2022 our 25th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Who's Online Now
27 members (clothearednincompo, crab89, JohnCW, Georg Z., David B, Fried Chicken, AlkansBookcase, 7 invisible), 1,169 guests, and 295 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
500 Post Club Member
OP Offline
500 Post Club Member
Don't think I've seen a list of this around here before. The Rachmaninoff polka immediately comes to mind. What would be your top 10?

M
M
Which Polka? cool This is my absolute favorite to play, especially as an encore, though it's fiendishly difficult!

Last edited by MasterRaro; 02/13/22 08:42 PM.
7000 Post Club Member
7000 Post Club Member
Francesco Libetta played the entire Rachmaninoff piano concerto No. 2 as an encore, lol

1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by Orange Soda King
Francesco Libetta played the entire Rachmaninoff piano concerto No. 2 as an encore, lol

Now THAT is what has been missing in the classical music world lately! I just love the moment when the second piano was wheeled in, and Libetta slowing down to give enough time for the second pianist to join in. The surprise and delight in the audience was palpable!

Soli Chopin gloria
Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by Rubens

Now THAT is what has been missing in the classical music world lately! I just love the moment when the second piano was wheeled in, and Libetta slowing down to give enough time for the second pianist to join in. The surprise and delight in the audience was palpable!
An amusing but rather silly and pretentious idea. Not a good encore IMO. Not sure if you were being serious but I can't imagine why you think this is what 's missing in the classical world. Without the orchestra the music doesn't even sound very good. Seems more like a show off stunt.

H
H
Here's what Marc-Andre Hamelin did at a 2004 recital at New York's Mannes College of Music:
Marc-Andre Hamelin is known for presenting music from the obscure corners of the repertoire, and his program for Friday night, July 16, was originally set to include a Sonata by Dukas (of “Sorcerer’s Apprentice” fame). However, a couple weeks before the performance, the listed program was changed to include the two last Sonatas by Beethoven, Op. 110 and 111, along with the previously listed Schumann and Liszt. The program distributed at the recital contained yet another change (more about that later), substituting Beethoven’s Op. 109 Sonata for Op. 111. * * * *

After at least four curtain calls [following his performance of Liszt's "Dante" Sonata], Hamelin finally sat down at the piano and announced that he was about to do something out of the ordinary. For those who felt “slighted” by the change in program, he said, he was going to play a long encore, and invited those who had to leave to depart before he started. I didn’t see anyone leave, but I don’t think anyone expected him to do what he did next: play the entire half-hour-long Op. 111 Sonata by Beethoven! What an encore! And what a performance….the best of the evening.

1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by pianoloverus

An amusing but rather silly and pretentious idea. Not a good encore IMO. Not sure if you were being serious but I can't imagine why you think this is what 's missing in the classical world. Without the orchestra the music doesn't even sound very good. Seems more like a show off stunt.

It's an encore, lighten up. The audience seemed to appreciate. The few miserable sourpusses who don't are free to leave. It's Rach 2, usually considered a crowd pleasing work. And long encores are not unheard of. Where others see a generous encore, you see something 'silly and pretentious'. Says a lot about you.

Soli Chopin gloria
Originally Posted by pianoloverus

It's an encore, lighten up. The audience seemed to appreciate. The few miserable sourpusses who don't are free to leave. It's Rach 2, usually considered a crowd pleasing work. And long encores are not unheard of. Where others see a generous encore, you see something 'silly and pretentious'. Says a lot about you.
Comments like "lighten up" and "says a lot about you" are inappropriate, arrogant, nasty, and rude. Same for calling those who don't agree with you"miserable sourpusses".

If a pianist wants to be generous with encores, he can just play a lot of them which I'm certainly not against and have experienced many times.

Last edited by pianoloverus; 02/14/22 11:38 AM.
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
I am not sure such 'commonly accepted' list makes sense. Encore should correspond to the main music program.
While Yuja Wang played Prokofiev's toccata as encore to his Concerto #3, she would not play it as encore to, say, a Mozart program, IMHO.

Personally, I'd prefer to hear some rarely played pieces or barely known composers in encore. Not some 'favorites'.

Wise men speak because they have something to say; Fools because they have to say something. (falsely attributed to Plato)
Vlad,
Adult beginner
M
M
It's funny how the op asked for a "top 10 encore list," and then it immediately somehow devolved into fights over Rach 2 and Op. 111. I've seen crazy stuff happen with encores too - like Kissin whipping out the Chopin 1st Ballade as a seventh encore (lol).

But what about the op's question? Here, I'll take a stab - by no means a top ten list, just a fun list of various composers, starting off with the polka that me and op both seem to like:

1. Rachmaninov - Polka de W.R.
2. Chopin - Op. 28, No. 16
3. Schumann - Träumerei
4. Brahms - Op. 118, Intermezzo
5. Mendelssohn - Spinning Song
6. Schumann/Liszt - Widmung
7. Moszkowski - Op. 72 No. 11
8. Couperin - Le Tic-toc-choc
9. Prokofiev - Sarcasm Op. 17 No. 3
10. Scriabin - Op. 8 No. 12

Totally random list - I could come up with hundreds more.

Last edited by MasterRaro; 02/14/22 02:25 PM.
5000 Post Club Member
5000 Post Club Member
I remember Luganski played this after a Rachmaninoff programme.

I love Sokolov's Couperin and Rameau encores.

1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
Hamelin is known for occasionally playing very long encores, depending on his mood and inspiration. In addition to the aforementioned Op.111, he also once played the full Sonata D960 by Schubert as an encore! How silly and pretentious of him, right? You wouldn't want to be part of the unlucky audience that has to suffer one of those recitals, right?

Soli Chopin gloria
Gold Subscriber
Gold Subscriber
Originally Posted by MasterRaro
[...] I've seen crazy stuff happen with encores too - like Kissin whipping out the Chopin 1st Ballade as a seventh encore (lol).
[...]

When does such a "seventh encore" become less of a response to an enthusiastic audience and more of an ego trip for Kissin?

Moderation in all things, right?

That said, I think that MasterRaro's list is certainly a list of oft-played, conventional encores which might please many in the audience:

1. Rachmaninov - Polka de W.R.
2. Chopin - Op. 28, No. 16
3. Schumann - Träumerei
4. Brahms - Op. 118, Intermezzo
5. Mendelssohn - Spinning Song
6. Schumann/Liszt - Widmung
7. Moszkowski - Op. 72 No. 11
8. Couperin - Le Tic-toc-choc
9. Prokofiev - Sarcasm Op. 17 No. 3
10. Scriabin - Op. 8 No. 12

Regards,

BruceD
- - - - -
Estonia 190
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by BruceD
Originally Posted by MasterRaro
[...] I've seen crazy stuff happen with encores too - like Kissin whipping out the Chopin 1st Ballade as a seventh encore (lol).
[...]

When does such a "seventh encore" become less of a response to an enthusiastic audience and more of an ego trip for Kissin?

Another silly and pretentious show off. Tsk tsk Kissin, shame on you.
Jokes aside, we must remember that those "crazy" encores are a double-edged sword for the performer. If you go for one of those, you better play it well enough or it could backfire monumentally and put a sour ending to a great recital. In the end, what matters is that everybody is having a good time.

Soli Chopin gloria
C
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
C
Well this one time ... wait, it has to be the greatest of all time ? Er, nevermind

A rising tide lifts all the boats
S
PW Gold Subscriber
PW Gold Subscriber
S
Hamelin is known for occasionally playing very long encores, depending on his mood and inspiration. In addition to the aforementioned Op.111, he also once played the full Sonata D960 by Schubert as an encore! How silly and pretentious of him, right? You wouldn't want to be part of the unlucky audience that has to suffer one of those recitals, right?

Don’t you think it’s time you lightened up?

1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by dogperson

Don’t you think it’s time you lightened up?

Haha. No, I've become a party-pooping kvetch like you-know-who. Chalk it up to bad influence.

Soli Chopin gloria
Unnecessarily sarcastic.

Although I think this is too long for an encore, it's far better than the Rach 2 in the two piano version which sounds quite poor without orchestra. And the Schubert much greater music IMO.

Some people would enjoy it but others would definitely find it far too long no matter how much they like the piece or Hamelin's playing. And their view would be perfectly valid.

5000 Post Club Member
5000 Post Club Member
The young Rudolf Serkin once asked a conductor what he should play as an encore following a concerto. The conductor jokingly suggested the Goldberg Variations, but young Rudolf took him at his word. When he finished his encore an hour later, the audience had left, apart from Artur Schnabel and Alfred Einstein (the musicologist).

1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by johnstaf
The young Rudolf Serkin once asked a conductor what he should play as an encore following a concerto. The conductor jokingly suggested the Goldberg Variations, but young Rudolf took him at his word. When he finished his encore an hour later, the audience had left, apart from Artur Schnabel and Alfred Einstein (the musicologist).

That's a good example of the double-edge sword I was talking about earlier. It's part of the excitement that comes with encores. With risky encores you can ignite the room ... or empty it. Not sure if Serkin was dejected by the reaction, though.

Soli Chopin gloria
Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  Brendan, platuser 

Link Copied to Clipboard
What's Hot!!
Piano World Has Been Sold!
--------------------
Forums RULES, Terms of Service & HELP
(updated 06/06/2022)
---------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
(ad)
(ad)
New Topics - Multiple Forums
How Much to Sell For?
by TexasMom1 - 04/15/24 10:23 PM
Song lyrics have become simpler and more repetitive
by FrankCox - 04/15/24 07:42 PM
New bass strings sound tubby
by Emery Wang - 04/15/24 06:54 PM
Pianodisc PDS-128+ calibration
by Dalem01 - 04/15/24 04:50 PM
Forum Statistics
Forums43
Topics223,384
Posts3,349,164
Members111,630
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations |

Advertise on Piano World
| Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map

Copyright © VerticalScope Inc. All Rights Reserved.
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission