2022 our 25th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

Shop our online store for music lovers
SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Pianoteq
Steinway Spiro Layering
(ad)
Piano Life Saver - Dampp Chaser
Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver
(ad)
Wessell Nickel & Gross
PianoForAll
Who's Online Now
68 members (Bob17821, Azalingchan, AJB, accordeur, BMKE, Animisha, beeboss, 16 invisible), 1,018 guests, and 292 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
(ad)
Estonia Pianos
Estonia Pianos
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3
K
4000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
4000 Post Club Member
K
I sold a piano recently to a very good amateur pianist. The piano I sold was made in China. She had also been looking at a more famous made in Japan piano, which she also really liked.

She liked the made in Japan piano so much, she decided to buy it as well for her vacation house. She contacted the salesperson, told him what she bought from me, and before she could tell him she also wanted to buy his piano, he proceeded to tell her that she bought a falling apart piece of junk and would regret her purchase.

This woman is incredibly smart, successful, and plays the piano quite a bit better than the salesperson.

She decided not to buy the Japanese piano that she had every intention of buying prior to being informed how big a mistake she made.

She just bought an identical second piano from me instead.

Should I send that salesman a commission? He totally closed this deal for me.

Keith D Kerman
PianoCraft
Rebuilding & Sales - vintage and used Steinway, Mason & Hamlin
New Steingraeber, Estonia, Baldwin
www.pianocraft.net
check out www.sitkadoc.com/ and www.vimeo.com/203188875
www.youtube.com/user/pianocraftchannel

keith@pianocraft.net 888-840-5460
Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member
I am always amazed how some sales people don't realize how much bad mouthing a make they don't sell is such a turn off.

Good story, Keith, and certainly in your favor. It just goes to show that words are indeed the vehicle of thought, and when we convey our thoughts, through words, it can have repercussions, both good and bad.

In this instance, it was bad for the other salesperson, who should have keep his thoughts to himself for just a few more seconds, before scolding the lady for buying the other piano, and good for you in that you won the lady's confidence and trust enough to give you her business, not once, but twice.

Too bad the other salesperson couldn't have kept their mouth shut just for a bit, and considered his potential customer's thoughts and feelings more than their own... had he congratulated the lady, instead of berating the piano she bought from you, he may have made a substantial sale.

I don't think I'd send the other salesperson a commission, but send him an email thanking him, or send him the link to this thread. Maybe he can learn something from it. smile

All the best,

Rick

Piano enthusiast and amateur musician: "Treat others the way you would like to be treated". Yamaha C7. YouTube Channel
2000 Post Club Member
2000 Post Club Member
I hate badmouthing, I’d never buy from a dealer that did this. Very bad form. Happy for you, Keith! 👍

Lisa
Cunningham Studio Grand & Yamaha CLP645
Gold Subscriber
Gold Subscriber
I personally wouldn’t send him a commission nor a thank-you email. He’s a jerk and my feeling is: let him continue to show all of his potential clients that he’s a jerk’. People like him don’t deserve to be selling pianos.

"Music, rich, full of feeling, not soulless, is like a crystal on which the sun falls and brings forth from it a whole rainbow" - F. Chopin
"I never dreamt with my own two hands I could touch the sky" - Sappho

It's ok to be a Work In Progress
A
A
There are very few good sales people around. No matter what business.

Far fewer excellent sales people.

In my short time shopping for a piano I haven't meet a good one yet.

Sad.

Gold Subscriber
Gold Subscriber
I can't decide whether it might be a good lesson for the OP to let the other salesman know:
1) how interested and committed the customer was in purchasing one of the Japanese instruments in his showroom
2) how much his attitude and opinion turned the customer away, and
3) that the customer bought another of the same brand that the dealer had bad-mouthed.

Sometimes it is better to let sleeping dogs lie; sometimes it is may be beneficial that a lesson be taught. But commission? No, I don't think so!

Regards,

BruceD
- - - - -
Estonia 190
S
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
S
As someone who shopped for pianos in the Maryland suburbs of Washington DC, I felt that my experience was quite positive. No one was bad mouthing the competition. They just let me play their pianos and answered any questions I had. It makes me sad that someone had this kind of negative experience with one of the local dealers. I’m sure she will be very happy with her 2! new pianos. Maybe one day she will have as many as Rick!

Originally Posted by Sgisela
As someone who shopped for pianos in the Maryland suburbs of Washington DC, I felt that my experience was quite positive. No one was bad mouthing the competition. They just let me play their pianos and answered any questions I had. It makes me sad that someone had this kind of negative experience with one of the local dealers. I’m sure she will be very happy with her 2! new pianos. Maybe one day she will have as many as Rick!

Wow, two brand new pianos! Now that is starting off on the right foot as far as PAS (Piano Acquisition Syndrome) is concerned. smile

Of course, in Keith's story, the lady owned two homes in different places, so, technically, she only has one piano per house. But it would be nice to own multiple houses, with a new piano in each house! smile

Rick

Piano enthusiast and amateur musician: "Treat others the way you would like to be treated". Yamaha C7. YouTube Channel
M
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
M
Would-be Dealer #2 could be in a different place entirely, depending on the location of the weekend home. It's a nice to buy the Chinese-made piano, but does Keith represent the Japanese line in his own bailiwick? It would be a nice bit of spite to get the Japanese one from her home-town dealer.

Last edited by Maestro Lennie; 02/02/22 09:41 PM.
2000 Post Club Member
2000 Post Club Member
If only every salesman just realised how embarrassing it is for the customer to be told the piano he ìs interested is a piece of junk! It is after all what the customer is interested in, in other words what the customer likes as a piano that is being criticized.(apart from the negative way it can affect a good dealer)

C
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
C
I wish I could say I was surprised at the salesperson's behavior, but I can't. In fact, it seems to be the norm.

A rising tide lifts all the boats
F
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
F
I think you should definitely send him a commission.

If you will give me his contact information, I will be happy to call him and tell him where he can stick it when it arrives.

Amateur Pianist and raconteur.
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by Keith D Kerman
I sold a piano recently to a very good amateur pianist. The piano I sold was made in China. She had also been looking at a more famous made in Japan piano, which she also really liked.

For those not in the know, was it a Baldwin?

Originally Posted by cygnusdei
I wish I could say I was surprised at the salesperson's behavior, but I can't. In fact, it seems to be the norm.

I'm sure not all piano salespeople are like this, but many are, it seems.

Many years ago, when I first started shopping for a piano at dealers, I encountered the same behavior (trashing the competition or brands they didn't sell), if I happen to mention another dealer or another brand they didn't sell. No need to go into details, but yes, it happened to me too. Honestly, that is one of the reasons I decided to buy pre-owned from a private seller, on more than one occasion.

It's probably a common sales tactic, and not just within the piano business.

Rick

Platinum Supporter until December 31, 2022
8000 Post Club Member
Online Content

Platinum Supporter until December 31, 2022
8000 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by navindra
Originally Posted by Keith D Kerman

For those not in the know, was it a Baldwin?

That's what I was wondering! wink

How to Upload Pictures
“If it sounds good, it IS good.” ― Duke Ellington!

T
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
T
Yes, definitely send him a commission! $5 and a nice card explaining the situation oughtta do it 😆

2001 Petrof 125 -> 2002 Petrof IV -> 1999 Bösendorfer 225
500 Post Club Member
Online Content
500 Post Club Member
Have you seen the Glen Gould selection video in Steinway basement? The salesman there never shuts up nor says anything meaningful.

With all the information on the internet, who needs them!

C
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
C
(is the salesperson also on PW? if that's the case I gotta say this thread is rather cheeky)

A rising tide lifts all the boats
Originally Posted by cygnusdei
(is the salesperson also on PW? if that's the case I gotta say this thread is rather cheeky)

Was told once, by a high-profile piano pro member here, that the piano business was a relatively small world, collectively, and most everyone in the piano biz knew, or knew of, everyone else in the piano biz. So, it's quite possible the salesperson in question is a member here, or at least lurks on the piano forum?

Maybe, maybe not.

Rick

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  Ken Knapp, Piano World 

Link Copied to Clipboard
(ad)
Best of Piano Buyer
Piano Buyer - Read the Articles, Explore the website
(ad)
PianoDisc

PianoDisc
(ad)
Faust Harrison Pianos
Faust Harrison 100+ Steinway pianos
(ad)
Mason & Hamlin Pianos
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Music theory - Key identification
by Animisha - 07/06/22 11:21 AM
Yamaha P-125 String Resonance
by Petzold - 07/06/22 09:50 AM
Piano saver system? does everyone use this?
by NJ_Piano_Mom - 07/06/22 09:00 AM
Future-proof-ness of a silent acoustic grand
by Falsch - 07/06/22 08:03 AM
Haessler
by PianistEsq - 07/06/22 12:05 AM
Download Sheet Music
Virtual Sheet Music - Classical Sheet Music Downloads
What's Hot!!
FREE June Newsletter is Here!
--------------------
Forums RULES, Terms of Service & HELP
(updated 06/06/2022)
-------------------
Music Store Going Out of Business Sale!
---------------------
Mr. PianoWorld's Original Composition
---------------------
Sell Your Piano on our world famous Piano Forums!
---------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
-------------------
ADVERTISE on Piano World
Forum Statistics
Forums43
Topics213,828
Posts3,205,844
Members105,735
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010
Please Support Our Advertisers

Faust Harrison 100+ Steinways

Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver

Best of Piano Buyer

PianoTeq Bechstein
Visit our online store for gifts for music lovers

Virtual Sheet Music - Classical Sheet Music Downloads

Help keep the forums up and running with a donation, any amount is appreciated!
Or by becoming a Subscribing member! Thank-you.
Donate   Subscribe

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations | Pianos For Sale | Sell Your Piano |

Advertise on Piano World
| Subscribe | Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map | Free Newsletter | MapleStreetMusicShop.com - Our store in Cornish Maine

© copyright 1997 - 2022 Piano World ® all rights reserved
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission