2022 our 25th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

Shop our online store for music lovers
SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Pianoteq
Steinway Spiro Layering
(ad)
Piano Life Saver - Dampp Chaser
Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver
(ad)
Wessell Nickel & Gross
PianoForAll
Who's Online Now
71 members (brennbaer, astrotoy, 0day, Calavera, Carey, ada d., 15 invisible), 1,060 guests, and 325 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
(ad)
Estonia Pianos
Estonia Pianos
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 3 of 10 1 2 3 4 5 9 10
P
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
P
19. facdo - Mazurka in A minor Op.17 No.4 You say that the Mazurkas are a mystery and least favorite Chopin collection, but you would never know that from this recording. This was a knockout performance. Beautifully phrased, great dynamics, pedaling, and use of rubato. Your runs and trills were well crafted. Very lovely tone production from your new grand - congratulations on your new piano. I think you captured the character of this piece perfectly. A couple of nitpicky comments, though. In the opening bars, bring out the middle voice (B,C,D), which you did in the closing bars. In a few places you don’t hold the dotted 8th note quite long enough and play the 16th note too soon. Last comment is one of musical taste. When the piece returns to A minor you might experiment with rubato and take a bit more time on the first few beats.

18. Purrblast- Etude in G minor, Impatience Very confident performance and played with interesting dynamics and a lot of control. I don’t really have any comments about how your performance could be improved. Time to take on some more challenging pieces.

(ad)
Piano & Music Accessories
piano accessories music gifts tuning and moving equipment
5000 Post Club Member
Online Content
5000 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by Ted
04. Sam S - Cantilene
That is beautiful, Sam, and exquisitely played; my kind of music, or at least one of them. I shall add Decruck to my shortlist of composers as she obviously had a strikingly evocative command of serene free harmony and lyricism. I am reminded of the English composers of that era I am fond of, Bax, Delius, Bridge, Ireland and Finzi; I suppose everyone influenced everybody else around that time though. A real treat, I have listened four times so far.

Thanks Ted! Decruck didn't write very much music, and this is out of print. Her husband played clarinet and saxophone. They lived in New York for a while during the worst of WWII. Just reading between the lines, but the war must have been a serious disruption to their musical lives.

Sam

Back to School at 62: How I earned a BM degree in Piano Performance/Piano Pedagogy in my retirement!
ABF Online Recitals
ABF Recital Index
2000 Post Club Member
2000 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by Qazsedcft
30. bSharp(C)yclist (Dan) - Nocturne No. 20 in C# minor

Are you using fingers 3-4 on that trill at measure 11? 😲 I would never use those fingers (too clumsy). I liked your performance although I think your wife is right wink especially the ending should be more delicate. But I know how challenging it is to play those scale runs and yours sound pretty effortless. It was very nice listening to this.

As for suggestions, I don't know what style of piece you want to learn next. For Romantic era pieces in a similar style October from The Seasons op. 37 by Tchaikovsky is about the same difficulty as Lento con gran espressione.

Thanks for listening! Yes, I'm using 3-4. A couple years ago I wouldn't have used that, but the dexterity in my fingers seems to be improving and using 3-4 there doesn't bother me too much. As for the scale runs, some days are better than others, depends on the temperature smile And thanks for the suggestion, Tchaikovsky's Autumn Song is a nice piece.

♯ ♮ ♭ ø ° Δ ♩ ♪ ♫ ♬
Yamaha C3X
YouTube
[Linked Image]

C
C
Originally Posted by KevinM
28 Candela - Chess. I really enjoyed that. You have captured the feel of it so well. I am keen to try it for myself now.

Thank you, Kevin! It's a nice piece and I noticed it hadn't been played in any of the first 64 recitals so I thought it could be nice to bring it to the table.

P
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
P
10. AssociateX (Liz) - Beethoven Sonata Op.2 No.1 - 1st Movement . I think your tempo was too fast, rather than too slow. The technical elements seems to be there but you appear to be playing at the edge of a comfortable tempo, which results in some uneven playing. In a few places, I felt the pulse got disrupted. I couldn’t help but notice that you are playing with a lot of tension, particularly in your right hand. When your fingers aren’t on a key, they point towards the fallboard. I think this playing with your fingers may result in a harsher tone. Once you get rid of some of that tension, I think you will be able to increase the tempo on not just this piece, but in all pieces.

25 vte - Cradle Song from Piano Pieces, Op 66 No 2 - Nicely played. You captured the swaying sound of the cradle and 6/8 tempo. There are a couple of places where you might want to diminuendo near the end, and I like how you ended the piece. There was a lot of mechanical noises in your recording, maybe from the pedal? Your playing deserves a higher quality recording.

B
B
12. Kepijapa - Partita No.6 In E Minor, BWV 830 - 1. Toccata

This has for a long time been a favorite of mine, this piece, #1 of the Partita 6. The whole partita is great, but the Toccata is amazing. I never knew there is a fugue in the middle, though I suppose if I had thought about it I would have figured it out. But that part, the transition to the fugue section, and the further development, is really a beautiful piece of music.

Hard though! I never imagined that I could even attempt this piece, but listening to your recording is inspiring. Its not perfect, but it captures the music, the essence, and gives one a glimpse of how one might acutually approach the music as an intermediate player.

500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
1. QuasiunaFantasia - Les Cloches (Alkan) That is a perfect mystic atmosphere you have created with the mysterious whispering at the beginning and the bell sound from Pianoteq. I had to look at the score to find out how this piece was originally meant. If played on a piano, there should be chimes only on the notes marked "rf", the other notes stand for the decay of the sound. The piece should sound like this:
Alkan, Les Cloches, played on a piano
But you cannot do this when every note comes with a real bell sound.

Wow, I am very impressed with the playing in this recital. Well done, everyone. It was nice to hear the two other Scarlatti sonatas.

03. Mateusz 'Mati' Papiernik - Sonata in B minor, K. 27 This was just lovely, and I thought your tempo suited the piece. I feel like your enjoyment of the piece comes through in your playing. I may have to give this one a go myself. Your piano also sounds great!

32. Rachtoven - K.466 Sonata in F Minor I enjoyed your romantic interpretation. I do think the piece could benefit from a bit more movement.

24. Saan - Sonata in E major, K 162. Meh, it could use some work. I did manage to fix the octaves since I made this recording. I like repeats because they give you a second chance to get things right (or at least make mistakes in different places).

Originally Posted by AndresVel
24. Saan - Sonata in E major, K 162 So cool that you submitted a piece Saan! Thank you showing me a Scarlatti sonata I had no heard before! and what a sonata this is. Both sections are so contrasting and the way it picks up steam in the Allegro section seems so fun to play. I think you did very well, lovely ornaments, in spite of the 5/3 trill (seems daunting), nice dynamic variations, specially in the first section. I did notice the spots where you hurry a bit as you mention, but this did not take anything away from the listening experience in my opinion. Good is that you are aware of them and can work on it. I deeply enjoyed this recording and will mark this sonata as a new favorite. Thank you for sharing smile

Thank you for your kind comments Andres. If you have not heard this piece before then you are in for a treat in hearing Horowitz play it. smile

Yamaha U3H
07. peterws - Bike Trip 4 Wonderful playing, very solid style, the music gives energy. (The treble is a bit static and artificial to me, mid and bass very nice. Maybe try a plugin digital sample library) I guess you are to happy to make a funeral march.

15. Rickster - Road to Somewhere Great. Why try to play the melody singing on the piano when you can do as it should be, sing it yourself, easier to do, more expressive. As Sam also has the Clarinet to play the melody, instead of trying to klonk out the melody on the piano. Absolutely more expressive. The voice and the clarinet can hold the note for long and increase the volume. The piano is mainly an accompaniment instrument, more suitable for fast notes and arpeggios. (On the other hand the listener can put in her own interpretation if there is not any text…) I got inspired by you, great. Put it on a streaming service.

Piano primate amateur
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
@Qazsedcft: Thank you very much!

@Pianist685: Thanks! This was quite an educational playing experience for me. When played straight as indicated in the score it sounds just fine on a piano, but bells apparently work differently, and so I had to make some changes to get it somewhat pleasant sounding. Most interesting (and also a bit annoying in the beginning). smile

Roland FP-30, Roland E-28
Galaxy II Grand piano collection, Synthogy Ivory II Studio Grands, Production Voices Estate Grand, Garritan CFX Lite, Pianoteq 7.5.2 (Blüthner, Bechstein DG, Grotrian, Steinway D, K2)
P
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
P
35. briangmoore - Cowboy Song Welcome to the recital and introducing this piece with your enjoyable performance. Your playing conveys the image of riding horseback across the plains. I have never heard of the composer so I looked him up. He grew up in eastern Washington and taught music composition at the UW for more than 40 years. This piece makes me think he was influenced by Aaron Copland, and they were contemporaries with birthdates 1 year apart.

36. Qazsedcft - French Suite no. 2, Allemande This piece sounds like you have been playing it for much more than a month. Your playing sounds very secure, even, and you get a lovely tone from your Yamaha. My only suggestion would be to give more attention to how you want to phrase the piece. I’m hearing slight accents in each measure, mostly on the beat. If you can smooth them out, you will get a longer musical line.

38. Swede - BWV 988 Bach-Busoni Aria first half Goldberg variations The Aria has a complicated rhythm that is difficult to get correct. Right now the rhythm is wobbly and your playing lacks a pulse. If you want to keep working on this piece, you might want to play hands separately and leave out the ornaments, either counting or using a metronome. Once that is secure, add the ornaments back in.

41. Ido - Invention No.8 Well played and confident performance. It sounded rhythmically consistent so I would not worry about getting it more precise. My only suggestion is to add some dynamic contrast.

T
2000 Post Club Member
Online Content
2000 Post Club Member
T
The level of playing is getting so high that it's like watching the 3rd round of an amateur piano competition...

P
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
P
Originally Posted by thepianoplayer416
The level of playing is getting so high that it's like watching the 3rd round of an amateur piano competition...

You must have just watched CasualPianist 123 play the Polonaise. And there are some other really outstanding performances.

B
B
[quote=PianogrlNW]35. briangmoore - Cowboy Song Welcome to the recital and introducing this piece with your enjoyable performance. Your playing conveys the image of riding horseback across the plains. I have never heard of the composer so I looked him up. He grew up in eastern Washington and taught music composition at the UW for more than 40 years. This piece makes me think he was influenced by Aaron Copland, and they were contemporaries with birthdates 1 year apart.

Thanks for your comments and thanks for listening. There are a few pieces from Sagebrush Country in the Faber books. They are Westernish but also with modern, interesting harmonies, which is partly what attracted me to this piece.

Since I've been working with a teacher now, I'm trying to perform smaller, practice pieces for recitals (I used to be sometimes pick some really hard piece and work on them forever) and not take too long, maybe a month, to work with it, and keep moving.

This piece is really meant to be played faster, but... a work in progress as always.

P
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
P
43. Agrajag - Sonata No. 2 mvt. 3, Funeral March Great building of drama throughout the first section. In the middle section I thought you could do more to bring out the beautiful melodic line. The return to the march is effective in how you gradually crescendo over a very long line and then dramatically back off for the finale. Great work for playing piano only for a short time!

44. Tyschoco - French Suite No.5 in G Major, Sarabande and Gavotte Nicely performed Sarabande, especially in bringing out the base line. Great job voicing the Gavotte also. I like the pairing of the two dances and you should do really well for your recital examination.

45. CasualPianist123 - Polonaise in C# Minor Op 26 No.1 That was a knockout performance! Very engaging and exciting performance with lovely voicing, dynamics and rubato. You coax a beautiful sound from the piano.

R
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
R
Very true, haha. I'm getting anxious just looking at the performances lol. Especially the perfect-sounding Bach scares me, he's been giving me a hard time this past year.

T
T

It definitely surprised me the first time I saw it haha. Was expecting a bunch of beginners much like myself but to my surprise, the average participant was quite adept.

Not a bad thing at all though, I enjoy the wide variety. Just so happens that it's a great way to discover new pieces or even composers I didn't know about either smile

3000 Post Club Member
3000 Post Club Member
44. tyschoco- Well you won't get a "serious critique" from me but I will tell you i greatly enjoyed listening to and watching you play. I love listening to Bach and you were right in the money.

42. Greta- I figured i would stick with Bach. Hmmm...not sure why you say "it shows" you have been without a teacher. That was absolutely beautifully played.

41. Ido- Wow, another great performnance of Bach. So well done.

40. Flygbladet- A very pretty original. I like thge name too. Vewry fitting.
Well done.

C
C
@Peyton Thanks! Like you said, I’m also very happy that all the time I put in spam practicing was able to bring me this far this quickly. However, there’s still a long road ahead of me, and hopefully with time I’ll be able to produce much cleaner recordings.
Originally Posted by Peyton
45. Casualpianist- Damn, that's good. That "one year of serious practice" has paid off. Absolutely beautiful playing. Great sounding piano too.

C
C
@Mati I’m glad that you’ve managed to find motivation from the recording! Chopin is definitely not easy to play, as a lot of his melody lines require you to put in a conscious effort to bring them out or they will just sound like a bunch of senseless notes. I had to go with a slightly slower tempo for this recording as I gotta admit that my technical ability was still not sufficient to play the peace stably at a faster tempo, especially at the fast diminished arpeggios. But rest assured, with recent practice I have managed to raise the piece a little more to a much proper tempo haha.

@PianogrlNW Thanks for the feedback! It’s good to know that all the details that I have planned out and worked on for the piece can be heard and understood well.

Page 3 of 10 1 2 3 4 5 9 10

Link Copied to Clipboard
(ad)
Best of Piano Buyer
Piano Buyer - Read the Articles, Explore the website
(ad)
PianoDisc

PianoDisc
(ad)
Faust Harrison Pianos
Faust Harrison 100+ Steinway pianos
(ad)
Mason & Hamlin Pianos
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Line outs recording vs USB recording
by PianoStartsAt33 - 08/10/22 09:33 AM
I'm playing in a special recital!
by Sam S - 08/10/22 09:25 AM
Great Piano Tutorial
by Bart K - 08/10/22 03:54 AM
Piano mindset
by pablobear - 08/10/22 01:37 AM
Boston UP-118S opinions
by skern49 - 08/09/22 11:13 PM
Download Sheet Music
Virtual Sheet Music - Classical Sheet Music Downloads
What's Hot!!
FREE June Newsletter is Here!
--------------------
Forums RULES, Terms of Service & HELP
(updated 06/06/2022)
-------------------
Music Store Going Out of Business Sale!
---------------------
Mr. PianoWorld's Original Composition
---------------------
Sell Your Piano on our world famous Piano Forums!
---------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
-------------------
ADVERTISE on Piano World
Forum Statistics
Forums43
Topics214,326
Posts3,215,226
Members106,055
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010
Please Support Our Advertisers

Faust Harrison 100+ Steinways

Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver

Best of Piano Buyer

PianoTeq Bechstein
Visit our online store for gifts for music lovers

Virtual Sheet Music - Classical Sheet Music Downloads

Help keep the forums up and running with a donation, any amount is appreciated!
Or by becoming a Subscribing member! Thank-you.
Donate   Subscribe

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations | Pianos For Sale | Sell Your Piano |

Advertise on Piano World
| Subscribe | Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map | Free Newsletter | MapleStreetMusicShop.com - Our store in Cornish Maine

© copyright 1997 - 2022 Piano World ® all rights reserved
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission