2022 our 25th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Who's Online Now
50 members (Cheeeeee, Carey, Dalem01, danno858, CharlesXX, Aleks_MG, accordeur, brdwyguy, 9 invisible), 2,030 guests, and 337 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3

Platinum Supporter until November 30 2022
Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member
Online Content

Caleb's Mom might want to scroll through the following current PW thread to see what others here feel about the ES920. smile

http://forum.pianoworld.com/ubbthreads.php/topics/3189306/1.html

Mason and Hamlin BB - 91640
Kawai K-500 Upright
Kawai CA-65 Digital
Korg SP-100 Stage Piano
YouTube channel - http://www.youtube.com/user/pianophilo
Ajax69 #3189347 01/28/22 01:23 PM
C
OP Offline
C
Originally Posted by Ajax69
Whatever piano you end up buying, I just want to congratulate Caleb on his choice of Mother. It really warms my heart to see the work and commitment you put into this to make the best for your son!

Stay safe and Best of luck with your search!
Awww.....thank you so much! I needed to hear that, as I'm feeling quite like a failure right now.
Blessings

C
OP Offline
C
Whatever piano you end up buying, I just want to congratulate Caleb on his choice of Mother. It really warms my heart to see the work and commitment you put into this to make the best for your son!

Stay safe and Best of luck with your search!
Awww.....thank you so much! I needed to hear that, as I'm feeling quite like a failure right now.
Blessings
Originally Posted by pppianomarc
Originally Posted by calebsmum
I'm also thinking about taking him on a road trip camper van style for a couple months visiting family and [...] I can take the keyboard out of a cabinet stand if need be and leave the cabinet behind.

This thought has a lot of appeal, but I recommend against leaving the cabinet behind. If your son is serious about piano playing and practices daily, he also needs a stand (and bench, and light) during this couple of months. The keys need to be firmly supported at the usual height, otherwise his back, arms, and tendons will be unnecessarily stressed, resulting in fatigue and possibly even injury.
Good point, hadn't thought of that. smirk Another layer....

A
A
carey, thinking portability because we move alot, and I'm also thinking about taking him on a road trip camper van style for a couple months visiting family and would love for him to have it with us. The kawai es920 and yamaha p515 are the only ones I know of that I can take the keyboard out of a cabinet stand if need be and leave the cabinet behind.

As an alternative you might consider a second - more portable - slab piano + stand for your camper. I'm thinking e.g. 'bout the Korg D1, which has a very decent (IMHO) key action and is very neat and rather light (in spite of the full 88 keybpard). And it can easily be stowed away if needed.

And there's lots of other candidates if you should wish to go that way. And thus can get a more permanent instrument for your home.

Last edited by Ajax69; 01/28/22 01:33 PM.

Peter
--------------------------------
Yamaha U1 (sold) / Kawai CS11 / Kawai ES-120 / Hammond XK-3c
Working on: PCA Beginner Course and
Tim Richards - Improvising Blues Piano
Carey #3189351 01/28/22 01:35 PM
C
OP Offline
C
Originally Posted by Carey
Caleb's Mom might want to scroll through the following current PW thread to see what others here feel about the ES920. smile

Interesting page, thanks for that. I have to be honest, it makes me wish that I weren't looking at stage pianos but able to stick with what he wants, a cabinet style. He has no need or desire for all of the bells and whistles, just wants a piano. But as with most things in life, we sometimes have to adjust our expectations to fit our situation. smirk
It turns out I contacted a piano store that has both the ca49 and the es920 available which seems to be just my luck! But I have to decide today. Thank you all for all of your kind help and suggestions, I would have felt more lost without your advice.
Blessings

Ajax69 #3189352 01/28/22 01:36 PM
C
OP Offline
C
carey, thinking portability because we move alot, and I'm also thinking about taking him on a road trip camper van style for a couple months visiting family and would love for him to have it with us. The kawai es920 and yamaha p515 are the only ones I know of that I can take the keyboard out of a cabinet stand if need be and leave the cabinet behind.

As an alternative you might consider a second - more portable - slab piano + stand for your camper. I'm thinking e.g. 'bout the Korg D1, which has a very decent (IMHO) key action and is very neat and rather light (in spite of the full 88 keybpard). And it can easily be stowed away if needed.

And there's lots of other candidates if you should wish to go that way. And thus can get a more permanent instrument for your home.
Yes, wouldn't that be perfect, but I'm not swimming in that kind of money right now laugh
Thanks though for the idea.

Ajax69 #3189360 01/28/22 02:04 PM
C
OP Offline
C

Although, that's technically what I"m trying to do now, get him the es for portability and maybe later the ca or acoustic for the home.

Online Content

Interesting page, thanks for that. I have to be honest, it makes me wish that I weren't looking at stage pianos but able to stick with what he wants, a cabinet style. He has no need or desire for all of the bells and whistles, just wants a piano. But as with most things in life, we sometimes have to adjust our expectations to fit our situation. smirk
It turns out I contacted a piano store that has both the ca49 and the es920 available which seems to be just my luck! But I have to decide today. Thank you all for all of your kind help and suggestions, I would have felt more lost without your advice. Blessings
Please let us know what you ultimately decide to do. Any decision will be a good one. Also - I sent you private message. Cheers -

Kawai K-500 Upright
Kawai CA-65 Digital
Korg SP-100 Stage Piano
Carey #3189373 01/28/22 02:45 PM
C
OP Offline
C

It turns out I contacted a piano store that has both the ca49 and the es920 available which seems to be just my luck! But I have to decide today. Thank you all for all of your kind help and suggestions, I would have felt more lost without your advice. Blessings
Please let us know what you ultimately decide to do. Any decision will be a good one. Also - I sent you private message. Cheers -
thank you!!!

M
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
M
The Kawai CA79 does come apart. Here is the Manual and look at Page 86.

I have it's cousin the CA67. Cabinet construction is the same. Having had other Kawai pianos, this one has a lower 'box' that makes a big difference in the sound. Not as good as the 9x Series with Soundboard, but mighty close. The keyboard is fantastic.

This will be heavier than a normal 'slab' keyboard. But I wouldn't let that influence me too much as, you only move it now and then. Btw, lugging the 9x Series takes two good men.

Good Luck on your decision ...

https://kawaius.com/wp-content/uploads/2020/01/Kawai-CA79-CA99-Owners-Manual.pdf

Jon ...

Kawai CA67
A Tired, Retired, Dreamer ...
McBuster #3189459 01/28/22 08:44 PM
C
OP Offline
C
Oh man! That's the piece of info I was curious about. And just after I made the choice and clicked purchase. smirk
Oh well, it would have been harder to get that one anyway as far as I know. Thank you so much.

C
OP Offline
C
Ok, drumroll.....I ended up getting the es920.

Key factors were, convenience of portability for moving but new, upgraded Kawai sound; ability to upgrade it into a cabinet style with triple pedals as money allows; and it's definitely a big step up from what he has now and will suffice until, hopefully, one day an acoustic is possible. Also, not unimportantly, I found a store who had it in stock and could get it here in time for his birthday next week, although they are charging me a bit to ship it. smirk
I'm so excited for him to finally get it! laugh

Thank you all so much for all of your help and support, it is much appreciated. i'll hop back on after we get it and let you know what we think. smile

Last edited by calebsmum; 01/28/22 09:01 PM.
C
OP Offline
C
OH...and i asked the store owner about the main issue I heard about as a problem, the build quality, and he said he's never heard a complaint from anyone. He also said, for anyone struggling with this decision as I was, that he even has a professional pianist (teacher) rent that particular keyboard anytime she needs something portable because she prefers it. That made me feel better.

Online Content

Very happy for you and Caleb. I figured you'd end up with the ES920 after doing your due diligence and I know Caleb will be pleased with it. Congratulations. In lieu of the wood cabinet, do you have a basic X braced keyboard stand to put it on?

Kawai K-500 Upright
Kawai CA-65 Digital
Korg SP-100 Stage Piano
Carey #3189504 01/29/22 02:28 AM
C
OP Offline
C
Very happy for you and Caleb. I figured you'd end up with the ES920 after doing your due diligence and I know Caleb will be pleased with it. Congratulations. In lieu of the wood cabinet, do you have a basic X braced keyboard stand to put it on?
Thank you! Well, I would have loved to do one of the CA's, but timing...And yes, a basic x stand that his current casio sits on; I wonder if that will suffice until I can get the cabinet?

Online Content

Thank you! Well, I would have loved to do one of the CA's, but timing...And yes, a basic x stand that his current casio sits on; I wonder if that will suffice until I can get the cabinet?
It should - BUT is it a single or double X braced stand? Double X braced is more stable. If single, you might want to ask the dealer if a single braced stand will be sufficient for the es920. Is the old Cascio a full 88 key keyboard?

Kawai K-500 Upright
Kawai CA-65 Digital
Korg SP-100 Stage Piano
P
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
P
If you re going to get the wood cabinet, the x stand should be fine in the interim.

I’d give it a try anyway.

One nice things about stands is that they are height adjustable and along with a height adjustable bench you can get it adjusted properly for people who are shorter or taller than average.

FP-90x, PX-330
C
OP Offline
C
Thanks Purdy.
Carey, his current casio is not an 88 key, but with the 920 supposedly being so light, I'm hoping the current single x stand will suffice for now.

E
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
E
Thanks Purdy.
Carey, his current casio is not an 88 key, but with the 920 supposedly being so light, I'm hoping the current single x stand will suffice for now.

Make sure it can stand (no pun intended) the heavier keyboard. Also make sure it is safely locked before putting the ES920 on it so that it does not collapses. Youtube is full of videos showing stands collapsing on stage on live performances.

Kawai ES8, Roland RD2000, Yamaha AG06 mixer, Presonus Eris E5 monitors, Sennheiser HD598SR phones.

Online Content

Thanks Purdy.
Caleb is going to love playing a full 88 key piano. smile

Here's a thought. Since portability is a priority for the future, perhaps there is no reason to buy a fixed wood stand. Instead you could simply purchase the GFP-3 Triple Pedal unit, so your son can learn to use all three pedals as he would on an acoustic grand.

https://www.kraftmusic.com/kawai-gfp-3-triple-pedal-unit.html

Perhaps you can also upgrade to a more stable double X stand. New double X stands can be found on the internet starting at $40.00.

But what you have should be fine for the time being.

Kawai K-500 Upright
Kawai CA-65 Digital
Korg SP-100 Stage Piano
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3

Link Copied to Clipboard
What's Hot!!
Piano World Has Been Sold!
--------------------
Forums RULES, Terms of Service & HELP
(updated 06/06/2022)
---------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
(ad)
(ad)
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Recommended Songs for Beginners
by FreddyM - 04/16/24 03:20 PM
New DP for a 10 year old
by peelaaa - 04/16/24 02:47 PM
Estonia 1990
by Iberia - 04/16/24 11:01 AM
Very Cheap Piano?
by Tweedpipe - 04/16/24 10:13 AM
Practical Meaning of SMP
by rneedle - 04/16/24 09:57 AM
Forum Statistics
Forums43
Topics223,392
Posts3,349,302
Members111,634
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations |

Advertise on Piano World
| Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map

Copyright © VerticalScope Inc. All Rights Reserved.
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission