2022 our 25th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Who's Online Now
68 members (accordeur, akse0435, danno858, AlkansBookcase, David B, Barry_Braksick, BadSanta, danbot3, 12 invisible), 1,841 guests, and 302 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3
#3188565 01/25/22 09:20 PM
C
OP Offline
C
Hi all,
I posted on the other side (piano) a few months ago but since then, due to family upheaval, I think I have to go with a digital for my son's bday next month. Soooo...I had wanted (or rather he does) an acoustic, or a digital as close to an acoustic as we can without breaking the bank, and he really loved the ca79. Of course. Now that we need something more moveable/portable, I'm trying to decide if I should go with the Kawai es920 as I can get a stand for it if need be. Anyone out there with advice? And, of course, we're going through the current times so hopefully I can find what I decide on by then. smirk
Thanks all!

C
OP Offline
C
oh! Forgot...someone mentioned the korg G1 as an option, any opinions?

H
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
H
Hello,

From your post, it isn't clear to me why you wouldn't stick with the CA79, if that is what Caleb loves and is already some step down from an acoustic.

In portability/movability there isn't much of a difference between the CA79 and the Korg you mention. But keyboard and sound are much better, to my fingers and ears, on the CA79.

Keep in mind that such pianos are essentially an upper part on a stand just as a 'slab' (ES920 is a 'slab') on a proprietary stand is, with only a few screws joining upper and lower. The weights are different of course. This does not apply to e.g. the CA99, which because of its soundboard is a one-piece, more heavy piano.

So if Caleb loves the CA79, I'd say stick with it. If budget is prohibitive, look into other Kawai options with wooden actions (CA49, CA59) or if need be step "down" to folded plastic actions (CN29, CN39). The latter category is where the ES920 might come into view as well.

Cheers and happy considering,

HZ

C
OP Offline
C
hzpiano,
sorry I didn't make that clear, I'm trying to find one that is more portable. As far as I know, the CA's are set in a 'wood' stand and not removable, and I'm not sure we'll have room for that. smirk They're not as easily moveable, to my knowledge.
But...I heard that the sound and keyboard on the es920 is almost as good, do you not agree?

H
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
H
Hello,

In that case, the Korg G1 isn't an option either.

To compare key feel and sound, it is essential to try the instruments (together with your son) in person and make further decisions from there.

Cheers and happy further research,

HZ

Platinum Supporter until November 30 2022
Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member

Calebsmum - You might find this interesting. Compares the Responsive Hammer III action of the es920 to the Grand Feel Compact and Grand Feel III actions found in the CA series.

Mason and Hamlin BB - 91640
Kawai K-500 Upright
Kawai CA-65 Digital
Korg SP-100 Stage Piano
YouTube channel - http://www.youtube.com/user/pianophilo
Carey #3189101 01/27/22 07:57 PM
C
OP Offline
C
Thanks Carey!
Hzpiano, sadly, we live where there aren't any stores selling them. We had to drive a few hours away just to try the ones we did (ca79), but I'd rather not do that again. smirk

Originally Posted by calebsmum
But...I heard that the sound and keyboard on the es920 is almost as good, do you not agree?
The sound, perhaps, but the keyboard action is different. One thing I like about my CA65 (the predecessor to the CA79) is that the pedals feel like those of a real acoustic - because they are attached to a solid frame. I've found that the pedals used with stage pianos (like the es920) tend to move around a bit on the floor - which is annoying. If you have the space for a es920, you should have the space for something in the CA series. Yes, the instruments are less
"portable" - but why would you need portability?

Kawai K-500 Upright
Kawai CA-65 Digital
Korg SP-100 Stage Piano
C
OP Offline
C
carey, thinking portability because we move alot, and I'm also thinking about taking him on a road trip camper van style for a couple months visiting family and would love for him to have it with us. The kawai es920 and yamaha p515 are the only ones I know of that I can take the keyboard out of a cabinet stand if need be and leave the cabinet behind.

Just found this helpful review of the es920

https://www.pianobuyer.com/article/review-kawai-es920/

Regarding the frame and pedals....

"Kawai’s optional HM-5 designer stand costs another $259, though quality aftermarket stands can be found for $60 to $150. Opting for the F-302 three-pedal bar that connects to the factory stand (instead of the included F-10H single pedal) adds $169. Players using an aftermarket stand can instead purchase Kawai’s GFP-3 standalone three-pedal unit for around $125."

For a more authentic piano playing experience, I would certainly opt for a 3 pedal unit rather than a single pedal.

Kawai K-500 Upright
Kawai CA-65 Digital
Korg SP-100 Stage Piano

carey, thinking portability because we move a lot, and I'm also thinking about taking him on a road trip camper van style for a couple months visiting family and would love for him to have it with us. The kawai es920 and yamaha p515 are the only ones I know of that I can take the keyboard out of a cabinet stand if need be and leave the cabinet behind.
OK - makes sense - although you might want to consider purchasing a special carrying bag (or second hand hard case) for the keyboard as well to protect it. Please see my comments regarding 3 versus a single pedal. Just curious, how advanced a player is your son at this point?

Kawai K-500 Upright
Kawai CA-65 Digital
Korg SP-100 Stage Piano
C
OP Offline
C
carey, thanks so much for all of your time, I've been stressing over this decision all year. And now it's his bday and I'm out of time! argghh...Anyway, He's 16 (almost) and he's been playing on a cheap casio entry level for 3 years now.

carey, thanks so much for all of your time, I've been stressing over this decision all year. And now it's his bday and I'm out of time! argghh...Anyway, He's 16 (almost) and he's been playing on a cheap casio entry level for 3 years now.
Well it is definitely time for him to move up to a better instrument. smile I understand that portability is desired. What kind of music does your son play? Classical? Jazz? Pop? My bias may be showing here (and someone may vehemently disagree with me), but if your son's focus is classical I would encourage you to go with a more stationary CA series digital with the Grand Feel action. If he primarily plays other styles, the ES920 would probably be fine.

Last edited by Carey; 01/27/22 09:32 PM.

Kawai K-500 Upright
Kawai CA-65 Digital
Korg SP-100 Stage Piano
Carey #3189168 01/27/22 11:41 PM
C
OP Offline
C
Originally Posted by Carey
Well it is definitely time for him to move up to a better instrument. smile I understand that portability is desired. What kind of music does your son play? Classical? Jazz? Pop? My bias may be showing here (and someone may vehemently disagree with me), but if your son's focus is classical I would encourage you to go with a more stationary CA series digital with the Grand Feel action. If he primarily plays other styles, the ES920 would probably be fine.

He plays a variety, does a lot of improv, creating his own music. His teacher has had him doing classical for lessons, but he prefers to go on youtube and pick songs he likes to play, but I'd say he leans toward a classical feel. I would love to get him one that is both portable but with a cabinet as well, and wood keys. I see the yamaha has the p515 that has those features, but he prefers the Kawai sound, and besides, like most of the kawai, it's out of stock everywhere. I guess I put this off too long.

He plays a variety, does a lot of improv, creating his own music. His teacher has had him doing classical for lessons, but he prefers to go on youtube and pick songs he likes to play, but I'd say he leans toward a classical feel. I would love to get him one that is both portable but with a cabinet as well, and wood keys. I see the yamaha has the p515 that has those features, but he prefers the Kawai sound, and besides, like most of the kawai, it's out of stock everywhere. I guess I put this off too long.
I checked the Sweetwater site and it states that Kawai has suspended production of the ES920 until July 2022, with new ones being available late in the 3rd quarter. Don't know if that is really true, but I'm hoping you'll be able to find one somewhere. Regarding the sound of Kawai vs. Yamaha, I play my CA65 with headphones 98% of the time and the sound is great. The on board speakers are less satisfactory. Was your son judging the sound of the p515 while wearing headphones or simply through the on board speakers? The all wood keys sound appealing. I appreciate the fact, however, that you live a good distance from any retail stores that carry these instruments, so it is not that easy to audition them.

Last edited by Carey; 01/28/22 12:50 AM.

Kawai K-500 Upright
Kawai CA-65 Digital
Korg SP-100 Stage Piano
Carey #3189191 01/28/22 02:23 AM
C
OP Offline
C
Originally Posted by Carey
I checked the Sweetwater site and it states that Kawai has suspended production of the ES920 until July 2022, with new ones being available late in the 3rd quarter. Don't know if that is really true, but I'm hoping you'll be able to find one somewhere. Regarding the sound of Kawai vs. Yamaha, I play my CA65 with headphones 98% of the time and the sound is great. The on board speakers are less satisfactory. Was your son judging the sound of the p515 while wearing headphones or simply through the on board speakers? The all wood keys sound appealing. I appreciate the fact, however, that you live a good distance from any retail stores that carry these instruments, so it is not that easy to audition them.

Yes, it's quite difficult to decide without seeing/playing them and just relying on reviews, which vary so drastically based on individual preference. On one site they rave about one and on the other say no. I just watched James on thePianoforever review site say neither the es520 nor the es920 are worth it and just stick with the es110. Pulling hair out....ugghh. Oh, btw, he hasn't played the yamaha as we don't have one being sold where we live. But he has played a Kawai acoustic and the ca79 and loved them both. Sooo....

E
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
E
On one site they rave about one and on the other say no. I just watched James on thePianoforever review site say neither the es520 nor the es920 are worth it and just stick with the es110.

I wouldn't take this guy's opinion much seriously if I were in your shoes. That is not to say ES110 is bad or ES520 (ES110's successor - kind of) is much better, I cannot comment on that but ES110 has many users around here that love it. I suspect ES520 must be as hard to find as ES920 these days, but I am not sure. ES110 has a lighter touch than the Yamahas, based on users reports; depending on your son's preferences, that could be good or not. Anyway, if you find it new, IMO it may be a good temporary (ish) choice until things improve (COVID-wise) and life returns to normality (which may take some time).

Kawai ES8, Roland RD2000, Yamaha AG06 mixer, Presonus Eris E5 monitors, Sennheiser HD598SR phones.
P
P
I'm also thinking about taking him on a road trip camper van style for a couple months visiting family and [...] I can take the keyboard out of a cabinet stand if need be and leave the cabinet behind.

This thought has a lot of appeal, but I recommend against leaving the cabinet behind. If your son is serious about piano playing and practices daily, he also needs a stand (and bench, and light) during this couple of months. The keys need to be firmly supported at the usual height, otherwise his back, arms, and tendons will be unnecessarily stressed, resulting in fatigue and possibly even injury.

A
A
Whatever piano you end up buying, I just want to congratulate Caleb on his choice of Mother. It really warms my heart to see the work and commitment you put into this to make the best for your son!

Stay safe and Best of luck with your search!

Peter
--------------------------------
Yamaha U1 (sold) / Kawai CS11 / Kawai ES-120 / Hammond XK-3c
Working on: PCA Beginner Course and
Tim Richards - Improvising Blues Piano
Ajax69 #3189272 01/28/22 09:28 AM
H
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
H
Originally Posted by Ajax69
Whatever piano you end up buying, I just want to congratulate Caleb on his choice of Mother. It really warms my heart to see the work and commitment you put into this to make the best for your son!

Stay safe and Best of luck with your search!

Hello,

+1!

And what a sweet, to-the-point post this is, @Ajax69!

Cheers and happy compassion,

HZ

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3

Link Copied to Clipboard
What's Hot!!
Piano World Has Been Sold!
--------------------
Forums RULES, Terms of Service & HELP
(updated 06/06/2022)
---------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
(ad)
(ad)
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Estonia 1990
by Iberia - 04/16/24 11:01 AM
Very Cheap Piano?
by Tweedpipe - 04/16/24 10:13 AM
Practical Meaning of SMP
by rneedle - 04/16/24 09:57 AM
Country style lessons
by Stephen_James - 04/16/24 06:04 AM
How Much to Sell For?
by TexasMom1 - 04/15/24 10:23 PM
Forum Statistics
Forums43
Topics223,390
Posts3,349,260
Members111,633
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations |

Advertise on Piano World
| Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map

Copyright © VerticalScope Inc. All Rights Reserved.
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission