2022 our 25th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

Shop our online store for music lovers
SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Pianoteq
Steinway Spiro Layering
(ad)
Piano Life Saver - Dampp Chaser
Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver
(ad)
Wessell Nickel & Gross
PianoForAll
Who's Online Now
67 members (0day, ada d., Alex Hutor, brennbaer, astrotoy, Animisha, Carey, brdwyguy, 13 invisible), 1,050 guests, and 308 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
(ad)
Estonia Pianos
Estonia Pianos
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 10 1 2 3 9 10
A
3000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
3000 Post Club Member
A
Welcome to the General Discussion Room for the AB Forum Quarterly Recital #65!

Please use this room for any discussion of the pieces in Recital #65 that is taking place in the Main Recital Thread.

Discussions and replies can be posted at any time. Please note that there are 4 levels of comments that can be requested:
- No Comments Please!
- Polite Comments only: no suggestions for improvement please.
- General Comments only: Polite, supportive, suggestions for improvement.
- Critical Comments: Anything goes!

Please respect the wishes of the performers and make appropriate comments. Requesting a comment does not guarantee that you will get one. Anyone can make comments, so feel free to listen and let the performers know that you listened.

Thank you!

For those who wish to comment, a copy and paste template for offering feedback can be found here:

Recital 65 Response Template

Please use this thread only to discuss recital performances. If you have any comments or suggestions about ways to make the recital process better, please start a separate thread.

Enjoy the music!

Sam

(ad)
Piano & Music Accessories
piano accessories music gifts tuning and moving equipment
Nr 38 is absolutely lovely. ;-) shocked

Piano primate amateur
3000 Post Club Member
3000 Post Club Member
45. Casualpianist- Damn, that's good. That "one year of serious practice" has paid off. Absolutely beautiful playing. Great sounding piano too.

Last edited by Peyton; 02/15/22 08:36 AM.
F
F
I will comment on more - but just clicked on random and was so impressed that I thought I should write a comment on the spot.
44. Tyschoco - French Suite No.5 in G Major, Sarabande and Gavotte
Yes yes yes yes.
Sarabande: Loved it. The carefully played ornaments, with the steady rythm of the left hand. I especially loved the sarabande. Great work. I can see it being played thoughtfully with the right amount of thoughtfullness..
Small suggestion:
The Gavotte : just one place. I didn´t like the lingering on the of-note at 2:18-2:19. At first I thought it was a mistake, but since repeated was it your own ornament? Checked the score and couldn´t find it. If not by mistake, and something you added to spice it up, I think it sort of sticks out a bit to much smile

And yes again. I choised to comment on this one cause I so enjoyed your interpretation of the Sarabande. Just wonderful.

T
T
02. Calavera - Ending Theme [from Final Fantasy VIII]

I always do love a good Piano arrangement of Final Fantasy music, something enjoyable to listen to. Really well done on your end as it was wonderfully played. Really happy to hear this is one of those pieces that you feel that accelerated comprehension! Hope to hear more from you in the next recital!

03. Mateusz 'Mati' Papiernik - Sonata in B minor, K. 27

At first glance, this recital seems like it has a higher amount of Scarlatti, which i find somewhat interesting.
First impression, very good choice of tempo and well controlled. Love the interaction with the inner voice and outer voice in the middle part of the A section. The rest of the piece is played very cleanly and its a very convincing interpretation. Good job!

04. Sam S - Cantilene

Interesting! A piece for Clarinet and piano! Immediate props for playing in an ensemble/accompaniment setting. It takes some command over counting and your own playing to be able to do this. The balance with the clarinet is done really well and you add to the overall mood of the piece very well.
You could come out in certain parts to create a conversation with the solo clarinet (although the audio balance could be due to the position of the microphone?) Extra points for coordianting those 4 against 3s at the end of the work. I don't know how i would manage that.

05. Marklings - Sonata KV 280 in F Major, 1st part

I have to say that even at this tempo, you have done a rather decent job to bring out the Allegro Assai feeling of this movement. Good job on the rhythmic changes as they can usually throw people off. I can also sense your musical direction you are trying to conceive. So its a rather good product and i enjoyed it.

On the topic of tempo, while i believe tempo can be subjective. It is my humble opinion (and in my experience) that as we improve our skill and play our own pieces at faster tempi, our brains can comprehend the quicker tempo better as we are acclimatized to it. So therefore, it is possible that 130-140 (which is the 'standard' concert allegro) will not sound like such a blur in the future.
I speak mostly from experience where i used to play by sonata at 90-100 and that felt "ok", as i got my training, a tempo that feels comprehensible now hovers around 130 ish. Just sharing my take on it. But it does not take away from anything you have done. Its a fine product you have already.

06. MarieJ - Horizon Variations
I absolutely love these type of "modern' compositions. Your inner voices definitely sing out even on your digital instrument. As you pointed out, the singing quality may be alittle hard to bring out with a well voiced acoustic piano. You played this wonderfully and i am definitely going to take this piece and learn it on the side because its so beautiful. Thanks for sharing it!

07. peterws - Bike Trip 4
A very interesting self composition! There is a nice coherence to it and very very colorful harmony. Your playing obviously does your piece justice and it was very enjoyable to listen to. smile

08. PikaPianist - Adieu!
For a brief second, sounded like the opening of Beethoven's Pathtique lol

As always, fantastic work. Very good voicing, inner voice has just the right tone and colours and you have a very profound sense of direction and musical sense. Very tasteful use of your rubato and shaping with good subtle dynamic changes even if the score did not explicitly state it.

Personally, i would have highlighted that momentary key change to C major on measure 50 as it precludes the very strong movement to C minor. But this is a nitpick in an otherwise amazing performance!

09. sinophilia - Prelude Op. 2 No. 2
Very nice! You have a very good touch for this piece and you bring out the atmosphere of the piece very well. There really nothing much to critique except for two small thing. The first of which is do be careful with the liberty with the rhythm for example in the first measure of the last system. I understand you are likely trying to go for an emotional effect there, so perhaps a shorter pause to allow that left hand E natural to be stated without adding 2 extra quarter note beats.

Also, since your right hand melody is so nice shaped, perhaps that small moment in the 3rd system where the left hand takes that motif could be brought out more.
Beyond, that i have nothing else to really say, its good and hope to see what you come up with next.

10. AssociateX (Liz) - Sonata Op. 2 No 1 (1st movement)

Considering how difficult the sonata is (I am personally a good 3 years away from being able to play something like this), i think its a very fair attempt. Its very obvious you are making a conscious attempt to play this musically and bring out the interpretive ideas and you are to be commended for it. You also seem relatively in ballpark technique wise to pull this off, so maybe its a matter of some good practice for the next few months as you get better?

As you seem generally self aware of any flaws (ghost notes, choppyness) etc. I won't point them out. Perhaps a suggestion from a fellow learner? I appreciate the physical gesturing when you play and it certainly brings out musical direction from time to time. However, perhaps you may consider allowing your fingers to stay closer to the keys in general? As i notice a lot of flying fingers which is usually indicative of tension and inefficient transfer of arm weight between fingers. Also, the flying fingers could also partially explain the relative choppiness without the use of pedal and the issues with speeding it up to the standard professional tempo.

Other than that, it was a good attempt and the essence was captured. Keep up the good work!

@Flygbladet Thanks for the kind feedback, i'll be sure to comment on your piece in my next set of comments! To answer your question on the Gavotte, both on my teacher's Barenreiter and my Henle, there is a appogiatura C to B on that note, which does cause a rather funky clash lol. Perhaps i could do it more gracefully to avoid it sticking out too much.

Last edited by tyschoco; 02/15/22 10:06 AM.
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
Here's a YouTube playlist of available video performances, for your convenience. You can play all in order, shuffle, or loop, the videos if you choose. smile

It goes without saying that you should view the full recital for the complete list of all the performances.

Congrats to everyone! I'll be sure to like, subscribe, and comment, on your performances! laugh

M
M
@Tyschoco
Sensible comment, thank you. Only 2 years of experience of yours ???

A
A
Hy everyone!
So happy to be able to listen again to one of our recitals! Great playing and piece selection form what I have listened to so far. Here my first batch of comments:

01. QuasiUnaFantasia - Esquisses Op. 63,4: Les Cloches This one was interesting. For a second I thought I had click on Calavera's submission by accident (because the opening gave me video games vibes) but then I understood what you went for. This was very original and expected. What were exactly those voices in the background? Thank you for sharing smile

02. Calavera - Ending Theme [from Final Fantasy VIII] This was awesome!! What a contrasting suite, so many different moods and transitions all throughout. I always admire your musicality, how well you explore dynamics and add contrasts to highlight tension (around 5:15 for example). Here I think you did great at that. I particularly enjoy the section from 2:00 to 4:00 minutes mark. The change to pianissimo you achieved there was so on point and well done. Awesome playing!

11. navindra (Navindra Umanee) - Bluebird What a beautiful piece and melody. I am not familiar with Alexis Ffrench's music, so this one was a very good first. I think in general you did a very good job. The melody was well shaped and you got a very nice singing tone. As a suggestion, I would try to add some variations when the main theme returns, and would also try to add some more dynamics to the left hand, make it quieter at some spots. This was a lovely submission.

12. Kepijapa - Partita No.6 In E Minor, BWV 830 - 1. Toccata wow I am speechless! First of all, this is my favorite Bach partita for solo keyboard, and when I saw your entry in the recital list, I was very much looking forward to your rendition. I think you did an splendid job, this might be one of my all time favorite submission since I have been taking part on these recitals. The fugue was so well put together! the interplay of voices, the dynamic changes you also added in the first section, articulation, it was all very well done. Congratulations on this amazing recording. I can only imagine the amount of work you must have put into this piece. At any point I had the impression you were struggling with the piece, and your ideas were always very well conveyed, not rushing at any point. This is very inspiring and I hope you share with us the rest of the partita! laugh

21. ThomasG - Mia & Sebastian's theme (from La La Land) Welcome to the recitals Thomas! great playing for only 9 months of experience. It is easy to tell from your playing how much you like the piece and enjoy playing it. I think you did a very good job all throughout specially in the first half of the piece. Lovely phrasing. I think with only a little more practice on this piece you'll be able to bring it to the shape you want to. Specially shaping the melody better in the second half, after the 1 min mark. I actually liked the arpeggios you mention. Lovely, thank you for sharing.

22. Snejana - In the Journey Very nice improvisation Snejana! Thank you for sharing your music with us and also for sharing your story. Music is indeed a very powerful tool and I am happy for you that you are able to use your talent to help others. Keep them coming! smile

31. ebkawai / Lisa W - Elfentanz / Elfin Dance Hi Lisa, good that you join the recitals this time. This piece was very cheerful, I am not familiar with Grieg's compositions, and this one made me want to explore his music. I do not think the piece is as easy as you suggest. The four-finger chords can be tricky to time and voice correctly and there is plenty of articulation and dynamics to pay attention to. I think you did in general a good job on those aspects. I would only suggest to create a larger contrast between the pp and the f sections, and also add a bit more shape to the legato parts. I would also not add an accent on the final staccatos at the end of bars 65-67, so as in the last two bars, which stay in ppp. Thank you for submitting a piece this time smile

32. Rachtoven - K.466 Sonata in F Minor Very well played Rachtoven! One can tell you really enjoy this piece and add a lot of emotion and feeling to your playing. Going for a more romantic approach works well in this case. I think you did a very good job at phrasing and carrying the melody. You also added very nice dynamic variations, which kept things interested. My only suggestions would be to use a slightly higher tempo to give the music a bit more momentum, and I would reduce the pedal a bit to not hide some interesting rests in the right hand, which would give the left hand more space to sing as well. This was a very good submission smile

41. Ido - Invention No.8 Very well done Ido! I think you manage to bring this invention up to a very good tempo, which showcases the playfulness of the composition. I do not think you should be so hard on yourself. You did a very good job at bringing out the main theme whenever it appeared, and you played nicely with both voices. I totally agree with you on this piece being a bit deceptive, and I remember struggling also quite a bit with it. It gets particularly harder in the last third. I do not think you are too far away from getting to where yo want to with this piece, this was in general very well played Ido! Awesome stuff! Inventions are fun! smile

42. Greta99 - Fugue No.2 in C Minor, BWV 847 Good job Greta! good to listen again to one of your recordings. I think you did very good considering this is your first fugue. You managed to highlight and bring out the main theme whenever it appeared and played nicely with the voices. I only noticed a minor thing, in case you want to keep working on the piece. When two voices sing in unison (e.g., bars 13-14), I would still try to highlight one above the other, in this case when playing those thirds (which I know is not always easy). I enjoyed this very much Greta! smile

Lisztomaniac, inspired adult beginner, Scarlatti fan
Sabel S123 (Tucan), and Kawai CA49. Previously: Casio PX-S1000
What I have been learning
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
I've started listening from the end this time, but also because I was extremely curious about this piece. I'm working on 26/2 myself now and it's giving me quite a bit of hard time, so listening to 26/1 was really, really motivating.

45. CasualPianist123 - Polonaise in C# Minor Op 26 No.1

It's perhaps one of the most "concert-like" performances I've heard across these recitals. The piano sounds great and far more impressive than a typical home recording. I love the choice of tempi, somewhat on the slower side, but allowing you to show all the details the piece deserves. I don't know the piece well enough to provide constructive criticism from the first listen, but I'm sure I will return to this one with the sheet music open later! Great job.

Mateusz Papiernik
https://maticomp.net
"One man can make a difference" - Wilton Knight
Kawai CN21 (digital), Henryk Yamayuri Kawai NX-40 (grand)
3000 Post Club Member
3000 Post Club Member
31. ebkawai / Lisa W - Elfentanz / Elfin Dance

First of all, welcome to the recitals. I was hoping to see you here some day (and still hoping to see some other regular posters...). It was a nice performance. I think you could give it more energy by increasing the tempo (I know it's harder said than done) but also adding more dynamic contrasts. The dynamics in this piece are from ppp to ff so go for it!

Originally Posted by Swede
Nr 38 is absolutely lovely. ;-) shocked

Hehe... trying to get some attention aren't we? wink Okay then...

38. Swede - BWV 988 Bach-Busoni Aria first half Goldberg variations

That was beautiful. I think this is very good (besides the tempo, but I suppose you're still working on that). Since you asked for critical comments I will just say don't hold the pedal when doing ornaments because the clashing seconds sound too harsh in this piece. Besides that great work! Now I want to hear the second half. wink

03. Mateusz 'Mati' Papiernik - Sonata in B minor, K. 27

I don't hear the imperfections that you are talking about and I think it sounds great. I played this piece not long ago but it was much worse than your version.
To me that tempo is perfect and I think Michelangeli played it too fast. I would just add more dynamic contrasts to make it more expressive. If you haven't seen the tutorial by antune check it out: https://www.youtube.com/c/Antune
Pozdrowienia!

10. AssociateX (Liz) - Sonata Op. 2 No 1 (1st movement)

I know how difficult this piece is as I have played it. Since, you asked for critical comments and I know the piece well I will provide some detailed feedback.
In m. 42 the G is a dotted quarter and the E-flat is an eighth but you're playing them equal. The E-flat should come after the left hand chord. Same thing with the following measures.
You're cutting m. 47 too short and playing the final chord of the exposition to loud and too short. It should be ff chord held for the full bar and then the final chord should be p and held down for the beat and certainly not staccato like you are doing.
In general, some of your staccatos are too short for Beethoven. I think you should add more weight to them. Not all of them mind you, like the ones in the opening theme are good but for example the last chord in the exposition is not a very Beethovenian staccato.
I suppose you should practice your scales wink but besides the evenness they should also be going from loud to soft. In the exposition the scales go from f to p and in the recapitulation they go from ff to pp.
The descending theme in the development section (e.g. in m. 56) - that last A should not be staccato. Same thing for the following phrases.
In m. 145 (the last one before the coda) you're cutting the E short. It should be held for one and a half beats.
Sorry for being so picky but those details are what make Beethoven so great. You did a great job and I'm sure you can make it much better.

T
T
Originally Posted by AndresVel
21. ThomasG - Mia & Sebastian's theme (from La La Land) Welcome to the recitals Thomas! great playing for only 9 months of experience. It is easy to tell from your playing how much you like the piece and enjoy playing it. I think you did a very good job all throughout specially in the first half of the piece. Lovely phrasing. I think with only a little more practice on this piece you'll be able to bring it to the shape you want to. Specially shaping the melody better in the second half, after the 1 min mark. I actually liked the arpeggios you mention. Lovely, thank you for sharing.

Thanks for the kind words Andres! I'm glad to hear my liking for the piece actually shone through, I tend to struggle with this a lot haha.

I do agree, in the 2nd half (partly due to lack of polish/practice from me), I pretty sloppily played the melody and had to think about what to play a few times. Definitely will improve on that. Again thanks smile

Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member
Online Content
Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member
Okay, I just listened to all 45 submissions, and don't really have any comments regarding any particular submission, but I do have a couple of comments in general.

First of all, they were all great! I enjoyed listening to them all, even though I may not have listened to the entire length of some of the performances.

Secondly, I don't believe I heard a single "beginner" in the group. I was impressed with all the performances, and some were quite advanced.

And, thirdly, my submission was the only submission/performance that included singing. So, I feel like the oddball of the bunch. smile

Thanks to all who shared their musical performances!

Rick

Piano enthusiast and amateur musician: "Treat others the way you would like to be treated". Yamaha C7. YouTube Channel
3000 Post Club Member
3000 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by Flygbladet
The Gavotte : just one place. I didn´t like the lingering on the of-note at 2:18-2:19. At first I thought it was a mistake, but since repeated was it your own ornament? Checked the score and couldn´t find it. If not by mistake, and something you added to spice it up, I think it sort of sticks out a bit to much smile
Actually, if you're talking about the falling accent (C-B) in measure 3, that's notated in the Henle edition. Andras Schiff plays it like that on the repeat. Personally, I don't think it sticks out.

Thank you @Qazsedcft and @tyschoco for your detailed comments! I appreciate the listen and feedback- I wish I had run through this piece more thoroughly with my teacher but its evident my practice time at the piano the past few months have taken a hit (my teacher is now touring all over Russia and parts of the US so coordinating lesson time is always a challenge). I should work on submitting a piece that is 110% finished for my next recital as I usually submit pieces that I just finished learning as those are the ones I dedicate over 50% of my practice time playing. Ironically, this is only the 2nd Beethoven Sonata I really learned as an adult (my very first Sonata was the Moonlight Sonata which I learned in high school - the 3rd movement being one I rarely played for any recital). I 've sight-read my way through other Sonatas like the Pathetique but very few grabbed my attention as much as this one in F minor which just sounds cheerful.

As to the other submissions, I am enjoying listening to some of the submissions so far, particularly the last 2 pieces which sounded super impressive and polished! If I have time, I will go through them to see if I can offer any constructive feedback but I fear that type of feedback is best doled out by a teacher.

Last edited by AssociateX; 02/15/22 05:19 PM.

~~~~~~~
My Practice/Progress YouTube Channel :

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCNj0Yha5exOWuJMTezV3t8Q
K
2000 Post Club Member
2000 Post Club Member
K
29. Peyton - Own Composition. That was beautiful. I was in tears. Thank you to Marie J for convincing you to get a stand in piano. I wish you every chance to rebuild.

R
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
R
I'll write down my thoughts and try to say something interesting or useful whenever I see something that could be of use. Thanks to everyone for submitting, there's a lot of really good playing here!

02. Calavera - Ending Theme [from Final Fantasy VIII] You bring out the counterpoint at the start nicely, and it sounds very soothing. Good job with the fast left hand ostinato at the 2 minute mark. And it just gets better as it goes on. I'm impressed by the acuracy and attention paid to getting the atmosphere just right. Great work!

03. Mateusz 'Mati' Papiernik - Sonata in B minor, K. 27 Wow! This is splendid. I can imagine all the practice that must have gone into developing that consistent a touch.

04. Sam S - Cantilene Gorgeous sound!

05. Marklings - Sonata KV 280 in F Major, 1st part Very nice playing! If I were to give any suggestion for improvement, it would be to listen for legato in the right hand just a bit more.

06. MarieJ - Horizon Variations Nice, ambient sounding piece.

07. peterws - Bike Trip 4 Lots of nice harmonic ideas and rhythmic syncopation here.

08. PikaPianist - Adieu! I liked the rubato in this performance.

09. sinophilia - Prelude Op. 2 No. 2 I saw your video. Your playing is quite finger-y. Also, when you raise the hand, it is often clearly suspended. When you play with the pinky, for example, it doesn't seem quite supported by the rest of the hand. Try to think of circular motions and transferring the sound from one finger to another in order to get a legato touch. Try to rest your arm on the keys more. Practice relaxing the hand immediately after pressing a key.

10. AssociateX (Liz) - Sonata Op. 2 No 1 (1st movement) You have a good idea for how the piece should sound. From your video, I would focus on trying to cut down on extraneous motion. When you play the downward scales, for example, you raise your fingers all the way up. This slows you down a lot and also makes the sound a bit mechanical.

11. navindra (Navindra Umanee) - Bluebird Beautiful piano sound. I am jealous of your setup. You play with a lot of feeling, and it comes across! In order to get the thirds at 1:56 more even, try to think of them in pairs, and do a down-up movement for each pair. Practice each pair individually with the down-up motion and then tie it all together.

12. Kepijapa - Partita No.6 In E Minor, BWV 830 - 1. Toccata I really liked the Partita, and you do a good job of it. Your hand position is really good, and you get a lot of clarity from the fingers, which is excellent. If there's one thing I would recommend, it would be to think a bit more about freeing up the arm. Currently, it looks like you are suspending a little from the arm and using more of the fingers than is necessary, with a slightly hunched posture. I may be wrong, it is very hard to tell from this angle. Nevertheless, really good playing, and kudos to you for memorizing 9 minutes of Bach!

13. KevinM - Sonata in C K545 3rd Movement Rondo I like the way you played the Mozart, it is straightforward and easy to follow.

14. PianogrlNW (Ellen) - Variation Etude Interesting dissonances in the piece!

15. Rickster - Road to Somewhere Fantastic! Very nice piano parts. The piano playing is generally quite good. To improve it further, I would focus on crescendos and the like. When you repeat a figuration several times, try to figure out if you want to increase or decrease in volume each time, and that can add another layer to the playing.

R
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
R
Originally Posted by Rickster
Secondly, I don't believe I heard a single "beginner" in the group. I was impressed with all the performances, and some were quite advanced.
Yes, this surprised me as well. Everyone was at the very least intermediate, maybe even late intermediate. I certainly hope we're not driving away beginners from posting here!

K
2000 Post Club Member
2000 Post Club Member
K
28 Candela - Chess. I really enjoyed that. You have captured the feel of it so well. I am keen to try it for myself now.

F
F
Originally Posted by Qazsedcft
Originally Posted by Flygbladet
Actually, if you're talking about the falling accent (C-B) in measure 3, that's notated in the Henle edition. Andras Schiff plays it like that on the repeat. Personally, I don't think it sticks out.

Yes. I seen the answer. It just sounded odd to me and I went in to look at the score that was posted on the recital. So I understand it was added in by the score actually being used.. I just had to look up some other pianist playing this one and haven't yet found any one else using that ornament - but would like to find if you have one?

A
A
Originally Posted by ranjit
Yes, this surprised me as well. Everyone was at the very least intermediate, maybe even late intermediate. I certainly hope we're not driving away beginners from posting here!
I hope not, although I see some first-time posters in this recital, which is always great. Also, if you have a closer look, several posters have not been playing for that long (I include myself here). I guess it shows how passionate we all are for piano :DD

Some new comments from my side:

03. Mateusz 'Mati' Papiernik - Sonata in B minor, K. 27 Yeah!! more Scarlatti. Depending on the day, this one is my favorite Scarlatti sonata, I am glad you decided to work on it. It was a very nice listening experience, the voicing was on point, you never lost the singing melody and played nicely with the other voices. The sound of your piano is also lovely. The only tiny bit where I would still invest some time is on the trill on bar 27. You lost a bit the rhythm there to pair it with the right hand. But otherwise this was a very good submission. I cannot wait to reach a level like yours and tackle this beautiful sonata.

04. Sam S - Cantilene What a cool piece Sam! You are totally right, a lot of Debussy in there. I enjoyed it a lot. I think the recording set up worked great for chamber music. The piano could shine when needed but was never overbearing to the sound of the clarinet. How I'd wish to have someone so close to me to play chamber music together! Have you also played piano four hands together? That could also be a nice idea for an upcoming recital. Thank you for sharing Sam!

13. KevinM - Sonata in C K545 3rd Movement Rondo Good job Kevin! So nice you finished the Sonata! Is this your first sonata, or had you worked on another before? This movement seems tricky specially because of the recurring thirds on the main theme. The ending also seems a bit daunting. Great playing overall Kevin, thank you for sharing!

14. PianogrlNW (Ellen) - Variation Etude what a very beautiful and interesting set of variations! a lot of different moods in there. Your playing is outstanding as usual. A lot of expression, and a very versatile playing, which you manage to adjust to better suit each variation. The quality of the recording is also very high. I am now curious how you discover this set. The variation around 7:20 was my favorite of the set. Thank you for showing us some new music.

23. TBell - Bourree 1 and 2 from Cello Suite #3 Hi TBell! The Cello suites are such gems!! Cool that you chose an arrangement of them. I liked how you structured the Bourres. I think you did a good job and the tempo selection seems to work in both cases. I would only suggest to try to close some phrases to provide also a better sense of direction. Lovely submission smile

24. Saan - Sonata in E major, K 162 So cool that you submitted a piece Saan! Thank you showing me a Scarlatti sonata I had no heard before! and what a sonata this is. Both sections are so contrasting and the way it picks up steam in the Allegro section seems so fun to play. I think you did very well, lovely ornaments, in spite of the 5/3 trill (seems daunting), nice dynamic variations, specially in the first section. I did notice the spots where you hurry a bit as you mention, but this did not take anything away from the listening experience in my opinion. Good is that you are aware of them and can work on it. I deeply enjoyed this recording and will mark this sonata as a new favorite. Thank you for sharing smile

33. pianist685 (Constantin) - Consolation #3 Very expressive and lovely playing as usual Constantin! Your changes in tempo are so well chosen that it sets up such a great mood and atmosphere to the piece. I am taking note of this piece for how thirds should be voiced lol, great stuff. My only input would be to go for a more ppp sound for the left hand in some stages. But I am sure you have thought about this already. I also think the tempo you chose works great for the piece. I do not actually recall having listened to it at a much higher one. Thank you for sharing! :))

34. thepianoplayer416 - Blue Skies Lovely melody. I have to listen to the song now. I noticed you recorded this with your video camera. Have you considered recording the sound of the piano directly to your laptop? I think this will improve the quality of your recording and will also help you assess better your playing when listening back to your recording. Thank you for sharing.

43. Agrajag - Sonata No. 2 mvt. 3, Funeral March This is so good for the short time you have been playing, considering also that this is an old recording. Sick progress! I think you did great at voicing the chords in the first part, and used dynamics very well. I would have gone for a bit more in the ff part, but your intention was clear, so this is just a minor detail. The nocturne was lovely, no sign of rushing or anything similar and the long phrases were very nicely shaped. Also props to you for keeping going as nothing happened the couple of times you missed a note. This is something I am working on, so it is great you have such ability in your pocket already. Awesome playing Agrajag. Looking forward to your next submissions! laugh

44. Tyschoco - French Suite No.5 in G Major, Sarabande and Gavotte Awesome playing Tyschoco! Happy to keep listening more baroque in this recital. As others have already pointed out, I think you did a splendid job with these two dances. The Sarabande was very nicely voiced and the ornaments are great. You succeeded at keeping the dancy mood in the Gavotte, which sometimes can be tricky when one is focused on notes, voices, etc. Are you preparing the entire Suite for your examination? It'd be lovely if you share the rest at some point if that is the case. I would only suggest to add some variation, either in dynamics or voicing, on the repeats. I think with baroque music, there is a lot to explore on the repeated sections. Are you planning to add the repeats in the Sarabande as well? I vote for it! haha :P thank yo for sharing Tyschoco, your progress is outstanding.

Lisztomaniac, inspired adult beginner, Scarlatti fan
Sabel S123 (Tucan), and Kawai CA49. Previously: Casio PX-S1000
What I have been learning
Page 1 of 10 1 2 3 9 10

Link Copied to Clipboard
(ad)
Best of Piano Buyer
Piano Buyer - Read the Articles, Explore the website
(ad)
PianoDisc

PianoDisc
(ad)
Faust Harrison Pianos
Faust Harrison 100+ Steinway pianos
(ad)
Mason & Hamlin Pianos
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Line outs recording vs USB recording
by PianoStartsAt33 - 08/10/22 09:33 AM
I'm playing in a special recital!
by Sam S - 08/10/22 09:25 AM
Great Piano Tutorial
by Bart K - 08/10/22 03:54 AM
Piano mindset
by pablobear - 08/10/22 01:37 AM
Boston UP-118S opinions
by skern49 - 08/09/22 11:13 PM
Download Sheet Music
Virtual Sheet Music - Classical Sheet Music Downloads
What's Hot!!
FREE June Newsletter is Here!
--------------------
Forums RULES, Terms of Service & HELP
(updated 06/06/2022)
-------------------
Music Store Going Out of Business Sale!
---------------------
Mr. PianoWorld's Original Composition
---------------------
Sell Your Piano on our world famous Piano Forums!
---------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
-------------------
ADVERTISE on Piano World
Forum Statistics
Forums43
Topics214,326
Posts3,215,216
Members106,055
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010
Please Support Our Advertisers

Faust Harrison 100+ Steinways

Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver

Best of Piano Buyer

PianoTeq Bechstein
Visit our online store for gifts for music lovers

Virtual Sheet Music - Classical Sheet Music Downloads

Help keep the forums up and running with a donation, any amount is appreciated!
Or by becoming a Subscribing member! Thank-you.
Donate   Subscribe

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations | Pianos For Sale | Sell Your Piano |

Advertise on Piano World
| Subscribe | Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map | Free Newsletter | MapleStreetMusicShop.com - Our store in Cornish Maine

© copyright 1997 - 2022 Piano World ® all rights reserved
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission