2022 our 25th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

Shop our online store for music lovers
SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Pianoteq
Steinway Spiro Layering
(ad)
Piano Life Saver - Dampp Chaser
Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver
(ad)
Wessell Nickel & Gross
PianoForAll
Who's Online Now
70 members (AaronSF, 36251, achoo42, astrotoy, adrian4444, AJB, accordeur, 22 invisible), 763 guests, and 351 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
(ad)
Estonia Pianos
Estonia Pianos
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
J
JackQ89 Offline OP
OP Offline
J
I would like to have recommendation for a good noise cancelling headphones, while the main use will be for Piano connected via digital cable, would like to have BT options for traveling, like in a bus or airplane.

Thanks.

Last edited by JackQ89; 01/28/22 01:42 AM.

Owner of Roland LX-705 LA, But fan of Kawai
Are you sure you mean 'digital cable?' It's my (perhaps limited) understanding that most digital pianos only have analogue output...

2000 Post Club Member
2000 Post Club Member
Hi curates_egg!

Congratulations for your first post after almost twelve years on this forum. wink

Originally Posted by curates_egg
It's my (perhaps limited) understanding that most digital pianos only have analogue output...

Most digital pianos have a MIDI output, which is digital. Midi output is actually rather fantastic, because you can save every single thing you have played without it taking much place.

Playing the piano is learning to create, playfully and deeply seriously, our own music in the world.
... feeling like the pianist on the Titanic ...
2000 Post Club Member
2000 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by JackQ89
I would like to have recommendation for a good noise cancelling headphones, while the main use will be for Piano connected via digital cable, would like to have BT options for traveling, like in a bus or airplane.

Thanks.

I have an earlier version of Sony's WH-1000XM4. They are wireless, but there is a supplied headphone cable. When my husband bought them for me, he tried every brand there was in the store, and these were the best.

I would just like to warn against the dishonest name "noise cancelling". AFAIK, noise cancelling headphones do not exist. They are all noise reducing. It is a shame they get away with this.

Playing the piano is learning to create, playfully and deeply seriously, our own music in the world.
S
S
With digital cable, do you mean a USB-C cable?

What piano do you have? I'm not aware of any models that support sound-output over USB-C the way that current smartphones do.

Originally Posted by Animisha
Most digital pianos have a MIDI output, which is digital. Midi output is actually rather fantastic, because you can save every single thing you have played without it taking much place.

By my understanding, the midi output would also mean that he needs a midi to headphone converter in the middle which will have its own sounds rather than using the ones integrated with the piano. I don't think that's what JackQ89 is looking for.

Kawai CA79
2000 Post Club Member
2000 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by steamrick
With digital cable, do you mean a USB-C cable?

What piano do you have? I'm not aware of any models that support sound-output over USB-C the way that current smartphones do.

By my understanding, the midi output would also mean that he needs a midi to headphone converter in the middle which will have its own sounds rather than using the ones integrated with the piano. I don't think that's what JackQ89 is looking for.

Oh all this confusion! However, by my understanding, all digital pianos also have anologue output - that is, they don't only produce a midi file, but you can also hear the sounds that you make. Any ordinary headphone will do for hearing that sound.

A
A
My vote also goes for the Sony WH1000 headphones mentioned by Animisha. My son has a pair and they are very good.

The noise reduction is excellent and you can plug them in with a cable into an analog output (ie the headphone socket on your piano).

I'd be a far better pianist if I spent the time I'm on this forum playing my piano instead.
Some people are giving confusing information here.

There are definitely headphones that cancel (almost) all noise.

Listening via Bluetooth is ok for music, but not for piano playing - too much lag.

There is no such thing as a MIDI to headphones converter. You cannot listen to MIDI as such.

@OP: I don't know what you mean by 'digital cable'. If you mean USB - digital pianos generally don't support USB headphones. Almost all DPs have an analog jack connection for headphones. Also, what is your budget?

Last edited by Ostinato; 01/28/22 09:06 AM.
_
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
_
I would just like to warn against the dishonest name "noise cancelling". AFAIK, noise cancelling headphones do not exist. They are all noise reducing. It is a shame they get away with this.

Well I think it not dishonest but reflects that inside there is tech that attempts to cancel outside noise actively by measuring with a mic, estimating, and generating a counter-signal. Active cancellation is indeed not effective for all kinds of noise.
Non-cancelling ones (closed-back and in-ear) also achieve certain reduction passively.

A
A
Active noise cancelling can work extremely well for some types of noise, generally where its repetitive, think of a plane engine. They're not as effective when it's more random.

I'd be a far better pianist if I spent the time I'm on this forum playing my piano instead.
P
4000 Post Club Member
4000 Post Club Member
P
Noise cancelling headphones are designed for noise reduction in high noise environments and are specific in their capabilities. Whereas a pair of David Clark passive noise reduction headphones reduces some noise by 23dB in a very narrow frequency range, DC active noise cancellation can achieve up to 30dB noise reduction at 150Hz. Great in my airplane cockpit, not so great on my DP.

Choose carefully. I have a pair of active Bose earbuds and used them when my wife was teaching voice and simultaneously accompanying on piano. They were fabulous at reducing essentially all the sound to a barely perceptible and completely ignorable level allowing me to concentrate on reading or studying or whatever. They do add a bit of noise (white or pink, I'm not sure which) but not bothersome.

2000 Post Club Member
2000 Post Club Member
I had my Sony so called noise cancelling headphones on when I sat next to a man who was literally screaming with anger into his mobile phone. I could still easily hear every single word he screamed, so I had to switch seats. And that was before I had my hearing aids!

5000 Post Club Member
5000 Post Club Member
Bear in mind that MIDI has nothing to do with sound. MIDI just contains information about key presses and pedal movements. It can contain a lot more, but never the actual sound.

2000 Post Club Member
2000 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by johnstaf
Bear in mind that MIDI has nothing to do with sound. MIDI just contains information about key presses and pedal movements. It can contain a lot more, but never the actual sound.

You are quite right! MIDI entered the discussion as a response to the thought that "most digital pianos only have analogue output".

P
4000 Post Club Member
4000 Post Club Member
P
I had my Sony so called noise cancelling headphones on when I sat next to a man who was literally screaming with anger into his mobile phone. I could still easily hear every single word he screamed, so I had to switch seats. And that was before I had my hearing aids!
I'm not any headphones would subdue a proximal angry human. It was fortunate you could distance yourself.

Turning down one's hearing aids might be a welcome respite from the cacophony that forms much of our aural experience these days.

Ah, blessed silence.

Last edited by prout; 01/28/22 03:31 PM.
Hi curates_egg!

Congratulations for your first post after almost twelve years on this forum. wink

'Hi' back and thank you - what can I say, I'm a slow mover! MIDI is indeed great - I'm a big Pianoteq fan smile

N
Online Content
N
Originally Posted by JackQ89

Thanks.

I have an earlier version of Sony's WH-1000XM4. They are wireless, but there is a supplied headphone cable. When my husband bought them for me, he tried every brand there was in the store, and these were the best.

I don't think it's dishonest. I never know anyone who expected 100% complete isolation, and moreover I'm quite sure the name derives from the physics. Destructive interference of any kind of wave is sometimes called cancelation, and that's precisely what the headphones do =]

They are also far more effective at certain frequencies than others.

Moderated by  Piano World 

Link Copied to Clipboard
(ad)
Best of Piano Buyer
Piano Buyer - Read the Articles, Explore the website
(ad)
PianoDisc

PianoDisc
(ad)
Faust Harrison Pianos
Faust Harrison 100+ Steinway pianos
(ad)
Mason & Hamlin Pianos
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Kawai ES520 Teardown
by KawaFanboi - 05/20/22 01:00 PM
My Kawai RX3 finally started to sounds like Kawai
by Joonsung - 05/20/22 12:52 PM
I need some advice
by Lúthien - 05/20/22 12:23 PM
Harmonization by pentatonic chords
by Nahum - 05/20/22 06:25 AM
Studio Grand from XLN audio for 62€
by klausi6 - 05/20/22 06:23 AM
Download Sheet Music
Virtual Sheet Music - Classical Sheet Music Downloads
Forum Statistics
Forums43
Topics213,159
Posts3,193,204
Members105,328
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010
Please Support Our Advertisers

Faust Harrison 100+ Steinways

Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver

Best of Piano Buyer

PianoTeq Bechstein
Visit our online store for gifts for music lovers

Virtual Sheet Music - Classical Sheet Music Downloads

Help keep the forums up and running with a donation, any amount is appreciated!
Or by becoming a Subscribing member! Thank-you.
Donate   Subscribe

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations | Pianos For Sale | Sell Your Piano |

Advertise on Piano World
| Subscribe | Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map | Free Newsletter | MapleStreetMusicShop.com - Our store in Cornish Maine

© copyright 1997 - 2022 Piano World ® all rights reserved
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission