2022 our 25th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

Shop our online store for music lovers
SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Pianoteq
Steinway Spiro Layering
(ad)
Piano Life Saver - Dampp Chaser
Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver
(ad)
Wessell Nickel & Gross
PianoForAll
Who's Online Now
51 members (8ude, Chris B, alans, Ed McMorrow, RPT, emenelton, AndrewJCW, Carey, 11 invisible), 846 guests, and 280 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
(ad)
Estonia Pianos
Estonia Pianos
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
P
Pro-TAC Offline OP
OP Offline
P
I guess the resumption of Asahi Kasei Electronics is good news for Yamaha.
The AKM plant fire and Corona were the cause of Yamaha's semiconductor shortage, but it is now on its way to being resolved.
If all goes well, maybe the supply of new and current products will be smoother.
Now if only the Covid would converge, it would be perfect....

https://www.akm.com/jp/ja/about-us/...S6bIS-D5x4RxD9F3X-n-rzkXWGOZWPlTDtfmZYqI

--------------------------------------
Pro-TAC tuning and repair service.
pro-tac.jpn.org/
--------------------------------------

P
5000 Post Club Member
5000 Post Club Member
P
I ask, again, do we have only one ‘chip factory’ in the whole wide world? If yes, why?

I’m sure we have more than just one factory making ‘lightbulbs’; more than one making ‘shades’; more than one making ‘toilet seats’, so why on earth does the world come to a complete halt because ‘one’ chip factory burnt down to the ground!

Call me old fashioned, but I think we should have at least ‘two’ of everything (as ordained by God to Noah).

P
500 Post Club Member
Online Content
500 Post Club Member
P
Frito lay has over 30 chip manufacturing facilities.

https://www.fritolayemployment.com/our-plants

FP-90x, PX-330
M
M
Originally Posted by Pete14
I ask, again, do we have only one ‘chip factory’ in the whole wide world? If yes, why?

I’m sure we have more than just one factory making ‘lightbulbs’; more than one making ‘shades’; more than one making ‘toilet seats’, so why on earth does the world come to a complete halt because ‘one’ chip factory burnt down to the ground!

Call me old fashioned, but I think we should have at least ‘two’ of everything (as ordained by God to Noah).

In most cases it works like this, that you as a customer think that there are dozens of factories, while actually the core product is made by one or in good case three factories in the world. It works like this is many industries.

N
NXR Offline
N
Three reasons: Price, price, and price.

"Chips" a.k.a. "integrated circuits" are extremely complex devices and there are millions of different ones, all with different designs. It takes time for their design, their testing, their fabrication, etc. And everyone wants to pay $5 for them in bulk which means the design and fabrication costs need spread over massive production runs.

The issue the auto makers ran into is they tend to stick with very old designs for many years, relatively speaking, so their chip manufacturers need big orders. Otherwise the chip manufacturers would focus on the newer higher-capability designs that they can charge for.

When the auto makers cut their orders due to COVID, those chip manufacturers shifted their production abilities to companies that were still buying. Then the auto makers wanted to restart their production of old devices and some of the chip manufacturers instead said "Nope. You need to update your designs for what we're building today."

You snooze, you loose, once again.

Casio builds their own chips so they were relatively unaffected in shipping their products.

It's the same with companies that decide to move their computing systems to "The Cloud". When you outsource your business-critical processes you have put your company's future in the hands of those outsourcers.

When Salesforce decided they didn't like weapons manufacturers, Salesforce notified those customers that they would not renew their contracts. That put them all at high risk of going out of business. This type of thinking will only increase in the future.

Last edited by NXR; 02/01/22 01:24 PM.

Kawai CA99, Satin Black
Yamaha P-121
Kawai X-150D
P
5000 Post Club Member
5000 Post Club Member
P
Are we saying that the ‘fire’ was deliberately set by ‘the factory’ in order to rid themselves of old-and-cheap orders from the likes of Ford, and start anew with more lucrative orders?

This is a major accusation, and, therefore, I demand evidence to support it!

Have we performed the proper forensics to determining the fire’s composition, duration, and, most importantly, causation?

Did it start in the basement, the fire?

Did it work its way down from the ceiling, the fire?

An accelerant, a smell, a certain hue, the color purple?

E
EPW Online Content
1000 Post Club Member
Online Content
1000 Post Club Member
E
I don't think they have a basement wink

Really the HD platters were basically sourced from one plant and when it flooded a few years ago it took months to resolve the shortage. It is the way of the industry.

In the hobby industry Digital Command Control Decoders are produced in the USA but a few raw circuits are yep made over-sea. So even basic DCC decoders were/are still in tight supply.

I hoping with this mishap Roland will of had the time to design a new chip for their Digital Pianos. Maybe I'll get my wish and a new model HP series will come out this fall.

Peace

All these years playing and I still consider myself a novice.
P
5000 Post Club Member
5000 Post Club Member
P
Originally Posted by EPW
Maybe I'll get my wish and a new model HP series will come out this fall.

Peace

Why do you insist on Roland, EPW, when Yamaha is so much better?

Heck, even the Arius beats most of Roland’s -overpriced- offerings!

Peace!

E
EPW Online Content
1000 Post Club Member
Online Content
1000 Post Club Member
E
I like the keyboard action for one Pete14 and I'm in the minority that likes what Roland is doing with their modeled approach.

But funds might dictate a Yamaha or a Kawai or even a Casio model in the future. With one child in College now and another this coming fall I shall keep pact for now.

All these years playing and I still consider myself a novice.
A
A

+1

Peter
--------------------------------
Yamaha U1 / Kawai CS11 / Kawai ES-120 / Hammond XK-3c
Working on: PCA Beginner Course and
Tim Richards - Improvising Blues Piano
E
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
E
Pete, the "factory" that makes a transistor is not the same that makes an analog integrated circuit, that is not the same that makes a gazillion transistors microprocessor (whether Intel or AMD or whatever). There are tens if not hundreds of processes, each one specific to each kind of component.

Besides, nowadays, with very few exceptions, there is no second sourcing of integrated circuits so it is not possible (most of the time) just replacing one with another. Not to mention there is that shortage (lead times are often of one year) due to high demand. It takes only one one-cent missing component to stop a production line, what to say when several, tens or hundreds of components (one-cent or otherwise) are missing.

I did not look at the specific factory, but some components are ASIC (application specific integrated circuits) or very specific parts that only one specific "factory" produces. Even when there are functionally similar products from different manufacturers, they are not pin or functionally compatible and so a redesign is required. If that part is on high demand... Well, I think you get the picture.

Are we saying that the ‘fire’ was deliberately set by ‘the factory’ in order to rid themselves of old-and-cheap orders from the likes of Ford, and start anew with more lucrative orders?

This is a major accusation, and, therefore, I demand evidence to support it!

Have we performed the proper forensics to determining the fire’s composition, duration, and, most importantly, causation?

Did it start in the basement, the fire?

Did it work its way down from the ceiling, the fire?

An accelerant, a smell, a certain hue, the color purple?

Last edited by EVC2017; 02/01/22 04:02 PM.

Kawai ES8, Roland RD2000, Yamaha AG06 mixer, Presonus Eris E5 monitors, Sennheiser HD598SR phones.
P
5000 Post Club Member
5000 Post Club Member
P
EVC, I’m certain there’s a load of these ‘components’ (you talk about) sitting in a warehouse somewhere in Californee!

You see, there is an old practice called the “hold & sold”: basically what you do is you ‘hold’ the crucial component(s) (in a warehouse, for example), and then you only give the customer a little taste of it, whilst claiming “there’s more coming, but it’s all sold, so you’ll have to wait a year for the next batch.”

A few minutes later, you -the customer- is making them an offer they can’t refuse, “okay, I’ll give you ten thousand for that there N1X”, and suddenly, they find that one spare N1X order was “coincidentally canceled a few minutes ago;” lucky you!

Granted, the ‘fire & higher’ scam is a little more sophisticated than the ‘hold & sold’, but still it is a scam, and I want my money back!

E
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
E
EVC, I’m certain there’s a load of these ‘components’ (you talk about) sitting in a warehouse somewhere in Californee!

More likely in China.

Last edited by EVC2017; 02/01/22 05:37 PM.

Kawai ES8, Roland RD2000, Yamaha AG06 mixer, Presonus Eris E5 monitors, Sennheiser HD598SR phones.

Moderated by  Piano World 

Link Copied to Clipboard
(ad)
Best of Piano Buyer
Piano Buyer - Read the Articles, Explore the website
(ad)
PianoDisc

PianoDisc
(ad)
Faust Harrison Pianos
Faust Harrison 100+ Steinway pianos
(ad)
Mason & Hamlin Pianos
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Two, Three and Four Hamburg Steinways in Concert
by Joseph Fleetwood - 08/11/22 10:32 PM
Dissonant overtones when mute rail is engaged
by MattH22 - 08/11/22 08:36 PM
Your piano teacher
by Dscally - 08/11/22 07:25 PM
To RD-2000 owners
by PianoStartsAt33 - 08/11/22 07:18 PM
Buying a Yamaha U1?
by ada d. - 08/11/22 05:31 PM
Download Sheet Music
Virtual Sheet Music - Classical Sheet Music Downloads
What's Hot!!
FREE June Newsletter is Here!
--------------------
Forums RULES, Terms of Service & HELP
(updated 06/06/2022)
-------------------
Music Store Going Out of Business Sale!
---------------------
Mr. PianoWorld's Original Composition
---------------------
Sell Your Piano on our world famous Piano Forums!
---------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
-------------------
ADVERTISE on Piano World
Forum Statistics
Forums43
Topics214,350
Posts3,215,600
Members106,065
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010
Please Support Our Advertisers

Faust Harrison 100+ Steinways

Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver

Best of Piano Buyer

PianoTeq Bechstein
Visit our online store for gifts for music lovers

Virtual Sheet Music - Classical Sheet Music Downloads

Help keep the forums up and running with a donation, any amount is appreciated!
Or by becoming a Subscribing member! Thank-you.
Donate   Subscribe

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations | Pianos For Sale | Sell Your Piano |

Advertise on Piano World
| Subscribe | Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map | Free Newsletter | MapleStreetMusicShop.com - Our store in Cornish Maine

© copyright 1997 - 2022 Piano World ® all rights reserved
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission