2022 our 25th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

Shop our online store for music lovers
SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Pianoteq
Steinway Spiro Layering
(ad)
Piano Life Saver - Dampp Chaser
Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver
(ad)
Wessell Nickel & Gross
PianoForAll
Who's Online Now
48 members (Chompoo, AJB, AndreaH, 80k, Carey, astrotoy, AprilE, Anevsky, axomas, 8 invisible), 3,437 guests, and 251 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
(ad)
Estonia Pianos
Estonia Pianos
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
1000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
1000 Post Club Member
Watching over some of Horowitz's performances, it seems his piano was regulated differently. Anyone know what the specs were like keydip, Blow distance, hammer weight, lead weights in keys etc?

Thanks in advance.
-chris

"Where TONE is Key, and Mammoths are not extinct."

Youtube https://tinyurl.com/5aw83b73

(ad)
Piano & Music Accessories
piano accessories music gifts tuning and moving equipment
A
A
Originally Posted by Chernobieff Piano
Watching over some of Horowitz's performances, it seems his piano was regulated differently. Anyone know what the specs were like keydip, Blow distance, hammer weight, lead weights in keys etc?

Thanks in advance.
-chris

Yes, I've done a fairly deep dive into that.

There were a number of his pianos, most are referencing a specific one, to clear that up first.

38-48 grams (numbers vary but all on super light side), extremely shallow, short blow distance, incredibly sensitive and amazingly easy to play, but very difficult to control, like a race car with power steering.

Tiny differences in touch equaled huge variations in sound. Concert pros who tried to play it expressed frustration.

The entire regulation of my Steinway grand is based on imitating that.

E
6000 Post Club Member
6000 Post Club Member
E
Franz Mohr told me that H. would become very resistant to replacing hammers when they were worn. Franz's "solution" was to put Jiffy Weights on the back of the keys when the hammers were nearly worn out, (That would mean there is lead on both sides of the balance rail.) so H. wouldn't "notice" much difference when the heavier, new hammers were installed and the Jiffy Weights removed.

Needless to say most pianists would find an action like that terrible to control.

By the way, H. would sound like H. on any reasonable piano. But what he was used to became rather extreme towards the latter part of his career.

In a seemingly infinite universe-infinite human creativity is-seemingly possible.
According to NASA, 93% of the earth like planets possible in the known universe have yet to be formed.
E
6000 Post Club Member
6000 Post Club Member
E
H. also like to play fortissimo on melody notes with the shift pedal fully engaged. He always wanted the hammers to clear the third string. H. was a genius at manipulating the passive coupler effects of a fully shifted action.

In a seemingly infinite universe-infinite human creativity is-seemingly possible.
According to NASA, 93% of the earth like planets possible in the known universe have yet to be formed.
1000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
1000 Post Club Member
Would you have any upweight and downweight info that would be his norm?

-chris

"Where TONE is Key, and Mammoths are not extinct."

Youtube https://tinyurl.com/5aw83b73

E
6000 Post Club Member
6000 Post Club Member
E
No. Nearly useless information anyway.

D
Gold Subscriber
3000 Post Club Member
Gold Subscriber
3000 Post Club Member
D
By the way, H. would sound like H. on any reasonable piano.

That's an important point, I think. There are two very short film clips of Horowitz playing pianos other than Steinway; a Becker and a Bechstein, and he still sounds like Horowitz.

I don't at all buy into the idea that Horowitz only sounded like he did because of a 'special' magic Steinway.

Last edited by David Boyce; 01/24/22 04:15 AM.
E
2000 Post Club Member
2000 Post Club Member
E
I played the piano shortly after it was retrieved from Horowitz/s N.Y. apt. and still back by the loading docks at the factory. Bill Garlic had been given the task of de-regulating the original set-up, but as he led me back to the piano told me that he had left the fifth octave just as he found it. The hammers were worn, and there was little weight to the piano. Let-off was set just at the excursion zone, and some hammers would graze the string on a second note while the sos. was held down. Drop was set nearly at let-off and the dampers lifted late. Dip was right about .375" and aftertouch was on the shallow side. Springs were fairly soft and the checking was quite high. Brittle sound and hard to control, but that is the way he liked it.

After the factory "restored" the piano and sent it out on tour, Vanderbilt was the second stop. I was able to go in early the next a.m. and take a closer look. It was completely different, in that new action parts were in there, and they appeared to be stock factory parts. I also had time to measure the bearing on the soundboard, which was original. There almost wasn't any! one or two graduations on the Lowell gauge on the bass bridge, one click across the center of the board, three at the top octave. The board had a lot of response in it, though.
Regards,

A
A
I had the displeasure of serving a client with vastly more money than common sense once.

(Also more self-absorbed arrogant entitlement than the sun has photons... unpleasant from beginning to end of our brief relationship.)

It's not the piano part that's relevant to this topic though.

He was a collector of many rare and expensive things, foremost of which were classic cars.

I apologize for not remembering the details, not into cars at all, and certainly not race cars, but anyway...

He'd bought some race car that'd won some famous race driven by some famous race car driver.

He was under the impression that if he owned that car, he could drive like the racer who won the race.

For some unfathomable reason, his driving was no better or worse in the race car than his other cars.

He wanted to sue *somebody*, but his lawyer talked him out of it.

A car is a car is a car, and a piano is a piano is a piano.

A Maserati isn't a Yugo and a Fazioli isn't a Daewoo obviously, but it will always come down to the skill of the operator of any machine, be it an abacus or a quantum computer.

W
W
Horowitz himself was probably 95% factor of Horowitz's sound. There is a video I watched of him trying out different steinways in the factory. He sounds like Horowitz on all of them smile

G
2000 Post Club Member
2000 Post Club Member
G
When I listen to his playing on my cd “Horowitz in Moscow” there is a very subtle but unmistakable sound that indicates let off is closer than I would set it especially in the mid range and above A4 I hear the hammer try to block the strings slightly at light to medium pressure playing. It seems to interfere with sustain at times. But again, very subtle and not noticeable at forte or harder.
Actually, if you do the test for let off too close in that range of the compass as Steve Brady describes in his book “under the lid” this is close to what I hear.

Last edited by Gene Nelson; 01/24/22 04:05 PM.

RPT
PTG Member
A
A
Gene, that is actually quite fascinating, thank you!!!

Last edited by An Old Square; 01/24/22 06:39 PM.

Platinum Supporter until December 31, 2022
8000 Post Club Member
Online Content

Platinum Supporter until December 31, 2022
8000 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by An Old Square
A car is a car is a car, and a piano is a piano is a piano.

Yeah, but somewhere out there on a car forum there's a car guy saying:

I apologize for not remembering the details, not into pianos at all, and certainly not concert pianos, but anyway...
He'd bought some piano that'd been used in some famous competition by some famous pianist.
He was under the impression that if he owned that piano, he could play like the guy who won the competition.

wink

How to Upload Pictures
“If it sounds good, it IS good.” ― Duke Ellington!

R
2000 Post Club Member
2000 Post Club Member
R
Originally Posted by Walkman
Horowitz himself was probably 95% factor of Horowitz's sound. There is a video I watched of him trying out different steinways in the factory. He sounds like Horowitz on all of them smile

Isn't that the truth. It brings to mind something I read on a guitar forum that I found both true and mildly amusing. People were discussing tone, and all the best components and guitars to get it. Finally, one person wrote that the best way to improve your tone is to practice more. Ha!

B
BDB Offline
Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member
Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member
B
I went to a Horowitz concert once when I was just starting out working on pianos. I thought the playing was incredibly virtuosic, but he made a lot of slips, and the piano sounded terrible.

Later I heard pianists that I thought were as virtuosic or more, Bobby Enriquez and Dorothy Donegan, and they were playing on the pianos that were available, not anything they brought. Maybe Hirome is up there, too. And there are others who displayed their incredible talents in other ways.

Semipro Tech
D
Gold Subscriber
3000 Post Club Member
Gold Subscriber
3000 Post Club Member
D
Horowitz can be seen playing Tchaikovsky's Becker piano (from about halfway in) here:

and Scriabin's piano (not sure what make) here:

O
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
O
In Italy in 1985 he was provided with a Hamburg Steinway C for his hotel suite. According to Franz Mohr this was a Milano showroom piano, not some particular instrument prepared according to magic wizardry.

L
LJC Offline
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
L
H's piano was unique. It had a nasal sound I have not heard on any other model D and I have played a bunch of them including my own. However, Mr. H did get the best sound. I remember reading about how he explained to a young pianist that when playing chords you need to make sure all the notes sound at once. After I read that I made an effort to do the same, especially since I play a lot of Rachmaninoff with so many big chords. Having concentrated on that I began to improve on that by making the top note stand out. Years later I am still working on it. H. was a master at it, and doing this will improve your sound. I played H's piano both before and after the work was done on it. It lost that nasal sound after the work.

D
Gold Subscriber
3000 Post Club Member
Gold Subscriber
3000 Post Club Member
D
In the Horowitz in Moscow documentary that was shown on TV here at the time, Franz Mohr comments that Horowtiz "Likes a certain nasal-ness" (as nearly as I can remember the quotation, but he did mention nasal-ness).

Last edited by David Boyce; 01/30/22 11:06 AM.
D
Gold Subscriber
3000 Post Club Member
Gold Subscriber
3000 Post Club Member
D
THis is the video of Franz Mohr talking about Horowitz's piano while working on it at the Moscow Conservatory. From 2:40 in:

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  Piano World 

Link Copied to Clipboard
(ad)
Best of Piano Buyer
Piano Buyer - Read the Articles, Explore the website
(ad)
PianoDisc

PianoDisc
(ad)
Faust Harrison Pianos
Faust Harrison 100+ Steinway pianos
(ad)
Mason & Hamlin Pianos
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Learn to Burn!
by Dfrankjazz - 07/01/22 12:36 AM
Summer school in UK
by FarmGirl - 06/30/22 11:12 PM
Recommended tech in NYC?
by skern49 - 06/30/22 07:39 PM
UEFI / BIOS settings regarding CPU
by David Lai - 06/30/22 07:26 PM
When you play the real Rhodes...
by Rhodes74 - 06/30/22 06:23 PM
Download Sheet Music
Virtual Sheet Music - Classical Sheet Music Downloads
What's Hot!!
FREE June Newsletter is Here!
--------------------
Forums RULES, Terms of Service & HELP
(updated 06/06/2022)
-------------------
Music Store Going Out of Business Sale!
---------------------
Mr. PianoWorld's Original Composition
---------------------
Sell Your Piano on our world famous Piano Forums!
---------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
-------------------
ADVERTISE on Piano World
Forum Statistics
Forums43
Topics213,754
Posts3,204,571
Members105,685
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010
Please Support Our Advertisers

Faust Harrison 100+ Steinways

Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver

Best of Piano Buyer

PianoTeq Bechstein
Visit our online store for gifts for music lovers

Virtual Sheet Music - Classical Sheet Music Downloads

Help keep the forums up and running with a donation, any amount is appreciated!
Or by becoming a Subscribing member! Thank-you.
Donate   Subscribe

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations | Pianos For Sale | Sell Your Piano |

Advertise on Piano World
| Subscribe | Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map | Free Newsletter | MapleStreetMusicShop.com - Our store in Cornish Maine

© copyright 1997 - 2022 Piano World ® all rights reserved
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission