2022 our 25th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

Shop our online store for music lovers
SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Pianoteq
Steinway Spiro Layering
(ad)
Piano Life Saver - Dampp Chaser
Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver
(ad)
Wessell Nickel & Gross
PianoForAll
Who's Online Now
71 members (36251, achoo42, astrotoy, AaronSF, adrian4444, AJB, accordeur, anamnesis, anotherscott, 20 invisible), 801 guests, and 359 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
(ad)
Estonia Pianos
Estonia Pianos
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
G
OP Offline
G
Hi everyone.
please let every one knows about the name a genre you don't like, and reasons why don't you like it.

You can follow other members comments and offer some suggestions. Make sure they are helpful and try to address what the person likes or dislikes

Gustavo Woltmann : UK based rock band guitarist
T
T
Hi, Pop is the best for me.

A
A
I like different genres in different ways, so tricky question requiring boring explanations.
The *first* genre I fell in love with was classical.
Followed immediately by Motown soul RB and jazz.
Bach and Aretha and Coltrane growing up.
Smart parents, their record player.
MY first record player, then pop, rock, metal, celtic, opera, 50s oldies, classic country, etc.

The *last and latest* genre I'm into a bit is EDM (Electronic Dance Music).
Which coincidentally is the only genre I think I could hit the charts on if I really tried as a composer and musician.
I think in 64 tracks pretty well.
But only about 5% of it, the other 95% I hate.
Female vocalists or instrumental, no male vocalists.
What is EDM at it's VERY best, if you've never heard any EDM?
Avicii's Levels, if you don't like Levels, you just don't like EDM.
Good (very mellow) EDM: DeadMau5 "I Remember" (the cool sounds don't start till 1:30 in)

As for what I don't like? I'll keep that to myself. :)

J
J
Hi, I love country and western music a lot, especially the old stuff. I was a Hank Williams fan back then and still love his music. I also like folk and bluegrass. At about age 20 I started listening to pop and later on old favorites and love songs. I have loved apostolic church music, the old hand clapping music all of my life. I played clarinet, sax, and accordion at different times during those years. At age 62 I took up piano and try to play just about all kinds of music.

As for what I dislike, maybe only rap and heavy metal. I like some classical and have played one or two numbers but classical is not my thing.

Presently I am studying jazz with Mark Levine's books. I like jazz ballads but I am not keen on improvisation. I am just looking to dress up the numbers and make them sound better.

N
N
I like simplistic lo-fi dungeon synth and martial industrial. For me, these are neo-classics done right. And yeah I hate neo-classics.

Y
Y
I love jazz fusion, west coast AOR, RnB (in the style of David Sanborn) and new age piano with jazz influences.

There's some classical music that I think sounds amazing, but honestly I dislike most of the classical repertoire.

I dislike most of the modern pop music, starting from around the turn of the century. I grew up in the 90's and 00's, but I always preferred listening to the music from before my time.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zvHtRHsHxhQ&ab_channel=JayOliver

Example of the kind of piano music I adore.

W
W
[quote=gustavo woltmann]Hi everyone.
please let every one knows about the name a genre you don't like, and reasons why don't you like it.

You can follow other members comments and offer some suggestions. Make sure they are helpful and try to address what the person likes or dislikes[/quote]

Lately I've been obsessed with Dreampop................ one genre that I greatly dislike is Reggaeton......... why? bc normally their lyrics are focused on sex but in a dirty way..... I mean sex is perfectly normal and natural but in a reggaeton song they talk about it in a very negative way.... well, that's my opinion of course

2000 Post Club Member
2000 Post Club Member
[quote=gustavo woltmann]Hi everyone.
please let every one knows about the name a genre you don't like, and reasons why don't you like it.[/quote]

Hi gustavo!

How come you want to know which music people don't like?

I don't like jazz, except for very rarely played life in a cafe. The reason - it is noise to me.
I don't like a lot of modern music that I don't even know what genre it is. It is music with a strong focus on rhythm, and a choppy sound. The reason is, I don't like choppy sounds, and I prefer music with strong melodies. (But of course, there are exceptions.)

Playing the piano is learning to create, playfully and deeply seriously, our own music in the world.
... feeling like the pianist on the Titanic ...
I love country, rhythm and blues, classical and pop music. It makes me sway and frolic.
What I don't prefer is punk rock, electronic and heavy metal. I dislike loud music. It's not my thing. It gives no peace to me.

I'm half surprised and half not surprised that hip-hop was not mentioned. This is probably the genre I'm MOST familiar with, and I love it. I also really love RnB, some pop (specific artists), soul, jazz, fusion, prog, metal, hyperpop (yeah you can crucify me), and folk. I really love music with lots of energy, even if I can appreciate slower and more subdued music.

I left out classical music, because I consider my love for classical music as a very different love than contemporary. Actually, you can throw jazz and fusion in there too. They're obviously all music, all equally valid and moving in their own ways, but I think I expect different things from instrumental music. I often admire them for their form, harmonic elements or sound design. The instrumentation is at the foreground so it needs to be thought out (this is all my opinion of course), and I can't stand when these genres show up in my Spotify analytics because it ruins my end of year playlists. Listening to a fantastic funk and soul inspired cut from Silk Sonic to be followed by the third movement of Beethoven's Pastorale sonata is not really why I use the "2021 Wrapped" playlist. For this reason, I often listen to jazz, classical and other instrumental genres on YouTube rather than streaming, so not to mess with my recommendations. Another funny thing is getting a new recording of a Bach concerto in my "Release Radar" playlist, as though a new concerto dropped this Friday which I do find hilarious, but it also leads me away from using the only curated Spotify playlist I use on a consistent basis.

For music I don't like, pop-punk takes the cake. I really don't make bold claims about genres frequently, but it's so rare that I'm even half impressed by a pop-punk song. I often just vomit in my mouth a little when I hear the half whiny, half smug, nasal vocals of some dude attempting to appeal to an audience a third his age. It's often compressed to heck and lacks much innovation. Even the biggest bands in the genre are struggling and just trying to remake hit tracks. Again though, this is an overgeneralization and there have been occasions that pop-punk has been enjoyable for me, even if I can't name a track off the top of my head.

Working On:
Bach BWV 870
Beethoven Op. 90
Schubert Op. 90 No. 3
Chopin Op. 31 and Op. 10 No. 3
[quote=Yojimbo]
I dislike most of the modern pop music, starting from around the turn of the century. I grew up in the 90's and 00's, but I always preferred listening to the music from before my time.
[/quote]
I think this can be fair, but I'm curious what you think of some of the revivalist projects that seem to have come out as of late. Stuff like The Weeknd's "Dawn FM" or Silk Sonic's "An Evening With Silk Sonic". Personally, I love music from all eras, though I do agree that a lot of modern pop music (or that which is pushed onto people via the radio) is pretty overblown. I also would love to know what you think about someone like Billie Eilish or Taylor Swift, artists who have both shown to be pretty true to themselves as writers and musicians. A group like The Chainsmokers on the other hand, are pretty much the epitome of what's wrong with the modern pop industry.

Working On:
Bach BWV 870
Beethoven Op. 90
Schubert Op. 90 No. 3
[quote=wilsonsKey]
Lately I've been obsessed with Dreampop................ one genre that I greatly dislike is Reggaeton......... why? bc normally their lyrics are focused on sex but in a dirty way..... I mean sex is perfectly normal and natural but in a reggaeton song they talk about it in a very negative way.... well, that's my opinion of course[/quote]
Can you elaborate on what you mean by "negative way" of speaking about sex? I understand it's your opinion but I also don't really understand your reasoning. Is it just instinctual or are there specific reasons? Is it different in any way from the way it's approached in hip-hop for instance?

Working On:
Bach BWV 870
Beethoven Op. 90
Schubert Op. 90 No. 3
P
P
Hello all! I'm here and I'm musician. I'm writing music then download them on [url=https://depositphotos.com/music.html]royalty free music free[/url] platform. Music don't have copyright, but download you can them when you have subscription. Author earns money when his track downloaded, more downloads, more salary. And that's why I hate pop music, i can create track for 5 minutes and I can't see nothing hard in it, but theese songs are the most payed. I've doing this for around 3 years and I already tired of doing this genre

P
P
[url=https://depositphotos.com/music.html]stock music free[/url]

Y
Y
[quote=13bwl][quote=Yojimbo]
[/quote]
I think this can be fair, but I'm curious what you think of some of the revivalist projects that seem to have come out as of late. Stuff like The Weeknd's "Dawn FM" or Silk Sonic's "An Evening With Silk Sonic". Personally, I love music from all eras, though I do agree that a lot of modern pop music (or that which is pushed onto people via the radio) is pretty overblown. I also would love to know what you think about someone like Billie Eilish or Taylor Swift, artists who have both shown to be pretty true to themselves as writers and musicians. A group like The Chainsmokers on the other hand, are pretty much the epitome of what's wrong with the modern pop industry.[/quote]

For me it comes down to sound concept. Modern popular music seem to follow a general trend of very compressed dynamics and a uniform sound concept. For a car ride, I can see why this is beneficial since you'll always hear the music whereas with dynamic music, the quieter parts might get lost amidst road noise. For musical enjoyment though, I kind of require a wider dynamic range in the music, otherwise my ears get tired too easily.

I do admit though that my definition of "modern pop" only includes the most readily available western music. I'm not a big fan of Eilish or Swift either. There's just nothing about their music that catches my interest. Korean and Japanese pop on the other hand is a completely different ballgame.

I do think that modern western pop is a result of HOW we listen to music, which is to say that it's listened to as background noise. So having a compressed dynamic range and simple chordal changes makes for easy listening that doesn't distract from the main task, be it work, studies, gaming or something else.

C
C
Genre likes...metal, rock, classical, jazz, hip-hop, electronic...and various subgenres therein.

Wow, that's almost everything. There isn't that much in terms of *genre* that I absolutely hate. But if I had to call somebody out, I'd say that there isn't much country I enjoy (some is fine, maybe I just never got into it). I'm not a huge pop fan either, but I can listen to it sometimes for fun (I tend to not take it that seriously but can appreciate it for what it is). Not so experienced with genres like soul, funk, blues, but find them fun to listen to.

Because I'm a guitarist as well, I tend to like music with virtuoso guitar playing...including many kinds of metal. I don't listen to nearly as much classical as I used to, but when I do, it's often something baroque. I love listening to and playing organ music. It's my dream to buy a pipe organ sometime in retirement as my final instrument.

But yeah the tracks I listen to most generally fall under a heavier genre of music like metal. Which is interesting, because the music I'm most passionate about playing is solo piano music. I'd say it's some kind of classical/jazz fusion.

R
R
I like too many genres. But even I can't get past the cringiness of Christian rock, and I'm saying this as a Christian.

Soli Chopin gloria
A
A
I like a lot of genres, but my favorite is jazz.

L
L
Pop music the best!!!

H
H
Country pop music. The kind where every song/album has something to do with a "dusty dirt road," beer, country girls being the best, trucks, or being overly patriotic, or being self-righteously proud of their own cultural ignorance. Country music is a shambles.

Link Copied to Clipboard
(ad)
Best of Piano Buyer
Piano Buyer - Read the Articles, Explore the website
(ad)
PianoDisc

PianoDisc
(ad)
Faust Harrison Pianos
Faust Harrison 100+ Steinway pianos
(ad)
Mason & Hamlin Pianos
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Kawai ES520 Teardown
by KawaFanboi - 05/20/22 01:00 PM
My Kawai RX3 finally started to sounds like Kawai
by Joonsung - 05/20/22 12:52 PM
I need some advice
by Lúthien - 05/20/22 12:23 PM
Harmonization by pentatonic chords
by Nahum - 05/20/22 06:25 AM
Studio Grand from XLN audio for 62€
by klausi6 - 05/20/22 06:23 AM
Download Sheet Music
Virtual Sheet Music - Classical Sheet Music Downloads
Forum Statistics
Forums43
Topics213,159
Posts3,193,204
Members105,328
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010
Please Support Our Advertisers

Faust Harrison 100+ Steinways

Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver

Best of Piano Buyer

PianoTeq Bechstein
Visit our online store for gifts for music lovers

Virtual Sheet Music - Classical Sheet Music Downloads

Help keep the forums up and running with a donation, any amount is appreciated!
Or by becoming a Subscribing member! Thank-you.
Donate   Subscribe

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations | Pianos For Sale | Sell Your Piano |

Advertise on Piano World
| Subscribe | Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map | Free Newsletter | MapleStreetMusicShop.com - Our store in Cornish Maine

© copyright 1997 - 2022 Piano World ® all rights reserved
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission