2022 our 25th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

Shop our online store for music lovers
SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Pianoteq
Steinway Spiro Layering
(ad)
Piano Life Saver - Dampp Chaser
Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver
(ad)
Wessell Nickel & Gross
PianoForAll
Who's Online Now
95 members (anotherscott, Animisha, Burkhard, brennbaer, brdwyguy, achoo42, Adem, 21 invisible), 734 guests, and 327 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
(ad)
Estonia Pianos
Estonia Pianos
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
C
500 Post Club Member
OP Offline
500 Post Club Member
C
Recently my piano developed an imperfect damper syndrome at A3 (slight but annoying), on top of a creaky damper pedal problem that had been around longer. So finally it was time for me to pull the trigger of my WD-40 - the thought was at least I should be able to fix the creaky pedal myself. Having failed to eliminate the creaky noise by spraying WD-40 at the base of the pedal, I figured out that the source of the friction was actually at the prop and bushing (in the diagram below it's called 'hook'). So after a couple sprays targeting that point, the problem was fixed. Creaky noise gone!

But here's the thing: the next day, the damper problem at A3 ALSO got fixed on its own. I did nothing there, but how? My guess: the volatile organic solvent from the residual WD-40 somehow was able to permeate the damper mechanism and did whatever lubrication was necessary. I mean, my piano is in a small room and it did smell like solvent for a while before it totally dissipated a few days later. Does this seem plausible to you?

PS: Another question. It looks that the prop itself is not essential to the pedal mechanism. Do some pianos not have props at all? That would avoid the creaky problem altogether.

[Linked Image]

A rising tide lifts all the boats
(ad)
Piano & Music Accessories
piano accessories music gifts tuning and moving equipment
E
2000 Post Club Member
2000 Post Club Member
E
WD-40 was designed for water displacement and has been responsible for more expense in piano problems than any other substance I have encountered in 45 years of repair. If you have to treat squeaks, start with talcum powder, as it is almost as effective as graphite and doesn't set up future problems.
If the volatile solvents were capable of migrating in sufficient quantity to "solve" damper problems, they may also be capable of solving whatever friction problems that might be found in the pin block....
regards,

C
500 Post Club Member
OP Offline
500 Post Club Member
C
You know it did cross my mind regarding the pin blocks, but it's been 2 weeks and I haven't noticed tuning going south - I mean any more than it was already 😅. Funny thing about the talcum powder a.k.a. baby powder, because the (intended) lubricating agent in WD-40 is mineral oil a.k.a. baby oil. Such are the troubles taking care of a baby grand 😆

S
S
Personally I’ve never seen the hook /lever interface as a source of noise. It’s often the pedal rod/lever due to the sliding friction (the lever travels in an arc). Sometimes the pitman in older Steinways.

Is the hook needed? Well, try detaching the lyre and the remounting.
You’d see that without something holding the levers in place remounting the lyre would be a real pain.

D
D
That "hook" is the Damper Lever Stop Hook. In the June 2016 PTG Journal in the Tips Tools & Techniques column—you are familiar with that column aren't you, Scott?!—I told of a problem and solution for a missing hook:

I service a Baldwin SD-10 that is transported between two locations a few times a year.When the lyre was removed for the move, the damper lever dropped too low and the pin on the damper lift dowel came out of the hole in the damper lift rail. When the movers reattached the lyre, the pin jammed against the damper lift rail. Many grands have an L-shaped “damper lever stop hook” that keeps the lever from dropping too low. This piano apparently used a rubber strap for this purpose, but the strap was broken.The supply houses I called did not have the L-shaped hook, but I got a helpful tip: Make one with a backcheck wire. It was an easy solution that solved the problem

David Bauguess
B
BDB Offline
Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member
B
I have had problems with Yamahas where the pitman falls out from the damper lift rail when the piano is moved, even with a stop for the lever. The solution is to pull the pin out of the pitman enough so it does not fall out. This would happen even when it was not moved on a piano with a bass damper lift pedal. The damper pedal pitman would lift the bass damper lift enough for the bass damper pitman to move, jamming the bass dampers up.

Semipro Tech
S
S
David,
Thanks for that info. I don’t specifically remember that from the 2016 ttt—I think that was a year or two before I took over.

BTW, I recently came to an old grand that had been moved. I was handed a box with all the trapwork parts. The movers had, for some reason, decided to remove everything down there. I was able to reinstall everything, but had to condemn the kranich and Bach anyway for a variety of reasons.
Scott

C
500 Post Club Member
OP Offline
500 Post Club Member
C
I realize now that there are variations in trapwork designs - that's why it took a while to figure out what the thing is actually called. FWIW, on my piano the support is not of the 'hook' type as in the picture below, but of the 'prop' type, which goes through the lever (hence the friction).

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

B
BDB Offline
B
Since it is just a stop, no matter what shape it is, it should not touch any of the trapwork except when the lyre is removed. That said, just about anything can vibrate. Often just moving something a little can make it stop.

Semipro Tech

Moderated by  Piano World 

Link Copied to Clipboard
(ad)
Best of Piano Buyer
Piano Buyer - Read the Articles, Explore the website
(ad)
PianoDisc

PianoDisc
(ad)
Faust Harrison Pianos
Faust Harrison 100+ Steinway pianos
(ad)
Mason & Hamlin Pianos
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Pianist Magazine back issues
by cstueart - 05/19/22 10:41 AM
Keith Jarrett Chord Progressions (video)
by indigo_dave - 05/19/22 10:07 AM
Rounded keytops
by zxac - 05/19/22 09:50 AM
Change of Screen Name
by Bart K - 05/19/22 09:46 AM
Most recorded piece
by pianoloverus - 05/19/22 09:27 AM
Download Sheet Music
Virtual Sheet Music - Classical Sheet Music Downloads
Forum Statistics
Forums43
Topics213,143
Posts3,192,847
Members105,315
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010
Please Support Our Advertisers

Faust Harrison 100+ Steinways

Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver

Best of Piano Buyer

PianoTeq Bechstein
Visit our online store for gifts for music lovers

Virtual Sheet Music - Classical Sheet Music Downloads

Help keep the forums up and running with a donation, any amount is appreciated!
Or by becoming a Subscribing member! Thank-you.
Donate   Subscribe

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations | Pianos For Sale | Sell Your Piano |

Advertise on Piano World
| Subscribe | Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map | Free Newsletter | MapleStreetMusicShop.com - Our store in Cornish Maine

© copyright 1997 - 2022 Piano World ® all rights reserved
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission