2022 our 25th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

Shop our online store for music lovers
SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Pianoteq
Steinway Spiro Layering
(ad)
Piano Life Saver - Dampp Chaser
Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver
(ad)
Wessell Nickel & Gross
PianoForAll
Who's Online Now
65 members (Abdol, AJB, BMKE, Calikokat, Animisha, B3boy, Catlady, 16 invisible), 696 guests, and 292 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
(ad)
Estonia Pianos
Estonia Pianos
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
C
OP Offline
C
Hello everyone. I have looked up and down on many places, yet for the life of me cannot find a single information on what piano action this digital piano used to have. It is not even listed on Yamaha's pages, unless I have missed something! As additional knowledge to attempt to find indirect information, I tried to search user comparisons between the CLP-300 to the more "modern" Graded Hammer Standard, but alas, there is also nothing there.

Unfortunately, I believe I have exhausted every avenue of information (including this forum itself!) regarding this and I am out of options. As a last resort I post here in the hopes that someone who has knowledge about it could chime in. I am not expecting much as it 35 years since then, but I usually tune to this forum as a long time lurker and there are some very specialized folks here.

3000 Post Club Member
3000 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by CocoArith
Hello everyone. I have looked up and down on many places, yet for the life of me cannot find a single information on what piano action this digital piano used to have. It is not even listed on Yamaha's pages, unless I have missed something! As additional knowledge to attempt to find indirect information, I tried to search user comparisons between the CLP-300 to the more "modern" Graded Hammer Standard, but alas, there is also nothing there.

Unfortunately, I believe I have exhausted every avenue of information (including this forum itself!) regarding this and I am out of options. As a last resort I post here in the hopes that someone who has knowledge about it could chime in. I am not expecting much as it 35 years since then, but I usually tune to this forum as a long time lurker and there are some very specialized folks here.

I believe that the quickest most effecient way to determine this is to email Yamaha.
I have found both Yamaha and Kawai to be very approachable, so that's what I would do in your case.

Instruments......Kawai MP7SE.............................................(Past - Kawai MP7, Yamaha PSR7000)
Software..........Sibelius 7; Neuratron Photoscore Pro 8
Stand...............K&M 18953 Table-style Stage Piano Stand
Piano stool.......K&M 14093 Piano stool
G
7000 Post Club Member
7000 Post Club Member
G
If these pictures can be trusted, it looks like an early version of the Graded Hammer (otherwise known as Graded Hammer Effect) key action:

https://syntaur.com/keyboard.php?keyboard=782

[Linked Image]

But it looks different from a modern GH action.

And it's definitely not GHS.

Bosendorfer D214VC ENPro
Past: Yamaha P-85, P-105, CP50, Kawai MP11, Kawai NV-10
C
3000 Post Club Member
Online Content
3000 Post Club Member
C
In the 80's they had "Action Effect" or just "AE" for example in the KX-88 and some PF models. Apparently there was also "Action Effect II" before they started the "Graded Hammer" naming scheme.

At least it isn't "Action Effect" (original) if the photos above are correct.

J
4000 Post Club Member
4000 Post Club Member
J
In the 1980s Yamaha's proprietary action was the "Action Effect" Keyboard. A google search shows it appears on the models CLP-250 and above, and was phased out by the mid-1990s in favor of the "Action Effect II" keyboard, and by 2000 or a little before, the Graded Hammer Effect keyboard was introduced. This then split off into Graded Hammer Standard, and Graded Hammer 3 which allowed for faster repetition and re-pedaling because of the three sensors. The latest models all have the Grand Touch keyboard, but the principles of the Action Effect can still be seen in the new actions, although the latest models are far more refined.

I know that the CLP-250 was around as early as 1988, and I know that there were touch sensitive hammer action keyboard before then, but I couldn't tell you exactly which generation of keyboard it was back then. It might be possible to find a service manual online for that model which will give you more information.

YAMAHA Artist
P
4000 Post Club Member
4000 Post Club Member
P
I own and still use a CLP-300 I bought new in 1986. I chose it based on the grand-like action. My own grand I loaned to a church while I was living in an apartment and needed a practice instrument to prepare for recitals. I can't tell what kind of action it has other than it is nicely weighted and has a great let-off which made it easy to transition a performance grand piano.

C
OP Offline
C
Thank you all for the replies. I knew asking the forum was the right thing.

Originally Posted by Doug M.
I believe that the quickest most effecient way to determine this is to email Yamaha.

I wish it was! Prior to this I did send a mail to them but it must have caught up somewhere. I tried sending another one just in case.

After reading all the replies, I took another healthy dive into the depths and found this webpage:

https://kr.yamaha.com/ko/products/contents/pianos/clavinova35th/chronicle/index.html

There's one product that's highlighted from the line-up per year. From here I browsed the year where CLP-300 was released and opened the only viewable one that was CLP-50. To my surprise, I had no idea what "ME Keyboard" actually was.

It took a hefty amount of searching, the information was so scarce that the next term I will say will probably make this thread appear in page one of the search engine for same minded searches (so hello there, fellow time travelers!). Apparently, Marshmallow Effect (ME) was a predecessor of Action Effect (AE) and one page describes it as "not as heavy as AE". Looking at the anniversary webpage, CVP-7 (1985) and (1986) CLP-50 uses this until AE was introduced in 1987 (CVP-100).

Originally Posted by Gombessa
If these pictures can be trusted, it looks like an early version of the Graded Hammer (otherwise known as Graded Hammer Effect) key action:

This is surprising! I had stumbled into this website prior to making the post, but I had no idea what I was looking at! Now with extra information and using the reference webpage, and assuming the website is indeed right, I could not find a replacement key for CVP-7 (and CLP-20) however CVP-5, CVP-3, CLP-30 use the same key. Going by this logic, the entire 1985 line has these ME actions.

https://syntaur.com/keyboard.php?keyboard=1151
[Linked Image]

What is confusing was CLP-50 also has the same key (and it was stated so in the product details, ME Keyboard), but CLP-300 on the same year has the same replacement keys as CLP-550 made in 1988! I am not sure if that means CLP-300 was the top of the line and thus upgraded at that time as I have no frame of reference from this.

Originally Posted by Joseph Fleetwood
and was phased out by the mid-1990s in favor of the "Action Effect II" keyboard, and by 2000 or a little before, the Graded Hammer Effect keyboard was introduced.

AE existed even before CLP-760, so would CLP-300 be AE1 then? Thank you for the quick piano action history too, I tried searching for manuals but found nothing.

Originally Posted by Yamaha 30th Anniversary
1990: This model also featured a new AE (Action Effect) keyboard mechanism which more accurately replicated the hammer action of the acoustic piano.
[CLP-760]

At least, that is what I can take from it. There is no need to mention AE there unless there was new developments to it.

Originally Posted by prout
I own and still use a CLP-300 I bought new in 1986. I chose it based on the grand-like action. My own grand I loaned to a church while I was living in an apartment and needed a practice instrument to prepare for recitals. I can't tell what kind of action it has other than it is nicely weighted and has a great let-off which made it easy to transition a performance grand piano.

Another CLP-300 owner! I honestly thought it was an endangered breed. wink I kept searching for other owners but posts date to a few years to a decade ago. If you do not mind the question, how are the modern Yamaha actions to you compared to the CLP-300? I took a bit of a look for your posts for some inspiration just now but I ended up seeing KX8 (GHS action if I recall) instead. The part of what you said about the action is true. However, it has been a long while since I touched any type of piano besides what I have now. Any sort of insight would be greatly appreciated.

Last edited by CocoArith; 02/08/22 12:14 AM.
P
4000 Post Club Member
4000 Post Club Member
P
CocoArith,

I have the CLP-300 since new, a KX8 - which I bought used and took with me on my jet (I was a pilot) to practice in my hotel rooms, and I have a M&H BB acoustic grand.

The CLP-300 when new was the top of the line Yamaha in 1986 and I believe the first DP with a close-to-grand piano feel. It certainly was miles above any other DP I looked at then. Its action over 36 years has softened greatly, but is still very useable. The KX8 is very similar in feel to me as the CLP-300 when it was new. Neither feels as close to my BB as some new DPs my pianist friends use, but no two acoustic pianos feel the same as each other either.

When I spent a week every six months training in the simulator for my jet (they cost more than the real airplane), the instructor always said, and she was correct, that one must treat the sim as if it were just another serial number of my model of jet. Every one has a slightly different feel and response. In 10 minutes I forgot I was in a sim just did my job.

Cheers

H
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
H
Hello,

... It certainly was miles above any other DP I looked at then...

Like... FL400? 🙂

When I spent a week every six months training in the simulator for my jet (they cost more than the real airplane), the instructor always said, and she was correct, that one must treat the sim as if it were just another serial number of my model of jet. Every one has a slightly different feel and response. In 10 minutes I forgot I was in a sim just did my job.

A very nice and wise analogy, and a nice read too!

Cheers and happy landings (on runways, keys, you name it),

HZ

P
4000 Post Club Member
4000 Post Club Member
P
Usually FL390, often FL410, but hated to wear the O2 mask, occasionally FL450 when the WX required it.

P
P
The AE88 keyboard is heavy but sturdy. Overhauling them will give you a comfortable touch. It's best to replace the contact rubber before it runs out of stock.

https://photos.app.goo.gl/5bAQbFaj9qfNZSxw5

--------------------------------------
Pro-TAC tuning and repair service.
pro-tac.jpn.org/
--------------------------------------

M
M
Yamaha

My goodness, just like today, they spawn models like flies on honey. How can they keep anything straight? And how can the folks understand the differences between a so many? Wow ...

Jon ...

Kawai CA67
A Tired, Retired, Dreamer ...

Moderated by  Piano World 

Link Copied to Clipboard
(ad)
Best of Piano Buyer
Piano Buyer - Read the Articles, Explore the website
(ad)
PianoDisc

PianoDisc
(ad)
Faust Harrison Pianos
Faust Harrison 100+ Steinway pianos
(ad)
Mason & Hamlin Pianos
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Which would you recommend and why - K8, K20 or U3?
by plumberpw - 08/17/22 08:00 AM
C2X Silent (SH2)?
by Jadam - 08/17/22 12:25 AM
Happy Birthday, Bill Evans!
by Dfrankjazz - 08/16/22 10:52 PM
F. Weber action removal
by DH83 - 08/16/22 11:33 AM
Download Sheet Music
Virtual Sheet Music - Classical Sheet Music Downloads
What's Hot!!
FREE June Newsletter is Here!
--------------------
Forums RULES, Terms of Service & HELP
(updated 06/06/2022)
-------------------
Music Store Going Out of Business Sale!
---------------------
Mr. PianoWorld's Original Composition
---------------------
Sell Your Piano on our world famous Piano Forums!
---------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
-------------------
ADVERTISE on Piano World
Forum Statistics
Forums43
Topics214,431
Posts3,216,947
Members106,103
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010
Please Support Our Advertisers

Faust Harrison 100+ Steinways

Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver

Best of Piano Buyer

PianoTeq Bechstein
Visit our online store for gifts for music lovers

Virtual Sheet Music - Classical Sheet Music Downloads

Help keep the forums up and running with a donation, any amount is appreciated!
Or by becoming a Subscribing member! Thank-you.
Donate   Subscribe

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations | Pianos For Sale | Sell Your Piano |

Advertise on Piano World
| Subscribe | Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map | Free Newsletter | MapleStreetMusicShop.com - Our store in Cornish Maine

© copyright 1997 - 2022 Piano World ® all rights reserved
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission