movement when tightened underneath. I do have a slight amount of movement of the legs with respect to the outer verticals, but I have to deliberately rock the stand itself pretty hard to get a noticeable wobble. I have 2 of these Omegas and both are acceptable to me. Perhaps a Z type stand might suit better, as there is no back to front wobble by the design with its downward force leveraging against the joints.
The one thing I've always complained about with the Omega, is the second tier, when there isn't much weight on it. The screw holes are quite sloppy, and the angled stays rock from back to front, if the mount is closer to the middle. But I digresses from your concerns, sorry :-)

The companions I can't live without: Kawai Acoustic Grand, Kawai MP11SE, Kronos2-73, Yamaha Montage8, Korg D1
Other important stuff: Studiologic NC2X, NI Komplete Ultimate 11, Sonuscore Elysion and Orchestra, Pianoteq 7, Experimenta Due.
Q
Q
I’m using a Yamaha LG-800 stand with my MP11SE, which solves the front-to-back rocking, but has its own problems with side-to-side motion. Annoying for a really pricy stand. Should’ve been made with two cross braces. My old Nord was rock solid with its stage legs. I really hope Kawai makes bespoke stage legs/stand for any MP11SE successor.

Last edited by Quatschmacher; 02/18/22 08:03 PM.
D
dmd Offline
5000 Post Club Member
5000 Post Club Member
D
Originally Posted by Display Name
Originally Posted by dmd
[quote=Display Name]/quote]

Get one that works.

Which stand do you prefer?

I use the ON STAGE KS7350 Keyboard Stand.

Don

Kawai MP7SE, On Stage KS7350 keyboard stand, KRK Classic 5 powered monitors, SennHeiser HD 559 Headphones
P
500 Post Club Member
Online Content
500 Post Club Member
P
I have an onstage 7350, the omega stand is steadier

I’d build a stand out of wood if the omega is moving too much.

FP-90x, PX-330
Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  Piano World 

Link Copied to Clipboard
(ad)
Best of Piano Buyer
Piano Buyer - Read the Articles, Explore the website
(ad)
PianoDisc

PianoDisc
(ad)
Faust Harrison Pianos
Faust Harrison 100+ Steinway pianos
(ad)
Mason & Hamlin Pianos
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Info on Bernhard Stopper's TUNIC software products
by Daniel Stopper - 08/09/22 07:57 AM
Roland V-Piano vs Pure Accoustic
by overthinker - 08/09/22 06:41 AM
Alternative to replacing hammer felts?
by chopin_r_us - 08/09/22 04:36 AM
Boston UP-118S opinions
by skern49 - 08/08/22 10:22 PM
Download Sheet Music
Virtual Sheet Music - Classical Sheet Music Downloads
What's Hot!!
FREE June Newsletter is Here!
--------------------
Forums RULES, Terms of Service & HELP
(updated 06/06/2022)
-------------------
Music Store Going Out of Business Sale!
---------------------
Mr. PianoWorld's Original Composition
---------------------
Sell Your Piano on our world famous Piano Forums!
---------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
-------------------
ADVERTISE on Piano World
Forum Statistics
Forums43
Topics214,308
Posts3,214,976
Members106,041
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010
Please Support Our Advertisers

Faust Harrison 100+ Steinways

Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver

Best of Piano Buyer

PianoTeq Bechstein
Visit our online store for gifts for music lovers

Virtual Sheet Music - Classical Sheet Music Downloads

Help keep the forums up and running with a donation, any amount is appreciated!
Or by becoming a Subscribing member! Thank-you.
Donate   Subscribe

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations | Pianos For Sale | Sell Your Piano |

Advertise on Piano World
| Subscribe | Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map | Free Newsletter | MapleStreetMusicShop.com - Our store in Cornish Maine

© copyright 1997 - 2022 Piano World ® all rights reserved
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission