2022 our 25th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Who's Online Now
32 members (Burkhard, 20/20 Vision, Charles Cohen, AlkansBookcase, brennbaer, cmoody31, admodios, 9 invisible), 1,231 guests, and 336 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
T
Tony Lu Offline OP
OP Offline
T
This is a somewhat strange question to ask. But I was wondering if anyone knows the cheapest digital piano that has wooden keys (at least all white keys). A few more things to add:
1. it needs to be new
2. it needs to be no more than 3 years old (so we are not really talking about pianos that came out in 2015)
3. no needs to worry about other features BUT wooden keys
I use Pianoteq for more realistic piano sound, so no needs to worry about that either.
Again, quite strange question here but I am hoping to get some thoughts from others. Thanks.
Tony

P
P
I know the Kawai CA49 at least here is one of the cheapest keyboards with the GFC action from the Kawai line-up. The P-515 also has wooden keys and is priced well in the US as well but that is now getting close to 4 years old I believe so I don't know how that fits for your criteria 2 but may be close enough to consider (Though some people find it heavy some people find it perfect always check it out as of course your mileage may vary). And of course, there is the VPC1 but it's definitely older than 3 years. I can't think of many others that fit the bill as cheap and has wooden keys.

[Linked Image]
_
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
_
The CA49/59 have been released in May 2020.
The GP310 is also from early 2020.
The CLP745 is fairly recent too, but not sure if the keys can be described as wooden (there seems to be a wooden core but combined with plastic parts, and it is a folded action).

If you're looking for a less than 3yo slab DP with wooden keys, you may be looking for a unicorn. The MP11SE and VPC1 are much older. The P515 is older too, and not entirely wooden.

P
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
P
Well

Roland FP-90x has white plastic keys with wood
Yamaha has white plastic keys with more wood but older than three years

Kawai CA49 2years old and has wood keys and if that is your number one criteria, i think that would be your best bet.

[Linked Image]

FP-90x, PX-330
C
4000 Post Club Member
4000 Post Club Member
C
Kurzweil MPS120 (wooden white keys): https://kurzweil.com/mps110_120/

Various Dynatone models with the RHA-3W action (wooden white keys): http://www.dynatone.biz/

A
2000 Post Club Member
2000 Post Club Member
A
Originally Posted by Tony Lu
This is a somewhat strange question to ask. But I was wondering if anyone knows the cheapest digital piano that has wooden keys (at least all white keys). A few more things to add:
1. it needs to be new
2. it needs to be no more than 3 years old (so we are not really talking about pianos that came out in 2015)
3. no needs to worry about other features BUT wooden keys
I use Pianoteq for more realistic piano sound, so no needs to worry about that either.
Again, quite strange question here but I am hoping to get some thoughts from others. Thanks.
Tony

Wooden keys aren't going to make DG's action feel good. The choice of wood has zero contribution to how well an action is designed. If keys were made out of solid plastic they were going to be much more expensive than solid wood, that's why we don't have solid plastic actions (the industrial process of making solid plastic keys will be very expensive).

VPC1 is your best choice and don't even think of buying something cheap because you will be the first and the last owner of "strange" instruments.

G
9000 Post Club Member
9000 Post Club Member
G
Like everything else out there, there are shades of gray in everything. OP, what do you mean by "wooden keys?" Does it have to be a full wooden keystick? Wooden core with some plastic OK? Half and half, or just some wood? Solely cosmetic/non-structural wood? Or just kind of look like wood even if it's all composite? And of course, does it matter for the black keys too, or is it OK just for the white keys to have/look like wood? There are actions that fit all of these criteria in various ways....

Bosendorfer D214VC ENPro
Past: Yamaha P-85, P-105, CP50, Kawai MP11, Kawai NV10
A
6000 Post Club Member
6000 Post Club Member
A
Since you don't care about its sound and are using Pianoteq, maybe a soundless controller would do? The Studiologic SL88 Grand has the Fatar TP/40WOOD action described at http://www.fatar.com/Pages/TP_40WOOD.htm - I don't know when the SL88 first came out, though, or if there are any qualifications to how "wooden" it is as has been mentioned for some others. But to answer your initial question, it is probably the cheapest option, at least.

3000 Post Club Member
3000 Post Club Member
If my memory is ok, Yamaha keys are in wood with a plastic part which surround the wooden core. Not a plastic core between two slim wooden sides.

But I confirm the point : the material doesn’t matter if the feeling is good.

Last edited by Frédéric L; 02/10/22 12:53 PM.

http://www.sinerj.org/
http://humeur-synthe.sinerj.org/
Yamaha N1X, Bechstein Digital Grand, Garritan CFX, Ivory II pianos, Galaxy pianos, EWQL Pianos, Native-Instrument The Definitive Piano Collection, Soniccouture Hammersmith, Truekeys, Pianoteq
P
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
P
I believe the fatar wood keys are not really wood but a “cast?” Polymer kostil.

You can see the new tp-400 wood clearly in this video at 3:13

[video:yahoo]
[/video]

And yes Yamaha has a solid chunk of would attached to plastic.

Roland smaller junks of would attached to plastic.

Kawai has the least expensive all wood keys,

FP-90x, PX-330
A
2000 Post Club Member
2000 Post Club Member
A
I actually prefer plastic over wood. It's not fully solid but good enough. Wood is not an ideal material and can be easily affected by moisture, heat, etc.

E
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
E
Originally Posted by Abdol
I actually prefer plastic over wood. It's not fully solid but good enough. Wood is not an ideal material and can be easily affected by moisture, heat, etc.

IMO wood is overrated. It can make sense in some parts of an acoustic piano (and IIRC, even Kawai is using carbon fiber on some parts of its APs). Ofc some folks say the DPs feel different based on material and perception is OK, but I wonder if on a blind test, these folks would be capable of distinguishing two actions similarly built (same pivot length etc.), one full plastic and other with wood, from each other.

Last edited by EVC2017; 02/11/22 03:17 PM.

Kawai ES8, Roland RD2000, Yamaha AG06 mixer, Presonus Eris E5 monitors, Sennheiser HD598SR phones.
M
500 Post Club Member
Online Embarrased
500 Post Club Member
M
Kawai has a full lineup of wooden keys and has been at this the longest. Low price is another matter. A VPC1 may be an alternative. A bit older but you may want to check it out.

Jon ...

Kawai CA67
A Tired, Retired, Dreamer ...
3000 Post Club Member
3000 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by EVC2017
Ofc some folks say the DPs feel different based on material and perception is OK, but I wonder if on a blind test, these folks would be capable of distinguishing two actions similarly built (same pivot length etc.), one full plastic and other with wood, from each other.

When I have tested GH3X and NWX, I had the a priori that the wood letter was simply a marketing thing made to make us buy the more expensive... what the point if they are balanced the same. Then I don't think thatt my conclusion about the difference was (too much) biased. But I have to admit I havn't made a blind test.

Same about AvantGrand... An a priori : what the point of duplicating the whole action if a simplified action is well balanced enough... I had big hope with Casio GP (named) Hybrid but a try made me conclude that the differnce is worth the difference of price.

Last edited by Frédéric L; 02/11/22 04:28 PM.

Yamaha N1X, Bechstein Digital Grand, Garritan CFX, Ivory II pianos, Galaxy pianos, EWQL Pianos, Native-Instrument The Definitive Piano Collection, Soniccouture Hammersmith, Truekeys, Pianoteq
G
9000 Post Club Member
9000 Post Club Member
G
Originally Posted by Frédéric L
Same about AvantGrand... An a priori : what the point of duplicating the whole action if a simplified action is well balanced enough...

Depends on what you're after I think, and how "balanced" is intended/defined. Presumably you can have very well balanced and also "not all that much like an acoustic piano" at the same time. In fact, I might suggest that the balanced feel of the keys isn't necessarily among most important things for at least some hybrid owners.

Bosendorfer D214VC ENPro
Past: Yamaha P-85, P-105, CP50, Kawai MP11, Kawai NV10
3000 Post Club Member
3000 Post Club Member
I mean by « well balanced », « balanced in such a way the feeling is close to an acoustic ».

T
Tony Lu Offline OP
OP Offline
T
Thanks for all the replies, everyone. I will look into the Kawai.

Z
Z
My vote for CA49. I have CA59 for 6 months already and I could not me more happy with the action (that is the same as on CA49).

Kawai CA59

Link Copied to Clipboard
What's Hot!!
Piano World Has Been Sold!
--------------------
Forums RULES, Terms of Service & HELP
(updated 06/06/2022)
---------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
(ad)
(ad)
New Topics - Multiple Forums
How Much to Sell For?
by TexasMom1 - 04/15/24 10:23 PM
Song lyrics have become simpler and more repetitive
by FrankCox - 04/15/24 07:42 PM
New bass strings sound tubby
by Emery Wang - 04/15/24 06:54 PM
Pianodisc PDS-128+ calibration
by Dalem01 - 04/15/24 04:50 PM
Forum Statistics
Forums43
Topics223,384
Posts3,349,166
Members111,630
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations |

Advertise on Piano World
| Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map

Copyright © VerticalScope Inc. All Rights Reserved.
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission